SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, almaman said:

If we don't have a second wave and somehow we find cure or vaccine I think economy would return to about the same as it was at the worst during last recession rather quickly. fingers crossed.

We won't, we will.

58 minutes ago, almaman said:

If we don't have a second wave and somehow we find cure or vaccine I think economy would return to about the same as it was at the worst during last recession rather quickly. fingers crossed.

We are a consumer based economy. It all depends on psychology. Will people feel comfortable enough to go out and spend. Will they go to baseball games? I don’t know but I think a lot would depend on a vaccine and it’s effectiveness. 

TheChosenOne likes this

23 hours ago, laurk said:

That's the drug they are studying at SLU med/hospital.  https://www.slu.edu/news/2020/march/covid19-treatment-trial.php

I was going to comment on outlook based on trials, but since I am not the board expert I will refrain since I don't want to be insulted.

If SLU can be the institution that develops a working treatment for the virus, I think the basketball team should be an automatic qualifier in next year's Final Four.  

TheChosenOne, moytoy12 and willie like this

Just now, SShoe said:

If SLU can be the institution that develops a working treatment for the virus, I think the basketball team should be an automatic qualifier in next year's Final Four.  

I refuse to read this thread, but saw SShoe’s last post and wanted to post this from Twitter. If somebody already posted it, sorry, but I’m not gonna read through this thread to check.0941B44C-EA5A-4196-BF22-22C993059DF4.thumb.png.4e8b6e1f4128f702df3dbeb9159cf56f.png

SShoe likes this

Oxford University signs a new player... AstraZenica and locks down the #1 seed on the T3 .....Treatment Trial Tourney known as Virus Madness.

They have already injected 100s of patients  and hope to have results in  6-10 weeks.    AZ is not waiting....They are picking up the ball now and starting to make the vaccine on the chance that it will work ....goal is to have 100 million doses by the end of the year....AZ will be providing the vaccine at cost (about $3/ dose)

Now they just have to go play the game( do the trial) and win it (successful vaccine)

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/astrazeneca-teams-up-with-oxford-university-to-develop-coronavirus-vaccine-first-results-from-human-trials-expected-in-june-or-july-2020-04-30

While the post I made above concerning a possible vaccine  is a bright spot in the battle against the virus there is also a dark side. That dark side is "we" (U S pharmaceutical companies) don't want to participate with Oxford U or AZ (or anyone else) unless "we" are given worldwide rights. ...ie the ability to gouge. The problem with taking that attitude is we ( US citizens) will be last in line to get the drug if it is successful as AZ said they will give it first to the UK (there own people) followed by needy (low income)  countries.  And of course,  if we develop our own treatment , we will have it at a much higher price than the $3 /dose OU/AZ will charge.  The Corona relief  bill that Congress just passed took out a provision to keep the price of treatments  at a reasonable level. This is spelled out in the NYT article below. Another item in the article below talks about how we (US government through the National Institute of Health) do most of the research for drug companies ...both here and abroad.  While the article mentions this phenomenon it doesn't yet know about the Oxford breakthrough because the article predated the research. Yet the article was right on as the current Oxford U study was conducted by the National institute of Health at the Rocky Mountain Lab in Montana paid for by you and me.

Hopefully, we (US Pharma) will come around and do the right thing.  Yes, I understand the drug companies are not charitable organizations.  But this pandemic has cost them more  (and will continue to cost them more) than they can make from some fat short term profits.  It is in their interest too,  to end the virus as quickly as possible.

Bottom line....Vaccines aren't big money makers...once everyone gets sick or gets the vaccine ...it's all over and there is no need for the vaccine anymore.

Checkout the article below....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/opinion/coronavirus-vaccine-cost.html

Spoon-Balls likes this

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

While the post I made above concerning a possible vaccine  is a bright spot in the battle against the virus there is also a dark side. That dark side is "we" (U S pharmaceutical companies) don't want to participate with Oxford U or AZ (or anyone else) unless "we" are given worldwide rights. ...ie the ability to gouge. The problem with taking that attitude is we ( US citizens) will be last in line to get the drug if it is successful as AZ said they will give it first to the UK (there own people) followed by needy (low income)  countries.  And of course,  if we develop our own treatment , we will have it at a much higher price than the $3 /dose OU/AZ will charge.  The Corona relief  bill that Congress just passed took out a provision to keep the price of treatments  at a reasonable level. This is spelled out in the NYT article below. Another item in the article below talks about how we (US government through the National Institute of Health) do most of the research for drug companies ...both here and abroad.  While the article mentions this phenomenon it doesn't yet know about the Oxford breakthrough because the article predated the research. Yet the article was right on as the current Oxford U study was conducted by the National institute of Health at the Rocky Mountain Lab in Montana paid for by you and me.

Hopefully, we (US Pharma) will come around and do the right thing.  Yes, I understand the drug companies are not charitable organizations.  But this pandemic has cost them more  (and will continue to cost them more) than they can make from some fat short term profits.  It is in their interest too,  to end the virus as quickly as possible.

Bottom line....Vaccines aren't big money makers...once everyone gets sick or gets the vaccine ...it's all over and there is no need for the vaccine anymore.

