SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

Well courtside, I just hope and pray you get it, progress all the way into ventilation, and gracefully become one more death statistic among the 80+% who don't make it out of ventilation. This will allow you to die in peace knowing that all of your learned thoughts and information were absolutely true and correct. If nothing else you will know you were right. Make sure you refuse all unproven and dangerous medications in your progression to ventilatory support. In fact, make sure you write this down as part of your living will. And don't worry if you miss the first wave there will be a second wave, and a third, and umpteenth waves coming shortly, you will have plenty of chance to achieve your goal of Posthumous Rightfulness.

I know what a heavy burden you carry upon your shoulders, being right is such an enormous load to bear. It is only made more burdensome by the duty to call everyone else who does not agree with you whatever you wish to call them. Such a load to bear.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Well courtside, I just hope and pray you get it, progress all the way into ventilation, and gracefully become one more death statistic among the 80+% who don't make it out of ventilation. This will allow you to die in peace knowing that all of your learned thoughts and information were absolutely true and correct.

Finally, old guy says something repulsive enough that there is no other option but

Your Outta Here GIFs | Tenor

Zink and Spoon-Balls like this

11 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Well courtside, I just hope and pray you get it, progress all the way into ventilation, and gracefully become one more death statistic among the 80+% who don't make it out of ventilation. This will allow you to die in peace knowing that all of your learned thoughts and information were absolutely true and correct. If nothing else you will know you were right. Make sure you refuse all unproven and dangerous medications in your progression to ventilatory support. In fact, make sure you write this down as part of your living will. And don't worry if you miss the first wave there will be a second wave, and a third, and umpteenth waves coming shortly, you will have plenty of chance to achieve your goal of Posthumous Rightfulness.

I know what a heavy burden you carry upon your shoulders, being right is such an enormous load to bear. It is only made more burdensome by the duty to call everyone else who does not agree with you whatever you wish to call them. Such a load to bear.

@SluSignGuy I appreciate you letting this thread be open but this has to be his last ever post right?

Zink, BilliesBy40 and Bizziken like this

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

@SluSignGuy I appreciate you letting this thread be open but this has to be his last ever post right?

MUCH worse things have been said i this thread and I'm going out of my way not to read it.  I'm a broken record but it's high time this thread euthanized.......

slufanskip likes this

10 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Finally, old guy says something repulsive enough that there is no other option but

Your Outta Here GIFs | Tenor

He's on ignore so I had to click on it.  Wow.  Wishing death on a fellow board member...unconscionable.  He's got to go.  

27 minutes ago, Old guy said:

You're an actual piece of sh*t.

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I feel your pain, Brian.  When you defended Old Guy as the most knowledgeable MBM on this pandemic, which is equivalent of giving props to the tallest midget, I cringed.    And the charts we had for Italy and Spain at the time already pointed to death totals way over 26,000 here in the U.S.  I knew your take wouldn't end well.  

I let hope get the best of me on saying that number would be closer to correct. I was in a dark place before that when it came to where I thought we were headed with this virus then I heard what appeared to be some positive news that made me feel much better and allowed myself to get way out ahead of where I should have been. 

Now I am in place of acceptance that we are going to have to live with this virus for years.  The outlook isn't great, but it isn't as potentially deadly as I once thought.  That isn't to say there isn't going to be many deaths.  The most likely future I see is one where this virus is going to eventually find all of us and if I or anyone else is one of the people that will die from it that is what is going to happen. It just won't be at a 2% or higher clip.  I think it will be well under 1%,  but a death rate still multiple times greater than the flu and with a much higher morbidity rate because their is no built up immunity in the population or vaccine. 

This is what set off Courtside in this thread:

In Old Guy’s defense, he isn’t some MBM mouthing off on here.  This is the stuff he did for a living.  Also, many in their field have took issue with Ferguson’s work.

That post is factual and there are other members on the board if they choose that can back up the fact that this is what Old Guy did.  That lead to this response from Courtside:

You’re kidding correct? 

You wouldn’t know his credentials from reading this thread. What I have seen is consistent downplaying of the pandemic from him and at other times wildly contradictory opinions of a few other things. 

I have seen downplaying of the significant lack of administration preparedness and long delayed initial response. I have seen the downplaying of testing and tracing. I have seen the downplaying of the length of time of the pandemic. (He said its over in May) He has said there will be less than 26k U.S. deaths as if more than twice the flu death rate is no big deal. (I’m sure he’ll come back and elevate the flu mortality rate for us) And, of course, man others have suggested numbers much higher. And this is while everything is being shut down for weeks now. 

