SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

1 minute ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

No, it sounds like a biased, politically motivated hit piece. Trump never said anything was a miracle cure, so that’s a flat out lie. The drug HAS BEEN PROVEN SAFE EXCEPT IN SOME INSTANCES OF LONG TERM USAGE, WHICH IS NOT THE CASE HERE!  it’s stunning the lengths some will go to harm our President and our country. Meanwhile, new cases dropped by nearly 9,000 today. Sadly, some will not take this as encouraging news...

I’ve tried to ignore you but you keep commenting and acting like a presidential lap dog.  

willie likes this

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Dr. Megan L. Ranney, an emergency physician at Brown University in Rhode Island, said in an interview on Sunday night that she had never seen an elected official advertise a “miracle cure” the way Mr. Trump has done. But she took pause.

“There are side effects to hydroxychloroquine,” Dr. Ranney said. “It causes psychiatric symptoms, cardiac problems and a host of other bad side effects.”

Dr. Ranney said hydroxychloroquine could be effective for some patients, but there wasn’t nearly enough scientific evidence to support Mr. Trump’s claims.

wow sounds pretty similar to what RG said. 

My wife has actually taken hydroxychloriquine for arthritis.  The side effects were so bad that she quit taking it after a week.   Made her feel much worse than her arthritis did.

RiseAndGrind likes this

2 hours ago, rgbilliken said:

Old man, keep my name out of your pathetic mouth. I have not, and will never, claim to have a scintilla of medical knowledge. I am not an MD. i did not attend medical school. I cannot diagnose or treat a patient. I never claimed any of those things. you can continue to bloviate for 8000 words per post all you want but leave me out of it and don’t outright lie about what I’ve said. 

There are many things I don’t know, and I admit that. One thing I do know is how research is typically conducted. the specific study you posted earlier in this thread was poorly designed and lacked statistical power. That is the only thing I have argued with you about. If the 6000 number you posted above is true that’s great. I am glad it is working. That is completely separate and apart from the small French study you cited earlier. 

I made an exception to read your post above after placing you in the ignore list.

You finally admit that you are not capable of producing anything close to a medically valid argument. You admit that you do not have a scintilla of medical knowledge. You may know molecules, reactions, and number crunching of testing results. So, you should keep your opinions where they belong, in the trash file given the fact that you have no idea of how to evaluate different kinds of medical publications. The small French study you do not have the knowledge or the intelligence to evaluate properly, with all the faults it may have, probably served to save hundreds if not thousands of lives, by giving a go ahead to the thousands of ID MDs who are using this mode of therapy to control the epidemic. This was exactly what its authors desired, to let as many ID MDs this was a life saving therapy that should be tried. Your slavery to number crunching and statistical perfection has NO PART in this discussion, it never had any part in it. I am glad you agree you are a total nothing in this regard with totally invalid opinions in medical matters.

As far as the Covid ballad that you published in this thread, it is a totally disgraceful display, in full view of everybody, of an educated adult who should know better than to joyfully celebrate, albeit indirectly, in a public forum the current world wide disaster. The amount of human suffering you indirectly celebrate joyfully with your little ballad is unmeasurable. If nothing else, coming out in a public forum with this little indirect joyful celebration of the epidemic denotes, at the very least, extremely poor judgement. This little ballad, your indirect celebration of death and human suffering, goes completely beyond the pale and reveals you for what you are, a total mediocrity with a high sense of entitlement. The most unbelievable thing about it is that you probably posted it believing, I assume, that it was clever and cute. The Covid ballad has nothing to do with your level of ignorance, it has everything to with revealing what a colossal piece of ____ you are. 

One last thing I want to mention to you personally. That grandmother at the Cleveland Clinic who locked herself voluntarily with her 3 year old grandson in a Covid isolation room, fully knowing she is at high risk of dying from it and choosing to stare directly at the face of death, reveals a LADY the likes of which you are not and will never be. In the face of this and many other acts of mostly unknown heroism (which you probably think are acts of stupidity) and the immense human pain and suffering caused by this epidemic, you little ballad is an atrocious and uncalled for insult upon the thousands of victims and relatives of the victims of this disease.

