SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

24 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The goal isn't to totally prevent the spread of the virus.  The goal is to slow the spread enough to stop the healthcare system from collapsing by being overwhelmed with too many patients at one time.  If you don't slow down the spread you will look like Italy right now where people are not only dying from the virus, but dying because they can't get proper treatment for other issues because the system is overwhelmed.  The biggest issue with COVID-19 isn't the amount of people that die from it, it is the massive percentage of people who have it that need to be hospitalized.

the average age of someone dying from the virus is 80....this whole thing is a political ploy...the overwhelming majority who contract the virus have extremely mild symptoms and don't even know they are carrying it...this is mainly a media driven event...... for some perspective, deaths from flu in the United States average between 16,000 - 61,000 per year depending on the strain........

BilliKat, CBFan and dennis_w like this

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

the average age of someone dying from the virus is 80....this whole thing is a political ploy...the overwhelming majority who contract the virus have extremely mild symptoms and don't even know they are carrying it...this is mainly a media driven event...... for some perspective, deaths from flu in the United States average between 16,000 - 61,000 per year depending on the strain........

So you think what is happening in Italy is a ploy?  You think China welded people shut in apartment buildings as a ploy?

19 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Clearly there isn't an overwhelming consensus either way in the medical community about how effective these measures are so the decision-makers will continue to err on the side of caution.  Even if these measures are only 5% effective, that can be the difference between hospitals being able to serve the public or grinding to a standstill.

I think that there is a consensus among doctors that shutting down everything isn't going to stop the spread, or slow it down much.  However, in our society where we have a media that is driven by juicy scandals rather than reporting the truth, not many in the medical community are going to put themselves out there by saying that there's no point in locking ourselves in our homes.  If the AMA issued a statement saying that canceling large events will not stop the spread of the disease, CNN would roast them in a few months with stories about people getting sick saying that they attended an NBA game three weeks before contracting it.  The media would turn it into a "scandal" claiming the AMA was wrong about its statement or pressured by big money to issue it.  The NBA and other leagues will get hammered by the media for not canceling all of its games.  The reality would be that none of that would have mattered, but the media will go after the juicy story and those all important clicks regardless.  This is why no one in the medical community is willing to put themselves out there and tell the truth that it all won't make that much difference.

dennis_w likes this

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I think that there is a consensus among doctors that shutting down everything isn't going to stop the spread, or slow it down much.  However, in our society where we have a media that is driven by juicy scandals rather than reporting the truth, not many in the medical community are going to put themselves out there by saying that there's no point in locking ourselves in our homes.  If the AMA issued a statement saying that canceling large events will not stop the spread of the disease, CNN would roast them in a few months with stories about people getting sick saying that they attended an NBA game three weeks before contracting it.  The media would turn it into a "scandal" claiming the AMA was wrong about its statement or pressured by big money to issue it.  The NBA and other leagues will get hammered by the media for not canceling all of its games.  The reality would be that none of that would have mattered, but the media will go after the juicy story and those all important clicks regardless.  This is why no one in the medical community is willing to put themselves out there and tell the truth that it all won't make that much difference.

We get it, you don't trust the media...and for what it's worth Doctors =/= Public Health Professionals. Now let's get back to Bubble Watch.

34 minutes ago, brianstl said:

So you think what is happening in Italy is a ploy?  You think China welded people shut in apartment buildings as a ploy?

try being honest Brian...i never said the virus was a ploy, i said the out of control reaction is a ploy....i noticed you ignored my statistics on the flu.....should we cancel events because of the fear of acquiring the flu virus???? you are far more likely to get sick and die from that, than the Coronavirus.....that said, stay home and barricade yourself from life if you feel the need.....

I want to make a post about the cancellation of major sports events because of the virus. I am really not interested in the least in the discussion whether this is justified or not. I do think it will alter the results of events this year and funnel money into teams that did now win it the normal way. For example, the NCAA pays every participating team a fee of $1 M for each game played, win or lose. If they cancel the tournament, how are they going to apportion this money?, will they just keep it for themselves?, will they split it evenly among all the schools?. To me, this type of discussion is not worthwhile, fans have already bought tickets for the events. If they want to return the money and cause them to cancel their plans that is fine with me. One point that must be understood is that Ivy League athletic events (possibly not including the Harvard Yale football game and the rowing regatta among the Ivys in the  Charles River) are largely ignored or given little attention at the schools. Social correctness is much more important there, so it makes a lot of sense for them to cancel the event.

I prefer to take the point of view that the events or tournaments will take place as scheduled and plan accordingly until  it is officially announced that a given event or tournament is cancelled. I expect to be excited and pleased by results of the A10 tournament, and perhaps the Dance.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

As further back up for what I am saying, Iran is one of the hardest hit nations.  Half of their population wears garments which cover the mouth.  Despite this, its spreading like wildfire there.  If it cannot be controlled in Iran, cancelling big events here is not going to slow it down either.

