SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

10 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Ummm, it says in that article that "paper" checks won't be distributed until after direct deposit. 

"After the direct deposit round is complete, the IRS will begin to send out paper checks around the beginning of May, according to the memo."

"The office that sends out the paper checks can process nearly 5 million checks per week. Meaning that it could take 20 weeks - almost 5 months - to get every check mailed."

Thanks for proving my point...how come you didn't cut and paste the part that said 60 million would receive checks by mid April?

The memo, obtained by NBC News, says that Americans who have their direct deposit information on file will receive their payments in mid-April, "likely" the week of April 13. The document estimates that about 60 million Americans will receive checks at that point.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

what is sad is that more americans are worried about this relatively small check rather than the state of the overall economy.    that is likely because most americans live pay check to pay check.   

very true

Just now, HenryB said:

Thanks for proving my point...how come you didn't cut and paste the part that said 60 million would receive checks by mid April?

Because it was obvious that they mean 60 million payments via direct deposit by mid-April.  

3 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Because it was obvious that they mean 60 million payments via direct deposit by mid-April.  

Why in the world is that reason to bash Trump?  I am sure the 60 million receiving their checks will be quite happy to receive them.  Frankly, that is amazing that that many are getting them that quickly.  Thanks again for reminding us of the evils of massive government that the left loves so much.

Talking about the government being in time. I delayed my social security money until age 70 when I started getting Medicare at age 65. I did this to maximize the monthly payments I got. I did this in person at a SS office, and I was assured I would get the  money starting the month of my 70th birthday.

That date came and went with no money. Several more months passed with no money. Finally I got a letter from SS telling me how sorry they were they had not paid in time, they said they owed me X amount of money and they would start payment in two more months, early fall. The initial payment would be a lump sum Y for all the money I was owed by the time they paid, and from that date on I would get paid on a certain date of each month Z amount of money.

Over the next few weeks I got  two other letters from SS saying the same thing but with each letter giving me different dates and amounts from all the dates and amounts in all the other letters. The differences in the dates and amounts were not major but it was amusing to see none of the amounts or the dates matched.

I got the lump amount earlier than any of the letters told me I would, so the lump amount was, correctly so, lower. The monthly payments started coming in a different day of the month than they had told me they would, and none of the amounts they told me in the letters were the same from what I was getting paid in a monthly basis. The differences were not large, some were a few dollars up, some were a few dollars down.

From that day on my SS money has been deposited into my bank account like clockwork.

I think that the government does its best with payments but the whole structure is so enormously large and complex that it takes time and the numbers received may not totally match what you expect.

54 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Hey, some good news, it may only take 5 months to get your stimulus check.  The Trump Administration is truly the Tiger King of governance.  Just when you think it can't get worse...

He wants same ratings!

34 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Talking about the government being in time. I delayed my social security money until age 70 when I started getting Medicare at age 65. I did this to maximize the monthly payments I got. I did this in person at a SS office, and I was assured I would get the  money starting the month of my 70th birthday.

That date came and went with no money. Several more months passed with no money. Finally I got a letter from SS telling me how sorry they were they had not paid in time, they said they owed me X amount of money and they would start payment in two more months, early fall. The initial payment would be a lump sum Y for all the money I was owed by the time they paid, and from that date on I would get paid on a certain date of each month Z amount of money.

Over the next few weeks I got  two other letters from SS saying the same thing but with each letter giving me different dates and amounts from all the dates and amounts in all the other letters. The differences in the dates and amounts were not major but it was amusing to see none of the amounts or the dates matched.

I got the lump amount earlier than any of the letters told me I would, so the lump amount was, correctly so, lower. The monthly payments started coming in a different day of the month than they had told me they would, and none of the amounts they told me in the letters were the same from what I was getting paid in a monthly basis. The differences were not large, some were a few dollars up, some were a few dollars down.

From that day on my SS money has been deposited into my bank account like clockwork.

I think that the government does its best with payments but the whole structure is so enormously large and complex that it takes time and the numbers received may not totally match what you expect.

there is absolutely nothing the government is good at administrating.  usually just a cluster.   examples, amtrak, the post office, tax time, you name it.   yet liberals want the government to control everything.   i just shake my head. 

7 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Is this the Red State that pushed Seth Rich murder conspiracy theories and published Rep Katie Hill nude photographs without her consent? This the same Red State that forced 3 senior writers to resign after they publicly noted that their stories critical of Trump were not being promoted by the website? This the same Red State that made jokes about a double amputee Senator saying she "doesn't have a leg to stand on"?

