SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

15 minutes ago, willie said:

All you had to do was turn of Fox News any evening. With the exception of Carlson they all dismissed it. 

Fox is on all day long...just not at night. He said an entire network took that position.  That is flat out false. Secondly, I think people see the coverage through the lens of bias. Telling people not to panic is not the same as saying it is no big deal.  Sometimes we hear what we want to hear.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, HenryB said:

Several flaws in your reply.  Stop putting words in people's mouth. You continue to pedal the false narrative that people say it is all due to politicization. Listen careful...NO ONE IS SAYING THAT.  The point which you continue to ignore is that many on the left continue to politicize this issue...the evidence is overwhelming. Secondly, you said an ENTIRE NETWORK said it is no big deal.  That is patently false. You must not watch much FoxNews. Ever hear of Chris Wallace and Neil Cavuto? They are routinely critical of the President as are many others on the network. Show me the quote that says "no big deal" is the entire network's position.  There are many in the media who have gotten giddy over the collapse of the stock market and expressed hope that this event could be used to get rid of Trump.  Not only is that unpatriotic...it reveals a complete lack of common decency. Speaking of decency...did you notice I responded to you without the use of profane, personal insults.  Think you can do the same next time?

1) Lol take your own advice champ. 

2) You are really dense. Let me get Rupert on the phone and see what he says. Please hold. 

3) His handling of this event is more than enough reason to disqualify him from the presidency

4) I don't take my patriotism cues from HenryB on Billikens.com

5) I didn't insult you unless you are politicizing it. Then I am insulting you. 

Spoon-Balls likes this

1 minute ago, HenryB said:

Fox is on all day long...just not at night. He said an entire network took that position.  That is flat out false. Secondly, I think people see the coverage through the lens of bias. Telling people not to panic is not the same as saying it is no big deal.  Sometimes we hear what we want to hear.

Hey we agree on something. Cheers!

4 hours ago, rgbilliken said:

If anyone wants a picture of how hospital resources are now being rationed, I’m currently in the hospital with a gallstone lodged in my bile duct. Usually they would 100% remove the stone by endoscope and probably take my gallbladder out too. Now they have me sitting here waiting while they decide whether they can spare the resources and if this is enough of an emergency.  I’m not allowed any visitors, including my 3 month old daughter, whom I’m still breastfeeding, and my husband. No one is allowed visitors unless they’re dying or giving birth–then they’re allowed one (1). They have canceled all non-emergency surgeries in order to conserve resources. The problem is no one seems able to decide what constitutes an emergency. If this gets worse than it already is, the situation at hospitals will be really scary. 

Thank you to all who wished me well. They removed two gallstones (~4 and 6 mm in diameter) from my bile duct. “Lucky” for me, I started becoming jaundiced, so it was deemed medically necessary to do this procedure. It is a band aid and I will have to get the gallbladder out at some point when things are less crazy and just hope it doesn’t get really bad in the meantime. Fine with me, I’m happy to go home and be with my kid. 

Re: the point of my original post, the entire team had an argument while they were prepping me on whether the N95 masks (the only kind effective in stopping the droplets that contain coronavirus) were necessary during my procedure. The doctor said the hospital said they are only to be used if the patient is suspected to have COVID19, due to the fact that they expect they will need a lot more of those masks in the coming weeks and they think they will run out. The problem with that logic is...at this point they suspect everyone may have it, even asymptomatic patients like myself.  They ended up using the masks. I really hope they don’t run out. 

Crewsorlose likes this

Just now, rgbilliken said:

Thank you to all who wished me well. They removed two gallstones (~4 and 6 mm in diameter) from my bile duct. “Lucky” for me, I started becoming jaundiced, so it was deemed medically necessary to do this procedure. It is a band aid and I will have to get the gallbladder out at some point when things are less crazy and just hope it doesn’t get really bad in the meantime. Fine with me, I’m happy to go home and be with my kid. 

