SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

53 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

you are right.  i want to know why we never shut the country down for the flu?   you never told me.   

Clearly because we don't need such drastic measures.  We can control the flu with encouraging people to get the vaccine, telling people to stay home when they are sick and closing places if necessary.  I assumed you could figure that out from what I originally posted.  Now apparently Covid 19 takes more drastic measures.  

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Clearly because we don't need such drastic measures.  We can control the flu with encouraging people to get the vaccine, telling people to stay home when they are sick and closing places if necessary.  I assumed you could figure that out from what I originally posted.  Now apparently Covid 19 takes more drastic measures.  

We are controling it so well there are 50,000 plus deaths a year.   

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

So fauci's word is gospel?   All i know the death toll better pick up if we are to go from 2600 to 200,000 in the next 2 months.  

You may get your wish, as the model being used by the White House is predicting roughly 2,000 deaths per day in mid-April. 

3 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Haven't read all 500 pages of this thread so not sure if this has been posted yet. Missouri....not so good:

Millions Of Older Americans Live In Counties With No ICU Beds As ...

According to this, Missouri's health system should avoid being overwhelmed.  At the virus's peak in MO it predicts we will have an ICU bed surplus of 250 beds.  The bad news is we are still 41 days away from hitting the peak in Missouri.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

According to this, Missouri's health system should avoid being overwhelmed.  At the virus's peak in MO it predicts we will have an ICU bed surplus of 250 beds.  The bad news is we are still 41 days away from hitting the peak in Missouri.

Great news (I think?) if that prediction holds true. I was just shocked at the number of Missouri counties without an ICU bed or a hospital at all. Although I guess I really shouldn't be.  Looking at the predicted bed shortages in other states is pretty darn scary.

Sad news out of Ambrose Family Center in Webster (I know there are a few peoples on this forum that have also sent their kids there)....long time teacher Ms. Juanita passed away a few days ago due to complications from Covid-19. She was a great lady and always had a smile on her face.

24 minutes ago, brianstl said:

41 days would put us around May 10th?

So I’m guessing everything stays shutdown until then at the earliest?

I never thought I would experience anything like this. Crazy times.

Hope everyone stays healthy physically and mentally during these strange times.

BilliesBy40 likes this

25 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Since we're breaking rules with this thread, can we go back to posting pics of Oregon cheerleaders? 

At this time I think we need pictures from TJs' pole dancers in the East side to distract people away from this mess. Small video clips from the Soprano's showing the talent pool at Barabim's might do it as well.

On 3/29/2020 at 6:05 PM, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Good news all, StL County has had a 54% decrease in total confirmed cases over the last 24 hours, that is the 3rd straight day with a decrease. Also calls into area coronavirus health lines have decreased by 58% over the last 24 hours, that is the 4th straight day with a decrease.

More good news, StL County has had a 47% decrease in total confirmed cases over the last 24hr period, that makes 4 straight days of decline in the area. 

MB73 likes this

15 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Total confirmed cases or new reported cases?

Total confirmed cases just in the last 24 hours in St. Louis County were down 47% from the total confirmed cases for the previous 24 hr period, which was down 54% from the previous 24 hr period.

Just now, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Total confirmed cases just in the last 24 hours in St. Louis County were down 47% from the total confirmed cases for the previous 24 hr period, which was down 54% from the previous 24 hr period.

Basically the daily total confirmed cases over the last few days were 78, 70, 32, 17.

5 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

That would be good news of the number of people tested each day were increasing.

However, there are gaps, like that count not including VA patients.

I would think, if the number of people tested daily has not decreased but has remained constant, the confirmed numbers continuing to decrease is a good sign.

If the number of people tested has not gone up significantly, while the amount of drive by testing stations has gone up, then we are not testing enough.

It is just as important to have an increasing,effective and directed outreach testing as it is to have a declining positive test population. If the first is increasing and the second is declining, we may be at an inflection point. If both are declining, we have a less certain understanding. The first question you should have, seeing the number of positives declining, is to be happy and ask how many tests were accomplished each day, Never assume.

Spoon-Balls likes this

It isn’t a narrative, it is how you phrase the rate of growth. Growth is growth.

If you have a thousand people a month moving from St. Louis city to St. Charles County for a year, and then the next year sees only 500 people a month move, it is proper to state the population growth(a rate) slowed. The St. Charles population still grew, but at a slower rate.

I know it is hard to see past the politics, but please try.

To state a growth as a negative percentage is like talking about how much money you saved by purchasing items on sale at 20% off. However you finess it, you spent money.

Sorry guys, but spin free facts are right in front of us. It doesn’t take much to spread this virus far and wide. A lawyer who volunteers at church and coaches a couple soccer teams. A cousin who comes to a funeral and life celebration. People going to Mardi Gras. Liberty University firing back up after spring break. Someone visiting an aged parent. Daytona Beach soon to break wide open.

Troll awards are not going to change what is happening 

billikenbill likes this