SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

15 minutes ago, Pistol said:

You realize this is an ongoing situation, right? Will you revisit your posts in a few days/weeks/months and hold yourself accountable?

I've already said repeatedly why those flu numbers are so bad. I hate it, too. I think we should do more. I think it deserves more media attention every year.

There's no advantage to downplaying this. I hope that despite your bluster here, you're taking caution in your day-to-day life. I hope everyone is. I want this to end.

end of may will be the same time period.   so we can compare stats then.  

again,  i am not saying there is no virus or that we shouldnt be taking pre-cautions.   i am asking why we as a country with the encouragement of the media have not taken such a drastic reaction as this time in the past.   maybe had we reacted the same way in the past to the flu outbreaks the statistics for the flu would be better today because of the pressure to combat the problem.   i just dont understand the acceptance of the nonchalant attitude to that and the hysteria to this.   a death is a death.   we should act the same.   

dennis_w likes this

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

60 minutes?  the new yorker?   can you supply a better source than that left wing nonsense?  thanks.

35 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

If the most important Republican in this country is also telling the story that we'll have 100k+ deaths, I am going to assume that we will have that many deaths.

Roy: I'm impressed that you are so bright that there is nothing you can learn from major media outlets, including 60 minutes, the gold standard of TV journalism.  You must just be super smart compared to the rest of us MBMs.  Are you really unequipped to watch a program like 60 Minutes and detect what is politicized and what isn't?  This is why I fear for our country... to be honest, I'm sick of hearing from people who think everything is just "biased."  Intellectually dishonest and lazy, is all it is.  I dare you to watch the 60 Minute story and please explain to all of us the "bias" or "nonsense" being reported there.  You keep asking "why the hysteria"?  Watch the story.  It's heading here, soon enough, I'm pretty sure.

As for slufan: my fear is that, even at this late moment, the Great Leader is still underestimating here.  Again: I truly hope and pray I'm wrong.  But when this hits us here locally -- or wherever you happen to be --  we shall see how attitudes change.

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

end of may will be the same time period.   so we can compare stats then.  

again,  i am not saying there is no virus or that we shouldnt be taking pre-cautions.   i am asking why we as a country with the encouragement of the media have not taken such a drastic reaction as this time in the past.   maybe had we reacted the same way in the past to the flu outbreaks the statistics for the flu would be better today because of the pressure to combat the problem.   i just dont understand the acceptance of the nonchalant attitude to that and the hysteria to this.   a death is a death.   we should act the same.   

So how many times to people have to give you the answer before you stop asking?

Whataboutism is unproductive. Just because we don't do enough about the flu doesn't mean we should downplay this.

Zink and Slu let the dogs out? like this

18 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Roy: I'm impressed that you are so bright that there is nothing you can learn from major media outlets, including 60 minutes, the gold standard of TV journalism.  You must just be super smart compared to the rest of us MBMs.  Are you really unequipped to watch a program like 60 Minutes and detect what is politicized and what isn't?  This is why I fear for our country... to be honest, I'm sick of hearing from people who think everything is just "biased."  Intellectually dishonest and lazy, is all it is.  I dare you to watch the 60 Minute story and please explain to all of us the "bias" or "nonsense" being reported there.  You keep asking "why the hysteria"?  Watch the story.  It's heading here, soon enough, I'm pretty sure.

As for slufan: my fear is that, even at this late moment, the Great Leader is still underestimating here.  Again: I truly hope and pray I'm wrong.  But when this hits us here locally -- or wherever you happen to be --  we shall see how attitudes change.

-talking 60 Minutes, Lara Logan was super hot...

60 Minutes' Lara Logan Hospitalized Again After 2011 Sexual ...

-this thread needed a distraction

moytoy12, Bills71 and BilliesBy40 like this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

People have answered you repeatedly.

We have 5-figure flu deaths annually because people don't do anything to stop it. Few people get the shot every year because it isn't free and convenient for everyone, not to mention an increasing number of people who think vaccines are bad. People who are sick still go to work for various reasons - no paid sick/vacation time, for example, and stubbornness by a lot of people who do have it. People leave the house when sick. People ignore medical advice. There's minimal media response to that because it happens every year and we've basically decided it's just the way it is.

