NCAA Selection, will we make the cut?

FatherB

Just now, FatherB said:

A10 tournament cancelled.

Many other conference tournaments cancelled. This means more at large bids than ever. Will we make the cut?

the whole thing is gonna cancel. 

3 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Bad optics when millionaire NBA players are sent home but 18-22 year old “amateur” athletes are told to play. 

Just imagine the outcry if they play and a team gets sick.

The NCAA really has no choice but to cancel.

Yep. The NBA realizes that the players are their biggest asset and at the NBA level they aren't replaceable in terms of talent, so they are choosing to protect their biggest asset. If the league is protecting the pros, the NCAA will look really bad if they don't protect amateurs. I'm still really bummed that there's not more basketball to watch and I feel really, really bad for the kids who worked so hard for this. Especially seniors. And especially seniors who aren't going to play pro sports later, for whom this may be their last chance to compete. It's a really long shot but I hope they are able to play some postseason games in a few months or something.

3 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

Yep. The NBA realizes that the players are their biggest asset and at the NBA level they aren't replaceable in terms of talent, so they are choosing to protect their biggest asset. If the league is protecting the pros, the NCAA will look really bad if they don't protect amateurs. I'm still really bummed that there's not more basketball to watch and I feel really, really bad for the kids who worked so hard for this. Especially seniors. And especially seniors who aren't going to play pro sports later, for whom this may be their last chance to compete. It's a really long shot but I hope they are able to play some postseason games in a few months or something.

That would be a novel solution: to have some kind of tournament during the summer.  It would be really weird, though.

-I agree, let's have something in the summer, allow those now seniors both in college and high school to be on the rosters, this will extend practice to the detriment of spring finals, certainly there are venues available, what does cbssports broadcast in the summer? this could be nice filler

-would really mess with grad transfers, and all transfers, so that's a great reason, let's do it!

I will say, even though I believe the tourney will be delayed and ultimately cancelled, I still believe they will proceed with selection Sunday. They’ll select the teams and then hope for a medical miracle.  Additionally, let’s not forget that many coaches get bonuses for making the tourney and selection Sunday is must see TV.  

16 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I will say, even though I believe the tourney will be delayed and ultimately cancelled, I still believe they will proceed with selection Sunday. They’ll select the teams and then hope for a medical miracle.  Additionally, let’s not forget that many coaches get bonuses for making the tourney and selection Sunday is must see TV.  

The NCAA is going to wait for a miracle? Did they change their name to  National Catholic Athletic Association. If it happens are they going to celebrate with water they hope will turn into wine? Wow, the world is changing.

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

The NCAA is going to wait for a miracle? Did they change their name to  National Catholic Athletic Association. If it happens are they going to celebrate with water they hope will turn into wine? Wow, the world is changing.

I know that's sarcasm (the blue font tipped me off), but I have no doubt the networks will at least monetize what they can and the Selection Sunday shows are their last chance. 

29 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

This.

42 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Was wondering about this. I think you are right and I hope they do it. I’d like to see the NIT bracket also just to see what could happen if by some miracle they eventually play it. 

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

I know that's sarcasm (the blue font tipped me off), but I have no doubt the networks will at least monetize what they can and the Selection Sunday shows are their last chance. 

I also  have no doubt at all. As a matter of fact the networks are going to take a huge hit this year from the cancellation of all of these tournaments and seasons. Can you imagine the amount of money they spend in buying the rights to these events, getting a capable staff, and producing really nice (visually and informationally) shows. And I mean everything, the sets they prepare to have their commentators discuss the latest events, the collection of video clips they show. Every minute step is carefully done to attract maximum viewership. And now, what are they going to get for their money reruns of "I  Love Lucy"?  This thing is going to crater the sports networks, believe me. Yes they will try and carry the selection shows but they will never get enough return from those to cover the losses they are going to incur with the cancellations.

20 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they put together a BCS-Championship style 4-team tournament to be played in Atlanta during the Final Four weekend regardless of what happens to the preliminary rounds.

-schools are announcing they are cancelling ALL sporting activities

11 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-schools are announcing they are cancelling ALL sporting activities

I saw one — I'm not polling a bunch! — that said through March 30.  The Final Four is in April.  That's the reason I said it wouldn't surprise me if the NCAA attempted to do something like that.  It's still a big deal for Atlanta, for NCAA records and history, and for the schools with a legitimate chance at a championship.

The NCAA Championship hasn't always been a six- or seven-round affair with 64-68 teams.  Has anything since World War II caused cancellation of an NCAA championship?  Maybe they'll figure out a way to salvage something.

I don't care all that much if they do or if they don't; I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if they were to attempt to salvage some kind of championship.

The next question is: what is the NCAA going to do with the money they would have to pay to the participating schools per game played, and the championship? Are they going to distribute it to the schools somehow, or are they going to keep it for themselves??? I think they probably prefer the second choice, but I do not know what they will do.

7 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The next question is: what is the NCAA going to do with the money they would have to pay to the participating schools per game played, and the championship? Are they going to distribute it to the schools somehow, or are they going to keep it for themselves??? I think they probably prefer the second choice, but I do not know what they will do.

-what does the tv contract say about not playing the event? does the NCAA still get paid? who does the NCAA have to pay?  it is possible they get paid if the NCAA heavily relied on outside help to negotiate as I don't think the folks in those towers could get it that good