SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

-a thought from the chair of the ER at Mercy......Should we be trimming out unnecessary contact with other people? I think people should lead their daily lives. Obviously, if you’re in bigger groups there’s a higher risk for contracting an infection—all infections—you just need to weigh those risks. If you’re in a risk category where you’re immunocompromised or you have other medical conditions, consider that before going out into a large group.

BilliKat likes this

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

The graphic is great.  The information is great.  Why not use your substantial air time to attack the pandemic spreading information on preventive measures.  No problem with that.  What the news media focuses on every night is how many people in the States have it, in my state, in my county.  That's fanning the hysteria flames.  

Taj, Walter Conkrite did this every night with the Vietnam War. It was not alarmist back then, nor is it now. People are going to die, or get sick, and the economy will partly tank.

If everyone is selfishly going to live as normal, we will have bigger numbers. If we take vigorous preventive measures, we can mitigate much of the mortality and rapidity of the pandemic.

Just now, Bay Area Billiken said:

SF Public Schools, like in NYC, remain open as a bureaucrat said they provide social services. 

They don't want the backlash from parents that will then have to stay home from work.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

They don't want the backlash from parents that will then have to stay home from work.

Public schools provide meals, and as NYC Mayor DeBlasio said, the children need a place to go. 

SF Archdiocese closed its schools earlier in week. SF bureaucrat said Archdiocese did not consult with his office.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

The problem will be getting supply chains back up and running.  I know some companies have worked at dramatically cutting their supply chains over the last few years and I hope this encourages more to follow suit. Disruption of long supply chains really can have long lasting negative impact on the economy, not to mention the risk they can put this country at when it comes to getting needed medical supplies and other items.  

The people this will really hit hard are wage earners and smaller businesses. Amazon will love watching them shutter their doors (for many, maybe permanently). 

This is only going to exacerbate many of the current problems that have been going on for some time, with main street stores and businesses getting devoured by Amazon. 

Sheltie:  fine.  I get that.  The 60's were a different time, no?  I recall Walter being "the most trusted man in America."  I can't help but wonder how he'd stack up against today's 10-second-sound-bite crowd, instant info, and immeasurable social media types proclaiming "the news."  Walter, Dan Rather, Ted Koppel all seemed to take their roles with some seriousness and social conscious.  Everything today seems to center on shock quotient and sensationalism.  Just a lot of air time to fill.

And that is my point ---- fill it with information that can be used.  Dead people are dead people.  That's sounds harsh but it fact.  Use the time to focus on preventive measures and maybe tell the country how to not only prepare, but recover.   The media ---- no matter what side you take --- is the most powerful information-sharing tool out there.  Beat the preventive horse until it's dead.  That's all.

6 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Ivy League has cancelled all athletic events for the rest of the year. Does that open up another at-large spot?

Per the Ivy league release: "Individual institutions will decide whether or not winter teams and student-athletes who have qualified for postseason play will participate"

So yale would have to decide they aren't going to play in NCAA tourney

In addition to no fans being allowed in Dayton for the First Four, no fans will be allowed in Cleveland for the first and second round.  No fans allowed at Cavs home games either.

The Seattle Mariners will play no home games at least for the start of the season.

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

In addition to no fans being allowed in Dayton for the First Four, no fans will be allowed in Cleveland for the first and second round.  No fans allowed at Cavs home games either.

The Seattle Mariners will play no home games at least for the start of the season.

Shouldn't affect their home attendance numbers.

rgbilliken, brianstl and SLU_Lax like this

I've read so many snippets on the coronavirus the past few days, I can't remember if it was from an article referenced here or not....but if you're a healthy young specimen, now is the time to travel. Obviously you would want to avoid places such as China, Italy, etc. but I'd have to imagine there are some pretty amazing deals out there right now. 

3 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I've read so many snippets on the coronavirus the past few days, I can't remember if it was from an article referenced here or not....but if you're a healthy young specimen, now is the time to travel. Obviously you would want to avoid places such as China, Italy, etc. but I'd have to imagine there are some pretty amazing deals out there right now. 

If you can risk getting stranded somewhere for a month or more if a travel ban is issued and then deal with being in quarantine when you get back.

rgbilliken, SLU_Lax and RUBillsFan like this

8 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Actually, flights and hotels are still ridiculous (relatively speaking). 

11 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Not true. Airlines are canceling flights to adjust to lowered demand.