SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

Starting to think a lot of people are working from home now.  Traffic was noticeably lighter today on my way in this morning.  That was true not only on the highway, but in downtown itself.  Parking lot was less filled than normal this morning, too.

dlarry and ARon like this

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Starting to think a lot of people are working from home now.  Traffic was noticeably lighter today on my way in this morning.  That was true not only on the highway, but in downtown itself.  Parking lot was less filled than normal this morning, too.

We must have been driving together. Had the same thought 

28 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

This graphic has made its rounds.  It's what brianstl was preaching and what the Holiday Inn Express patrons on this board seem not to grasp.

20200229_FBC978.png

32 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It's also spring break for many schools.

1 hour ago, disgruntledbilliken said:

I don't get this take. You admit that cancellation and isolation "may stop the rapid spread of the virus." But then you say "I choose to continue my life as if there is no outbreak and my belief is that so should the folks like myself that want to attend events and travel." 

So yes, you understand that measures can have a benefit, but oh well? I'm not quite sure what the solution is either. But to say that your belief is that everyone should continue their life as if there is no outbreak seems...silly and irresponsible?

What is irresponsible is your lack of reading comprehension skills.

What is irresponsible is mischaracterizing what I said and a silly snarky response.

Now for some help, I used the word may because I am not sure and neither are you that cancellation and isolation will help so until the people that do know tell me otherwise I will continue to live my life that includes going to events and travel you can stay isolated and disgruntled.

Also, I said folks like me not everyone if they chose to will continue to live life as there is no outbreak.  You live the life you want and I will live mine.

I don’t get your uninformed take of my post.

1 hour ago, DoctorB said:

Thanks for that!

14 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Now for some help, I used the word may because I am not sure and neither are you that cancellation and isolation will help so until the people that do know tell me otherwise I will continue to live my life that includes going to events and travel you can stay isolated and disgruntled.

Who is a person (or organization) that could tell you otherwise that you would believe? Serious question. 

disgruntledbilliken likes this

30 minutes ago, CBFan said:

What is irresponsible is your lack of reading comprehension skills.

What is irresponsible is mischaracterizing what I said and a silly snarky response.

Also, I said folks like me not everyone if they chose to will continue to live life as there is no outbreak.  You live the life you want and I will live mine.

I don’t get your uninformed take of my post.

Univiersities have cancelled face to face classes. States have declared emergencies. Countries have restricted travel. Cities are cancelling large gatherings. Keep on waiting on "the people that know" to say something. And please let me know!

My work is a contract research organization. One of the projects right now is studying coronavirus as a contractor for the US govt. They did a reddit AMA for those interested. I don’t work in that division (I’m on the pharma R&D and analysis side), so I am not an expert, but the people answering these questions are. 

Matty Light, majerus mojo and JMM28 like this

2 hours ago, SShoe said:

This graphic has made its rounds.  It's what brianstl was preaching and what the Holiday Inn Express patrons on this board seem not to grasp.

20200229_FBC978.png

This graphic seems to say that the same number of people will get Coronavirus, but that delaying the spread lessens the impact of the peak.  This would, as others have said, prevent the availability of medical treatment from being spread too thin.  Seeing this and hearing and reading a lot of information that has been disseminated on this board has me coming around, a bit, on the topic of essentially cancelling all human interaction for the purpose of accomplishing what the chart shows.  I'm still not sold on destroying our economy and hiding in our homes, but I do understand this position more now than I did before.  It's a tough call.  On one had, you slow the spread of the virus to make it more manageable.  On the other hand you hurt world economies that will be relied upon to provide the money necessary to help combat the virus and help the victims.  It's an interesting debate.

moytoy12 likes this

The VA is preparing to lock down specific immunocompromised units at John Cochran and Jefferson Barracks, with all personnel being temperature scanned prior to entry and upon exit. If there is any community transmission of Covid, the lockdown will move to the front gates, with the attendant screening.

This is getting serious pretty fast. The medical community is not joking around.

10 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

This graphic seems to say that the same number of people will get Coronavirus, but that delaying the spread lessens the impact of the peak.  This would, as others have said, prevent the availability of medical treatment from being spread too thin.  Seeing this and hearing and reading a lot of information that has been disseminated on this board has me coming around, a bit, on the topic of essentially cancelling all human interaction for the purpose of accomplishing what the chart shows.  I'm still not sold on destroying our economy and hiding in our homes, but I do understand this position more now than I did before.  It's a tough call.  On one had, you slow the spread of the virus to make it more manageable.  On the other hand you hurt world economies that will be relied upon to provide the money necessary to help combat the virus and help the victims.  It's an interesting debate.

It will be interesting to see how things are in Italy a few weeks from now.  It doesn’t sound like they’ve gone so far as to say “stay in your homes” as they did in Wuhan.  People are still allowed to go to work.  But they’ve locked down travel and large gatherings.

There would still be a slowing effect on much of the economy.  Airline bailouts are probably a question of when and not if at this point.  But other industries could potentially bounce back fairly quickly with economic activity having been more deferred than reduced.

brianstl likes this

19 minutes ago, ARon said:

It will be interesting to see how things are in Italy a few weeks from now.  It doesn’t sound like they’ve gone so far as to say “stay in your homes” as they did in Wuhan.  People are still allowed to go to work.  But they’ve locked down travel and large gatherings.

There would still be a slowing effect on much of the economy.  Airline bailouts are probably a question of when and not if at this point.  But other industries could potentially bounce back fairly quickly with economic activity having been more deferred than reduced.

The problem will be getting supply chains back up and running.  I know some companies have worked at dramatically cutting their supply chains over the last few years and I hope this encourages more to follow suit. Disruption of long supply chains really can have long lasting negative impact on the economy, not to mention the risk they can put this country at when it comes to getting needed medical supplies and other items.  

47 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

I doubt many people care about the CBI that much, so this makes sense, was pretty a no brainer step to take and is totally understandable.  That being said, still a bummer for fans of programs who might have competed in the CBI and the younger players who would have gained some additional single elimination tourney experience or seniors who would've gotten a few last games.  I'm certainly glad that SLU is in position for hopefully the NCAA if not the NIT because I think getting single elimination experience for our team will be very beneficial for next year.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Actually I read another article that had a similar graph but it specifically pointed out that by limiting social interaction, you can decrease the spread of the virus by as much as 7-8 times of not limiting.  That graph you are referencing is kind of hard to read.

The graphic is great.  The information is great.  Why not use your substantial air time to attack the pandemic spreading information on preventive measures.  No problem with that.  What the news media focuses on every night is how many people in the States have it, in my state, in my county.  That's fanning the hysteria flames.  

rgbilliken and SLU_Nick like this