SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

1 minute ago, mrjoelabs said:

Corrections, thousands died IN CHINA only...where thousands dying of the 1.2 billion people there is nothing.   And now its basically fading out in China.  

After they did exactly what we're starting to do.  Italy didn't lock down right away and now they're paying the price.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Yes I saw it yesterday and found it informative -- and frightening.  I really am no expert but it is plausible this is going to get very bad.  Many experts are saying multiply by 10 in one week, then 100 2 weeks from today. Listen to this guy; it is pretty apolitical too, in case someone is sniffing around for "bias."

meanwhile cases continue to drop in China......

In China, where the epidemic began, the daily case numbers continue to drop. On Wednesday, just 24 new infections were reported, 10 of which involve people who had traveled abroad, suggesting a lower rate of community transmission, according to health authorities.

Just now, BIG BILL FAN said:

In China, where the epidemic began, the daily case numbers continue to drop. On Wednesday, just 24 new infections were reported, 10 of which involve people who had traveled abroad, suggesting a lower rate of community transmission, according to health authorities.

How did they get it under control in China? 

I am happy that I still have last years A10 tournament still on my DVR because I just could not erase it.

When I get home next week I will put it on and at least have a A10 tournament to watch.

My wife’s facility is shutting down next week and that is about 2000 people.

I am still traveling and working but I wonder for how much longer?

12 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

How did they get it under control in China? 

Like most viruses, it runs its course...sadly, many are going to be upset if this pandemic doesn't last until election day.....meanwhile, bunker up and isolate yourself from the world....

2 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Like most viruses, it runs its course...sadly, many are going to be upset if this pandemic doesn't last until election day.....meanwhile, bunker up and isolate yourself from the world....

China literally locked people inside buildings to prevent social interactions. 

4 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Tell that to folks in Italy.

“The point of modern propaganda isn’t only to misinform or push an agenda,” says the Russian dissident and former world chess champion Garry Kasparov. “It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.”

ps: all this talk of biased news reports and false equivalencies among news sources is just silly, and is precisely what Kasparov is calling out here. Truth itself is non-partisan, folks.  Try growing a pair, wading through multiple expert sources, and discovering truth -- yeah? If you are unable to distinguish between sources, you may need to try harder.

Let's face it, it's finally starting to break through for some folks that the "political side" they're on isn't truly with the experts on this one. Not to mention, their fearless leader has no focking clue what he's talking about. There's gonna be some serious cognitive dissonance before this pandemic ultimately breaks rigid thought patterns. 

DJT: "We have lots of testing, you wouldn't believe how many tests they're putting out there."

Dr. Fauci: "It is a failing, let's admit it." 

1 minute ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

"It runs its course"

WUHAN, China—The city in central China where a new coronavirus originated will halt outbound flights and trains and shut its public-transportation system, the Chinese government said,

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-virus-cases-pass-400-11579670877

Chinese factories that were supposed to be quiet for a few days to celebrate Lunar New Year are looking at possible closures and staff disruptions of weeks if not more, threatening production plans at Apple, as well as Tesla Inc. and Anheuser-Busch InBev SA .

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-closes-china-to-the-world-straining-global-economy-11580689793

DEVASTATING footage appears to show coronavirus patients being welded inside their homes and "left to die" as China battles to contain the fatal disease.

In shocking clips posted on social media, masked men are seen blasting torches as they seal doors, seemingly imprisoning sick residents as the death toll today rose to 813.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10925668/coronavirus-patients-welded-homes-china/ 

20 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

What does one do without sports? I am truly at a loss for how I will spend my time/be happy.

I believe you may be about to enter a process or rediscovery. Hiking, bike riding the Katy trail, the wineries, reading something nice. Lots of things to do, but you need to find them first. Never fear, the closure of sports will provide ample time.

26 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

You really believe the Chinese? They kept this thing under wraps for about a month. And a whistleblower supposedly reported it was more widespread and cause more death than the Chinese gov't was reporting. The last thing Xi needs is a billion and a half ticked off Chinese knocking on his door. 

For those suggesting the hysteria to Wuhan virus is not political, consider the following. The 2009 Swine flu pandemic (H1N1) infected more than 60 million and resulted in more than 12000 deaths in the U.S. and more than a half million around the world. Yet, we didn't see anything remotely resembling the panic seen today.   Why is the reaction so vastly different today? What is the major difference between 2009 and 2019? Why was the media narrative so different then as opposed to now?  Yeah...we all know.  This is not to suggest that reasonable people cannot disagree about the most prudent way to address the problem. But to assert politics is not a major motivator is very naive.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-is-h1n1-swine-flu-770496

mrjoelabs likes this

The thing I really believe about the Chinese is that their overall numbers for this epidemic cannot be applied to the US health care system. Their research may be fine (the non traditional side), their training may be fine (again the non traditional side), but their numbers are just not applicable to the US.

2 minutes ago, HenryB said:

For those suggesting the hysteria to Wuhan virus is not political, consider the following. The 2009 Swine flu pandemic (H1N1) infected more than 60 million and resulted in more than 12000 deaths in the U.S. and more than a half million around the world. Yet, we didn't see anything remotely resembling the panic seen today.   Why is the reaction so vastly different today? What is the major difference between 2009 and 2019? Why was the media narrative so different then as opposed to now?  Yeah...we all know.  This is not to suggest that reasonable people cannot disagree about the most prudent way to address the problem. But to assert politics is not a major motivator is very naive.

Maybe the difference is we learned from H1N1 and we are trying to prevent 12,000 people from dying?

Just now, BilliesBy40 said:

Maybe the difference is we learned from H1N1 and we are trying to prevent 12,000 people from dying?

That was a particularly non lethal year for influenza, the death toll was well below average.

3 minutes ago, HenryB said:

What's the mortality rate of swine flu?  What's the mortality rate of COVID-19?  There's your answer.  

3 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

No, the difference is the party in power here in the USA.  I am no fan of DJT, I cast a ballot for bernie the other day, but when Obama was in office during the H1N1 nothing like this happened. And a whole lot of people died, albeit primarily those who were sick already. 

6 minutes ago, HenryB said:

I forgot it was the Cabal who started all this. I heard it was started in a Chinese Laboratory, too.