AGB91 likes this

17 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I made an exception to read your post above after placing you in the ignore list.

You finally admit that you are not capable of producing anything close to a medically valid argument. You admit that you do not have a scintilla of medical knowledge. You may know molecules, reactions, and number crunching of testing results. So, you should keep your opinions where they belong, in the trash file given the fact that you have no idea of how to evaluate different kinds of medical publications. The small French study you do not have the knowledge or the intelligence to evaluate properly, with all the faults it may have, probably served to save hundreds if not thousands of lives, by giving a go ahead to the thousands of ID MDs who are using this mode of therapy to control the epidemic. This was exactly what its authors desired, to let as many ID MDs this was a life saving therapy that should be tried. Your slavery to number crunching and statistical perfection has NO PART in this discussion, it never had any part in it. I am glad you agree you are a total nothing in this regard with totally invalid opinions in medical matters.

As far as the Covid ballad that you published in this thread, it is a totally disgraceful display, in full view of everybody, of an educated adult who should know better than to joyfully celebrate, albeit indirectly, in a public forum the current world wide disaster. The amount of human suffering you indirectly celebrate joyfully with your little ballad is unmeasurable. If nothing else, coming out in a public forum with this little indirect joyful celebration of the epidemic denotes, at the very least, extremely poor judgement. This little ballad, your indirect celebration of death and human suffering, goes completely beyond the pale and reveals you for what you are, a total mediocrity with a high sense of entitlement. The most unbelievable thing about it is that you probably posted it believing, I assume, that it was clever and cute. The Covid ballad has nothing to do with your level of ignorance, it has everything to with revealing what a colossal piece of ____ you are. 

One last thing I want to mention to you personally. That grandmother at the Cleveland Clinic who locked herself voluntarily with her 3 year old grandson in a Covid isolation room, fully knowing she is at high risk of dying from it and choosing to stare directly at the face of death, reveals a LADY the likes of which you are not and will never be. In the face of this and many other acts of mostly unknown heroism (which you probably think are acts of stupidity) and the immense human pain and suffering caused by this epidemic, you little ballad is an atrocious and uncalled for insult upon the thousands of victims and relatives of the victims of this disease.

Yikes. You know nothing about me, my character, or what my job entails. 

RiseAndGrind likes this

14 minutes ago, Old guy said:

You’re a psychotic old guy grandpa 

2 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Old Guy is so important he's (anonymously and) obsessively putting down a bunch of PLEBS on a college basketball message board. 

He is right though; I’m a colossal piece of sh!t for getting “come on, Eileen” stuck in everyone’s heads. It really is unforgivable. 

RiseAndGrind likes this

24 minutes ago, Old guy said:

@SluSignGuyI mean seriously? 

7 hours ago, Old guy said:

still hold on to my prediction of less than 26,000 Covid deaths for this epidemic in the US. 

I very much hope you are right.  Especially since that would mean a rather dramatic improvement to the situation this week as the US is currently on track to pass that number of deaths sometime around Easter Sunday.

1 hour ago, ARon said:

I very much hope you are right.  Especially since that would mean a rather dramatic improvement to the situation this week as the US is currently on track to pass that number of deaths sometime around Easter Sunday.

Models are not reality, and my prediction may well be wrong. We will see, won't we?

8 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I’ve tried to ignore you but you keep commenting and acting like a presidential lap dog.  

Telling that you don’t want to discuss the Facts that I presented. Why is that, too embarrassed??? You would think people would be happy about a 9,000 drop in new cases, not the liberal losers.. people like you prove my point...

41 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Telling that you don’t want to discuss the Facts that I presented. Why is that, too embarrassed??? You would think people would be happy about a 9,000 drop in new cases, not the liberal losers.. people like you prove my point...

