SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wolfing down on TMC film noir series and anything else on that ch that has 2 stars or more that I haven't seen yet. Taping one this evening has Groucho and Sinatra in it. Bet there was some good locker room talk during the filming.

here's link to a New Yorker list of movies to watch on Netflix.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-front-row/what-to-stream-forty-of-the-best-movies-on-netflix-right-now#intcid=recommendations_default-popular_2cce1469-fabc-481c-ac99-18109f24cb8a_popular4-1

Just now, almaman said:

I've been wolfing down on TMC film noir series and anything else on that ch that has 2 stars or more that I haven't seen yet. Taping one this evening has Groucho and Sinatra in it. Bet there was some good locker room talk during the filming.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-front-row/what-to-stream-forty-of-the-best-movies-on-netflix-right-now#intcid=recommendations_default-popular_2cce1469-fabc-481c-ac99-18109f24cb8a_popular4-1

TCM film noir series sounds awesome!  I'm going to have to check that out, thanks.

38 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Oh come on, D Dub! I love BBF. I love all of my Billiken bros and gals.

Anyone have a good movie suggestion? I feel like the quality of movies the past year or so (particularly comedies) has been lacking.

Watched Parasite over the weekend. If you’re comfortable with sub-titles, it’s worth a watch.

11 minutes ago, almaman said:

Thanks. I wrote down about 10. 

40 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Oh come on, D Dub! I love BBF. I love all of my Billiken bros and gals.

Anyone have a good movie suggestion? I feel like the quality of movies the past year or so (particularly comedies) has been lacking.

If you're looking for a sports movie, I would recommend Everybody Wants Some, which is a 2016 comedy about a fictional college baseball team (spiritual sequel to Dazed and Confused, and also the same director).

Of the movies that came out in the past year, my favorite was probably Uncut Gems. I also thought Little Women, Portrait of a Lady on Fire and Parasite were really good. I had a blast watching Ford v. Ferrari and was pleasantly surprised by the new Ben Affleck basketball movie, The Way Back.

If you're looking to really embrace the current pandemic vibe, I would second the previously suggested Contagion, and also throw in World War Z as another thriller of similar ilk. 

There is a Vince Carter documentary on Netflix that is pretty enjoyable, and then also the new college basketball documentary The Scheme was worth watching. I also enjoyed the Kareem doc on HBO.

7 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Watched Parasite over the weekend. If you’re comfortable with sub-titles, it’s worth a watch.

If you like Parasite and have not seen any of Bong Joon Ho's other movies, I would definitely recommend Snowpiercer, Mother and The Host. I haven't seen Okja or Memories of Murder, but am have heard they are both good as well.

If you're comfortable with subtitles, I would also recommend Train to Busan, which is a korean zombie movie I just watched the other night. Exhilarating film. 

32 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I've been struggling with that too. I actually saw a few movies this winter at the theater which I seldom do prior to all of this that I thought were solid, Uncut Gems being one (I've heard that isn't the common opinion of it) and Knives Out. Then when I was trying to watch the best picture nominees I really liked Parasite and Jojo Rabbit. But my quarantine picks have been terrible. I watched The Irishman this weekend and definitely enjoyed that one. As far as comedies, I have tried a handful over the past few weeks with very little success (beyond some of the comedy drama type movies mentioned which aren't true comedies, but fit the bill to some extent).*

*I just wanted to post in this thread

27 minutes ago, NH said:

If you like Parasite and have not seen any of Bong Joon Ho's other movies, I would definitely recommend Snowpiercer, Mother and The Host. I haven't seen Okja or Memories of Murder, but am have heard they are both good as well.

If you're comfortable with subtitles, I would also recommend Train to Busan, which is a korean zombie movie I just watched the other night. Exhilarating film. 

I'll check those out. Have you watched Dark on Netflix? Highly, highly recommend. 

28 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I've been struggling with that too. I actually saw a few movies this winter at the theater which I seldom do prior to all of this that I thought were solid, Uncut Gems being one (I've heard that isn't the common opinion of it) and Knives Out. Then when I was trying to watch the best picture nominees I really liked Parasite and Jojo Rabbit. But my quarantine picks have been terrible. I watched The Irishman this weekend and definitely enjoyed that one. As far as comedies, I have tried a handful over the past few weeks with very little success (beyond some of the comedy drama type movies mentioned which aren't true comedies, but fit the bill to some extent).*

Jojo Rabbit was great. It deserves more credit. 

30 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

TCM film noir series sounds awesome!  I'm going to have to check that out, thanks.

Host is great. They repeat often compared to the rest of their stuff which many give a blank on more showtime listings. the host is great. most of their stuff on their app I think. great intros to the movies. One on this week very timely as we are in a strong man/populist leader era, Address Unknown .

