SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

There has also been a rapid decline in deaths from heart attacks. Curious thing to happen, maybe they are being labelled as COVID deaths, who knows how records are kept in some States.

Nope. People didn't all of a sudeen stop having heart attacks and strokes. People are still having strokes and heart attacks. Many have been dying at home. 

And, we're at about 70k COVID-19 deaths (vastly underreported) here at the beginning of May. 

37,100 excess U.S. deaths early in the pandemic.

https://twitter.com/owillis/status/1256680345480630274

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing stops people from flocking to the beaches faster than  saying we had 20 Covid deaths rather than ten deaths.

I take that back. Nothing stops beach goers from hitting the beach faster than saying 20 great white sharks are waiting to eat you, and then Covid will get another 20.

Virus Madness Tourney

The Elite 8....Listed by seed #...from a field of 80 vaccines...first 7 have all started human trials or  are about to start human trials.

To find out more about the teams and players...check out the article below....it lists 76 teams (4 have been added in recent days.)...click on the "76"  in the article if you want to see them all

1....Oxford U/Astra Zeneca...they have an early lead

2....Moderna/ Lonza.....close behind

3...BioNTech/ Pfizer.....

4...Catalent/JNJ

5...Inovio Pharma...US

6...CanSino Biologics...China

7...Sinovac Bio...China

8...Beijing Inst....China

Hon Mention....Gilead Science....Remdesivir...not a vax but the only approved treatment at this time.

One thing is clear in looking at the list of 76-80 teams working on the virus...It is a world wide effort in money, time and brains.  You will note that 3 of the top 8 teams are from China....as well as many other seeds in the top 80. I hope we can put aside any squabbles we have with China because if they turnout to be one of the winners it could be awkward. There is no we and they....there is only us ( all humankind)  That is the way the virus looks   at us ....only as "us"  If we are going to beat the virus , it has to be a cooperative effort, whether you are talking about  city, state, national or worldwide....we will only win if we work together......a good message for a basketball team ...a good message for all people everywhere.

https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/coronavirus-vaccine-candidates-to-watch

11 hours ago, courtside said:

Multiple studies show that people who have died from COVID-19 would have lived an average of at least another decade.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-kills-people-an-average-of-a-decade-before-their-time-11588424401?redirect=amp#click=https://t.co/GuFJxuENNN

That's an extra ten years of watching Billikens basketball, people.  I don't want to give that up.

RUBillsFan likes this

The statistical death data of both COVID and Influenza has been presented together as the total number of Covid deaths. By itself, and limiting the deaths to those with proven Covid and dying from respiratory failure, the number of deaths is much lower. If you die squashed in a car accident and are found to be (+) for Covid, should this be counted as a Covid death? This appears to  be the case in a number of States.

10 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The statistical death data of both COVID and Influenza has been presented together as the total number of Covid deaths.

This is not true. The CDC is very explicitly keeping the two separated. 

I posted this link earlier, but here it is again. 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

RUBillsFan and courtside like this

8 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The statistical death data of both COVID and Influenza has been presented together as the total number of Covid deaths. By itself, and limiting the deaths to those with proven Covid and dying from respiratory failure, the number of deaths is much lower. If you die squashed in a car accident and are found to be (+) for Covid, should this be counted as a Covid death? This appears to  be the case in a number of States.

Nope.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuacohen/2020/04/14/underreporting-of-covid-19-deaths-in-the-us-and-europe/

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/social-media-posts-make-baseless-claim-on-covid-19-death-toll/

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

Spoon-Balls and BilliesBy40 like this

You must be too young to remember the killer bees.  Yes I mean both the SNL Belushi sketch and "Africanized" honey bees........

I started to type out all sorts of responses featuring historical "we're all going to die" senarios but that would make me a hypocrite for joining this poisoned political thread of abomination......

On 5/2/2020 at 5:07 PM, courtside said:

Nope. People didn't all of a sudeen stop having heart attacks and strokes. People are still having strokes and heart attacks. Many have been dying at home. 

And, we're at about 70k COVID-19 deaths (vastly underreported) here at the beginning of May. 

37,100 excess U.S. deaths early in the pandemic.

https://twitter.com/owillis/status/1256680345480630274

The death rate was expected to be increased this year regardless of Covid19. The article doesn’t mention that though, or account for it, right? 37,000 is actually a pretty small number overall. 

There is another article which notes that 10 years are being lost per death, on average. Which really means that around 1/4 of deaths are from someone with a long time to live. Right now that would be 15,000 people. 

I am really getting worn out by how hyperbolic the news cycle has been on Covid19. There is evidence building that the virus is just not as big of a deal as we all thought, but every news outlet is holding onto the salacious headlines with an iron grip. 

billiken_roy, MB73 and drkelsey55 like this

On 5/2/2020 at 8:04 PM, The Wiz said:

Virus Madness Tourney

The Elite 8....Listed by seed #...from a field of 80 vaccines...first 7 have all started human trials or  are about to start human trials.

To find out more about the teams and players...check out the article below....it lists 76 teams (4 have been added in recent days.)...click on the "76"  in the article if you want to see them all

1....Oxford U/Astra Zeneca...they have an early lead

2....Moderna/ Lonza.....close behind

3...BioNTech/ Pfizer.....

4...Catalent/JNJ

5...Inovio Pharma...US

6...CanSino Biologics...China

7...Sinovac Bio...China

8...Beijing Inst....China

You will note that 3 of the top 8 teams are from China....as well as many other seeds in the top 80. I hope we can put aside any squabbles we have with China because if they turnout to be one of the winners it could be awkward. 

Given that there are politicians in this country building their entire campaigns around a “Blame China” narrative, (Sounds so much more ominous than Blame Canada) I think you know the answer to that already.