I don't know where you are getting this.  If you are referring to women wearing the hijab, it does not cover the mouth or even the face.  And that is the strict sharia tradition.  Progressive Persian women will where a vail on their head, but it won't even cover all of their hair.

55 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Except social distancing does make a difference. I recommend educating yourself on how impactful social distancing was in helping St. Louis limit the spread of the Spanish Flu. Until then, please stop spouting about topics on which you are clueless.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6140242/

Crewsorlose likes this

3 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

I don't know where you are getting this.  If you are referring to women wearing the hijab, it does not cover the mouth or even the face.  And that is the strict sharia tradition.  Progressive Persian women will where a vail on their head, but it won't even cover all of their hair.

i work for a company actively studying the coronavirus. Even if half the population is wearing a full burka I doubt the material is rated to capture droplets containing the virus. per the WHO, even surgical masks are not effective unless coupled with copious hand washing, taking measures to not touch your face, and switching the mask out really often.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Hey people, the A10 tournament starts tomorrow, Wednesday. So far there have been no announcements regarding any reschedules or cancellations. No statements about playing to an empty arena have been posted. I think it is a bit late to cancel the whole show but we will find out tomorrow.

Please relax. Check the A10 news tomorrow morning. If there is no cancellation notice posted, we are safe. The tournament, I think, will start as advertised with fan attendance or no fan attendance (please look for announcements regarding fan attendance at the A10 site). If no one shows up, they still have the TV fees to cover expenses. I believe that, as of now, you can count on (at the very least) having a TV feed of the games.

As many know, Saint Louis University is temporarily suspending face-to-face classes next week.  The topic of the Corona virus has already been raised in different threads.  To keep these threads more focused -  I ask that discussion regarding the Corona Virus be contained to this thread.

Per usual, please refrain from political attacks and discussion.

2 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

As many know, Saint Louis University is temporarily suspending face-to-face classes next week.  The topic of the Corona virus has already been raised in different threads.  To keep these threads more focused -  I ask that discussion regarding the Corona Virus be contained to this thread.

So you’re quarantining the coronavirus (discussion)

Nice. 

RUBillsFan and rgbilliken like this

A lot of these conference tournaments could hardly be called “mass gatherings”.  In fact if a limit is set around 1000 people like in Santa Clara, well some of these games would have less than that anyway.

In terms of the thinking around slowing the spread of the infections, you want to talk to epidemiologists, not doctors.   Epidemiologists will use examples like this to explain why limiting mass gatherings is the preferred strategy.  https://www.biomerieuxconnection.com/2018/10/25/how-public-health-policies-saved-citizens-in-st-louis-during-the-1918-flu-pandemic/

rgbilliken likes this

1 hour ago, SluSignGuy said:

1 hour ago, SluSignGuy said:

I used the word "contained" ;)

SLU as in the University (a corporation) and its academic side will do exactly whatever the administration decides it will do. They may lend an ear to what the faculty or employees or even students ask to happen, but the  decision is the administration's. Once that decision is reached that is the way it will be. From my point of view in terms of how well the measures adopted by the University will prevent spread of the virus, I think they are sorely lacking. Why?, because a lot of students live in dorms and mingle at local joints, the student center, etc. If the administration wants to avoid contact and spread of the virus effectively, they should limit contact of the students, faculty, staff, and employees with each other and with other people. What SLU is doing is not effective as a measure to prevent contact and spread.

Look at the complete imbecile at Ladue that apparently decided quarantine (which his lawyer claims he did not receive) did not apply to him, his daughter (who had tested positve for the bug), or his family. They actually went to a party they threw themselves or went to someone else's party, to a school dance, and to numerous businesses in the area. He has by his actions created a huge amount of disinfection expenses to the businesses, private homes, and the school where the party was.

As long as what you (Steve) want to do is to contain the present discussion to this thread, all is OK.

One more point, please do not use the word containment casually in regards to this or any other epidemic. You have no idea what epidemic containment entails. You do not want to let this genie out of the bottle until it is really necessary.

10 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

One of the doctors I spoke with basically told me that everyone's going to get it within the next two years no matter what we do.  All of us carry versions of the cold and versions of influenza (the flu) with us all the time.  We also carry versions of coronavirus that isn't number 19.  We're all getting it eventually.

Apparently that doctor knows nothing about public health/epidemiology.  Or is greatly prone to exaggeration. 

Everyone is going to get a disease with a 3.4% mortality rate within two years?  So 11.1 million Americans will die of this in the next 2 years?  Damn, that will suck.

Yes, we all have been exposed to various coronaviruses before, because many colds are caused by them.  But everyone in the world is never hit by the same virus over a two year period.  That's never happened.

BilliesBy40 likes this