Billikens.com Message Board

21 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i would guess goodwin would be ford's goto no matter what at end of games.  think of the dayton game.  biggest game of the year and it was all about goodwin getting the ball as the clock ran down.  regardless of his free throws, he is still the best one on one guy on the team at this point. 

I seem to remember during the last strong Billiken era, the guy who closed out games wasn't a great FT shooter either. Jordair Jett did some big things at the end of  games. 

22 hours ago, Littlebill said:

I do think that we'd probably all feel better with the ball in Perkins's hands, though Goodwin is the senior leader. Really hard to complain about this though, as Jett is the only closer type guy we've had anytime recently.

As the season progressed, Perkins became the man in big situations. He just has so many different ways to score, plus he can get to the line and make them. Think of the game at St. Joe's - Perkins became the man.

10 minutes ago, ACE said:

As the season progressed, Perkins became the man in big situations. He just has so many different ways to score, plus he can get to the line and make them. Think of the game at St. Joe's - Perkins became the man.

I guess it is hard to say - we only had one close game after that - LaSalle, where everyone fouled out. I think we would have had some close games in the postseason, but covid

-I can see how especially for the upcoming season scheduling could be quite difficult and so an increase in conf games would make sense, what's the other side? we think we can get better NET games?

41 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I can see how especially for the upcoming season scheduling could be quite difficult and so an increase in conf games would make sense, what's the other side? we think we can get better NET games?

I guess one possible problem might have been that a number of schools had finished with their OOC schedules, which would have caused them to back out of commitments, some of which might have had negative consequences, such as buy games lost or needing to give up 2 home games while only adding one Conference home game.

-from https://pickinsplinters.com/2020/03/31/atlantic-10-seriously-considering-20-game-mens-basketball-schedule/

Atlantic 10 seriously considering 20-game men’s basketball schedule

By Chuckie Maggio on March 31, 2020No Comment

The Atlantic 10 Conference has been seriously discussing expanding its men’s basketball conference schedule to 20 games for a year and a half now, league commissioner Bernadette McGlade said Tuesday.

The A-10 would join leagues like the Atlantic Coast Conference, which switched to 20 games this past season, and the Big Ten Conference, which made the change before the 2018-19 campaign. The Pac-12 Conference has already implemented a 20-game schedule for next season.

McGlade, who saw the conference expand from 16 conference games to 18 matchups for the 2014-15 season, advocates adding two league games, calling it “practical” and “important” for the A-10 to maintain its competitiveness.

“There are a lot of practical reasons why a 20-game conference schedule is important and could be very important for the A-10,” McGlade explained. “One is, we’re a very big league. We’re 14 teams. We have a lot of teams, so we can absorb a 20-game conference schedule in a really positive way.

“Secondarily, the strength of the league. Especially this year, we finished extremely strong with high national rankings and there is a benefit to be able to schedule more games within your conference, as long as your teams are strong enough. The A-10 is.”

Before, those on-court motives powered the discussion between the league office, coaches and athletic directors. Now, in an unprecedented time for the business of college athletics, there are external, financial factors.

The NCAA announced last Thursday that it will reduce its direct distribution to Division I conferences and schools by about $375 million for 2020 in the wake of the men’s basketball tournament’s cancellation due to the coronavirus pandemic. The NCAA Tournament brought in $933 million of revenue last year, accounting for over three-quarters of its $1.12 billion revenue for the fiscal year ending Aug. 31, 2019.

The A-10 can take some solace in a reserve fund it built to absorb a situation like this, when the league and each of its institutions will feel the consequences of the pandemic’s financial hit.

McGlade foresees adding two games to league play as one possible way to reduce the budgetary impact.

“If everyone gets two more games on their schedule through the conference schedule, then that’s two less non-conference games,” McGlade remarked. “Often, at least one of those games could have been a game that you were paying for, that a school was guaranteeing for a team to come in and play so they could fill in their home season ticket schedule.

“Now all of a sudden, you have a school that would not be paying a guarantee game, which can range anywhere from $80,000 to $100,000. That’s a meaningful chunk of change that an institution can either redirect into another area or, in this case, perhaps an institution might not even have right now for one year.”

