SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

3 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I ask this sincerely because I think you’ve been one of the most respectful posters in this thread: how long do you think it would take for people to start behaving in the way you indicate? It hasn’t happened yet, and we are nearly one month into social distancing.

I think people will behave until one of two things happen:

1) The checks from the government stop coming.

2) school starts back up in September and they are told to stay home. Distance learning is at best 60% effective and for many public and rural schools they’ve just shut down. Keeping the kids out of school for another year isn’t an option. I’d expect protests at that point.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

You think 88,000 is an acceptable number!!!!! What a heartless sob you are....you do however admit that it’s a major problem by saying there would be tens of thousands more deaths.. by your rational, in dealing with the Coronavirus, shouldn’t the Governor just ban all alcohol sales? Wouldn’t that insure that no one would be at risk???? Why is that risk acceptable but not the risk of acquiring a virus????  Maybe you would feel better if we had a daily posting of deaths everyday, and we could scare the crap out of every citizen and live in fear of ever leaving our home?

No i never said 88,000 is acceptable, but don’t let perfect be the enemy of the good.

6 hours ago, almaman said:

haha

Is that your pathetic attempt to mock the elderly? I thought you were willing to shut down the economy to protect the most vulnerable, yet here you are ridiculing them...what a fraud you are. You could learn from the elderly about how Americans dealt with adversity in the past. They faced it head on. They didn't turtle like cowards and surrender. Safe to say the newest generations will never be known as the greatest.  Just think....one day you will be able to tell your grandchildren what you did during the great virus of 2020...you can boast about your part in how you helped bring America down....make sure you keep your bandana for a souvenir.  Bet you have cutest pink one.

AGB91, dennis_w and Old guy like this

1 hour ago, HenryB said:

Is that your pathetic attempt to mock the elderly? I thought you were willing to shut down the economy to protect the most vulnerable, yet here you are ridiculing them...what a fraud you are. You could learn from the elderly about how Americans dealt with adversity in the past. They faced it head on. They didn't turtle like cowards and surrender. Safe to say the newest generations will never be known as the greatest.  Just think....one day you will be able to tell your grandchildren what you did during the great virus of 2020...you can boast about your part in how you helped bring America down....make sure you keep your bandana for a souvenir.  Bet you have cutest pink one.

If me joking that BBF lived through prohibition is “ridiculing the elderly” and me doing “my part in helping to bring America down” then I apologize.  

Edited by glazedandconfused
Delete some

1 hour ago, HenryB said:

Big Bill Fan is going to be VERY upset at your reference to pink in the bandana.  He was upset earlier that pronouns such as she and her were being used to describe a woman.

Since you seem very interested in reacting strongly about how this is a generational issue, we can talk about comparing this to the Vietnam War. Just under 58,000 US Soldiers died over several years before we pulled out. Can you give us some lessons from that engagement that we can apply to this?

I understand everyone is upset, but this is going nowhere. It is just people sniping every other side and propping up straw man arguments. It is a shame because there are some great nuggets of information and discussion nestled into this thread. 

14 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

This virus has killed 26,000 people and counting with the country going into complete lockdown. So if we hadn't gone to the measures we had, where would the death count be? These restrictions can't go on forever and I agree with @kshoe that we're going to have to go back to some level of normalcy once it's time for school to resume in the fall but I also think that the mass hysteria was valid and has saved lives while we work towards slowing the virus and finding a solution. 

I agree with this. I hate that we've had to do what we've done but I agree it was the right thing to do. But I'm also of the belief that this has to be temporary in nature and stretching this to a time period that allows for a vaccine to be ready and thus fully limit the death toll to the lowest possible limits (i.e. full shut-down until a vaccine is ready) just isn't practicable nor is it prudent for the long-term well being of this country and this world.

TheChosenOne and moytoy12 like this

18 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I agree with this. I hate that we've had to do what we've done but I agree it was the right thing to do. But I'm also of the belief that this has to be temporary in nature and stretching this to a time period that allows for a vaccine to be ready and thus fully limit the death toll to the lowest possible limits (i.e. full shut-down until a vaccine is ready) just isn't practicable nor is it prudent for the long-term well being of this country and this world.

I have no doubt that attempts to reopen the economy will be made in weeks not months because similar noises are already being made in Europe.  The question is will we adopt the only practice that has worked in both Asia and Europe: massive testing of the general population and isolation.  If not, we could be right back here in November, lamenting the Billiken season that could have been.

SShoe and cheeseman like this

27 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Hopefully people will realize there is no current vaccine for SARS or MERS, or other Corona type viruses, iirc.

That leaves medication or antigens as the main tool in the tool 📦.

Is that because those Viruses are impossible to get a vaccine for?  