Numbers would be even significantly higher without large mitigation efforts. The flu of of course has treatment and vaccines of which COVID-19 does not. I have seen questionable economic thoughts as if letting things continue business as usual would be better economically than current efforts. Many others would disagree. I have seen zero global interest on his part. I have not yet seen where he has also discussed and included significant long term damage such as lung damage and other potentials which greatly reduce quality of life and increase mortality rates.  

I saw him praise Dr. Fauci but later question him as Fauci’s many interviews don’t line up with Old Guy’s beliefs. 

To which I responded:

I know people who know Old Guy from off the board. I thought Old Guy was an act before I was informed who he actually was and what he did/use to do.  This was all long before any of this stuff came up.  This is the stuff he did/does for a living.  If I recall correctly he has worked both in the public sector and in the private sector.  I think he and Fauci actually worked together at one point.

That doesn’t mean I agree with him about everything on this topic, but his opinion is informed and it is a topic he has expertise in.  His posts on this topic shouldn’t be cavalierly dismissed as many seem to be more than willing to do. He knows more about epidemics/pandemics than anyone else posting on this board.

Again that post is factually correct about the credentials of Old Guy and I even point out I don't agree with him on everything about this topic.  Since then courtside has decided to falsely imply that I have tried to say all kinds of things, but he does have me on that predicting that the number would be closer to 26,000 than the earlier much higher numbers.  That is why he only pulls a quote from those posts.  

AGB91, billiken_roy and SLU_Lax like this

43 minutes ago, Old guy said:

You need help, serious help.  

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I let hope get the best of me on saying that number would be closer to correct. I was in a dark place before that when it came to where I thought we were headed with this virus then I heard what appeared to be some positive news that made me feel much better and allowed myself to get way out ahead of where I should have been. 

Now I am in place of acceptance that we are going to have to live with this virus for years.  The outlook isn't great, but it isn't as potentially deadly as I once thought.  That isn't to say there isn't going to be many deaths.  The most likely future I see is one where this virus is going to eventually find all of us and if I or anyone else is one of the people that will die from it that is what is going to happen. It just won't be at a 2% or higher clip.  I think it will be well under 1%,  but a death rate still multiple times greater than the flu and with a much higher morbidity rate because their is no built up immunity in the population or vaccine. 

This is what set off Courtside in this thread:

That post is factual and there are other members on the board if they choose that can back up the fact that this is what Old Guy did.  That lead to this response from Courtside:

To which I responded:

Again that post is factually correct about the credentials of Old Guy and I even point out I don't agree with him on everything about this topic.  Since then courtside has decided to falsely imply that I have tried to say all kinds of things, but he does have me on that predicting that the number would be closer to 26,000 than the earlier much higher numbers.  That is why he only pulls a quote from those posts.  

Peddling faster and faster Brian. Now you are saying why I post what I post. You are not aware of many people’s knowledge or lack of knowledge of this subject other than to be able to go by what people post. Old Guy’s posts and those of many others are all here to see and read. I quoted multiple of your posts, including what you have mentioned. 

43 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

A good read.  One thing that I need to remind myself when reading these types of things is that forever is a long time and that many of the things predicted would require people to suppress basic human nature forever.  We are a social species, it is hard wire in our DNA.  We feel a need to get together, to explore, to go out, etc.. Fear tends to fade quickly and then I think basic human nature takes over again.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Here’s the thing Old Guy, I didn’t force you to post the things you posted in this thread...and it’s been quite a bit. You, and a few others, such as Brian for example, were way too dismissive of the knowledge of some others posting here about this topic.

You made your repeated assertions about death totals, dismissing the devastatingly large number ( less than 26k) as merely a guessing game of whether or not Old Guy can be correct. You advocated specific medication and pushed its success while ignoring the many serious side effects never-mind the lack of proven randomized controlled trials. It wasn’t exactly a balanced viewpoint.

Here above, you can’t resist mentioning ventilators for example. No one wants to be on a ventilator. You see I’ve been in the room, and I’ve also taken the calls regarding ventilator decisions, whether to put in, to take out, at just the precise moments to maximize success or to limit pain in critical care situations.  Life and death decisions sometimes. You dismissed ventilators, a last line of defense, earlier in this thread, despite thousands that come off of ventilators thus making it a proven, viable, reliable, last resort option, among other various options along the way. Are we going to discuss how many times one is on a ventilator or LTACS next? 

