SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

this is stupid.  if it is this bad, let's all just stay in our homes and play solitare.   no one works no one shops no one does anything.

snowflakes.  

there are more people with the flu in nyc then this virus in america.   where is the flu panic?

Roy I understand your political position but honestly we all have to put where we stand aside and approach this issue from a non political position.  The experts are the ones who are recommending social limitation.  We have history with this and it is clear that limiting social interaction decreases the chance of any virus from spreading by a large amount. Given that this virus has been shown to kill at a 10 times higher rate than the flu we must simply be smarter about how we respond as a society.  There are segments of our population who die at a 15-20% rate so we must approach this in a manner that protects all of us.  I am just as disappointed as anyone that steps like this have to be taken but lets do it now so we can mitigate the disaster that could ensue.  Don't be surprised that soon many will be working from home and restaurants and entertainment locations will simply be shut down.  

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Roy I understand your political position but honestly we all have to put where we stand aside and approach this issue from a non political position.  The experts are the ones who are recommending social limitation.  We have history with this and it is clear that limiting social interaction decreases the chance of any virus from spreading by a large amount. Given that this virus has been shown to kill at a 10 times higher rate than the flu we must simply be smarter about how we respond as a society.  There are segments of our population who die at a 15-20% rate so we must approach this in a manner that protects all of us.  I am just as disappointed as anyone that steps like this have to be taken but lets do it now so we can mitigate the disaster that could ensue.  Don't be surprised that soon many will be working from home and restaurants and entertainment locations will simply be shut down.  

Come on Cheeseman, who are the "experts" that say this thing has 10X the mortality rate of influenza? Where did they get their data from? I bet you cannot answer either question.

5 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Come on Cheeseman, who are the "experts" that say this thing has 10X the mortality rate of influenza? Where did they get their data from? I bet you cannot answer either question.

The World Health Organization estimated it at 3.4%. I would consider them to be "experts". That number is obviously still evolving and could go up or down. 

This isn't some conspiracy theory. People are dying at an alarming rate, based on the knowledge we have so far. 

2 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Right now, the mortality rate is varying widely from country.  China's getting better.  Italy and Iran are getting worse.  The mortality rate in Italy is about 4%.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/5799586/italy-coronavirus-outbreak/%3famp=true

That's actually 40 times higher than the 0.1% rate for the flu.  We have vaccines to treat the flu.  We have nothing to treat coronavirus.

Fauci  is a real expert I agree and he is guessing what the mortality rate is. Note he says it really is closer to 1%. This is correct. I actually spent a couple of months during residency working at the NIAID and my team was headed by (then a very young) Fauci. He is good.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Right now, the mortality rate is varying widely from country.  China's getting better.  Italy and Iran are getting worse.  The mortality rate in Italy is about 4%.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/5799586/italy-coronavirus-outbreak/%3famp=true

That's actually 40 times higher than the 0.1% rate for the flu.  We have vaccines to treat the flu.  We have nothing to treat coronavirus.

Sorry 3 star this is journalism, not expert stuff.

33 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

No stinking virus will keep the Rammer away.

That’s how we stop this thing.

The virus tries to infect Rammer and his He-Man blood will cause the entire strain to slowly die off.

After this episode is over and we are done with this epidemic, I will guess that the US death toll will be below 26,000. At this point in time it is like guessing the win loss results for the Bills during summer. Feel free to ridicule me if I am wrong when all is said and done.

12 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Fauci  is a real expert I agree and he is guessing what the mortality rate is. Note he says it really is closer to 1%. This is correct. I actually spent a couple of months during residency working at the NIAID and my team was headed by (then a very young) Fauci. He is good.

Even if his guess is right 1% is still 10x higher than the flu mortality rate.

12 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Why don't we wait until the end of the epidemic this year and then count the dead bodies. I already gave my total death estimate above. I am not going to say Fauci is bad, but he is guessing at this time, just like I am.

I'm sure the decision makers wish they had that luxury.  They're making life and death decisions in real time.  We're engaging in hypotheticals.  We can afford to be wrong.

This really sucks... it’s the right decision but it sucks for the fans. Imagine being a Rutgers fan, waiting 31 years for them to make the tourney, just for fans not to be allowed.

I honestly wonder if they will delay it for a month or two when it gets warmer and have the tourney then if it gets bad enough.