Of course it is encouraging and I am happy about it.  It proves that many governors, like Cuomo, Pritzker, Inslee & Newsom, and mayors, like Lyda Krewson, did the right thing by enacting stay at home orders early on.  Don't you agree?

1 minute ago, Billfan7 said:

Of course it is encouraging and I am happy about it.  It proves that many governors, like Cuomo, Pritzker, Inslee & Newsom, and mayors, like Lyda Krewson, did the right thing by enacting stay at home orders early on.  Don't you agree?

yes, and so did President Trump when he instituted the travel ban to China( in spite of the howls of protest), and his pushing to try the drug Hydroxychloroquine....don't you agree???

AGB91 likes this

9 hours ago, Billfan7 said:

My wife has actually taken hydroxychloriquine for arthritis.  The side effects were so bad that she quit taking it after a week.   Made her feel much worse than her arthritis did.

can you name one drug that doesn't have adverse effects in some???? should those be banned too??? if so, get rid of your aspirin....by the way hydroxychloroquine has been in use since 1955, it certainly isn't a new or experimental drug......sorry about your wife's arthritis however......

On 3/27/2020 at 6:00 PM, Sheltiedave said:

Dr Kelsey, is your doctorate a PhD or an MD? Asking respectfully, as many MDs would not advance that observation this early in the epidemic.

As I have previously mention in the past my name is D.  R.(middle initial) Kelsey.

I merrly have a personal oppinion about this topic.  No degrees just livetime experiences. Never had a flu shot. Had the flu in 1966, lost 38 lbs in 3 days and ran a 105 degree temp. No flu since then. My sister in law is a nurse and you 2 would get along well on this topic.

This keepspopping up. I guess I never finished it. Gives the change to let you know that oldguy is going to the ignored list today. 04-06-2020.

RiseAndGrind likes this

16 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

can you name one drug that doesn't have adverse effects in some???? should those be banned too??? if so, get rid of your aspirin....by the way hydroxychloroquine has been in use since 1955, it certainly isn't a new or experimental drug......sorry about your wife's arthritis however......

Wow you are sensitive.  My post did not mention anything about banning the drug or state that it is a new or experimental drug.  My post was just an anecdote that related to the post it was linked to which mentioned that the drug has pretty bad side effects.  I was making no judgments just sharing experience.  I would take the drug in a heartbeat if I had Covid-19 and my doctor prescribed it.

RiseAndGrind likes this

Just now, Billfan7 said:

Wow you are sensitive.  My post did not mention anything about banning the drug or state that it is a new or experimental drug.  My post was just an anecdote that related to the post it was linked to which mentioned that the drug has pretty bad side effects.  I was making no judgments just sharing experience.  I would take the drug in a heartbeat if I had Covid-19 and my doctor prescribed it.

well then what was your point???? wouldn't the more relevant point, been to say that you would use the drug??? the initial thread was to disparage its use....

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Let me make my point more clear: *** you for insinuating I want people to die. 

Some really good news for the country and really good news for Missouri.Dramatic change in the projected death totals in the IHME model.  Down around 12,000 for the country to 81,766. Missouri projected death down over 900 to  352 with a peak on April 13.

What we have have done is having an impact at least according to the models and could mean a much sooner return to normal.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

37 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

well then what was your point???? wouldn't the more relevant point, been to say that you would use the drug??? the initial thread was to disparage its use....

I don't think it was.  You just seem to see everything as an all or nothing fight instead of as a discussion.  The post I responded to initially quoted a doctor who said the drug has bad side effects and needed to be studied more before being touted as a cure by our President.  I agree with this and chimed into share an anecdote about its side effects.  However, if my doctor prescribed me the drug, I hope he would only do so because the FDA studied it and approved it's use for Covid-19 as called for by the doctor quoted in the article.   

AGB91 and rgbilliken like this