SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

28 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

I am not going to engage deeply in this thread, but my encouragement to all posters is: Do not read or post in it.  There are many posters in this thread who are just trying to attract attention or get a rise out of others, and I suspect these posters will not take my advice.  For others, I recognize that it can be difficult to disengage if you have been offended or another poster is attacking you.  Just remember, many of the people in this thread are purposely looking to stir the pot.  But just be the bigger person and walk away from the thread.

As mentioned at the outset of this thread, the purpose of this thread is to keep a lot of the garbage discussion that has taken place in it out of the other threads, which so far has been largely accomplished.  I currently am not going to lock or delete the thread, as I suspect that this will just lead to a wider problem with the trolls in particular finding a new place to poke up their heads.  This will not be the first or last thread on Billikens.com that becomes a cess pool (e.g. see the Situation II) - but that regrettably is the nature of the internet.

Maybe another way to put it is: Don't give the thread oxygen (by posting in it) and let it die.

Ah......yeah.....because the internet is chock full of well mannered, well meaning people.......

At least the "situation" threads had something to do with Billiken Basketball.  This mess is the equivalent of the offseason board.  Not my place to decide but I'd kill it dead.

Thanks as always,

Rich

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will not be posting on this board anymore. Regardless of your political affiliation, the complete lack of open mindedness, of compassion, of empathy, in this thread is an absolute embarrassment, from both sides. Everyone is scared and frustrated...I get it. Unfortunately, everyone in this thread seems so dug in to their own political bull$h!t that they’re completely incapable of seeing anyone else’s point of view. Most of you seem to NEED to be told exactly what you want to hear, confirmation of your already long-standing, firmly-held beliefs, and nothing more. Anything else is worthy of nothing more than condescension, ridicule and/or personal attacks. It’s the EXACT SAME problem this country faces as a whole. NONE of this is making ANYTHING any better. It’s sad, it’s disappointing, it’s embarrassing. And if some of you are just trolling, intentionally trying to upset people, fellow Billikens fans, as Sign Guy suggests (and I have no doubt that he’s right), my question to you is “Why?” What’s the point? People aren’t scared enough right now? Scared for their lives? Scared for the lives of their loved ones? Scared for their job? And you have to make things that much worse because you enjoy “stirring the pot” on a college sports fan forum? Seriously? Look inward, and ask yourself what that type of behavior says about you as a person, especially at a time like this. I’m not asking anyone to come on here and publicly admit these mistakes (mostly because I know it would never actually happen), but at least be honest with yourself and say, “WOW, I’ve been acting like a total a$$hole, and I’m making a lot of people feel a lot worse for no real, justifiable reason. I’m not going to act that way anymore.” But everyone, on both sides of the aisle, who, whenever it comes to even marginally political issues, instinctively resort to the old school yard tactic of sticking your fingers in your ears and announcing, “I’M RIGHT! YOU’RE WRONG! NANANANANANA!” are all a part of the problem. You don’t care about what’s best for America or it’s citizens at large. You care about what’s best for you, individually. Nothing more. So getting any sort of condescending, holier-than-thou attitude towards any of it is ABSOLUTELY LAUGHABLE! People care about each other only as long as it’s convenient. As long as it benefits them personally, and this thread is perfect evidence of that. So I will still follow the board to catch all of Pistol’s and the The Wiz’s excellent work, among others. I will always be a Billikens fan. But I will no longer be posting here. I sincerely regret it having come to this point, but it has. All the best.

It's very easy to avoid mean-spirited people on a message board.  Put them in your ignore users filter.  Takes a lot less time than going back and forth with them and lowers your blood pressure. 

Anyplace you go on the web that is a completely open forum and not an echo chamber, there is a higher probability of conflict.  It's like that in the real world too.  Especially when you go beyond superficial topics. That's why there's a certain amount of self-segregation that goes on in our real world interactions.  To avoid conflict. Maybe a few thousand years of evolution will fix this bug but right now it is what it is.

4 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

It's also quite telling that not a single person in the Old Boys Club stood up for @rgbillikenwhen Old Guy continued to harass her and bully her. 

@SluSignGuyplease delete my account from this place. It's been a good run but true colors have come out. Politics above all for some.

I just don't read many of old guys long rants. 

3 hours ago, rgbilliken said:

This one made me laugh. Phony woman? Playing a "card" ?  At no point in this discussion have I made reference to the fact that I'm a woman. 

My picture is my real picture. My initials are my real initials. People have posted tweets from my real account on this board. I won't post my full name on here because I don't want this site to pop up when people search for me. But I'm probably one of the easiest people on this board to locate and determine is not "phony." I made a decision a long time ago not to hide behind anonymity on here because I felt that if I'm going to fire off on a message board I want to be able to back up everything I say. 

I realize that this is capitulating to many of you who for some inexplicable reason hate me. And many will say "good riddance." You win. I came to this board because I love the Billikens and I wanted to stay up-to-date on Bills news and a sense of community now that I no longer live in STL. With twitter, I no longer need this site for that. But I can read a room and tell I'm not wanted here. I'm out. ✌️

@SluSignGuy, please delete my account.

I certainly hope you don't go. I believe you are misreading the room due to a few posters. 

SLU_Lax likes this

3 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

FYI: Old Boys Club is a long-standing, self-created name for a group of longtime posters. It’s use is not derogatory.

And the Old Boys Club consists of members on both sides of this discussion. It's really just a group of long time posters who get together for lunch now and then. Though long past due. 

3 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

hey nitwit, i know you think you are smarter than everyone else on this board, but the comments about playing the woman card, were not made to you, but to RISE AND GRIND.... now find something else to be insulted about.......

then why the nitwit? do you know this person? What a dick u must be. Please no one leave the board because of a few jerks. Especially non men. Cool before that they could come here without fear of like BBF.

