Billikens.com Message Board

Since the 2019-2020 Season appears to be over, the current scholarships are filled and I think there is immediate desire to talk about next season, I am going to start the 2020-2021 Season thread now. I have listed the players below to aid in discussions about projections about who will play, potential lineups, minute etc. I have listed players by class (assumes Thatch and Jimerson get redshirts), in order of ave. mins, with height weight and position numbers, in the order that I think the players are most likely to play (debatable). Points and rebounds are from ESPN Per game stats. Height and weight from SLU Billikens, beginning of this season.

We have far fewer questions going into this season that we did last season and we have only lost one significant player in Tay Weaver.  Expectations are going to be much higher for this team. I will follow with my thoughts in regard to the coming team and goals for each player over the summer.

Seniors
Jordan Goodwin               6’3”        200         2-3          15.5 Points          10.4 Reb
Hasahn French                  6’7”        245         4-5          12.2 Points          10.1 Reb
Javonte Perkins                6’6”        195         3-4          15 Points             3.6 Reb
Joshua Hightower            6’3”        175         1-2          Walk-on

Juniors

Demarius Jacobs               6’2”        185         1-2          6.6 Points            2.6 Reb
KC Hankton                        6’7”        215         4              1.3 Points            .7 Reb

Sophomores                     

Yuri Collins                          6’0”        175         1              5.4 Points            2.8 Reb
Jimmy Bell                           6’10”      270         5              3.9 Points            3.1 Reb
Terrence Hargrove          6’4”        195         3-4          5.3 Points            2.2 Reb
Fred Thatch                        6’3”        215         2-3          4.8 Points            3.5 Reb
Madani Diarra                    6’10”      240         5              0 Points                1.7 Reb

Freshmen                          

Gibson Jimerson               6’5”        200         2-3          10.8 Points          1.5 Reb
Markhi Strickland             6’5”        190         3              9.5 Points            3.9 Reb 18-19 Varsity BB
Andre Lorentsson            6’8”        205         4              11.3 points          4 Reb    U18 Sweeden

Goal – Top team in the A-10, qualify as at large NCAA tourney team.  We should be ready for a tougher non-conference schedule. We know our strengths and weaknesses going into next season.  We have a strong starting 5 and exceptional first wave of players coming off of the bench. We should see big improvements in Bell and Hargrove over the summer and into non-conference play. Healing – hopefully Yuri’s wrists will improve, Jimerson will return to full speed and the biggest question mark, Thatch will be able to play at full speed again.

My Starting 5 and Summer Mission for each player, positions 1-5.
1. Collins – Improve FT shooting and reduce turnovers.

2. Goodwin – Improve FT shooting and 3-point shooting.
3. Perkins – Add strength, Improve defense and rebounding.
4. French – Improve FT shooting and reduce fouls.
5. Bell – Improve scoring game and lose 10#. Double scoring in coming season.

First wave off the bench.
Jimerson – Get back up to game speed, get stronger, improve defense.
Hargrove – Improve understanding of the game, add 10# muscle, improve 3-point shooting. Double scoring in the coming season.
Jacobs – Add strength, improve ball handling and work on quicker release on 3 point shots.
Thatch – Take care of yourself and find out what you can do without risking your health.

Those who didn’t make significant contributions last season.
Hankton – Add strength and play.
Diarra – Add strength and play. Have a Jacobs summer.
Strickland – Join the team ASAP, add strength and learn the O and D.
Lorentsson – Join the team ASAP, add strength and learn the O and D. We have minutes available for a stretch 4, who can hold his own on D.

Also note the Final Four will be in INDY, I advise to start looking for housing in late fall. 

1 minute ago, Aquinas said:

Since the 2019-2020 Season appears to be over, the current scholarships are filled and I think there is immediate desire to talk about next season, I am going to start the 2020-2021 Season thread now. I have listed the players below to aid in discussions about projections about who will play, potential lineups, minute etc. I have listed players by class (assumes Thatch and Jimerson get redshirts), in order of ave. mins, with height weight and position numbers, in the order that I think the players are most likely to play (debatable). Points and rebounds are from ESPN Per game stats. Height and weight from SLU Billikens, beginning of this season.

