Billikens.com Message Board

I realize I have not posted in a few days, but I got little kid Christmas morning excited when I saw the Goodwin and French announcements. I always assumed they would come back, but damn was it good to see that solidified and then to start thinking about the 2020-21 season. I could not be any more excited. The talent on this roster is crazy, great job Coach Ford and staff. And with how the team was trending this season despite some key injuries, something special is brewing in midtown. Not to bring up bad memories, but big time props to Jordan Goodwin for being all in on SLU despite what occurred his freshman year. The guy will always be one of my all time favorite Billikens, now go out with a bang Jordan (and Hasahn).

Elf GIFs | Tenor

55 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Would also be nice to get a home and home with a top Valley team in addition to just our rival SIUC. UNI or Loyola would be good for our NET this year. 

Loyola is the only Valley team I would be interested in playing a home and home with like SIUC.

SLU recruits in Chicago and I like Porter.  I would like a bigger foot print in that region.  SLU has landed some good players from Chicago like Perry, Evans, McCall, and Jacobs.  I would like to see more Chicago players if we cannot get local players.

34 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Loyola is the only Valley team I would be interested in playing a home and home with like SIUC.

SLU recruits in Chicago and I like Porter.  I would like a bigger foot print in that region.  SLU has landed some good players from Chicago like Perry, Evans, McCall, and Jacobs.  I would like to see more Chicago players if we cannot get local players.

Iowa has produced a surprising number of 3 star recruits who have produced in college over the last five years, with nowhere near the recruiting attention that Chicago gets. The high school coaches there are doing something right.  I wouldn't mind getting into that market.

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Iowa has produced a surprising number of 3 star recruits who have produced in college over the last five years, with nowhere near the recruiting attention that Chicago gets. The high school coaches there are doing something right.  I wouldn't mind getting into that market.

the fact that state and Iowa went 0-2 in 2010 on Harrison Barnes and Doug McDermott must be painful.

13 minutes ago, wgstl said:

the fact that state and Iowa went 0-2 in 2010 on Harrison Barnes and Doug McDermott must be painful.

It's even more amazing that Iowa State had two pros in school IN AMES(!) and neither of them went to school there.

Clearly you guys haven't been to Ames, where the dream of every child growing up there is to get out of Ames.

41 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Clearly you guys haven't been to Ames, where the dream of every child growing up there is to get out of Ames.

This.  I've never understood this.  I've spent a LOT of time in Ames; and my wife is a Cyclone.  She loved it there.  I enjoyed my time there.  I never understood the hate.
I always side with Fred Hoiberg though.  If it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

11 minutes ago, philliken said:

This.  I've never understood this.  I've spent a LOT of time in Ames; and my wife is a Cyclone.  She loved it there.  I enjoyed my time there.  I never understood the hate.
I always side with Fred Hoiberg though.  If it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

Pleasantville is awesome when you didn't grow up in Pleasantville.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

I trust yours and Pistol’s knowledge on recruiting so if you feel playing UNI could benefit SLU in area that could produce some exposure on good recruits I am all in for that.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Has and Jordan will go down as two of the best four year players in the history of our program.

My other three making the team are Bonner, Gray and Claggs.  That would be some team.  They would have all the bases covered, all 5 positions , rebounding, shooting.

6 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Gibson would like to speak. He wasn’t even getting warmed up before he got injured. Gibson and Perkins will be our scorers while Has and Goodwin will put up the defensive stats 

7 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Gibson would like to speak. He wasn’t even getting warmed up before he got injured. Gibson and Perkins will be our scorers while Has and Goodwin will put up the defensive stats 

I think those four players are the top scorers the way the team is constructed.  Everyone else will have to figure out a role.  Which will make for a very deep team.

16 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

I think those four players are the top scorers the way the team is constructed.  Everyone else will have to figure out a role.  Which will make for a very deep team.

Exactly. I don’t know why I got a bad post. 

Has and Goodwin will hover between 8-14 while Gibson and Perkins will be 15+ on average 

3 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Has and Goodwin will hover between 8-14 while Gibson and Perkins will be 15+ on average 

I’m not being critical, because I completely understand why you would say that...I just think JGood and Has are going to play hungry AF this year, especially as seniors. I wouldn’t be shocked if Gibson and Perk end up being our leading scorers, but I think all 4 of them will be close. That being said, I think we will be a noticeably higher-scoring team as a whole. I think Yuri will score more. I think Jimmy Bell will score more. I think we could have a different leading scorer every night, which will be extremely fun to watch!