You have narcissistically bullied young adults here including at least one female. You have suggested that some medical professions are somehow not as worthy as some others, including an archaic take on psychiatry. 

You were triggered when you ran into several people who knew what they were talking about, yet still somehow managed to give you the respect you did not give to them. 

That’s because the topic never mattered. You positioned yourself as apolitical despite pushing specific talking points at specific times as well as not doing so at specific times.  It’s not enough to discuss the topic objectively, share information. It’s about not only having an identity as an expert, but the expert, and threatening anyone that questions that. Some are dismissed as small minded plebs. Some however are threatening to your identity, and must be struck down. And when you have run out of topic discussion, attacking the other person is your ventilator, your last resort. 

Does it really matter?  Well...

When these types of things matter are when dangerous advice and conclusions are given. When it matters is when people with dangerous ideas are enabled and condoned. 

9 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Couldn't you just stop coming to this site? Would accomplish the same goal without bothering Steve.

i prefer my name off the site and i fail to see how this would bother steve, he is the administrator. my request certainly is not any of your business. as my uncle used to say, "you can go pound sand"

HenryB likes this

29 minutes ago, brianstl said:

A good read.  One thing that I need to remind myself when reading these types of things is that forever is a long time and that many of the things predicted would require people to suppress basic human nature forever.  We are a social species, it is hard wire in our DNA.  We feel a need to get together, to explore, to go out, etc.. Fear tends to fade quickly and then I think basic human nature takes over again.

I certainly agree with this. People have relatively short memories and over time will revert to their long-term habits. The key for all the businesses and companies outlined in that article is for them to hang on long enough to make it.

TheDude likes this

3 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

i prefer my name off the site and i fail to see how this would bother steve, he is the administrator. my request certainly is not any of your business. as my uncle used to say, "you can go pound sand"

I just thought it was funny that you would need your account closed when not typing billikens.com into your browser accomplishes the same thing, dennis_w.

8 content strategies that work for dating (with GIFS because ...

Just now, TheChosenOne said:

I just thought it was funny that you would need your account closed when not typing billikens.com into your browser accomplishes the same thing, dennis_w.

8 content strategies that work for dating (with GIFS because ...

My point is i want my name off of the message board, i dont want to be associated with the multiple losers on this board. which you may be one of. so please steve take me off

1 minute ago, dennis_w said:

My point is i want my name off of the message board, i dont want to be associated with the multiple losers on this board. which you may be one of. so please steve take me off

Probably should message him directly instead of post about it in random threads.

13 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

i asked to be removed, you chose to reply. so tell me what is happening? why do you care about my request?

I don't care and should not have replied, my apologies. Now I again go back to my original recommendation, just stop typing billikens.com into your browser while Steve takes care of getting your account removed. And in response to your previous post, I am definitely a loser as I assume the vast majority of us are since we dedicate far too much time on a message board dedicated to a college basketball program.

I feel like I jumped into a fight that I was not a part of (nor do I know what the fight is even about), what is wrong with me.

RUBillsFan likes this

3 hours ago, kshoe said:

Honestly, that's where self selection has to come in. The Government should open it back up and make it clear that the younger and healthier you are the less chance there is you will die. If people in that middle age range or those with pre-existing conditions want to stay home and not work then so be it but let the people that want to work go do it. Yes there will be people that abuse the system and there will be inequities, but its far better than telling EVERYONE to stay home. 

I think it is much more complicated than the picture you are painting here.  The biggest issue is people who are not showing symptoms, but can still be spreading the disease.  By opening everything back up (without mass testing in place), you are definitely making everything more dangerous for the older population because the odds they run into someone who may spread it at a place they have to go like the the grocery store, doctor's office, etc. are much higher.  There are plenty of workers who may be in that older group and are "essential", so you're putting them at a higher risk.  Also, people who work at nursing homes become much more of a liability to their residents if they are going around like business as usual outside of work.

The ideal scenario is that we have a massive upgrade in testing, tracing & isolating.  Allow the younger population to essentially go about business like normal unless they are exposed / test positive & then they are quarantined until proven to not be contagious.  Older people are still encouraged to stay home, but with the testing, tracing & isolating in place it isn't exceptionally risky for them to do things that are necessary like grocery store, doctors office, etc.  Some safeguards stay in in place or are added for those types of businesses (ex: senior hours).  Nursing home workers, etc. are tested regularly to ensure safety of residents.

Opening up just to young people without the massive upgrade in testing, tracing & isolating, creates too many other problems IMO.

bleedtheblue and moytoy12 like this