Re: the point of my original post, the entire team had an argument while they were prepping me on whether the N95 masks (the only kind effective in stopping the droplets that contain coronavirus) were necessary during my procedure. The doctor said the hospital said they are only to be used if the patient is suspected to have COVID19, due to the fact that they expect they will need a lot more of those masks in the coming weeks and they think they will run out. The problem with that logic is...at this point they suspect everyone may have it, even asymptomatic patients like myself.  They ended up using the masks. I really hope they don’t run out. 

Get well soon RG!

12 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

1) Lol take your own advice champ. 

2) You are really dense. Let me get Rupert on the phone and see what he says. Please hold. 

3) His handling of this event is more than enough reason to disqualify him from the presidency

4) I don't take my patriotism cues from HenryB on Billikens.com

5) I didn't insult you unless you are politicizing it. Then I am insulting you. 

Lol...what kind of sewer do you live in when telling someone to *** off is not an insult? Typical leftist response.  Can't win the debate on the evidence and then resort to temper tantrums and name calling. Lol...thanks again for proving my point of politicization....your rant on Trump says it all. Another classic case of Trump Derangement Syndrome.  How are you going to be able to stand the next 5 years? Lol

10 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Lol...what kind of sewer do you live in when telling someone to *** off is not an insult? Typical leftist response.  Can't win the debate on the evidence and then resort to temper tantrums and name calling. Lol...thanks again for proving my point of politicization....your rant on Trump says it all. Another classic case of Trump Derangement Syndrome.  How are you going to be able to stand the next 5 years? Lol

Lol read it again. 

I don't think I ever called you conservative or right so why you calling me a leftist? 

If you think this is a temper tantrum you really got issues. I'm making dinner and sipping a local brew. 

A 16 word response saying I think Trump has handled this poorly is considered a rant? You've gotten so soft. 

2 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Lol read it again. 

I don't think I ever called you conservative or right so why you calling me a leftist? 

Sorry if calling you a leftist hurt your feelings...my sincerest apologies. Usually those who make blanket  critical statements about fox news and go off on the president are...but maybe you are one of those fair minded exceptions. Btw...I don't consider being called a conservative an insult. This is a classic example of why I rarely post...seldom do these debates change anyone's mind. My point was only that rather than all Americans uniting to confront a problem, some look upon it as an opportunity to score political points. The article I posted was an example of that. Any way...I'm done.

5 hours ago, rgbilliken said:

If anyone wants a picture of how hospital resources are now being rationed, I’m currently in the hospital with a gallstone lodged in my bile duct. Usually they would 100% remove the stone by endoscope and probably take my gallbladder out too. Now they have me sitting here waiting while they decide whether they can spare the resources and if this is enough of an emergency.  I’m not allowed any visitors, including my 3 month old daughter, whom I’m still breastfeeding, and my husband. No one is allowed visitors unless they’re dying or giving birth–then they’re allowed one (1). They have canceled all non-emergency surgeries in order to conserve resources. The problem is no one seems able to decide what constitutes an emergency. If this gets worse than it already is, the situation at hospitals will be really scary. 

God bless, rg. Hang in there. We're all pulling for you.

7 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Sorry if calling you a leftist hurt your feelings...my sincerest apologies. Usually those who make blanket  critical statements about fox news and go off on the president are...but maybe you are one of those fair minded exceptions. Btw...I don't consider being called a conservative an insult. This is a classic example of why I rarely post...seldom do these debates change anyone's mind. My point was only that rather than all Americans uniting to confront a problem, some look upon it as an opportunity to score political points. The article I posted was an example of that. Any way...I'm done.

Me too. 

Moving on. 

