SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Where I stand is this:  The virus isn't as bad as it sounds with everything going on. All this is about prevention and containment. 

Tell that to folks in Italy.

“The point of modern propaganda isn’t only to misinform or push an agenda,” says the Russian dissident and former world chess champion Garry Kasparov. “It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.”

ps: all this talk of biased news reports and false equivalencies among news sources is just silly, and is precisely what Kasparov is calling out here. Truth itself is non-partisan, folks.  Try growing a pair, wading through multiple expert sources, and discovering truth -- yeah? If you are unable to distinguish between sources, you may need to try harder.

2010andBeyond, ACE and billikenbill like this

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

"Fox News Crap" just puts you into the few trying to inject politics into the discussion. Lets just face it virtually all media outlets skew the facts to their agenda  by either or all of lying, omission, volume, etc …… It's pretty sad, but it's the way it is. 

Also do posters not understand the difference between troll and bad post?  You can disagree with Moy's post and think it's bad, but how the funk is Moy a troll?

calling Fox News crap, was meant to agitate people, so yes it is trolling.......

Clock_Tower and Billiken Rich like this

7 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I found this piece to be non-politically informative:  

Yes I saw it yesterday and found it informative -- and frightening.  I really am no expert but it is plausible this is going to get very bad.  Many experts are saying multiply by 10 in one week, then 100 2 weeks from today. Listen to this guy; it is pretty apolitical too, in case someone is sniffing around for "bias."

21 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Tell that to folks in Italy.

“The point of modern propaganda isn’t only to misinform or push an agenda,” says the Russian dissident and former world chess champion Garry Kasparov. “It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.”

ps: all this talk of biased news reports and false equivalencies among news sources is just silly, and is precisely what Kasparov is calling out here. Truth itself is non-partisan, folks.  Try growing a pair, wading through multiple expert sources, and discovering truth -- yeah? If you are unable to distinguish between sources, you may need to try harder.

I’m talking about here, not there 

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

The CDC put the chart out.  The experts testifying to Congress yesterday said the same thing.  The CDC got the information from the Chinese Center for Disease and Prevention.  So you lost the bet.

Oh my! you did answer the question. Chinese data is really all we have to go by at this time. However do you know anything about the structure of the Chinese Health care system? I presume that you do not know much if anything about it, but assume it is structured much like ours with hospitals, clinics, etc... That is correct but only in a superficial level. We have a standard system in terms that the medical  care received throughout the whole country is standardized. A Dr is a Dr, is a Dr. Yes, there are different specialties and different degrees of ability and competence from Dr to Dr but the type of medicine practiced is the same all over. Mind you homeopaths and voodo healers although present to some extent are neither numerous, nor included in this and whoever goes to see them, particularly in cities, does so voluntarily.

China is different, they have a tiered system. The top of society gets fully up to date and well equipped facilities with Drs practicing standard modern medicine in the American or European pattern. As you go down in the population status level things change. The bulk of the population receives what is called "traditional medicine", that is medicine and medical care like it has been practiced in China for centuries. No doubt there have been some changes introduced the likes of which are not known to me. They have schools and facilities for this kind of  medical care. The important thing to know and realize is that traditional Chinese medicine is very different from what is practiced in America.

So, my dear friend, do you think the mortality of Covid-19 cases coming out of these traditional Chinese medicine facilities is likely to be the same or better than the mortality than the  mortality of Covid-19 cases coming out of the top tier facilities? At best be honest and say you have no idea. If you are being honest, at least consider the extremely good possibility, in my opinion, that the mortality for Covid-19 coming out of the traditional Chinese medicine facilities is a lot worse than the mortality coming out of the standard American style facilities and practice.

So, there is a two tiered data stream coming out of China which includes tens of thousands of deaths, but is not broken down into style of medical care used to treat the  patients. THIS IS THE DATA AVAILABLE TO CDC before they testify  before Congress. Woopy Do!, what is a mother to do? The only thing they can do is to testify and explain to the Congress that according to the data available this is the level of mortality experienced in China, or expected in the US. They are not going to lie about this. Think about it, there was a clip posted here showing Fauci guessing about the mortality of Covid-19, he does not have reliable data at this time to base this calculation upon.

Is this level of mortality comparable to what will be experienced in the US, well and frankly speaking NO, IT IS NOT. Our mortality experience with  this bug will be different than Chinese mortality  because we do not have a two tiered system of health care. Again CDC is not lying to  Congress, they are doing their best effort to provide valid information given the type of (Chinese) data available to them at this time.

My point is that no one, including CDC, can say what the mortality will be (future tense please notice) in the US, there is insufficient data so far. I posted my expert estimate that the total Covd-19 mortality for the US would be below 26,000 for this year.