Yea, no one should be clicking on red state links either.  You can find this story on websites that aren't trash.

almaman likes this

Just now, almaman said:

Assume you take the interstate from your blue state to our red state for home games?

i would privatize the interstate system in a second.   everything interstate would be a toll road.   just take the trip around st louis on 270-255 and see how horrible the roads are.   or when a construction project takes a decade to complete (is the ryan expressway in chicago ever NOT being worked on? or how about our own popular street bridge?)  so not sure how convincing that point of order was alma.   

yes, thanks to the shear purse of the govt the interstates got created, but running them effectively, that is another story.  build them and then give them away. 

4 hours ago, HenryB said:

Billikenbill...do you think personal insults make it more likely that others are going to thoughtfully consider your arguments?  Insulting is usually a tactic used by those who can't win a debate on the merits.  It is disgusting and low class.  Your liberal bias is on full display.  You and many others continue to peddle the narrative that Fox News is deliberately downplaying the seriousness of the virus.  The evidence doesn't support your blanket accusations.  For example, as has been mentioned before, no one has been more on top of the danger of this virus than Tucker Carlson.  He began covering it in January when no other media person would touch it.  He works for Fox News.  I searched your posts and guess what?  No one time in January or February did you warn us of the dangers of the corona virus.  Not one time did you tell us to stay away from games.  Not one time did you tell us not to go to work or practice social distancing.  If your news sources were telling you of the dangers how came you didn't warn us?  Is it because you are mean, uncaring, or incompetent as you suggest the President is or was it because your news sources were spewing out propaganda that minimized it? I can provide you with countless examples of liberal media downplaying the seriousness of the virus....are you calling them propagandists or are you ignoring that inconvenient truth because it doesn't fit your Trump hating narrative?

I am going to share with you a clip of liberal media and politicians telling us not to be alarmed?  Do you still want to suggest that only Fox News is peddling propaganda? When you make blanket statements attacking others and their views without supporting evidence you are always going to look foolish.

https://www.redstate.com/brandon_morse/2020/04/01/since-dems-are-saying-trump-didnt-act-on-the-virus-soon-enough-heres-a-supercut-of-how-serious-they-were-taking-it-themselves/

I have no liberal bias. I have an intelligence bias and you have an ignorance bias. It’s just that simple.

23 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Is this the Red State that pushed Seth Rich murder conspiracy theories and published Rep Katie Hill nude photographs without her consent? This the same Red State that forced 3 senior writers to resign after they publicly noted that their stories critical of Trump were not being promoted by the website? This the same Red State that made jokes about a double amputee Senator saying she "doesn't have a leg to stand on"?

Yea, no one should be clicking on red state links either.  You can find this story on websites that aren't trash.

You know when you cherry pick articles from every right wing site Henry mentions you are actually proving his point. I'm sure he could do the same with the Huff Post, Buzzfeed, or even the NY times.

32 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

there is absolutely nothing the government is good at administrating.  usually just a cluster.   examples, amtrak, the post office, tax time, you name it.   yet liberals want the government to control everything.   i just shake my head. 

out of reactions, good post

2 minutes ago, slusam said:

You know when you cherry pick articles from every right wing site Henry mentions you are actually proving his point. I'm sure he could do the same with the Huff Post, Buzzfeed, or even the NY times.

I'm just passing on the facts that Red State and Federalist are trash websites. I'm not the one posting nude photos of congresswomen and publishing debunked conspiracy theories because that's what their readers have an appetite for.

31 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Lolololol...so pray tell what did you find offensive about a vaccine for covid19? Again you are making the case for those who accuse the left of being motivated by hate and politics.

5 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Lolololol...so pray tell what did you find offensive about a vaccine for covid19? Again you are making the case for those who accuse the left of being motivated by hate and politics.

I literally said you can find the same information on a non-trash website (see below - the cbs local article actually provides a lot more information than the RedState article anyways). You don't have to move the goal-posts every time you post. The content of that one article being fine doesn't undo the tons of crap they publish each year. 

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/04/02/university-of-pittsburgh-medical-school-coronavirus-potential-vaccine-unveiled/

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

what is sad is that more americans are worried about this relatively small check rather than the state of the overall economy.    that is likely because most americans live pay check to pay check.   

Exactly right Roy. Over 10 million out of a job and climbing. Some on this board have no realization that poverty kills much more than the  Chinese virus ever will.

The 2017 U.S. Census Bureau’s Official Poverty Measures reports that within the country, 40 million people — more than one in every eight Americans — live in poverty. Almost half of them are categorized as indefinitely in “deep poverty,” living with less than $2 a day.

Put that together with the fact that in the U.S., about 2.6 million people die every year — and most of those deaths are associated with poverty.

18 minutes ago, slusam said:

Maybe I've missed it, but I don't see people posting articles from Huff Post or Buzzfeed as though they are solid news sources.

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

You all make sure to stop arguing about the politics of this long enough to let the people you love know you love them.  That is far more important than any of this other bull Shiite right now.

Are you crazy Brian? Obviously it's more important to argue. 

brianstl likes this