Even the loss of spring sport championships is going to cost the NCAA and its member conferences millions of dollars. Conferences will face a “massive” re-balancing of their current budgets, McGlade assessed, and there is a possibility that some schools will cut individual sports as a result. The A-10 hopes its investment fund remedies some of the lost revenue.

Despite the challenges COVID-19 has presented, which McGlade acknowledged were “much bigger than sports,” the 12th-year commissioner remained positive about the post-coronavirus college sports landscape.

I think that there’s gonna be an impressive and a tremendous resiliency that we’re gonna see out of college athletics,” McGlade commented. “I think there’s gonna be a greater appreciation. I love the saying, ‘Never underestimate the will of the human spirit.’ I think right now you’re seeing a tremendous amount of that. I do think that in some respects, college athletics was lagging behind a bit in certain ways of innovation, especially in terms of fan experience, et cetera.

“I do think all of that will be moved another level once we resume some sense of normalcy, whenever that is.”

I just saw that the NCAA ok'd voluntary on-campus workouts for football and men's and women's basketball.  A big first step in moving to those sports taking place as scheduled.  As I understand, it is still subject to conference and individual school approval and of course, state and local rules.

I would expect Frank to discuss it on his show this morning.

edit:   effective 6/1

Fall 2020 semester. to begin early @ SLU, probably Aug. 17; ending at Thanksgiving.  president P. sent this out today.  President of Notre Dame was on CNN last night, saying about the same thing.  Not sure how it impacts the basketball schedule... ??

22 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Fall 2020 semester. to begin early @ SLU, probably Aug. 17; ending at Thanksgiving.  president P. sent this out today.  President of Notre Dame was on CNN last night, saying about the same thing.  Not sure how it impacts the basketball schedule... ??

Good.  SLU needs to be proactive.  Parents/students simply won't pay this huge amount of money for online learning - nor should they.  College is more than using your laptop.  Online learning to supplement class learning?  Sure. Zoom meetings with faculty (many who are older and may be of higher risk?) Sure.  Replace a large lecture class?  Sure.  A new normal? Sure. And while no one is invincible, 19 to 23 years olds are probably the closest. But we, as a nation, have come so far in 2 months -- and August 17th is still 3 months away that we will be even further along by then.

On 5/20/2020 at 5:19 PM, Cowboy said:

-from https://pickinsplinters.com/2020/03/31/atlantic-10-seriously-considering-20-game-mens-basketball-schedule/

Atlantic 10 seriously considering 20-game men’s basketball schedule

By Chuckie Maggio on March 31, 2020No Comment

The Atlantic 10 Conference has been seriously discussing expanding its men’s basketball conference schedule to 20 games for a year and a half now, league commissioner Bernadette McGlade said Tuesday.

The A-10 would join leagues like the Atlantic Coast Conference, which switched to 20 games this past season, and the Big Ten Conference, which made the change before the 2018-19 campaign. The Pac-12 Conference has already implemented a 20-game schedule for next season.

McGlade, who saw the conference expand from 16 conference games to 18 matchups for the 2014-15 season, advocates adding two league games, calling it “practical” and “important” for the A-10 to maintain its competitiveness.

“There are a lot of practical reasons why a 20-game conference schedule is important and could be very important for the A-10,” McGlade explained. “One is, we’re a very big league. We’re 14 teams. We have a lot of teams, so we can absorb a 20-game conference schedule in a really positive way.

“Secondarily, the strength of the league. Especially this year, we finished extremely strong with high national rankings and there is a benefit to be able to schedule more games within your conference, as long as your teams are strong enough. The A-10 is.”

Before, those on-court motives powered the discussion between the league office, coaches and athletic directors. Now, in an unprecedented time for the business of college athletics, there are external, financial factors.

The NCAA announced last Thursday that it will reduce its direct distribution to Division I conferences and schools by about $375 million for 2020 in the wake of the men’s basketball tournament’s cancellation due to the coronavirus pandemic. The NCAA Tournament brought in $933 million of revenue last year, accounting for over three-quarters of its $1.12 billion revenue for the fiscal year ending Aug. 31, 2019.