We can all agree: Go Bills!

billiken_roy likes this

3 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

You made a claim that we should compare ourselves to Italy... I actually PROVIDED EVIDENCE, unlike you to refute your claims and verify mine. It’s telling that you wanted no part of a factual discussion... so in the meantime, you act like a child and call people a troll. I disagree vehemently with you,  that people who are concerned about an economic collapse and its consequences, don’t care about this pandemic. There are multiple factors that need and should be considered... anyone who thinks they have all the answers is fooling theirselves..

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

You would make a great dodge ball player Pete. Keep on attacking the messenger and ignore the message. I gave concrete facts to dispute your claims, and you had no answer but to name call..

Let's revisit your first post in this thread:

On 3/10/2020 at 2:40 PM, BIG BILL FAN said:

the average age of someone dying from the virus is 80....this whole thing is a political ploy...the overwhelming majority who contract the virus have extremely mild symptoms and don't even know they are carrying it...this is mainly a media driven event...... for some perspective, deaths from flu in the United States average between 16,000 - 61,000 per year depending on the strain........

Only a week later and it's really not aging well, is it?

I really don't get why you continue to downplay it after being so wrong, over and over.

I know reading comprehension isn't your thing but if you go back you'll notice I said China is not the roadmap we can expect, we should look to Italy as a warning (because even though we aren't a perfect 1:1 comparison culturally, we've taken a far more similar approach to this than South Korea or China), we should try to emulate South Korea's testing, and provided links with data. You shared a link after getting challenged on a post that came across as super ignorant. It's not my fault that you're a bad communicator and have a history of dumb posts in this thread and elsewhere.

I'm proud of you for sharing a link to a pretty good Wired article and not a misspelled meme, a link to InfoTruthBlaze.net or whatever, or a video from a guy in wraparound shades filming himself while driving around in his Ford Ranger. I don't dispute anything in the article at all and found it a worthwhile read. We're still tracking two weeks behind Italy with this outbreak, though, and the potential is much worse here because of our population. Your article doesn't contradict anything anyone else said.

I'm not happy with myself for looking at posts from people who have been on my ignore list for years. You and @HenryB are trolls and this would be a much better thread without your nonsense.

45 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

A second official who worked a league tourney has tested positive.  First one was in the Colonial tourney and now a second in the Northeast Conference final on March 10.

Not great.

I don't think there's anyone left questioning whether the Tournament and the remaining conference tournaments should've been cancelled. It had to be done.

I hope MSHSAA and others don't come to regret waiting as long as they did before cancelling events.

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Let's revisit your first post in this thread:

Only a week later and it's really not aging well, is it?

I really don't get why you continue to downplay it after being so wrong, over and over.

I know reading comprehension isn't your thing but if you go back you'll notice I said China is not the roadmap we can expect, we should look to Italy as a warning (because even though we aren't a perfect 1:1 comparison culturally, we've taken a far more similar approach to this than South Korea or China), we should try to emulate South Korea's testing, and provided links with data. You shared a link after getting challenged on a post that came across as super ignorant. It's not my fault that you're a bad communicator and have a history of dumb posts in this thread and elsewhere.

I'm proud of you for sharing a link to a pretty good Wired article and not a misspelled meme, a link to InfoTruthBlaze.net or whatever, or a video from a guy in wraparound shades filming himself while driving around in his Ford Ranger. I don't dispute anything in the article at all and found it a worthwhile read. We're still tracking two weeks behind Italy with this outbreak, though, and the potential is much worse here because of our population. Your article doesn't contradict anything anyone else said.

I'm not happy with myself for looking at posts from people who have been on my ignore list for years. You and @HenryB are trolls and this would be a much better thread without your nonsense.

Great post. Nevertheless, some folks will live their Fox News wet dreams ad infinitum

billikenbill and rgbilliken like this

2 hours ago, willie said:

All you had to do was turn of Fox News any evening. With the exception of Carlson they all dismissed it. 

Carlson deserves credit here.  He was covering this virus accurately for a month before anyone else in the major media was taking it seriously and kept covering it despite people claiming he was being sensational in attempt to whip up xenophobia.