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/address_unknown_1944.     Most of the films in the series are legit noir if you will, this was included because of it's co director and is what I guess we now have to label political not that people who despise fascism are now considered on same moral plane as those fun frat boys defending are freedom in Charlottesville.

http://noiralley.tcm.com/noir-101

33 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Watched it a few weeks back. Loved it.

27 minutes ago, NH said:

If you're looking for a sports movie, I would recommend Everybody Wants Some, which is a 2016 comedy about a fictional college baseball team (spiritual sequel to Dazed and Confused, and also the same director).

Of the movies that came out in the past year, my favorite was probably Uncut Gems. I also thought Little Women, Portrait of a Lady on Fire and Parasite were really good. I had a blast watching Ford v. Ferrari and was pleasantly surprised by the new Ben Affleck basketball movie, The Way Back.

If you're looking to really embrace the current pandemic vibe, I would second the previously suggested Contagion, and also throw in World War Z as another thriller of similar ilk. 

There is a Vince Carter documentary on Netflix that is pretty enjoyable, and then also the new college basketball documentary The Scheme was worth watching. I also enjoyed the Kareem doc on HBO.

Thanks for the recommendations. Uncut Gems was great. If you haven't seen it yet, check out the Safdie Brothers movie from a few years back called Good Time.

30 minutes ago, NH said:

I definitely need to watch Snowpiercer

31 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Knives out was fantastic. Good call on Jojo Rabbit. I keep forgetting to watch that.

1 minute ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I'll check those out. Have you watched Dark on Netflix? Highly, highly recommend. 

30 minutes ago, NH said:

Snowpiercer coming as a series I think. saw some trailer with sound off and may of been a parody. May 15 sticks in my foggy mind. Did not realize that same guy did Parasite which I have not seen.

Missed NH talking about the sports movie. it's great. imo best director out there is R Linklater. Weird how hard is it to watch is stuff. Besides days and confused most of the stuff not shown much. After watching Boyhood I made a point of watching all his flicks. had already seen Dazed and Confused which is set in 1976. that class was '77 departing junior year. I was 72 wife 77. unreal how dead on it was. Anyway he has a bunch of seldom seen great stuff. Highly recommend trilogy with Ethan Hawke. All 3 are great love stories about same couple each a few years apart. Then one that barely ever shown that is wonderful is about a kid getting a job on broadway with Orson Welles. all at county library if that ever opens again :)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/richard_linklater

Last post before Steve deactivates my account tomorrow AM. For those who don’t get alumni/donor emails, below is a link to SLU’s current “OneSLU” fundraising initiative. You can choose to give to any number of funds, including emergency relief for students struck by unexpected hardship because of COVID and COVID vaccine research. 

https://givingday.slu.edu/giving-day/28556

RUBillsFan likes this

11 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

Last post before Steve deactivates my account tomorrow AM. For those who don’t get alumni/donor emails, below is a link to SLU’s current “OneSLU” fundraising initiative. You can choose to give to any number of funds, including emergency relief for students struck by unexpected hardship because of COVID and COVID vaccine research. 

https://givingday.slu.edu/giving-day/28556

I still think deactivating is the wrong move. 
You shouldn’t feel the need to stop posting because Old Guy is a giant D-Bag.

3 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I still think deactivating is the wrong move. 
You shouldn’t feel the need to stop posting because Old Guy is a giant D-Bag.

Steve will leave my account in existence; I just won’t be able to/don’t want to be able to access it. I may be back some day when this is long in the rear view mirror. To explain why I am leaving: I just don’t get any joy in posting somewhere where I’m called unintelligent, nitwit, and a piece of sh!t over an academic quibble. I know myself and know I can’t stop myself from responding to the trolls if they continue to harass me. It’s better for me if I take that option away from myself. I love you all, even those of you who hate me. 

3 hours ago, dlarry said:

How about an All-star 80’s movie montage collection?

Bloodsport

Rocky 1-4

Karate Kid

Real Genius

Over the Top

Teen Wolf

Weird Science 

I watched Summer School last week and tried searching for Better off Dead but it was nowhere to be found. First time I've searched for a show or movie and I had zero options for watching it, either for free or via rental. 

3 hours ago, almaman said:

those were directed at USA not MBMs certainly not a particular. I've always big backer of the old pen mightier than the sword. can enjoy humor from the right, W Buckley used to make me chuckle, P J O'rourke always. Disagreed with them almost across the board but they were civil. 

things can't get much worse imo.

Too funny, it’s now been determined that nitwit is the worst possible word that can be used on this board, and silly me thought it was those 4 letter f words directed at me..... I will keep that in the back of my mind, and use it for the next time I hear someone call Jimmy Bell a heavy footed troll....

37 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Too funny, it’s now been determined that nitwit is the worst possible word that can be used on this board, and silly me thought it was those 4 letter f words directed at me..... I will keep that in the back of my mind, and use it for the next time I hear someone call Jimmy Bell a heavy footed troll....

Read the room doofus