SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

11 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Lololol...yep, you're a real genius

Must have been difficult for you to admit but thank you for the compliment. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Exactly right Roy. Over 10 million out of a job and climbing. Some on this board have no realization that poverty kills much more than the  Chinese virus ever will.

The 2017 U.S. Census Bureau’s Official Poverty Measures reports that within the country, 40 million people — more than one in every eight Americans — live in poverty. Almost half of them are categorized as indefinitely in “deep poverty,” living with less than $2 a day.

Put that together with the fact that in the U.S., about 2.6 million people die every year — and most of those deaths are associated with poverty.

Medicare for ALL!!!!!

BilliesBy40 likes this

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

You all make sure to stop arguing about the politics of this long enough to let the people you love know you love them.  That is far more important than any of this other bull Shiite right now.

This really is the truth. @HenryBand I hugged it out and agreed to only talk Billiken basketball from now on. 

12 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Must have been difficult for you to admit but thank you for the compliment. 

you are almost more unlikeable in this thread as you are every game thread when you manage to tell us somehow how terrible jordan goodwin is.  

10 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Listened to the NPR report yesterday on the use of ventilators to treat covid-19. From the healthcare staff interviewed, the disease so inflames and ravages the lungs that way north of 50% of patients don’t survive.

Just the insertion of the tube usually causes lung damage. It’s a brutal, ugly illness that in NO way resembles the flu, so you clowns who made this comparison citing your flu statistics, can  return to wearing your red noses and floppy shoes.

Unfortunately, when the lungs are filled with fluid, significant positive pressure ventilation is required to keep the alveoli from collapsing on themselves. This inevitably results in a significant amount of barotrauma, especially in older patients whose lungs are more frail. Its a cost/reward thing, but with nasty viral infections like Covid-19, people will require ventilation or they will perish.  A large number will experience irreversible lung damage in the process, but what other choice do providers have at this point?

A lot of difficult decisions will need to be made about who gets a ventilator, and who stands the best chance of surviving the grind that PPV puts the lungs through... 

Old guy likes this

2 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Hey, some good news, it may only take 5 months to get your stimulus check.  The Trump Administration is truly the Tiger King of governance.  Just when you think it can't get worse...

It would have been so much better to universalize the payments to every citizen (a true UBI), rather than to means test. It would have been faster and way more efficient, and you can always tax money back from high income earners later on if that is a big concern.

Unfortunately this was a colossal failure on both sides of the aisle. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/03/25/direct-cash-payments-senate-bill/

2 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Hey, some good news, it may only take 5 months to get your stimulus check.  The Trump Administration is truly the Tiger King of governance.  Just when you think it can't get worse...

Good news! The 5months rumor has been debunked. Listening to the briefing and plan is in place to deal with those not having direct deposit. There will be a website to assist those individuals. No one should have a long delay receiving their check.

1 hour ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Unfortunately, when the lungs are filled with fluid, significant positive pressure ventilation is required to keep the alveoli from collapsing on themselves. This inevitably results in a significant amount of barotrauma, especially in older patients whose lungs are more frail. Its a cost/reward thing, but with nasty viral infections like Covid-19, people will require ventilation or they will perish.  Many will experience irreversible lung damage, but what other choice do providers have at this point?

A lot of difficult decisions will need to be made about who gets a ventilator, and who stands the best chance of surviving the grind that PPV puts the lungs through... 

Impressive, anyway you never said what kind of an MD you are going to be. We know you are not shy, so what is it?

50 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Good news! The 5months rumor has been debunked. Listening to the briefing and plan is in place to deal with those not having direct deposit. There will be a website to assist those individuals. No one should have a long delay receiving their check.

The NBC national news just said it would take several months to get checks out. 

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Exactly right Roy. Over 10 million out of a job and climbing. Some on this board have no realization that poverty kills much more than the  Chinese virus ever will.

The 2017 U.S. Census Bureau’s Official Poverty Measures reports that within the country, 40 million people — more than one in every eight Americans — live in poverty. Almost half of them are categorized as indefinitely in “deep poverty,” living with less than $2 a day.

Put that together with the fact that in the U.S., about 2.6 million people die every year — and most of those deaths are associated with poverty.

Am I misunderstanding or are you saying the 2017 census claims there are 40 mil people living on $730 per year?  

7 minutes ago, willie said:

The NBC national news just said it would take several months to get checks out. 