But we have vaccines, we have treatment, and we have capacity in our medical system to deal with the annual flu. We do not have a vaccine and we do not have capacity to deal with this current pandemic. You keep saying the flu is a bigger problem in terms of sheer numbers but that won't be true for long.

I really, really hope that this changes behaviors moving forward, that people will stay home when sick, that lawmakers give low wage earners the ability to do so, that people get shots and take medicine, that the anti-vaxxer movement dies, and that people listen to their doctors. We don't have to accept an annual 5-figure death rate.

Will you stop the "what about the flu?" narrative now?

Life and death issues that potentially impact the entire population will always cut across generational and political lines.   In the late 1960s, there were no amount of logic and data from Vietnam War protesters that would convince hardliners that the War was wrong, even as the bodies began to pile up.  The only thing that even had a remote chance of changing their minds was losing a loved one.  And many times not even then.  

How does a group react to react to a life or death situation?  The first thing you have to agree on is what constitutes a life or death situation.  Many of the Vietnam War supporters, had they known at the beginning what the War what it would like at the end, would not have taken such a hardline position.  Once they did, they had too much invested to abandon that narrative.  No amount of dead bodies would change their minds.  You just got more deflection and obfuscation.

I don't think any of this stuff is intentional.  Doubling down when your worldview is challenged is a defense mechanism.  It's just how our brains are wired.  And now we have the technology to live in permanent echo chambers.

Pistol likes this

20 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Roy: I'm impressed that you are so bright that there is nothing you can learn from major media outlets, including 60 minutes, the gold standard of TV journalism

maybe 20 years ago.   i quit watching sometime after nobama got elected and we were subjected to a regular parade of hosanna's for the great one.   it was pretty obvious to me at that point that 60 minutes had picked sides.  

15 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So how many times to people have to give you the answer before you stop asking?

Whataboutism is unproductive. Just because we don't do enough about the flu doesn't mean we should downplay this.

as soon as they explain why it is ok to kill for some scenarios but not for others.   so far the best i've got from anyone is your "because they arent the same".   which doesnt make me all warm and fuzzy.    

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

as soon as they explain why it is ok to kill for some scenarios but not for others.   so far the best i've got from anyone is your "because they arent the same".   which doesnt make me all warm and fuzzy.    

I certainly don't read every thread or every post in a thread, but it isn't all that difficult to understand that the flu has both treatments and vaccines. Covid-19 does not. And COVID-19 has a much higher death rate etc...in order to get it under control, large intervention measures need to take place for a while. If no interventions, if no treatments, if no vaccines, the numbers of sick and dead become exponential. Things will be "back to normal" after a widely available vaccine is available. This takes 12-18 months. Until then there will be various phases.

Just now, courtside said:

I certainly don't read every thread or every post in a thread, but it isn't all that difficult to understand that the flu has both treatments and vaccines.

considering all this success everyone keeps telling me about we sure have a lot of deaths each year attributed to it.  

MB73 likes this

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

maybe 20 years ago.   i quit watching sometime after nobama got elected and we were subjected to a regular parade of hosanna's for the great one.   it was pretty obvious to me at that point that 60 minutes had picked sides.  

So sad - I remember when roy was one of the "no politics on the board" crusaders.

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

considering all this success everyone keeps telling me about we sure have a lot of deaths each year attributed to it.  

12k or so last year for example. Dr. Fauci said yesterday that with strong interventions that we have begun now, and with treatments and vaccines in development etc...the hope is to reduce U.S. deaths to 100k to 200k.....and that is with everything being done now. Otherwise it would be millions. I know you understand the difference between millions and six figures, and, the difference between six figures and 12k.

5 minutes ago, courtside said:

12k or so last year for example. Dr. Fauci said yesterday that with strong interventions that we have begun now, and with treatments and vaccines in development etc...the hope is to reduce U.S. deaths to 100k to 200k.....and that is with everything being done now. Otherwise it would be millions. I know you understand the difference between millions and six figures, and, the difference between six figures and 12k.

the cdc stats i have read show flu deaths each year far exceeding 12,000.  