One last point cheeseman, you may have any opinion you want about me and you are welcome to it. But this is not fun and games, this is real and what I am trying to do, in a limited way of course, is to provide some reality that is in sharp contrast to the Salvador Dali surreal stuff being portrayed in the media. We all like stats and probability, we all talk about it endlessly. Well go ahead and try to do the research yourself. Try using this  link to the premier medical  research site in this country, the National Library of Medicine:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

Have fun, learn something, apply  your knowledge. This  is truly a much better thing to do than worry about anyone sneezing around you

Of the teams playing this weekend and the ones that will ultimately head to the tourney, I find it likely that a player and/or staff member is already infected.  If that's the case, then the team with the infected person will be quarantined as will the teams they played against. Domino effect.

32 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Maybe my statement should read almost every major media outlet. Are you contesting that there are numerous media outlets that lean heavily left? 

You may be one that cares enough to research where you get your info and if so, good for you, However, you're one of the few. 

Most journalists are left-leaning.  Their bosses and the corporations that finance major media are mostly right-leaning.  TV news is mostly editorializing.  If you want to get a better understanding of an issue, newspapers and magazines with supporting data from subject matter experts are still the best way to go. 

slufanskip, SLU_Lax and ACE like this

11 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Of the teams playing this weekend and the ones that will ultimately head to the tourney, I find it likely that a player and/or staff member is already infected.  If that's the case, then the team with the infected person will be quarantined as will the teams they played against. Domino effect.

Moytoy, my friend, they will only be found if they are tested. There are not enough test kits to test everyone that sniffles, or all of the members of every sports team in the country. See the problem? We have 400 confirmed cases, probably more since it increases every day. The chance of coming into contact is nil, that is unless people having confirmed cases persist in not keeping quarantine. People that do that should be forcefully quarantined in nice comfy  places like jails in the middle of the Mojave Desert.

The real point here is that we will never ever know how many people actually had the milder forms of the disease because a) they are not likely to die of it, they will just pass it along to someone else, and b) we simply do not have the ability to test everyone with symptoms. All we can really do to quantify this epidemic is to count the dead bodies that are known to have died from the disease.

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

Moytoy, my friend, they will only be found if they are tested. There are not enough test kits to test everyone that sniffles, or all of the members of every sports team in the country. See the problem? We have 400 confirmed cases, probably more since it increases every day. The chance of coming into contact is nil, that is unless people having confirmed cases persist in not keeping quarantine. People that do that should be forcefully quarantined in nice comfy  places like jails in the middle of the Mojave Desert.

The real point here is that we will never ever know how many people actually had the milder forms of the disease because we simply do not have the ability to test everyone with symptoms. All we can really do to quantify this epidemic is to count the dead bodies that are known to have died from the disease.

Fair points.  It does sound like Quest and LabCorp have ramped up testing in certain areas, specifically in California and Washington.  Notably, Cal, Stanford (eliminated yesterday) and Washington (eliminated yesterday) are playing in the Pac-12 tourney.  Each of the schools are located in some of the harder it areas.  Just saying, the recipe is out there for my scenario to happen and it doesn't take a large leap of faith to envision. 

Regarding the death rate, if you haven't read the article previously posted and linked here, I highly recommend it. 

They should play march madness with no fans, whatever it makes off of TV it should donate a large portion to CDC or who ever.  They'll still make more than they would have by cancelling, and do a good deed along the way.

15 hours ago, mdscott24 said:

Tens of thousands have died from the regular flu, which we have vaccines for. No one cancelling anything there. 

Over 50 percent of the high risk patients, who already have some immunity get the vaccine for Influenza.  There are anti-viral treatments that have a known beneficial effect on influenza.  That is why there is no panic and things do not get cancelled.  Get past denial, your family needs you to.

36 minutes ago, Old guy said:

... One last point cheeseman, you may have any opinion you want about me and you are welcome to it. But this is not fun and games, this is real and what I am trying to do, in a limited way of course, is to provide some reality that is in sharp contrast to the Salvador Dali surreal stuff being portrayed in the media. We all like stats and probability, we all talk about it endlessly. Well go ahead and try to do the research yourself. Try using this  link to the premier medical  research site in this country, the National Library of Medicine:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

Have fun, learn something, apply  your knowledge. This  is truly a much better thing to do than worry about anyone sneezing around you

And boom goes the dynamite. 💥

Politicizing, or even thinking this crisis has anything to do with politics is ridiculous. If you can’t understand what is at stake, the only hope for you would be to return to first grade and begin again.

Old guy likes this