SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

25 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

John Oliver is doing amazing stuff these days.  I watch his reports weekly: very funny but highly informative; rhetorically and stylistically he is at the top of the heap right now, in terms of political satir.

Another excellent source at the moment is the Atlantic online site, with many excellent reports on higher ed.  I love our roster and the new guys, but I and many of you other MBM's are not going to like this headline one bit:  https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/04/will-colleges-be-open-coronavirus/610657/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share&fbclid=IwAR2w-X74feBg-99X-he9f1BjdlqTH3fGLc8cAQlMNq7V41Q-JNYDp2muQVw

Agree with everything in this post 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Why isn’t this getting more attention?

I was excited about that article also.  Until I learned that there were lots of potential coronavirus treatments out there, some of which have already received FDA approval.  In fact, there are already 72 clinical trials underway with FDA oversight.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/fda-voices/path-forward-coronavirus-treatment-acceleration-program

43 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Probably because it needs to be approved by the FDA...The promise is that it has stopped the virus in the lab .  Also that it is currently approved and being used  for certain cancer treatments with few side effects.  Hopefully,  the FDA can get up to speed quickly on this treatment. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2020/04/08/handicapping-the-most-promising-of-267-potential-coronavirus-cures/

Here are the top 50 treatments (out of 267 ) under review ....not including the one I mentioned above as it came out 6 days after the article.

Hmmm....Top 50 of 267   vs  top 64 of 353 ......Maybe I should setup a bracket and see if we can predict a Final 4.

kappy96, Reinert310 and GBL_Bills like this

2 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

It is curious. Haven’t seen much, if any, coverage  of this. 

Doesn't fit the main stream medial narative.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2020/04/08/handicapping-the-most-promising-of-267-potential-coronavirus-cures/

Here are the top 50 treatments (out of 267 ) under review ....not including the one I mentioned above as it came out 6 days after the article.

Hmmm....Top 50 of 267   vs  top 64 of 353 ......Maybe I should setup a bracket and see if we can predict a Final 4.

waiting for your whole breakdown on this :)

4 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

SLU will be absolutely smoked if they can’t open for the fall semester. There is zero incentive for a freshman to “go” to SLU if there is no campus open. They’d stay home and do their online classes at the local community college for 1/15 (or less) of the price. I think most students with financial sense would follow a similar path, taking a semester off and taking core online classes at StLCC or wherever. 

The whole situation is fast-tracking a lot of societal changes that were moving along slowly due to humanity’s natural resistance to change.  While I think a lot of the talking-head essayist are going too far in claiming “things will change for good” (while usually pushing their agenda on what that change should/will be), there are some things it is hard to see not happening:

-The university system bubble is going to burst with a lot of schools who focused entirely on enticing students through buildings and sports with weak academics having no value proposition to offer student.

-Mail-in voting become much more ubiquitous.

-Commercial real estate seeing a huge demand drought for years as smaller firms realize the cost savings of all virtual teams.

-(Hopefully) The end of the fly-across-the-country-despite-having-nothing-to-say-just-wanted-to-shake-your-hand model of b2b sales and marketing.

-A re-birth of the late 80s early 90s made-for-TV sports properties where everything is based on creating a show and not a live audience. I’d expect the next attempt at a XFL-style alternative league in any sport will be played in a warehouse-turned-TV studio and not a stadium/arena.

3star_recruit likes this

32 minutes ago, ARon said:

The whole situation is fast-tracking a lot of societal changes that were moving along slowly due to humanity’s natural resistance to change.  While I think a lot of the talking-head essayist are going too far in claiming “things will change for good” (while usually pushing their agenda on what that change should/will be), there are some things it is hard to see not happening:

-The university system bubble is going to burst with a lot of schools who focused entirely on enticing students through buildings and sports with weak academics having no value proposition to offer student.

-Mail-in voting become much more ubiquitous.