I have done my best to not look at this thread, but curiosity got the best of me and I checked it out today.  MODS, PLEASE SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN IMMEDIATELY.  I am not making any sort of comment about anyone's positions or politics.  My only reason for saying this is that this thread, which has nothing to do with Billiken athletics, has people at each others throats and is causing people to leave the board.  The point of this board is to bring together folks who have a common love for SLU athletics.  This thread is tearing at that simple concept.  There are plenty of other sources for the MBMs to have an outlet to comment on COVID-19.  Don't let it continue on this board.

slufanskip likes this

Just now, cgeldmacher said:

I have done my best to not look at this thread, but curiosity got the best of me and I checked it out today.  MODS, PLEASE SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN IMMEDIATELY.  I am not making any sort of comment about anyone's positions or politics.  My only reason for saying this is that this thread, which has nothing to do with Billiken athletics, has people at each others throats and is causing people to leave the board.  The point of this board is to bring together folks who have a common love for SLU athletics.  This thread is tearing at that simple concept.  There are plenty of other sources for the MBMs to have an outlet to comment on COVID-19.  Don't let it continue on this board.

I agree with this and I have posted which I now wish I hadn't done. I don't think I have a post attacking or name calling anyone but I still wish I would have just stayed away. The arguments and opinions formed from this thread will filter over to basketball threads and posters will hold grudges. It happened in the old off season board and this thread is just as bad. I understand Steve's point and he's probably right it'll carry over to other threads. 

So Please can we stop the personal attacks and name calling? Respect that people have opinions other than yours and your view of the world and what is right isn't the only one and not necessarily right or wrong just not the only view. 

How about this.  Everyone consider this thread a social gathering involving a lot of close contact, and JUST STAY AWAY.   That's the best way to end this ridiculousness.  If folks won't do that, then the mods should issue a stay at home/away from this thread order and shut it down.

20 minutes ago, almaman said:

then why the nitwit? do you know this person? What a dick u must be. Please no one leave the board because of a few jerks. Especially non men. Cool before that they could come here without fear of like BBF.

Ever look in the mirror?  Should we review some of the vile filthy things you have said to me? Everyone stop posting on this thread is all it takes to end this. Comments like you just made pours fuel on the fire.

28 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Ever look in the mirror?  Should we review some of the vile filthy things you have said to me? Everyone stop posting on this thread is all it takes to end this. Comments like you just made pours fuel on the fire.

please send all my hate PM will review and apologize if I find it credible.  I can be sure I never called a nice poster who seems to be of the once termed fairer sex or the more common male a nitwit.

No need to shut it down.

I see 3 maybe 4 people acting like complete jackasses. Other than that it’s been fine.

The way I see I now know the true colors of those 3 or 4 people. If you look at it that way this thread has been pretty informative.

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I agree with this and I have posted which I now wish I hadn't done. I don't think I have a post attacking or name calling anyone but I still wish I would have just stayed away. The arguments and opinions formed from this thread will filter over to basketball threads and posters will hold grudges. It happened in the old off season board and this thread is just as bad. I understand Steve's point and he's probably right it'll carry over to other threads. 

So Please can we stop the personal attacks and name calling? Respect that people have opinions other than yours and your view of the world and what is right isn't the only one and not necessarily right or wrong just not the only view. 

Skip i am sorry for getting triggered and calling you Skid yesterday. In my defense, my 9 year old self would’ve thought it was funny

slufanskip likes this

On 4/2/2020 at 6:48 PM, almaman said:

His minions have taken over the government. None of these acting and real cabinet folks have zero credibility now. All that the looney tea party/contract with America/37% deplorables have caused what they claimed to come true. Those 2 doctors are afraid to say what they really to say with that ignoramus stalking the stage. guarantee they will be trashing everything about the man once they are safe from his vindictive power. 

You're offended by nitwit yet you throw out characterizations such as minions,  looney tea party, deplorables, and ignoramus. You also have said STFU?  Proud of all those statements? You yourself said you had to take timeout from the board because you were getting too worked up...remember saying that? It is human nature to lash out when attacked by inflammatory words....a lot of us have probably wished we would have made better choices in our comments. I am not excluding myself.  My point was your previous post was only serving to make matters worse...name calling never works.

9 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

out of reactions, uncalled for post troll

Oh come on, D Dub! I love BBF. I love all of my Billiken bros and gals.

Anyone have a good movie suggestion? I feel like the quality of movies the past year or so (particularly comedies) has been lacking.

2 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Oh come on, D Dub! I love BBF. I love all of my Billiken bros and gals.

Anyone have a good movie suggestion? I feel like the quality of movies the past year or so (particularly comedies) has been lacking.

i haveno sense of humor today, if it was a joke i can take it , and i apologize for not grinning and likely BBF can take a joke  too

43 minutes ago, HenryB said:

You're offended by nitwit yet you throw out characterizations such as minions,  looney tea party, deplorables, and ignoramus. You also have said STFU?  Proud of all those statements? You yourself said you had to take timeout from the board because you were getting too worked up...remember saying that? It is human nature to lash out when attacked by inflammatory words....a lot of us have probably wished we would have made better choices in our comments. I am not excluding myself.  My point was your previous post was only serving to make matters worse...name calling never works.

those were directed at USA not MBMs certainly not a particular. I've always big backer of the old pen mightier than the sword. can enjoy humor from the right, W Buckley used to make me chuckle, P J O'rourke always. Disagreed with them almost across the board but they were civil. 

things can't get much worse imo.