While a vaccine developed sooner than later by a Chinese lab would be better than no vaccine at all, it will be much messier than one developed outside there and/or post-election day.

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

The death rate was expected to be increased this year regardless of Covid19. The article doesn’t mention that though, or account for it, right? 37,000 is actually a pretty small number overall. 

There is another article which notes that 10 years are being lost per death, on average. Which really means that around 1/4 of deaths are from someone with a long time to live. Right now that would be 15,000 people. 

I am really getting worn out by how hyperbolic the news cycle has been on Covid19. There is evidence building that the virus is just not as big of a deal as we all thought, but every news outlet is holding onto the salacious headlines with an iron grip. 

Huh?  Is this a serious post?

Much of the country has been shut down for six weeks and we still have 70,000 deaths (vastly underreported) at the beginning of May. Endless medical personnel saying this is the worst thing they have seen in their lifetimes. Many patients will have long term medical problems because of it. But you are saying it isn't a big deal and the headlines are salacious. Ten years isn't a long time to live? Wow. Ten minutes matters, let alone ten years or the London study that says the average is 14 years. 25% also isn't 15k. 

The other article says that the high number of unaccounted deaths are COVID-19 related deaths not any deaths or other deaths. It indicates that thousands of people died without testing and that those deaths were not included. These were due to unable to get testing, fears of going to hospitals, overcrowding, etc...The 37,000 number, a very large number of deaths accounts for only the early stages of the pandemic, not all since. Reporting is slow and lagged, weeks behind. 

Such a dangerously cavalier attitude about a lot of unnecessary pain, suffering, and death.

BilliesBy40, cheeseman and moytoy12 like this

7 hours ago, courtside said:

Huh?  Is this a serious post?

Much of the country has been shut down for six weeks and we still have 70,000 deaths (vastly underreported) at the beginning of May. Endless medical personnel saying this is the worst thing they have seen in their lifetimes. Many patients will have long term medical problems because of it. But you are saying it isn't a big deal and the headlines are salacious. Ten years isn't a long time to live? Wow. Ten minutes matters, let alone ten years or the London study that says the average is 14 years. 25% also isn't 15k. 

The other article says that the high number of unaccounted deaths are COVID-19 related deaths not any deaths or other deaths. It indicates that thousands of people died without testing and that those deaths were not included. These were due to unable to get testing, fears of going to hospitals, overcrowding, etc...The 37,000 number, a very large number of deaths accounts for only the early stages of the pandemic, not all since. Reporting is slow and lagged, weeks behind. 

Such a dangerously cavalier attitude about a lot of unnecessary pain, suffering, and death.

I don’t think you understood my post completely. I didn’t explain the numbers, and I am too lazy to do it now, but I do not think they are necessarily wrong.

The main thing to take away is that there is a balanced way of reporting and a click bait way of reporting. We live in a world of click bait. What do you think sells more: 1) everyone is dying! Or 2) it looks like things are leveling off and maybe we oversold the risks!

I don’t care if it is cavalier. It is an anonymous basketball forum. Not the floor of the senate.

SLU_Nick, AGB91 and drkelsey55 like this

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I don’t think you understood my post completely. I didn’t explain the numbers, and I am too lazy to do it now, but I do not think they are necessarily wrong.

The main thing to take away is that there is a balanced way of reporting and a click bait way of reporting. We live in a world of click bait. What do you think sells more: 1) everyone is dying! Or 2) it looks like things are leveling off and maybe we oversold the risks!

I don’t care if it is cavalier. It is an anonymous basketball forum. Not the floor of the senate.

70,000 (vastly underreported deaths) and counting beginning of May in a short amount of time. These are under brutal circumstances. Many others are getting lifelong health challenges because of it. This includes during a six week shutdown and counting with extreme measures. 

As the CDC shows in their numbers, people are still dying of both COVID-19 and other causes. 

And you believe this is salcious click bait? Not so bad? Overblown? Those people would have died 10-15 years anyway? (Even the worst of the worst cases would have lived at least three more years on average according to the data) 

Incomprehensible. 

IMG_20200504_074455.jpg

BilliesBy40 likes this

36 minutes ago, courtside said:

70,000 (vastly underreported deaths) and counting beginning of May in a short amount of time. These are under brutal circumstances. Many others are getting lifelong health challenges because of it. This includes during a six week shutdown and counting with extreme measures. 

As the CDC shows in their numbers, people are still dying of both COVID-19 and other causes. 

And you believe this is salcious click bait? Not so bad? Overblown? Those people would have died 10-15 years anyway? (Even the worst of the worst cases would have lived at least three more years on average according to the data) 

Incomprehensible. 

IMG_20200504_074455.jpg

It's interesting how a word like "vastly" can be easily found in the dictionary (of very great area or extent; immense: , of very great size or proportions; huge; enormous: very great in degree, intensity, etc.) yet people can use it so differently.

To me when I hear the word vastly, I assume something that is multiple times as large. Just huge amounts bigger. I don't really think about 25% bigger as vastly. Yet, the New York Times article you posted above suggested that in New York City the "vast" under-reporting of Covid-deaths is about 25% (4,200 / 16,673 = 25%).

image.png.52adbcee63684af807e533775e928dc7.png

I'm glad the New York Times article at least acknowledges the potential that all of the shut-down activities and people's inability to get typical healthcare from the hospitals could be a part of the 25% of "vast" under-reporting.

Zink and brianstl like this

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I'm glad the New York Times article at least acknowledges the potential that all of the shut-down activities and people's inability to get typical healthcare from the hospitals could be a part of the 25% of "vast" under-reporting.

Part of the second wave is going to be people who died because the early detection of other issues couldn't happen based on the stay at home orders. 

brianstl likes this