-Commercial real estate seeing a huge demand drought for years as smaller firms realize the cost savings of all virtual teams.

-(Hopefully) The end of the fly-across-the-country-despite-having-nothing-to-say-just-wanted-to-shake-your-hand model of b2b sales and marketing.

-A re-birth of the late 80s early 90s made-for-TV sports properties where everything is based on creating a show and not a live audience. I’d expect the next attempt at a XFL-style alternative league in any sport will be played in a warehouse-turned-TV studio and not a stadium/arena.

I really can't argue with your points - I think you are right except I would offer one counterpoint to your first one.  I do think kids will want to still go away to school or at least not have to live at home so they can have the experience of being on their own to some extent.  A school who can provide that kind of experience with a quality program will still attract students.  I do agree that your first point will have some validity.

31 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I really can't argue with your points - I think you are right except I would offer one counterpoint to your first one.  I do think kids will want to still go away to school or at least not have to live at home so they can have the experience of being on their own to some extent.  A school who can provide that kind of experience with a quality program will still attract students.  I do agree that your first point will have some validity.

I don’t disagree.  I’m not saying (most) of these institutions will be going away.  But they’ll be hurting.  Perhaps it will finally lead to some changes to how tuition pricing and financing is done.

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

This piece at least makes an attempt to come to terms with the future we are actually facing. these are the kinds of discussions that we need to be having.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/reopening-the-u-s-economy-even-if-the-pandemic-endures-11587740529?redirect=amp#click=https://t.co/Dhsg6yKfa9

That was a well thought out and balanced article. Thanks for sharing.

9 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

because it is a fluff piece that non scientifically discuss in vitro response of the virus to the "aptmer".  They have not done any clinical trial to see if there is an effect.  In vitro response does not automatically equate to human response.  

ARon, billikenbill and Old guy like this

21 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Atlantic seems to be the fairest print source these days. There’s some anti-Trump bias, but overall they cite facts to support their opinions. 

7 minutes ago, kshoe said:

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/studies-coronavirus-less-deadly-more-common-than-experts-believed/

This is pretty much where I'm at. Young people need to get back to work. Old people need to stay home. 

I believe Texas is doing a phased re-start in a way that makes a lot of sense to me. Businesses can open but with 25% total capacity. Wait a week or two, re-evaluate, then 50% if things go smoothly. 

9 minutes ago, kshoe said:

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/studies-coronavirus-less-deadly-more-common-than-experts-believed/

This is pretty much where I'm at. Young people need to get back to work. Old people need to stay home. 

That will happen.  In the meantime, we've had nearly 60K people die from COVID-19 in two months, despite social distancing.  That's hella deadly.

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

That will happen.  In the meantime, we've had nearly 60K people die from COVID-19 in two months, despite social distancing.  That's hella deadly.

And deaths are vastly underreported. The actual number is significantly higher.

34 minutes ago, courtside said:

Clay Travis isn't a credible person.

To me it's less about the messenger than the message. Are there particular statistics or facts in that article that you find to be inaccurate or so materially flawed to change the conclusion that young people generally don't die from this virus while old people do?

43 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

In 2019, about 8,000 Americans died per day, on average. So 720,000 would have died during March and April, corona or no corona. I'doubt the data is fully available but it would be really interesting to see how many people in total died this past March and April. Meaning, how many people that died from corona may have died from something else? Or, if corona deaths are being "vastly" under reported how many total deaths did we have and the difference can be attributable to corona plus the randomness of any given month.

TheChosenOne, Old guy and brianstl like this

35 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

And people are not going to stop dying of COVID-19 no matter what we do.  The virus is here to stay, it spreads easily and we won't have a vaccine for years.  We have to resign ourselves to the reality that we will have to function as a society with those facts going forward.  The shutdowns were sold as a way to stop the medical system from crashing and were definitely needed.  Shutdowns are never going to be effective in eliminating the virus.  

TheChosenOne likes this