SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

If you can risk getting stranded somewhere for a month or more if a travel ban is issued and then deal with being in quarantine when you get back.

Yeah maybe not international travel but if I were younger and single (which is what I should have clarified in my original post) I'm not sure the chance of this happening would deter me.

3 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Actually, flights and hotels are still ridiculous (relatively speaking). 

Interesting. I've been looking at a flight in June (SWA) and it's 30% cheaper now than it was 2 weeks ago. Obviously that could be due to many factors. I'd imagine hotels and flights are still ridiculous since it's spring break season.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

this is stupid.  if it is this bad, let's all just stay in our homes and play solitare.   no one works no one shops no one does anything.

snowflakes.  

there are more people with the flu in nyc then this virus in america.   where is the flu panic?

wHeRE Is tHe fLU pAnIc?

Jesus Christ.

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

You know there is perverse inverse logic to this. When business is good, and the salesmen (car, travel, what have you) are trying to meet a monthly or quarterly quota to improve their income or bonus, the prices go down. A cruise ship with a few empty cabins will provide a good discount before departure time.

However, if you have an economic recession going on, the new cars are parked on the lots unsold and the total number of units sold is minimal, they will try to get as much as they can out of each sale. Same thing applies for hotel rooms when the hotel is really having trouble filling rooms.

The idea here is that if you are buying cars or traveling at that time, you need to do it for whatever reason and they will try to get  as much as they can.

On road trips I would wait as late as possible before walking into a hotel with no reservation. I'd then push for them to basically give me 2 nights for the price of one. It worked a lot more than you'd think it would.

I've also found, my personal experience,  that if a hotel was clearly well below their standard occupancy then you had room to negotiate. Higher occupancy rates mean happier bosses for these people.

I'm also pretty confident that you'll see dramatic price drops on sites like VRBO and AirBnb, where the owners set their own pricing. A lot these people need some income, even if it's 70% of what they'd usually charge for that particular week/season.

Also read that you are (were?) a doc, old guy! Intermittent bleeding when wiping...cause for concern? 

this is stupid.  if it is this bad, let's all just stay in our homes and play solitare.   no one works no one shops no one does anything.

snowflakes.  

there are more people with the flu in nyc then this virus in america.   where is the flu panic?

For people in the high risk group, that is exactly what the CDC recommends they do.  The CDC says this group includes: Older adults and People who have heart disease, diabetes, lung disease and other chronic medical conditions.  This is likely many Billikens fans given the ages of fans I see at games.  

Look on the internet to see what happens with people who get very sick from the disease.  It is not a pretty picture - bilateral pneumonia, breathing from a ventilator, intubated, lesions on your lungs.  Here is a post from a doctor in Italy about how devastating the disease is and how quickly his hospital filled with patients:  https://nypost.com/2020/03/10/italian-doctor-at-heart-of-illness-shares-chilling-coronavirus-thoughts/

Seems to me we should do everything we can to slow the spread of the disease or things will get worse like they have in Italy.

snowflakes.  

Using “snowflakes” really strengthens the “argument.”  As for the rest of this post, read the 70 other posts that debunk whatever Fox News crap you’re trying to spread. 

rgbilliken likes this

23 minutes ago, mdscott24 said:

Tens of thousands have died from the regular flu, which we have vaccines for. No one cancelling anything there. 

Not an expert but I think this is another reason for their decision. There is no vaccine for this particular strain of coronavirus.

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Yeah maybe not international travel but if I were younger and single (which is what I should have clarified in my original post) I'm not sure the chance of this happening would deter me.

Interesting. I've been looking at a flight in June (SWA) and it's 30% cheaper now than it was 2 weeks ago. Obviously that could be due to many factors. I'd imagine hotels and flights are still ridiculous since it's spring break season.

Hope those kids who jumped on cheap international fares had return flights schedule before Saturday.

For those of you doing so - what's the advantage of downplaying this thing? What's in it for you?

So far, every hot take downplaying it has been wrong. Whether it was when it first broke in China, when it first broke here, that it's just like the seasonal flu, just like the common cold, just a week away from being over - they've all been wrong, and often in under a day.

We're up to 37 deaths and over 1,000 confirmed cases in the U.S. as of an hour ago. We've tested almost no one. As someone said before, it's a math problem. There are undiagnosed cases walking around everywhere. Because we were completely unprepared when this hit, it's going to continue to get worse before it gets better. Unfortunately social isolation seems like the only solution for now.

So circling back to my original question, and I'm asking this sincerely: What's the upside to acting like this isn't a big deal?

Bizziken and RUBillsFan like this

4 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Not true. Airlines are canceling flights to adjust to lowered demand.

Perhaps. Luckily none of the flights I have planned over the next 2 months have been cancelled. Also lucky enough to be tracking 2 fights this June that are a lot cheaper now than they were 2 weeks ago (but that could be for many reasons).

I'm very confident that you will be able to find a lot of great deals on sites such as VRBO and AirBnB this summer. Pricing is set by owner and many of those owners need some sort of rental income to offset expenses, even if that means cutting weekly rates significantly to fill up vacancies. If you don't mind the stress of having you entire trip booked but your lodging, waiting last minute can bring you some pretty sweet deals on VRBO.

34 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Using “snowflakes” really strengthens the “argument.”  As for the rest of this post, read the 70 other posts that debunk whatever Fox News crap you’re trying to spread. 

This has nothing to do with Fox News. They are over hyping the situation like the rest of the outlets. 

33 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

What Fox News crap are you referring to? Your political bias sure is showing with comments like that.

CBFan likes this

34 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Not an expert but I think this is another reason for their decision. There is no vaccine for this particular strain of coronavirus.

That was my point basically. Vaccines for regular flu are worthless anyway.

3 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Perhaps. Luckily none of the flights I have planned over the next 2 months have been cancelled. Also lucky enough to be tracking 2 fights this June that are a lot cheaper now than they were 2 weeks ago (but that could be for many reasons).

I'm very confident that you will be able to find a lot of great deals on sites such as VRBO and AirBnB this summer. Pricing is set by owner and many of those owners need some sort of rental income to offset expenses, even if that means cutting weekly rates significantly to fill up vacancies. If you don't mind the stress of having you entire trip booked but your lodging, waiting last minute can bring you some pretty sweet deals on VRBO.

It’s quite literally happening. I don’t doubt anything else you posted. 

36 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

In fairness to those on the right and Fox News, Hannity was basically the only person playing down the virus itself on that network and most don’t take Hannity seriously.

9 minutes ago, mdscott24 said:

That was my point basically. Vaccines for regular flu are worthless anyway.

Bad post. Even if you get the flu after having been vaccinated, the vaccine can still dramatically lessen the severity of symptoms.  The vaccines can also do a great deal to protect your elderly relatives who are more vulnerable to the more severe symptoms. 

So no, the flu vaccine is not "worthless." 

RUBillsFan likes this