SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Now what’s going to happen is we’ll go on a run and sent to Enterprise and we won’t be able to go

omg I cant shake this thought now 

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I've seen a few media people hypothesize that games will be televised with no announcers and no sound 

I don't see why you wouldn't have announcers and sound.  The house mics won't take anyone extra to set up and you can have the announcers do the game from a studio.

25 minutes ago, wgstl said:

-okay, I imagine the thoughts are stewing in various locales on how to exploit the phrase "essential staff and limited family" -- I wonder if it is possible that say, oh, a school from a few miles away might know someone at, for example, PNC Arena that allows for a bunch of blue-clad "essential staff and limited family" to be in attendance when they take the court -- yes, I read the SN article that they haven't played first round in NC since 2015

-I hope we get the same type of relationship with an usher at Enterprise

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Is it possible that they will take this round by round? 

I don't think so.  I think this is it.  I think this is just the start of the announcements of this type.  Other leagues and organizations are just getting their ducks in a row before they make an announcement.   I'm guessing phone calls were made this afternoon informing people the President's speech tonight will call for the end mass gatherings of people like sporting events until they think this crisis has passed.  

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't see why you wouldn't have announcers and sound.  The house mics won't take anyone extra to set up and you can have the announcers do the game from a studio.

I think the reference to media attendance still has more to do with how much access media will have to the teams.  Not that the games will be played in front of single unmoving camera with no play-by-play.

Ill be in Enterprise Center for round 1.

I just ordered a Hazmat suit from Amazon and am making a Center for Disease control ID badge. 
Im going to walk right in like I own the place.

Enjoy watching from home suckers!

Just now, dlarry said:

Ill be in Enterprise Center for round 1.

I just ordered a Hazmat suit from Amazon and am making a Center for Disease control ID badge. 
Im going to walk right in like I own the place.

Enjoy watching from home suckers!

id be lying if I said I didnt hop on amazon to see if they sell basic yellow event jackets. 

this is stupid.  if it is this bad, let's all just stay in our homes and play solitare.   no one works no one shops no one does anything.

snowflakes.  

there are more people with the flu in nyc then this virus in america.   where is the flu panic?

CBFan, drkelsey55 and AGB91 like this

Just now, billiken_roy said:

this is stupid.  if it is this bad, let's all just stay in our homes and play solitare.   no one works no one shops no one does anything.

snowflakes.  

there are more people with the flu in nyc then this virus in america.   where is the flu panic?

The above ^^ is a less than intelligent post.

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I've read so many snippets on the coronavirus the past few days, I can't remember if it was from an article referenced here or not....but if you're a healthy young specimen, now is the time to travel. Obviously you would want to avoid places such as China, Italy, etc. but I'd have to imagine there are some pretty amazing deals out there right now. 

You know there is perverse inverse logic to this. When business is good, and the salesmen (car, travel, what have you) are trying to meet a monthly or quarterly quota to improve their income or bonus, the prices go down. A cruise ship with a few empty cabins will provide a good discount before departure time.

However, if you have an economic recession going on, the new cars are parked on the lots unsold and the total number of units sold is minimal, they will try to get as much as they can out of each sale. Same thing applies for hotel rooms when the hotel is really having trouble filling rooms.

The idea here is that if you are buying cars or traveling at that time, you need to do it for whatever reason and they will try to get  as much as they can.

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

snowflakes.  

Not practical Roy, you eventually run out of food and toilet paper.

42 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

See, this is bizarre. People are driving/flying from everywhere. If games are okay to be played in NYC on Sunday, I have a hard time believing it won't work everywhere else by next weekend.

Approximately 1 million people attend the NCAA tournament. There may be 50,000 attendees for an entire A10 tournament.  You're comparing apples to watermelons.