On 3/28/2020 at 9:45 AM, billiken_roy said:

You are nuts.   we have shut down america and are knocking on the door of a major economic depression.  that is panic.   the media is now being destroyed every night by president trump.   i love that the tables are turned on the fake news msm.  finally america that only watches fake news is seeing for themselves how dishonest and one sided the media has become.  

roy, how does the corporately owned "fake news msm" execute this conspiracy? Do they all get together and coordinate a misinformation campaign about corona? And what would be their motivation? A dramatic downturn in the economy can't be good for business for the msm  with their advertisers feeling the pain.  And if this is largely a media driven "hoax" why has the Trump administration finally taken such drastic action? You think Trump would cave so easily if he truly believed the media was putting pressure on him? If so, what a weakling.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/28/coronavirus-cure-fact-check-hydroxychloroquine-trump.  

The US president last week used a press conference to promote the use of hydroxychloroquine, a common anti-malaria drug, to treat Covid-19, saying: “I sure as hell think we ought to give it a try.” He followed this with a tweet that claimed the use of the drug in combination with azithromycin, an antibiotic, could be “one of the biggest game changers in the history of medicine.” 

Trump was immediately contradicted by public health experts including his own top infectious diseases adviser, Dr Anthony Fauci, who warned that there was only “anecdotal evidence” that the drugs could be helpful... Trump responded by telling reporters that “I’m a smart guy” and “I’ve been right a lot.”

More recent, albeit small-scale, research from China has shown that patients who were treated with the drugs fought off coronavirus no more quickly than those who didn’t get it. Indeed, one patient given hydroxychloroquine severely worsened in condition while four patients on the medicine developed signs of liver damage and experienced diarrhea. 

Hydroxychloroquine is able to keep lupus, a chronic autoimmune disease, in check but some people with the condition have complained they are now unable to find Plaquenil. Trump’s pushing of the treatment has caused many Americans, whether they need it or not, to stock up on the drug.

15 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Also, rural America and red states are about to be walloped by this.  My parents in rural OK, tell me that some restaurants are still allowing dine in eating because “this virus is a media hoax.”

Haven't read all 500 pages of this thread so not sure if this has been posted yet. Missouri....not so good:

Millions Of Older Americans Live In Counties With No ICU Beds As ...

15 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Hydroxychloroquine is able to keep lupus, a chronic autoimmune disease, in check but some people with the condition have complained they are now unable to find Plaquenil. Trump’s pushing of the treatment has caused many Americans, whether they need it or not, to stock up on the drug.

One of my direct reports has lupus and has been unable to get a refill due to reduced inventory levels. 

31 minutes ago, courtside said:

It certainly varies year to year but it isn't going to be six figures or millions. Would you rather do nothing? 

no i just want someone to convincingly tell me why we do nothing all these years for different health scenarios and all at once this year it's the end of the world and we shut down the country and drift into a depression.    just explain what is so different that justifies the reaction.   

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

no i just want someone to convincingly tell me why we do nothing all these years for different health scenarios and all at once this year it's the end of the world and we shut down the country and drift into a depression.    just explain what is so different that justifies the reaction.   

Has the flu ever caused hospitals to store bodies in deep freezers until they can be transported? Has the FLU every necessitated the need for hospitals to be set up in Central Park? Or are you saying the media is causing these requirements? I am genuinely trying to follow your logic. 

RUBillsFan likes this

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Trump said yesterday that we will "have done a good job" if we keep the deaths under 100,000. If the most important Republican in this country is also telling the story that we'll have 100k+ deaths, I am going to assume that we will have that many deaths.

He’s same guy said #s would come down when we had 15 cases and he did nothing. Pushing gold post like Stan did with Rams.  

6 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Has the flu ever caused hospitals to store bodies in deep freezers until they can be transported? Has the FLU every necessitated the need for hospitals to be set up in Central Park? Or are you saying the media is causing these requirements? I am genuinely trying to follow your logic. 

what are you talking about?  there arent even 2600 total deaths across america?   there are 10 x that number of flu deaths and by the tone of your question you are saying that 26,000 flu deaths in the last six months didnt cause this deep freeze problem but 2600 chinese flu virus deaths did?   that makes no sense.