That's why people complain about fake news.  I have been sitting in front of my tv watching the briefing. The secretary categorically stated that that rumor was false. He said most people will receive their checks within 2 weeks...everyone else would receive theirs shortly thereafter. A special website has been set up for those not having direct deposit.  They do not want to use the mail. NBC knows that because they have someone at the briefing. Makes you wonder why they refuse to share the same info I just heard.  Could it be their only interest would be trying to make the president look bad? Garbage like that is why faith in the media is at an all time low.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

you are almost more unlikeable in this thread as you are every game thread when you manage to tell us somehow how terrible jordan goodwin is.  

You think I care about that? I love the Bills and call it as I see it. That offends you. As Irwin M. Fletcher would say, “Tough sh—, Hopalong.”

8 minutes ago, HenryB said:

That's why people complain about fake news.  I have been sitting in front of my tv watching the briefing. The secretary categorically stated that that rumor was false. He said most people will receive their checks within 2 weeks...everyone else would receive theirs shortly thereafter. A special website has been set up for those not having direct deposit.  They do not want to use the mail. NBC knows that because they have someone at the briefing. Makes you wonder why they refuse to share the same info I just heard.  Could it be their only interest would be trying to make the president look bad? Garbage like that is why faith in the media is at an all time low.

This was not fake news. Not MSNBC. It will take months to physically print and mail all these checks. The treasury secretary is the one spinning a situation they can’t cure. 

9 minutes ago, willie said:

This was not fake news. Not MSNBC. It will take months to physically print and mail all these checks. The treasury secretary is the one spinning a situation they can’t cure. 

Willie....read the transcript for yourself.  Here is the link.  You will have to scroll down about half way.  Either it is fake news or the secretary is lying.  The secretary agrees about printing checks.  THAT IS WHY THEY ARE NOT GOING TO BE PRINTING CHECKS.  That was fake news.  They want everyone to receive checks electronically.  Always dangerous to take as gospel information that comes from someone who has an agenda.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/02/823922635/watch-coronavirus-task-force-to-hold-briefing-amid-record-unemployment-numbers

8 minutes ago, willie said:

As I'm sure everyone knows, there has never been any inaccurate information disseminated at a Corona virus briefing-100 % truth, all the time.

7 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Willie....read the transcript for yourself.  Here is the link.  You will have to scroll down about half way.  Either it is fake news are the secretary is lying.  The secretary agrees about printing checks.  THAT IS WHY THEY ARE NOT GOING TO BE PRINTING CHECKS.  That was fake news.  They want everyone to receive checks electronically.  Always dangerous to take as gospel information that comes from someone who has an agenda.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/02/823922635/watch-coronavirus-task-force-to-hold-briefing-amid-record-unemployment-numbers

What about people without bank accounts?

Just now, Band Legend said:

What about people without bank accounts?

He discussed that in the briefing. There is a special website to assist those people.  They want to do everything possible to get the money in people's hands quickly.

6 minutes ago, willie said:

It takes six weeks or less to process a tax return, print the check and mail the check. Why would you believe this is going to take three times as long?

22 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Am I misunderstanding or are you saying the 2017 census claims there are 40 mil people living on $730 per year?  

The Census' 2018 Poverty Report (link here) lists 38.1 million Americans in poverty, so I'm guessing that was the same figure referenced in the original post. The Poverty threshold varies by family size and age. For a single person under age 65, the poverty threshold is an annual income of $13,064. For a family of four, the poverty threshold is $25,900. These thresholds are adjusted annually for changes in inflation. There is no geographic adjustment for poverty thresholds. 

Of the 38.1 million Americans in poverty (per the above definition), 17.3 million report total family income of less than or equal to half their poverty threshold. 

4 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Willie....read the transcript for yourself.  Here is the link.  You will have to scroll down about half way.  Either it is fake news are the secretary is lying.  The secretary agrees about printing checks.  THAT IS WHY THEY ARE NOT GOING TO BE PRINTING CHECKS.  That was fake news.  They want everyone to receive checks electronically.  Always dangerous to take as gospel information that comes from someone who has an agenda.

Just read it. Where does it say we guarantee checks are going out immediately. Mnunchin says he rejects reports. Sounds like fake spinning to me. Setting up a website for a lot of the population is not the answer. I am not being critical of the Trump administration’s ability to get this done but your calling it fake news.