SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BIG10, AAC, SEC, MAC have have all cleared the courts.  MLS has suspended season.  NHL on ice officials have been told to book trips home. A10 players are complaining on Twitter for being told to play.

Any minute now.

A little history lesson below.  I heard about this on the radio yesterday and it's clearly the inspiration between the CDC curve graph I posted earlier.  This blurb is from Quartz, but I think it quickly captures the necessity of all of these actions.  

"In 1918, the city of Philadelphia threw a parade that killed thousands of people. Ignoring warnings of influenza among soldiers preparing for World War I, the march to support the war effort drew 200,000 people who crammed together to watch the procession. Three days later, every bed in Philadelphia’s 31 hospitals was filled with sick and dying patients, infected by the Spanish flu.

By the end of the week, more than 4,500 were dead in an outbreak that would claim as many as 100 million people worldwide. By the time Philadelphia’s politicians closed down the city, it was too late.

image.png?w=450&h=282&crop=1&strip=all&q
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences

A different story played out in St. Louis, just 900 miles away. Within two days of detecting its first cases among civilians, the city closed schools, playgrounds, libraries, courtrooms, and even churches. Work shifts were staggered and streetcar ridership was strictly limited. Public gatherings of more than 20 people were banned.

The extreme measures—now known as social distancing, which is being called for by global health agencies to mitigate the spread of the novel coronavirus—kept per capita flu-related deaths in St. Louis to less than half of those in Philadelphia, according to a 2007 paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences."

jimbofive likes this

4 minutes ago, ARon said:

BIG10, AAC, SEC, MAC have have all cleared the courts.  MLS has suspended season.  NHL on ice officials have been told to book trips home. A10 players are complaining on Twitter for being told to play.

Any minute now.

I'm curious, who was complaining?