SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Anyone have any recommendations for a series to start binge watching? I’m rolling thru Ozark now. Some “current” shows I really like include Billions and Succession. 

Jack Ryan - Amazon I believe - if not then try Netflix.  The most recent one has two seasons to it.

On 4/11/2020 at 12:32 PM, TheChosenOne said:

Anyone have any recommendations for a series to start binge watching? I’m rolling thru Ozark now. Some “current” shows I really like include Billions and Succession. 

Bodyguard on Netflix was good. It’s only 1 season so you can rip through it pretty quick. 

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Jack Ryan - Amazon I believe - if not then try Netflix.  The most recent one has two seasons to it.

I would recommend Jack Ryan as well. I thought the first season was better than the second though. 

ARon likes this

2 hours ago, Westy03 said:

Bodyguard on Netflix was good. It’s only 1 season so you can rip through it pretty quick. 

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, this should get me thru the next few weeks. Might start with Bodyguard.

I have seen both seasons of Jack Ryan and was a huge fan of the first season. I still enjoyed the second season, but not quite as much. I read a lot of Vince Flynn and Brad Thor, so Jack Ryan is a pretty good fit for me (24 was the first series I ever binge watched, but with DVDs!).

I have also seen the first season of Master of None (saw that recommended) and enjoyed that, saw that recommended and will need to get to the second season. Which reminds me that while I really like Schitt’s Creek, I still am not caught up. Now I have too many options haha.

While missing the A10 tourney was brutal, we did get in a full regular season. And honestly, while we were playing really well, getting to the big dance was still a long shot (basically requiring beating Dayton, which no one in the conference had done in 18 attempts). I think that 2/18 loss to UMass really put us in NIT-land - but that's besides the point. 

Point is, the non-con season (usually) starts the first week of November, which unlike other sports that are facing complications or cancellations of their seasons (NHL, MLB, NBA) or the start to their season (NFL - despite them putting their head in the sand and pretending that's not the case), the NCAA Basketball season is just late enough that it could benefit from other leagues figuring out some of the logistics (screening players, playing in empty stadiums, etc...) and what the new normal will be for the time-being. 

It would be kind of amazing, but seems possible, that the off-season could overlap perfectly with the worst of the disruptions. It will always suck to have missed the 2020 A10 tourney, but '20-'21 was always the optional vision. 

Watching ZeroZeroZero on Prime. Really good globetrotting drama about drug smuggling - grittier and less Captain America-y than Jack Ryan, in a good way. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

8 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, this should get me thru the next few weeks. Might start with Bodyguard.

I have seen both seasons of Jack Ryan and was a huge fan of the first season. I still enjoyed the second season, but not quite as much. I read a lot of Vince Flynn and Brad Thor, so Jack Ryan is a pretty good fit for me (24 was the first series I ever binge watched, but with DVDs!).

I have also seen the first season of Master of None (saw that recommended) and enjoyed that, saw that recommended and will need to get to the second season. Which reminds me that while I really like Schitt’s Creek, I still am not caught up. Now I have too many options haha.

metoo on Schitt's creek. reminds me of my problem with Modern Family I can't remember how far I'm into so fear trying to get back in. The first episode of the second season MoN is a mini masterpiece. It's kind of dreamlike and sort of separate from rest of the series.

I did not see live but assume it was on life in the afternoon ESPN had 3 NBA guys playing horse on remote from their respective cribs. repeated in evening

TheChosenOne likes this

It is pretty interesting that another study came at Friday showing a increased risk with COVID 19 for those with A+ blood and a significant decrease In risk for those with O+.  This tracks with a previous study in Wuhan and previous studies dealing with SARS.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.08.20058073v1

3 hours ago, philliken said:

Money Heist on Netflix.  I'm into season 2 (of 4); and I'm really impressed.

I like Money Heist also. However I have not liked season 2 as much as season 1. I'm not sure I'm even going to finish season 2. 

27 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I like Money Heist also. However I have not liked season 2 as much as season 1. I'm not sure I'm even going to finish season 2. 

is it one continuous story, or like Fargo different story per season?

1 hour ago, almaman said:

is it one continuous story, or like Fargo different story per season?

So far halfway into season 2, it's one continuous story.  I believe all 4 are about the same group.

Most mystery/heist shows feature unrealistic plot lines; but these justify them pretty well.  It seems pretty realistic thus far.

Eugene Levy was always over rated in  my opinion.  He peaked in 1984 in the movie Splash  Give me David Foley and the Kids in the Hall everyday and twice on Sunday.  Find some channel somewhere playing News Radio.......Dave Foley AND the late great Phil Hartman.  God I miss Phil Hartman......

SLU_Lax and thetorch like this

On 4/9/2020 at 2:24 PM, almaman said:

O Gs 26K. line in the sand will be passed in less than 6 days if we avg the same total as last 2 days divided by 2. 

Trump needs you in the inner circle Old Guy your alternative facts will fit right in with the other crooks and idiots.

Well it looks like we will still be under 26,000 tomorrow.  We will eventually pass it before the weekend, but I think Old Guy projection will be closer than anything we got from the models that were touted as gospel early on.  Old Guy maybe an A$$, but he clearly knew what he was talking about here.  

We were projected to have 40 deaths over the last two days in Missouri.  It looks like we ended up with six.  The projection yesterday for the US was 2,150, it looks like the total 1,659.  Yesterday was supposed to be peak death according to the IHME.

dennis_w likes this

10 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Eugene Levy was always over rated in  my opinion.  He peaked in 1984 in the movie Splash  Give me David Foley and the Kids in the Hall everyday and twice on Sunday.  Find some channel somewhere playing News Radio.......Dave Foley AND the late great Phil Hartman.  God I miss Phil Hartman......

Oh man, I looooooove Kids in the Hall.