Checkout the article below....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/opinion/coronavirus-vaccine-cost.html

In the mid 1970s, the standard surveillance network for influenza in the US detected samples of genuine "swine flu" (the cause of the 1918 epidemic). The then head of the CDC raised the alarm and went all out in the preparation of an additional "swine flu" vaccine in addition to the normal flu vaccine available for the following season. There were campaigns promoting the extrra "swine flu" vaccination and a lot of people got the vaccine (me included). The "swine flu" epidemic predicted never happened that coming season. It was all a big flop in the  minds of the people. The head of the CDC became the ex head of the CDC, and there were a number of law suits against the vaccine makers for claims of allergic reactions (which are always possible with a vaccine) and for vague side effects. After this fiasco, a lot of the vaccine manufacturing migrated out of the US to  other countries. We have a lot of the research done here, but vaccines generally come from elsewhere.

AGB91 likes this

Not seeing much talk here or in the MSM on food shortages.  I am in the industry and these are real starting next week.  My company is a local distributor for a large meat supplier.  Our orders have been seeing a 30% hit in recent weeks.  Next week are seeing another 40% decline in available stock.  We service 40 stores and about 20 restaurant/delis in the metro east.  Certain items, like Hams, we aren't receiving enough product next week to service one store much less 40.  My company may be forced to take a week or two off at the end of May because of lack of product.

27 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Not seeing much talk here or in the MSM on food shortages.  I am in the industry and these are real starting next week.  My company is a local distributor for a large meat supplier.  Our orders have been seeing a 30% hit in recent weeks.  Next week are seeing another 40% decline in available stock.  We service 40 stores and about 20 restaurant/delis in the metro east.  Certain items, like Hams, we aren't receiving enough product next week to service one store much less 40.  My company may be forced to take a week or two off at the end of May because of lack of product.

Don’t know where you’re coming from with the MSM talk. I’ve been seeing plenty of articles talking about in the past few weeks. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/5830178/meat-shortages-coronavirus/%3famp=true

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3034748001

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1193401

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/business/economy/coronavirus-trump-meat-food-supply.amp.html

A few more entries into the T3 (Trial Treatment Tourney....Virus Madness)  sweet 16...

Moderna (US Biotech) has added a new player...Lonza (Swiss Pharma),,,they landed nearly a 1/2 billion in funding from the NIH and skipped animal trials and have already started dosing people....The huge amount of cash plus a quick start on human trials plus Lonza as a manufacturing partner....100 milliom doses a month...Looking for an answer (hoping for a successful vaccine) by July....is good for a 2nd seed

BioNTech/ Pfizer....Just started human trials ...good pickup in Pfizer.... 4th seed

Catalent/ JNJ....cranking up quick ...human trials in Sept...vaccine in early 21...10th seed

Bottom line...We don't need a World Champ...a Final 4 would be great...ie    4 vaccines that work..... all companies cranking out doses.

https://www.biopharmadive.com/news/coronavirus-moderna-lonza-mrna-vaccine-manufacturing/577169/

GBL_Bills likes this

Gates is spending $250 million to find a vaccine .....he has an elite 8  he has picked out which he has not named publicly  ( out of 80)...his bracket is ahead of mine....

He will build 8 factories  so the elite can get started making vaccines.....he will then pick 1 or 2 winners and they will keep going....he will waste some money on extra manufacturing facilities but not time as he will not have to wait for a winner and then get started.

Wiz, this sounds a bit far fetched to me. Remember that the issue is not only to get the vaccine approved by passing the testing stage, but to bring about large scale production in a very short period of time. I know that $250 M sounds like a lot of money, and that Gates has a lot more he can spend. But building 8 factories to test 8 different vaccines and then limit them to 1 or 2 for the  final run looks to me like it will take a lot more than his $250 M and a lot longer that the time the competition will allow him to have. I think Gates will not get the brass ring in this competition. One last point is how he plans to make the vaccine. If he needs a full virus which is either killed or inactivated, then he is going to need a LONG time to get there. If he uses particles of the virus envelope to provide the antigen needed he might do it in a much shorter amount of time and at a lower budget, but I still think he is hopelessly behind.

10 hours ago, Old guy said:

Wiz, this sounds a bit far fetched to me. Remember that the issue is not only to get the vaccine approved by passing the testing stage, but to bring about large scale production in a very short period of time. I know that $250 M sounds like a lot of money, and that Gates has a lot more he can spend. But building 8 factories to test 8 different vaccines and then limit them to 1 or 2 for the  final run looks to me like it will take a lot more than his $250 M and a lot longer that the time the competition will allow him to have. I think Gates will not get the brass ring in this competition. One last point is how he plans to make the vaccine. If he needs a full virus which is either killed or inactivated, then he is going to need a LONG time to get there. If he uses particles of the virus envelope to provide the antigen needed he might do it in a much shorter amount of time and at a lower budget, but I still think he is hopelessly behind.

The quote I saw was a ‘couple billion’ that he is puttin  into this, or expects to lose. So, it is probably just $250 sunk at this point.also, I don’t know if it is public which ones he is committed to, but the Oxford study mentioned it was funded by the Gates foundation, which would at least put his work at the current front of vaccine development.

However flu and pneumonia deaths are about 70,000 less then they've been in decades.  

27 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

However flu and pneumonia deaths are about 70,000 less then they've been in decades.  

Polio way down, measles coming back. Sports blue balls way inflamed.

29 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

This is incorrect. 

CDC estimates up to 60,000 deaths from the flu this past flu season (October - April). Wide range in the estimation this year because of COVID. 

That is very much on par with previous years in the past decade  

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/past-seasons.html

48 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

There has also been a rapid decline in deaths from heart attacks. Curious thing to happen, maybe they are being labelled as COVID deaths, who knows how records are kept in some States.