We have far fewer questions going into this season that we did last season and we have only lost one significant player in Tay Weaver.  Expectations are going to be much higher for this team. I will follow with my thoughts in regard to the coming team and goals for each player over the summer.

Seniors
Jordan Goodwin               6’3”        200         2-3          15.5 Points          10.4 Reb
Hasahn French                  6’7”        245         4-5          12.2 Points          10.1 Reb
Javonte Perkins                6’6”        195         3-4          15 Points             3.6 Reb
Joshua Hightower            6’3”        175         1-2          Walk-on

Juniors

Demarius Jacobs               6’2”        185         1-2          6.6 Points            2.6 Reb
KC Hankton                        6’7”        215         4              1.3 Points            .7 Reb

Sophomores                     

Yuri Collins                          6’0”        175         1              5.4 Points            2.8 Reb
Jimmy Bell                           6’10”      270         5              3.9 Points            3.1 Reb
Terrence Hargrove          6’4”        195         3-4          5.3 Points            2.2 Reb
Fred Thatch                        6’3”        215         2-3          4.8 Points            3.5 Reb
Madani Diarra                    6’10”      240         5              0 Points                1.7 Reb

Freshmen                          

Gibson Jimerson               6’5”        200         2-3          10.8 Points          1.5 Reb
Markhi Strickland             6’5”        190         3              9.5 Points            3.9 Reb 18-19 Varsity BB
Andre Lorentsson            6’8”        205         4              11.3 points          4 Reb    U18 Sweeden

Goal – Top team in the A-10, qualify as at large NCAA tourney team.  We should be ready for a tougher non-conference schedule. We know our strengths and weaknesses going into next season.  We have a strong starting 5 and exceptional first wave of players coming off of the bench. We should see big improvements in Bell and Hargrove over the summer and into non-conference play. Healing – hopefully Yuri’s wrists will improve, Jimerson will return to full speed and the biggest question mark, Thatch will be able to play at full speed again.

My Starting 5 and Summer Mission for each player, positions 1-5.
1. Collins – Improve FT shooting and reduce turnovers.

2. Goodwin – Improve FT shooting and 3-point shooting.
3. Perkins – Add strength, Improve defense and rebounding.
4. French – Improve FT shooting and reduce fouls.
5. Bell – Improve scoring game and lose 10#. Double scoring in coming season.

First wave off the bench.
Jimerson – Get back up to game speed, get stronger, improve defense.
Hargrove – Improve understanding of the game, add 10# muscle, improve 3-point shooting. Double scoring in the coming season.
Jacobs – Add strength, improve ball handling and work on quicker release on 3 point shots.
Thatch – Take care of yourself and find out what you can do without risking your health.

Those who didn’t make significant contributions last season.
Hankton – Add strength and play.
Diarra – Add strength and play. Have a Jacobs summer.
Strickland – Join the team ASAP, add strength and learn the O and D.
Lorentsson – Join the team ASAP, add strength and learn the O and D. We have minutes available for a stretch 4, who can hold his own on D.

How long did you have this post queued up?

My guess for starting 5 and first few off:

Yuri

Goodwin

Perkins

French

Bell

---------

Fred

Jimmerson

Hargove

Jacobs

1 minute ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

How long did you have this post queued up?

I was going to say the same thing 

Out of reactions, but excellent post @Aquinas.  This is a board to discuss Billiken basketball.  Let's get back on track.

We will have a lot of pressure going into next season entering as back-to-back A10 tournament champions. I think we're well equipped to handle that pressure.

Is next year's team the most talent we've had returning to a squad this century? I suppose 2012-2013 would make a very good case as well.

1 minute ago, NH said:

Is next year's team the most talent we've had returning to a squad this century? I suppose 2012-2013 would make a very good case as well.

From 1-10, yes, i think so. Would love to see a game between those teams. 

all I can think of right now is thank goodness this wasn’t next years tournament... I can’t imagine having a season like Dayton or San Diego State and not getting to see that team play in the tournament 

The one thing to keep in mind about next season, we're setup for some big wins with the SDSU game and the Orlando tourney.  I'd love a SLU-MSU rematch so we can exact revenge and so I can have bragging rights in the house (although, that might land me on the couch for a while).

42 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

The one thing to keep in mind about next season, we're setup for some big wins with the SDSU game and the Orlando tourney.  I'd love a SLU-MSU rematch so we can exact revenge and so I can have bragging rights in the house (although, that might land me on the couch for a while).

