SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

45 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Rumor is that a few school reps have asked the NCAA to look into allowing seniors to come back for one year whom played on a team who had not lost 

Sounds goods initially.   But every kid who comes back takes playing time and/or a scholarship away from someone else - like someone who is in high school right now and who is watching his/her High School Senior year disappear and will not be able to/want to stay in high school another year to play their sport.  The High School Class of 2020 kids are getting screwed now on both ends!!

BTW, high school Spring sports in the St. Louis area are now being suspended/postponned/canceled.  Pick your choice of words.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Sounds goods initially.   But every kid who comes back takes playing time and/or a scholarship away from someone else - like someone who is in high school right now and who is watching his/her High School Senior year disappear and will not be able to/want to stay in high school another year to play their sport.  The High School Class of 2020 kids are getting screwed now on both ends!!

BTW, high school Spring sports in the St. Louis area are now being suspended/postponned/canceled.  Pick your choice of words.

It's a fair argument. Perhaps they have a 1 year increase in the roster spots/scholarships involved? This, at least theoretically, would allow all to compete and the best to get the playing time.  

1 minute ago, moytoy12 said:

It's a fair argument. Perhaps they have a 1 year increase in the roster spots/scholarships involved? This, at least theoretically, would allow all to compete and the best to get the playing time.  

hell the likes of one and done schools like kentucky would have to expand their roster to 24 players.

2 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

This what im thinking would happen. I doubt it would have anything to do with taking away a players scholarship 

21 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

hell the likes of one and done schools like kentucky would have to expand their roster to 24 players.

Except those schools tend to not have many seniors, unless I’m misunderstanding 

58 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

95%(I’m making that up but it’s close) of senior basketball players completed their season. To give them another year makes no sense. I’m glad they are giving spring athletes an extra year. 

Spring athletes are mostly baseball guys.  So for this example, consider a high school baseball player who is missing out on his HS Senior year of baseball, Are we sure he will have his scholarship at a school like SLU next year?  Remember that SLU baseball is NOT fully funded so they split the few scholarships they do have.   Sure, our baseball coach is happy to have (for instance) 3 of his now Seniors (22 year old men - who will be 23 next year & who also are sitting out now) play again next year.   Does that mean that 3 high school seniors just lost their spot?  their partial scholarship? and if lucky, are further down on the depth chart?

Yes, we are glad that Tay Weaver played 95% of his Senior season - though he came to SLU to not only play in front of us at Chaveitz and in the A10 - but to play in the NCAA Tourney.  Won't happen now.   But no hard feelings or playing time issues for Marki next year as he will come in and take over Tay's scholarship/spot on the team.  But if the Spring sport equivalent of Tay does not leave, does the Spring sport equivalent of Marki still have what he though he had/was promised?   Do the math.   Only 1 baseball and 9 players allowed on the baseball field at a time.  SLU may have been the perfect choice for a high school senior b/c 3 spots would come available - the sale of playing time.   But the coronavirus has changed that too!   I guarantee you that high school class Seniors now can and will get screwed not only by their high schools/leagues cancelling all/part of their season but more importantly by who they think will be their college.   Maybe the SLU scholarship is withdrawn or not given as repeatedly though verbally promised.

And how many high school boys were planning on having a great Senior year to get noticed and to earn their scholarship?  Marki already played his ball (AAU and high school) but the Spring athlete equivalent is largely dependent upon his performance now to get an offer/schollie for next year - which again won't happen.

9 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Great opportunity to learn how to make delicious stews and other dishes using monkey meat. You do not have to go to the monkeys up the trees, they come to you. The mayor of the city  should start a campaign called "Eat the Monkeys."

Seriously now, after the announcement today, the wheels of the government are grinding forward with plenty of money, plenty of new research, streamlined approval of drugs and test kits, and the ability to suspend regulations. Drive in testing coming soon. I have to  believe, they will have or add real enforcement of the quarantines for those tested (+). All of this is good for control of the disease. The epidemic should be over by May.

On 3/12/2020 at 10:04 AM, Old guy said:

Oh my! you did answer the question. Chinese data is really all we have to go by at this time. However do you know anything about the structure of the Chinese Health care system? I presume that you do not know much if anything about it, but assume it is structured much like ours with hospitals, clinics, etc... That is correct but only in a superficial level. We have a standard system in terms that the medical  care received throughout the whole country is standardized. A Dr is a Dr, is a Dr. Yes, there are different specialties and different degrees of ability and competence from Dr to Dr but the type of medicine practiced is the same all over. Mind you homeopaths and voodo healers although present to some extent are neither numerous, nor included in this and whoever goes to see them, particularly in cities, does so voluntarily.

China is different, they have a tiered system. The top of society gets fully up to date and well equipped facilities with Drs practicing standard modern medicine in the American or European pattern. As you go down in the population status level things change. The bulk of the population receives what is called "traditional medicine", that is medicine and medical care like it has been practiced in China for centuries. No doubt there have been some changes introduced the likes of which are not known to me. They have schools and facilities for this kind of  medical care. The important thing to know and realize is that traditional Chinese medicine is very different from what is practiced in America.

So, my dear friend, do you think the mortality of Covid-19 cases coming out of these traditional Chinese medicine facilities is likely to be the same or better than the mortality than the  mortality of Covid-19 cases coming out of the top tier facilities? At best be honest and say you have no idea. If you are being honest, at least consider the extremely good possibility, in my opinion, that the mortality for Covid-19 coming out of the traditional Chinese medicine facilities is a lot worse than the mortality coming out of the standard American style facilities and practice.