20 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

The 1983 Louisville Cardinals were one of my favorite teams back in the day.    The offense was led by four guys averaging between 11 and 14 ppg,  they had two guys off the bench who could have started on most teams and they were strong defensively.  There was nowhere for opponents to hide.

8 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Goodwin averaged 15.5 ppg last year. Has averaged 12.4. Gibson has played in 10 DI games. Also, while Gibson can obviously splash down 20+ in a night, I think his offensive numbers could be more match-up dependent. Goodwin has that sort of workmanlike style that grinds out buckets and double-double flirtations night in and night out. Whereas if a team decides to lockdown Gibson and guard the perimeter - which some might - he'll have a quieter night while others put up numbers.  

Goodwin and Has are going to be in senior mode next season, fighting for their legacies and their futures in basketball, just like Bess and Isabell did two seasons ago. I wouldn't sell them short on anything, including the offensive aspect of their games. 

It's not a zero sum game. With three senior scoring threats and Yuri and Gibson one year older and more experienced, we might just be a team that puts up a lot of points.

42 minutes ago, Compton said:

Goodwin averaged 15.5 ppg last year. Has averaged 12.4. Gibson has played in 10 DI games. Also, while Gibson can obviously splash down 20+ in a night, I think his offensive numbers could be more match-up dependent. Goodwin has that sort of workmanlike style that grinds out buckets and double-double flirtations night in and night out. Whereas if a team decides to lockdown Gibson and guard the perimeter - which some might - he'll have a quieter night while others put up numbers.  

Goodwin and Has are going to be in senior mode next season, fighting for their legacies and their futures in basketball, just like Bess and Isabell did two seasons ago. I wouldn't sell them short on anything, including the offensive aspect of their games. 

It's not a zero sum game. With three senior scoring threats and Yuri and Gibson one year older and more experienced, we might just be a team that puts up a lot of points.

Yes but I’m not downplaying Goodwin or Has. I just think if we remain healthy, we have a significantly better team which leads to less playing time for Has or Goodwin. That’s a good thing. 

Their ppg and mpg were also correlated. Nothing against them as players at all but they aren’t the bucket getters that Gibson and Perkins are. Vastly different shooting %. 

Less minutes will mean a healthier And fresher Senior duo though. I still expect 28-30 mpg but not the sometimes 38 minutes they had 

5 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Jimerson is unlikely to average double digits. Remember, Perkins wasn't playing much early in the season, and Gibby benefited from that. Unless something weird happens, I wouldn't expect Jimerson to play more than 20 minutes, and probably average between 7-12 ppg. 

4 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Yes but I’m not downplaying Goodwin or Has. I just think if we remain healthy, we have a significantly better team which leads to less playing time for Has or Goodwin. That’s a good thing. 

Their ppg and mpg were also correlated. Nothing against them as players at all but they aren’t the bucket getters that Gibson and Perkins are. Vastly different shooting %. 

Less minutes will mean a healthier And fresher Senior duo though. I still expect 28-30 mpg but not the sometimes 38 minutes they had 

J Good is not playing less than 32mpg next year. He probably sits 4 minutes in the 1st half and 2 in the 2nd half, barring foul trouble. This isn't the NBA. There's no back to back, or brutal travel. And there's TV time outs. You play your best players for more than 75% of the game. 

1 minute ago, Crewsorlose said:

J Good is not playing less than 32mpg next year. He probably sits 4 minutes in the 1st half and 2 in the 2nd half, barring foul trouble. This isn't the NBA. There's no back to back, or brutal travel. And there's TV time outs. You play your best players for more than 75% of the game. 

I’m just hoping we have significantly less close games where JGood and Has can get a few extra minutes of rest. But in any games where there is even a doubt of winning, JGood will be playing at least 32 minutes.

1 hour ago, Crewsorlose said:

I fully agree.  Goodwin has averaged 34.5 minutes per game through his three years.  Coach isn't going to sit him.  "Okay, Mr. Senior Leader, Mr. Potential POY, Mr. Potential AA, let's cut your minutes in your last season."  He goes 40 if needed.

42 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I fully agree.  Goodwin has averaged 34.5 minutes per game through his three years.  Coach isn't going to sit him.  "Okay, Mr. Senior Leader, Mr. Potential POY, Mr. Potential AA, let's cut your minutes in your last season."  He goes 40 if needed.

100% agreed. He’s the best player in the league. He’s hardly ever going to come off the floor.

14 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Got to find another diamond in the rough there like Bryce Husak!!!