The A-10 can take some solace in a reserve fund it built to absorb a situation like this, when the league and each of its institutions will feel the consequences of the pandemic’s financial hit.

McGlade foresees adding two games to league play as one possible way to reduce the budgetary impact.

“If everyone gets two more games on their schedule through the conference schedule, then that’s two less non-conference games,” McGlade remarked. “Often, at least one of those games could have been a game that you were paying for, that a school was guaranteeing for a team to come in and play so they could fill in their home season ticket schedule.

“Now all of a sudden, you have a school that would not be paying a guarantee game, which can range anywhere from $80,000 to $100,000. That’s a meaningful chunk of change that an institution can either redirect into another area or, in this case, perhaps an institution might not even have right now for one year.”

Even the loss of spring sport championships is going to cost the NCAA and its member conferences millions of dollars. Conferences will face a “massive” re-balancing of their current budgets, McGlade assessed, and there is a possibility that some schools will cut individual sports as a result. The A-10 hopes its investment fund remedies some of the lost revenue.

Despite the challenges COVID-19 has presented, which McGlade acknowledged were “much bigger than sports,” the 12th-year commissioner remained positive about the post-coronavirus college sports landscape.

I think that there’s gonna be an impressive and a tremendous resiliency that we’re gonna see out of college athletics,” McGlade commented. “I think there’s gonna be a greater appreciation. I love the saying, ‘Never underestimate the will of the human spirit.’ I think right now you’re seeing a tremendous amount of that. I do think that in some respects, college athletics was lagging behind a bit in certain ways of innovation, especially in terms of fan experience, et cetera.

“I do think all of that will be moved another level once we resume some sense of normalcy, whenever that is.”

Sad that the A10 is focused on potential savings of $80,000 to $100,000,   

A10 -- be proactive and instead schedule 2 games with another similar conference.   

Not a bad idea to go to 20. However, we should seriously think about clearing out conferences deadwood. Fordham for sure should go. Maybe LaSalle too. They should add Belmont and Loyola. Open up some MW markets and they’ve traditionally been good teams. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Not a bad idea to go to 20. However, we should seriously think about clearing out conferences deadwood. Fordham for sure should go. Maybe LaSalle too. They should add Belmont and Loyola. Open up some MW markets and they’ve traditionally been good teams. 

See the Rothstein tweet above about the 20 game conference schedule.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:59 AM, DoctorB said:

WHere did you see the SLU news?  Just curious, I can’t find it.

3 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

WHere did you see the SLU news?  Just curious, I can’t find it.

Are you not aware that DoctorB is a faculty member at SLU?  He probably got an internal e-mail.

6 hours ago, slu72 said:

Frankly I think it’s a bad idea. We don’t have trouble putting a schedule together. I’m sure teams like Duquesne or Mason have more trouble. We don’t need to be playing more games outside top 150, and unfortunately the current a10 provides too many of those.

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

Frankly I think it’s a bad idea. We don’t have trouble putting a schedule together. I’m sure teams like Duquesne or Mason have more trouble. We don’t need to be playing more games outside top 150, and unfortunately the current a10 provides too many of those.

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other until I see the full plan but to say we don't have any problems filling out our schedule is not true.  We struggle to get the last 2-3 games - why do you think we end up playing a D2 team almost every year?  Scheduling is tough for all non Power 5 plus 1  schools except maybe the Zags.  Everybody complains when we play 2-3  250 plus teams so how does that help.

43 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other until I see the full plan but to say we don't have any problems filling out our schedule is not true.  We struggle to get the last 2-3 games - why do you think we end up playing a D2 team almost every year?  Scheduling is tough for all non Power 5 plus 1  schools except maybe the Zags.  Everybody complains when we play 2-3  250 plus teams so how does that help.

This. But as someone pointed out above the A10 has some traditionally bad programs. They should be told to step it up or look for a new conference. 