Lesson learned from this year, absolutely need to WIN one of those big games

I think M. Diarra staying with a family or with some of his teammates is a great idea. I hope he has a nice summer and learns a lot about the US and, hopefully, about basketball.

Next season is shaping up to be a big one for the Bills. As it stands today our schedule is shaping up to be one in which we can get some big time W's. San Diego St is a great OOC game and it's at their house. But the biggie is the Orlando tourney. Take that trophy home and we'll probably crack the top 25. So, for everyone who had money set aside for Brooklyn, well, spend it in Orlando. Let's have an SVU kind of turnout to show this team we are behind them all the way. Google the tourney and get on the email list for the travel agency that's setting it up. Also, if anyone knows what the AD may be offering for a package would be good to know. 

Sad, it ended like this, because I really think we would have done well in Brooklyn. However, they had to do what they did. The more information we get about this epidemic we learn it is highly contagious and could infect a lot of people. Being in the high risk category, ie older and with high BP, I've kind of self quarantined and only going out for essentials. Call me paranoid, but I am looking forward to the Orlando trip and want to make sure I'm there. 

2 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

From 1-10, yes, i think so. Would love to see a game between those teams. 

I'd agree with this. In 11-12 we had some depth. Then it slowly got depleted, so by 13-14 we were basically down to 5 guys, and they ran out of gas towards the season's end. But next season's team is pretty much stacked with 10 contributors. 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Next season is shaping up to be a big one for the Bills. As it stands today our schedule is shaping up to be one in which we can get some big time W's. San Diego St is a great OOC game and it's at their house. But the biggie is the Orlando tourney. Take that trophy home and we'll probably crack the top 25. So, for everyone who had money set aside for Brooklyn, well, spend it in Orlando. Let's have an SVU kind of turnout to show this team we are behind them all the way. Google the tourney and get on the email list for the travel agency that's setting it up. Also, if anyone knows what the AD may be offering for a package would be good to know. 

Sad, it ended like this, because I really think we would have done well in Brooklyn. However, they had to do what they did. The more information we get about this epidemic we learn it is highly contagious and could infect a lot of people. Being in the high risk category, ie older and with high BP, I've kind of self quarantined and only going out for essentials. Call me paranoid, but I am looking forward to the Orlando trip and want to make sure I'm there. 

If we take that trophy home (and assuming we're undefeated at the time), we'll be top 15. 

20 minutes ago, slu72 said:

By their do you mean at SLU?

15 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

If we take that trophy home (and assuming we're undefeated at the time), we'll be top 15. 

if we're undefeated after sdsu we'll be top 10 easily. That would mean we would have won the Orlando tournament over the likes of State and zaga.  Thats at least 2 top 10 wins and about 8 games played. 

7 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

This site http://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php just released 2020-21 projections.  They have SLU at #32.  I think we'll be higher than that, but pretty exciting to be projected as an NCAA team.

Us and Richmond will both be really good next season. And I love how we match up with them.

Just now, RUBillsFan said:

This site http://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php just released 2020-21 projections.  They have SLU at #32.  I think we'll be higher than that, but pretty exciting to be projected as an NCAA team.

Full A-10 Projections:

30. Richmond

32. SLU

56. Davidson

75. Bona

81. VCU

83. Duq

90. UMass

91. Dayton

96. Rhody

115. Mason

140. St Joes

141. Fordham

144. LaSalle

234. GW

Initial thoughts outside of SLU being too low.  Fordham & St. Joes are wayyyy too high.  DUQ is too low.  Dayton, Rhody, & maybe UMass are slighly too low.

7 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Full A-10 Projections:

30. Richmond

32. SLU

56. Davidson

75. Bona

81. VCU

83. Duq

90. UMass

91. Dayton

96. Rhody

115. Mason

140. St Joes

141. Fordham

144. LaSalle

234. GW

Initial thoughts outside of SLU being too low.  Fordham & St. Joes are wayyyy too high.  DUQ is too low.  Dayton, Rhody, & maybe UMass are slighly too low.

Rhody loses Langevine, and I on't think Haris is good enough to replace him and them not get worse. Plus they lose Dowtin too.