SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

I watched Cop Land on Saturday - it was actually pretty good.  Stallone's best movies are when he is playing an amiable doofus, and there's an all star lineup of actors to support him. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Band Legend said:

I watched Cop Land on Saturday - it was actually pretty good.  Stallone's best movies are when he is playing an amiable doofus, and there's an all star lineup of actors to support him. 

never had use of such an accurate instrument that could detect differencel of his art from top to bottom..

9 hours ago, rgbilliken said:

Steve will leave my account in existence; I just won’t be able to/don’t want to be able to access it. I may be back some day when this is long in the rear view mirror. To explain why I am leaving: I just don’t get any joy in posting somewhere where I’m called unintelligent, nitwit, and a piece of sh!t over an academic quibble. I know myself and know I can’t stop myself from responding to the trolls if they continue to harass me. It’s better for me if I take that option away from myself. I love you all, even those of you who hate me. 

while i dont agree with most of your politics, i believe in your right to say them.   by you leaving you are declaring you lost.   i have been slammed and insulted for years here at billikens.com   even took a leave for a year or two myself.   ironically it was mb73 who pm'd me and talked me into coming back.   now i keep trudging along and i wont ever leave billikens.com again.   i dont post near as much as i used to, selectively deciding what i want to opine on, but i'm never leaving.  the billikens.com community is no different than any other community.  the diversity is what makes it interesting and it doesnt matter if it is here or where you work or where you go to pray.   that diversity is pretty common.   granted the fact so many posters here are in disguise hiding behind their moniker gives them "courage" to say what they want and no doubt sometimes emotions get in the way of civility, but those are the people i laugh at and then i try to not let it affect my thoughts and comments when responding.  

i admit i am one of the instigators on this thread pushing politics when i shouldnt have.   i have no excuse beyond i was triggered by one of my passions when those chose to attack one of my passions, conservatism.   i hate government being involved in much of anything and this whole virus thing is loaded with politics whether any of us like it or not.   i should have stayed away, but like i said, conservatives were attacked and i felt the call to respond.   not a valid excuse but my excuse nevertheless.   for that i apologize if there was anything i said towards you that upset you.  

you are a very good billiken fan and you leaving would hurt our community and the quality of our debates and discussions.   i hope you reconsider but if not, i do understand and wish you well.  thanks for being a part of billikens.com.   you will be missed.  and again i am sorry for what i might have said that contributed to your decision.

Roy Mueller aka billiken roy

15 hours ago, dlarry said:

How about an All-star 80’s movie montage collection?

Bloodsport

Rocky 1-4

Karate Kid

Real Genius

Over the Top

Teen Wolf

Weird Science 

Some of my 80's fav's not already mentioned 

Arthur ( imo still the funniest movie of all time ) 

All 3 Raiders 

Valley Girls

Vision Quest 

All JCVD (the above mentioned Bloodsport the best of the bunch)

Excaliber

14 hours ago, rgbilliken said:

Steve will leave my account in existence; I just won’t be able to/don’t want to be able to access it. I may be back some day when this is long in the rear view mirror. To explain why I am leaving: I just don’t get any joy in posting somewhere where I’m called unintelligent, nitwit, and a piece of sh!t over an academic quibble. I know myself and know I can’t stop myself from responding to the trolls if they continue to harass me. It’s better for me if I take that option away from myself. I love you all, even those of you who hate me. 

This is why this thread should've been deleted 65 pages ago.  It's existence is a blight on Billikens.com.  We used to have a whole separate "offseason board"  that ended up just like this thread.  Eventually it was removed because it infected the rest of this site......

slufanskip likes this

movies huh?

best ever - hands down Blazing Saddles.    

also runs, young frankenstein, airplane, animal house. forrest gump

when channel surfing run across this and always stop and watch the rest of it - shawshank redemtion, the sting, saving private ryan, raiders of the lost ark, african queen, most any john wayne movie.  

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

movies huh?

when channel surfing run across this and always stop and watch the rest of it - shawshank redemtion, the sting, saving private ryan, raiders of the lost ark, african queen, most any john wayne movie.  

very good list, you can add the THE JERK, most bogart movies The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca

billiken_roy likes this

Check this out and think about what you see.

https://www.ginkgobioworks.com/

This company has no level 4 containment facility and are mucking around with genomes and modifying them at will. They create new or modified living organisms by patching artificially created genomes with the intent to get the new organisms to do certain things. Their products are made to perform to spec provided by customers. If I may say, once something like one of these things is out in the open it is  out in the open and loose. Please click on the heading "Read more about our efforts to support the Coronavirus 19 response." Is this going to lead to the "Law of good intentions paving the way to  hell" put into practice at a biological level? This is coming from a PRIVATE company without a high containment level facility who is messing around with the coronavirus genome? They intend to help, but what happens if they wind up doing the opposite?

How is this line of thinking different from the discussion by our board "experts" about what is right or wrong with this mess? Someone who is capable to modify and create living organisms from artificially created genomes playing around with the Covid virus? No level 4 containment facilities? Science fiction turned into reality? Who is financing this stuff?, they seem to have lots of funding available to do this work.

11 hours ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Coming to America

Scarface

Full Metal Jacket

Coming to America is one of those movies I turn on whenever it is on.

My wife’s reaction is always the same, “You’re watching this AGAIN!”

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

movies huh?

We have a few of the same. Raiders is my favorite movie of all time. Love the Sting and African Queen is imo the best Bogart Movie. It's almost an entire movie that keeps you captivated the entire time with just the dialogue between 2 people. 

27 minutes ago, dlarry said:

We are talking movies here so I fixed it for you.

Now that we're talking John Candy, have you ever notice how great his character names are?

Stripes: Dewey Oxberger

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: Del Griffith

The Great Outdoors: Chester "Chet" Ripley

Home Alone: Gus Polinksi (Polka King of the Midwest)

Cool Runnings: Irv Blitzer

Personal Candy story: when he was in town filming PT&A, I had the opportunity to meet him in the Blues locker room after the game. Being Canadian, he was obviously a huge hockey fan. I think I was 5 at the time. Only thing I asked him was if his kid in Summer Rental held a real lobster over him while he was sleeping and if it really scared him.

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

very good list, you can add the THE JERK, most bogart movies The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca

As stated above African Queen is my favorite Bogart movie but Casablanca is next. Saw it on the big screen at B&B theater in Wildwood a few years ago. The number of quotes from Casablanca is amazing

4 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Now that we're talking John Candy, have you ever notice how great his character names are?

Stripes: Dewey Oxberger

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: Del Griffith

The Great Outdoors: Chester "Chet" Ripley

Home Alone: Gus Polinksi (Polka King of the Midwest)

Cool Runnings: Irv Blitzer

Personal Candy story: when he was in town filming PT&A, I had the opportunity to meet him in the Blues locker room after the game. Being Canadian, he was obviously a huge hockey fan. I think I was 5 at the time. Only thing I asked him was if his kid in Summer Rental held a real lobster over him while he was sleeping and if it really scared him.

That’s awesome.

For names you also have
Harry Crumb: Who’s Harry Crumb

Spike Nolan: Brewster’s Millions 

Barf: Spaceballs

Candy was great. 

48 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

We have a few of the same. Raiders is my favorite movie of all time. Love the Sting and African Queen is imo the best Bogart Movie. It's almost an entire movie that keeps you captivated the entire time with just the dialogue between 2 people. 

I'll take Caine Mutiny as my fave Bogart flick. I downloaded a Friar roast of Bogey a few years back.

billiken_roy likes this