46 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Yep. Which is why playing another conference each year would add variety, make scheduling easier and could increase schedule strength if done right. 
For instance, team up with the American conference which has 12 teams and have use the preseason rankings to schedule. Our #1team plays their #1 team, our #2 plays their #2, etc. for game 1.  A10 hosts games in even years.  The second game we could have our #1 team play their #2 team and their #2 team plays our #1team.  Same with #3 v #3 and then #3 v #4, etc.  Because the A10 has 14 teams, our 2 bottom teams get to play each other or opt out. Who cares - they dont belong in the league anyway. 

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

This. But as someone pointed out above the A10 has some traditionally bad programs. They should be told to step it up or look for a new conference. 

Playing a DII wasn't really an issue until the NET system was introduced, which takes more of a cumulative approach. It made some sense before then as a chance for coaches and players to work out different things and take something of a breather in the pre-season. 

45 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This makes sense, but I think the AAC considers themselves a Power Conference along with the Beast. They are looking down their noses at the A10. However, if they are going to have difficulty finding Q1 opponents, as we do, maybe this can change. There is little doubt in my mind that if we continued playing in March the way we were in the final 5 games, we could have turned some heads in the dance. This year we get our shot. And it begins with the Orlando tourney. I would say we have to get two Q1 wins there. 

4 hours ago, slu72 said:

This makes sense, but I think the AAC considers themselves a Power Conference along with the Beast. They are looking down their noses at the A10. However, if they are going to have difficulty finding Q1 opponents, as we do, maybe this can change. There is little doubt in my mind that if we continued playing in March the way we were in the final 5 games, we could have turned some heads in the dance. This year we get our shot. And it begins with the Orlando tourney. I would say we have to get two Q1 wins there. 

I took a quick look at this past season's final NET. Top 5 in the A10 were Dayton 3, Richmond 38, SLU 49, Rhode Island 57, VCU 68 and Davidson 75.  In the AAC, they went Houston 20, Wichita State 41,  Cincy 51, Memphis 59, and subtract UConn, Tulsa 78.  So the two were pretty comparable.  I think you would get just about 100% from the MBM's that an arrangement with the AAC would be beneficial to both.  

I took Rothstein's message to mean no 20 game conference schedule this season.  I saw nothing that he wrote to say it is a done deal down the road.  We had 8 Quad 4 games last season, 4 OOC and 4 In conference.  Of the 4 OOC, Florida Gulf Coast, High Point and Bethune Cookman were NET killers.  All three had far worse NET's than Fordham who brought up the rear in the A10.  I'd much rather get rid of two buy games and play two more A10 schools.   Playing Fordham (244) twice would be a positive over playing the likes of Florida Gulf Coast (318) or Bethune Cookman (286) once.  I could be wrong, but wasn't High Point (333) was part of the 'event' we were in so we couldn't avoid them.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I took a quick look at this past season's final NET. Top 5 in the A10 were Dayton 3, Richmond 38, SLU 49, Rhode Island 57, VCU 68 and Davidson 75.  In the AAC, they went Houston 20, Wichita State 41,  Cincy 51, Memphis 59, and subtract UConn, Tulsa 78.  So the two were pretty comparable.  I think you would get just about 100% from the MBM's that an arrangement with the AAC would be beneficial to both.  

I took Rothstein's message to mean no 20 game conference schedule this season.  I saw nothing that he wrote to say it is a done deal down the road.  We had 8 Quad 4 games last season, 4 OOC and 4 In conference.  Of the 4 OOC, Florida Gulf Coast, High Point and Bethune Cookman were NET killers.  All three had far worse NET's than Fordham who brought up the rear in the A10.  I'd much rather get rid of two buy games and play two more A10 schools.   Playing Fordham (244) twice would be a positive over playing the likes of Florida Gulf Coast (318) or Bethune Cookman (286) once.  I could be wrong, but wasn't High Point (333) was part of the 'event' we were in so we couldn't avoid them.

Add the 2 games, but more importantly weight the schedule. Top teams play each other twice. A 2nd game with the Richmond, RI, VCU and Davidson this year would have helped our Net (and a bump in the gate), as well as the rest of the top teams in the A10.  Everyone wins.