41 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Carlson deserves credit here.  He was covering this virus accurately for a month before anyone else in the major media was taking it seriously and kept covering it despite people claiming he was being sensational in attempt to whip up xenophobia.

Not normally a fan but he supposedly had an impact on Trump to take this epidemic seriously. 

2 hours ago, rgbilliken said:

Rgbilliken, I am glad they took out the 2 stones they were causing the obstruction. They needed to do that, a bile duct obstruction can cause death if not relieved. The name of the complication is Ascending Cholangitis (you can check this out), something you do NOT want to get. The gallbladder can wait until a later date or they can try to pulverize the stones by lithotrypsy. Anyway, you  are out of immediate danger now. Congratulations, enjoy your children you are a lucky person.

Triage is not a simple or benign thing to do and that is what they are starting to do everywhere. Not the time to have serious disease, not that you can help it.

Congratulations, do not complain about your experience. You are alive, others may not be so lucky.

Look guys and girls, this will get worse before it gets better, people without the bug will die. Nothing you can do about it.

If you know any Army MDs ask them what triage of mass casualties is like. I think we may be heading that way at civilian facilities. And have no doubt, they will run out  of  the N95 masks.

6 hours ago, Old guy said:

What British review of our situation are you referring to Cheeseman?, please clarify. I know you have a source, you did before much to my surprise. So, kindly who came up with this estimate?

I have not personally read the review but heard a short summary of it on the news.  I am sorry I do not have the specific source.  If I run across it again I will pass it on.

4 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I have not personally read the review but heard a short summary of it on the news.  I am sorry I do not have the specific source.  If I run across it again I will pass it on.

No problem cheeseman I was given a link to the Brit study showing over 2m deaths in the US. Not valid, check my analysis. Look at my post with the graph and tell me in what Universe we are going to have 2M deaths when China was below 3000 deaths as of March 15 th. A lot of the stuff published in the media is just crap, and that includes articles published by professionals.

33 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Rgbilliken, I am glad they took out the 2 stones they were causing the obstruction. They needed to do that, a bile duct obstruction can cause death if not relieved. The name of the complication is Ascending Cholangitis (you can check this out), something you do NOT want to get. The gallbladder can wait until a later date or they can try to pulverize the stones by lithotrypsy. Anyway, you  are out of immediate danger now. Congratulations, enjoy your children you are a lucky person.

Triage is not a simple or benign thing to do and that is what they are starting to do everywhere. Not the time to have serious disease, not that you can help it.

Congratulations, do not complain about your experience. You are alive, others may not be so lucky.

Look guys and girls, this will get worse before it gets better, people without the bug will die. Nothing you can do about it.

If you know any Army MDs ask them what triage of mass casualties is like. I think we may be heading that way at civilian facilities. And have no doubt, they will run out  of  the N95 masks.

None of this is to complain, just to give people a little window into what hospitals are dealing with. They’ve now had to lock down the masks because I guess people were running into the ER and stealing them. 

28 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

None of this is to complain, just to give people a little window into what hospitals are dealing with. They’ve now had to lock down the masks because I guess people were running into the ER and stealing them. 

And the ones that are not stolen are used by ball-less surgeons that will not operate in a patient that is clean of Covid-19 without the fancy masks. Woopee! When I say  that mitigation strategies are NOT going to be gentle you'd better beileve it. You had what can be called a preliminary taste of it, it gets a LOT worse. This is not the time to get really sick or have a major accident.

8 minutes ago, Old guy said:

And the ones that are not stolen are used by ball-less surgeons that will not operate in a patient that is clean of Covid-19 without the fancy masks. Woopee! When I say  that mitigation strategies are NOT going to be gentle you'd better beileve it. You had what can be called a preliminary taste of it, it gets a LOT worse. This is not the time to get really sick or have a major accident.

Are you aware that two Wash U doctors have contracted the virus? But, yeah doctors are being ball less by demanding a mask.