So, there is a two tiered data stream coming out of China which includes tens of thousands of deaths, but is not broken down into style of medical care used to treat the  patients. THIS IS THE DATA AVAILABLE TO CDC before they testify  before Congress. Woopy Do!, what is a mother to do? The only thing they can do is to testify and explain to the Congress that according to the data available this is the level of mortality experienced in China, or expected in the US. They are not going to lie about this. Think about it, there was a clip posted here showing Fauci guessing about the mortality of Covid-19, he does not have reliable data at this time to base this calculation upon.

Is this level of mortality comparable to what will be experienced in the US, well and frankly speaking NO, IT IS NOT. Our mortality experience with  this bug will be different than Chinese mortality  because we do not have a two tiered system of health care. Again CDC is not lying to  Congress, they are doing their best effort to provide valid information given the type of (Chinese) data available to them at this time.

My point is that no one, including CDC, can say what the mortality will be (future tense please notice) in the US, there is insufficient data so far. I posted my expert estimate that the total Covd-19 mortality for the US would be below 26,000 for this year.

One last point cheeseman, you may have any opinion you want about me and you are welcome to it. But this is not fun and games, this is real and what I am trying to do, in a limited way of course, is to provide some reality that is in sharp contrast to the Salvador Dali surreal stuff being portrayed in the media. We all like stats and probability, we all talk about it endlessly. Well go ahead and try to do the research yourself. Try using this  link to the premier medical  research site in this country, the National Library of Medicine:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

Have fun, learn something, apply  your knowledge. This  is truly a much better thing to do than worry about anyone sneezing around you

I don't remember posting any opinion about you in this thread so if you think people have an unacceptable opinion of you then that is your problem not mine.  I posted what the CDC put out - I guess we should not listen to them.  I included as you requested where I got the information from - which apparently you did not believe I could do but I did.  Sorry you are disappointed that I could actually do what you asked.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I don't remember posting any opinion about you in this thread so if you think people have an unacceptable opinion of you then that is your problem not mine.  I posted what the CDC put out - I guess we should not listen to them.  I included as you requested where I got the information from - which apparently you did not believe I could do but I did.  Sorry you are disappointed that I could actually do what you asked.

The right wing media, Limbaugh, Hannity, et al has turned vulnerable people’s brains to mush. Such a disservice to the country. Rip me all you want but I’m right and you’re wrong.

Rant over.

Note to board monitors: Ding me if you want for talking politics. I try to limit posts here to sports, but all the ridiculous crap that’s been posted about the coronavirus situation has pi$$ed me off. The last thing I’ll say is it’s pretty dang pathetic that there has to be a negative political spin put on everything that happens.

Sometimes things just happen and that’s the reality of it.

20 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

The right wing media, Limbaugh, Hannity, et al has turned vulnerable people’s brains to mush. Such a disservice to the country. Rip me all you want but I’m right and you’re wrong.

Rant over.

Note to board monitors: Ding me if you want for talking politics. I try to limit posts here to sports, but all the ridiculous crap that’s been posted about the coronavirus situation has pi$$ed me off. The last thing I’ll say is it’s pretty dang pathetic that there has to be a negative political spin put on everything that happens.

Sometimes things just happen and that’s the reality of it.

Please just stop. You think you are right and the other side thinks they are right. It would best to keep politics off this board and out of the virus situation

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

The CDC has to respond so they use prior practice and whatever data they have available, in this case Chinese data. I posted why the mortality data from China has to be different from that of the US. And no, you  are not the only member who has (at least at times) a low opinion of what I say. As I have mentioned before, my ignore list is large. If it gives you any consolation, I consider your posts worthy to be read and considered.

1 hour ago, slusam said:

Please just stop. You think you are right and the other side thinks they are right. It would best to keep politics off this board and out of the virus situation

Except for the fact that the President himself is stating things directly in conflict with what the leading world health experts are saying. That's not plain old "politics," that's just blatant ignorance at best, willful malfeasance at worst. 

Ding me as well for politics talk. But DJT's response to a global pandemic has been akin to a child's. I'm equally as critical of people on the far left and the far right, but we need more common sense moderate voices in today's world. 

5 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Except for the fact that the President himself is stating things directly in conflict with what the leading world health experts are saying. That's not plain old "politics," that's just blatant ignorance at best, willful malfeasance at worst. 

It always amazes me the lack of self awareness on both sides of the aisle. One side accuses the other side of something they are also doing.

7 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Ding me as well for politics talk. But DJT's response has been akin to a child's.

You’re the child...

billiken_roy likes this

1 minute ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Shut this fμcking thread down!

It’s always the butt hurt liberals that start this crap... early on our President instituted a travel ban to/from China, who these same liberal bashers said was irrational and racist. I agree, political talk should stop, but it seems to be a one way street on this board.

HenryB likes this

My side is filled with medical professionals, setting up protocols for testing and treating patients, screening suspected infected members of the general population, and giving everyone evidence based advice.

Anyone who willfully disregards that, or states that we have corona virus under control in the US when it probably won’t peak for months, or won’t modify any of their previous lifestyle behaviors because it is burdensome, or actively subverts sensible quarantine efforts, is striving to put my wife’s health, and that of her coworkers, at elevated risk.

Since these workers care for our veterans at John Cochran and Jefferson Barracks VA Hospitals, that makes the behaviors, attitudes, and decisions to be against the best care and support of our hospitalized veterans, which is ......unpatriotic.

The only two sides here are what is medically correct, and what is medically wrong. After we pass through this crisis, we can switch back to the normal bat channel, but right now cut the politics and let the medical folks do their show to save us all.

Just now, BIG BILL FAN said:

Then why don’t you Brian??? 

I haven’t posted a damn thing political in this whole thread.  Saying you were wrong about Coronavirus is not a political statement statement.  Hell, me and you probably vote for 90% of the same candidates, but that doesn’t stop me from realizing you are being a dumb a$$ on this topic.