SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

I haven’t posted a damn thing political in this whole thread.  Saying you were wrong about Coronavirus is not a political statement statement.  Hell, me and you probably vote for 90% of the same candidates, but that doesn’t stop me from realizing you are being a dumb a$$ on this topic.

The only thing I’ve said on this topic is to stop making personal attacks on board members       ( which you can’t refrain from) and to stop attacking our President.  The rest is all your biased imagination! 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

The only thing I’ve said on this topic is to stop making personal attacks on board members       ( which you can’t refrain from) and to stop attacking our President.  The rest is all your biased imagination! 

I never attacked the President. I never attacked you in this thread before my last post.  Disagreeing on a topic is not a personal attack.  

My comment about politics was addressed to the whole board. People on every point of the political spectrum are making a$$es out themselves in this thread.

BilliesBy40 likes this

4 hours ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Shut this fμcking thread down!

Reason why I am not shutting it down is so this stuff doesn't pollute other threads. People can choose to ignore this thread without having to ignore other discussions. 

20 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Interesting note from the PD this morning (Sunday).  Boys and Girls games are still scheduled for next weekend.

As of Saturday night, the Missouri State High School Activities Association gave no indication that the remainder of the state basketball tournament would be halted or canceled. But should the games go on, Missouri would be the only state in America to play basketball. It was just one of five states that played tournaments this weekend. The other four wrapped up with spectator limits on Friday or Saturday.

We've been very fortunate so far.  Missouri has the lowest number of coronavirus cases per capita in the United States.  

XQizS4TiNCDFD9BtFECzWk-970-80.jpg

brianstl likes this

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

We've been very fortunate so far.  Missouri has the lowest number of coronavirus cases per capita in the United States.  

XQizS4TiNCDFD9BtFECzWk-970-80.jpg

Would like to see MO become a little more proactive.  IL has now shut down all dine in restaurants.  

All nursing homes, support living facilities, and medical support retirement homes nationwide have been locked down and quarantined. Residents will be required to maintain social distancing during meals and the course of daily activities, as practicable.

The CDC and NIH are starting to exert their needed power and expertise in time of  medical crisis.

The fact that is extraordinary, to me at least, is how rapidly things are progressing. The 3000 cases will grow rapidly as the number of people tested increases, the number of deaths is not going up that fast. The list of restrictive measures adopted is also growing exponentially. Schools are closing for a period of time, businesses are eliminating meeting with clients. States are mandating closures of all kinds of businesses including restaurants, bars, and entertainment. The airlines are diving straight down in terms of passengers carried. There are calls to lock down the whole country.

It all seems like a massive over reaction to me, but I have no control over this.  A few days left to freely stock on alcohol, and TP. 12  rolls of TP were going for $23 to  $26 in eBay as of last night. A baby boom is surely coming our way.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

The fact that is extraordinary, to me at least, is how rapidly things are progressing. The 3000 cases will grow rapidly as the number of people tested increases, the number of deaths is not going up that fast. The list of restrictive measures adopted is also growing exponentially. Schools are closing for a period of time, businesses are eliminating meeting with clients. States are mandating closures of all kinds of businesses including restaurants, bars, and entertainment. The airlines are diving straight down in terms of passengers carried. There are calls to lock down the whole country.

It all seems like a massive over reaction to me, but I have no control over this.  A few days left to freely stock on alcohol, and TP. 12  rolls of TP were going for $23 to  $26 in eBay as of last night. A baby boom is surely coming our way.

If an overreaction, then hopefully one that gets us past all this that much more quickly. Will be better for the economy to just get past this rather than drag it on for months.

25 minutes ago, ARon said:

If an overreaction, then hopefully one that gets us past all this that much more quickly. Will be better for the economy to just get past this rather than drag it on for months.

Well that’s the hard part.  When do the restrictions get lifted?  And lifted all at once or over time? in stages?  
The virus will be around for at least a year.   A checker at the grocery store will test positive.  A student at college will test positive.  A government worker will test positive....There will always be a case here and a case there - though hopefully not the epidemic. Though an infected person can go days without symptoms- and infect alot of people in the meantime. 
But when?  Not until a vaccine is commercially available?  
Soon, the testing will be available generally and thereafter, certainly available for professional athletes as leagues will pay the costs/medical bills.   Testing of the athlete each day? Every other day?  Not practical for us MBMs but for them prior to a vaccine? and play without fans a middle step? 

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Well that’s the hard part.  When do the restrictions get lifted?  And lifted all at once or over time? in stages?  
The virus will be around for at least a year.   A checker at the grocery store will test positive.  A student at college will test positive.  A government worker will test positive....There will always be a case here and a case there - though hopefully not the epidemic. Though an infected person can go days without symptoms- and infect alot of people in the meantime. 
But when?  Not until a vaccine is commercially available?  
Soon, the testing will be available generally and thereafter, certainly available for professional athletes as leagues will pay the costs/medical bills.   Testing of the athlete each day? Every other day?  Not practical for us MBMs but for them prior to a vaccine? and play without fans a middle step? 

Seems to make sense to ease back in to normalcy.  China is now seeing more new cases from travelers coming in to the country than from community transmission.  I imagine some form of travel restrictions are here to stay for a much longer haul.

The real truth to all of these questions and concerns, including mine, is that there are NO set answers to issues like this. A decision, any decision, will have good and bad sides to it. For example closing dine in restaurants eliminates one mode of congregation, but will result in a lot of people out of work, and so on and so forth. You could try to say something on the lines of "does the death rate or the incidence rate" justify the measures? The problem is that the death rate is very low now, but we can expect it to go up. The same applies as the incidence rate, the more testing we do the more cases we will find. So, how do you find a reasonable line? This can be a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't. I do not envy the people making the decisions.

However, I will stick to my estimate of less than 26,000 deaths from this bug in the US this year, by the time the epidemic is controlled.

I have not read through this entire thread, but if this has not been reported:  there are at least 2 students, along with 2 others (staff? faculty??) at SLU now suspected of being infected by the virus.  Pestello continues to say however that so far no confirmed cases.  Also: students began moving out over the weekend and this will continue through at least Friday, so it is busy around Midtown...

On 3/13/2020 at 4:53 PM, billikenfan05 said:

95%(I’m making that up but it’s close) of senior basketball players completed their season. To give them another year makes no sense. I’m glad they are giving spring athletes an extra year. 

They may have to offer seniors another season of eligibility are they might not have enough players.  That is unless they make major changes to the eligibility rules for incoming freshmen.

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

eligibility rules for incoming freshmen.

Hmmm? did I miss something?  Please expalin further.

I remember the days when Lew Alcindor was not able to play as a freshman (and then -- not allowed to dunk--but that's another story...).  What's up??

3 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Hmmm? did I miss something?  Please expalin further.

I remember the days when Lew Alcindor was not able to play as a freshman (and then -- not allowed to dunk--but that's another story...).  What's up??

Must have missed all the schools shutting down and college board testing being suspended.  Depending on how long this all goes on, many incoming recruits could have major eligibility issues.

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Must have missed all the schools shutting down and college board testing being suspended.  Depending on how long this all goes on, many incoming recruits could have major eligibility issues.

They'll make the necessary waivers for that. Assuming the high schools all graduate their senior classes, can you imagine the backlash the NCAA would get if it says all these graduates can't play college basketball because standardized testing wasn't available.

Heck, this might be the time to take a chance on a kid that otherwise wouldn't have qualified because he'll probably get a  dispensation just like all the others.