Or bc after it went away there was no reason to invest in a vaccine?

16 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I have no doubt that attempts to reopen the economy will be made in weeks not months because similar noises are already being made in Europe.  The question is will we adopt the only practice that has worked in both Asia and Europe: massive testing of the general population and isolation.  If not, we could be right back here in November, lamenting the Billiken season that could have been.

This.

We need to get back to some level of normalcy by the end of the summer but I also hope there can be some compromise there. Sporting events may need to be with limited fans (if at all). If you have the ability work from home, you may need to do that on alternating days to limit the number of people in a workplace. Those still have negative economic effects but I think certain things will still be necessary. Schools will need larger sanitation budgets and may need to social distance as much as possible during the day.

As 3star said, testing procedures will have to improve. I have a friend who works in a factory who was in regular contact with 2 people who tested positive for the virus. They have decided to not test him because he has mild symptoms and is generally healthy. He will be fine. But shouldn't he know if he has the virus or not so that he can inform more at-risk people that he has been in contact with such as his 70 year parents? He has decided to self quarantine which helps but not everyone can do that.

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

This virus has killed 26,000 people and counting with the country going into complete lockdown. So if we hadn't gone to the measures we had, where would the death count be? These restrictions can't go on forever and I agree with @kshoe that we're going to have to go back to some level of normalcy once it's time for school to resume in the fall but I also think that the mass hysteria was valid and has saved lives while we work towards slowing the virus and finding a solution. 

Over 32K as of last night

12 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

We need to get back to some level of normalcy by the end of the summer but I also hope there can be some compromise there. Sporting events may need to be with limited fans (if at all). If you have the ability work from home, you may need to do that on alternating days to limit the number of people in a workplace. Those still have negative economic effects but I think certain things will still be necessary. Schools will need larger sanitation budgets and may need to social distance as much as possible during the day.

As 3star said, testing procedures will have to improve. I have a friend who works in a factory who was in regular contact with 2 people who tested positive for the virus. They have decided to not test him because he has mild symptoms and is generally healthy. He will be fine. But shouldn't he know if he has the virus or not so that he can inform more at-risk people that he has been in contact with such as his 70 year parents? He has decided to self quarantine which helps but not everyone can do that.

i donbt understand your thinking.   it wouldnt be safe for fans but let the athletes play and get sick?   cant have it both ways.  if it is truly that dangerous, no one should be out.  stay in your basement.

Just now, billiken_roy said:

i donbt understand your thinking.   it wouldnt be safe for fans but let the athletes play and get sick?   cant have it both ways.  if it is truly that dangerous, no one should be out.  stay in your basement.

Well it would be MUCH easier to test all players than all fans.

21 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

that will go over big with the players unions.   

47 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

It is also a matter of limiting large crowds so you don't have a super spreader event.  You're talking about 45k fans versus probably 100 or so players, coaches, production staff, etc.  Odds of someone in the 45k having / spreading the virus are much higher and the odds of them spreading it to a large group of people at the game are much higher. 

I feel like it is unlikely we will see normal sports / concerts with a ton of fans for a long time / until there is a vaccine.  Even after most other things open back up.  There is the matter of whether officials / leagues will allow it and whether fans will actually show up as well.  I'm sure as hell not going to a crowded sporting event or concert right now and I'd wager Roy would agree.

32 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

that will go over big with the players unions.   

Take a test and get back to work or don't take the test and don't get paid. Seems like nearly every American would take that deal and I'm sure athletes will too.

SShoe and MB73 like this

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

What was done needed to be done so the medical system wouldn’t be overwhelmed. That said the sad thing is no lives were saved.  Those deaths were just delayed.  This is a novel virus that spreads easily.  It is going to keep spreading and keep taking lives until their is a vaccine.  The vaccine is years away at least.  It could be decades away.

So going forward what kind of world are we willing to live in for the next five or more years?  Because that is what is what we are deciding.  Do you want a world where you don’t vacation away from you live? Are you cool with never going to a sporting event again?  Are you ok with peoples kids not be able to play team sports?  High schoolers never having a school dance? No traditional church services? No more Fair St. Louis? No school picnics?

Because that is the next five years of slowing the spread.  These are the things we need to ask ourselves.  The virus isn’t a few month thing or even an 18 month thing.  COVID 19 is our long term future.  We need to come to terms with that.

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

That said the sad thing is no lives were saved. 

Disagree with this point. Spreading out cases means everyone has access to ICU equipment who needs them. There was a story out of Italy of a 70 yo priest giving up his ventilator so someone else could be put on it. The priest ended up dying. Would he have lived if he stayed on the ventilator? Who knows? If we avoided making war-time triage decisions, we probably saved lives.

glazedandconfused and Zink like this