SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

This virus is starting to remind me of the alien substance in the great book and movie, “The Andromeda Strain.”

Better hope we don’t hit “601”.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Spoonball18 said:

There are 2 strains of the Coronavirus, and it’s mutating...just sayin’ 

Well, technically, there are a several strains of Coronavirus virus. SARS was a Coronavirus. We’ve know about Coronaviruses since the 60’s and most often, it’s equivalent to the “common cold.” It’s called “Coronavirus” because the actual virus organisms look like little balls with little prongs coming off of it, like a the coronas of the sun, or the little prongs on a crown. But I wouldn’t count out a zombie apocalypse just yet...

9 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Wasn’t quite sure where to put this, maybe it needs a new thread.

-did the folks in New Haven think they might not win and therefore lose their spot in the dance? this seems an overreaction but perhaps I am under-reacting as I am going to high school games tomorrow, if they allow fans, just not sure where 

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Austin just cancelled events with 2,500 or more people. No known cases in Austin. Given that the tourney is in NYC, I’m certainly nervous that something may be done with the A10 tourney.  Maybe they exclude fans? 

Just now, moytoy12 said:

Austin just cancelled events with 2,500 or more people. No known cases in Austin. Given that the tourney is in NYC, I’m certainly nervous that something may be done with the A10 tourney.  Maybe they exclude fans? 

That I think is a real possibility.  I think there is too much money involved with TV programming for them to cancel the tournament outright.  

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

No fans would benefit us as Bonawelding and Dayton will have a lot more.

No fans would make for a very very weird atmosphere.  I think we've actually played better in hostile environments (@ Rhody, @ Dayton, @ Richmond, vs K-State in KC) than we have in relatively empty gyms / arenas (@ DUQ, @ LaSalle, @St. Joes).  Therefore, I'm not ready to say that a playing in an empty arena would benefit us.

-playing games, very important games, with no fans would be really weird to watch and probably strange as well for the players

-the refs might like it that no fans are screaming at them and come to think of it a benefit could be hearing clearly what the coaches are barking at the refs

-would there be a pa announcer?

I have to say I'm not surprised. Lots of international sporting events have either been canceled or played in empty arenas. I just saw that they canceled one of the biggest non-grand slam pro tennis tournaments that was set to take place in CA. sounds like the NBA is making some changes to protect players, like not letting media in locker rooms and increasing space between players and fans. SXSW which is a huge event was canceled. one of the biggest trade shows in the industry i work in was just canceled because pfizer and johnson and johnson pulled out. if they make any alterations to the A10 tourney i hope they opt for some of the changes the NBA is making rather than canceling the tourney. i have to agree with whoever said there's too much money in the TV broadcast for them to cancel, so at least we have that in our favor, but bottom line i will be very sad if i don't get to watch more billiken basketball this year and feel very sorry for our players if they have their season abruptly cut short. 

28 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

I have to say I'm not surprised. Lots of international sporting events have either been canceled or played in empty arenas. I just saw that they canceled one of the biggest non-grand slam pro tennis tournaments that was set to take place in CA. sounds like the NBA is making some changes to protect players, like not letting media in locker rooms and increasing space between players and fans. SXSW which is a huge event was canceled. one of the biggest trade shows in the industry i work in was just canceled because pfizer and johnson and johnson pulled out. if they make any alterations to the A10 tourney i hope they opt for some of the changes the NBA is making rather than canceling the tourney. i have to agree with whoever said there's too much money in the TV broadcast for them to cancel, so at least we have that in our favor, but bottom line i will be very sad if i don't get to watch more billiken basketball this year and feel very sorry for our players if they have their season abruptly cut short. 

Europe loves themselves empty stadium games.

41 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

No fans would make for a very very weird atmosphere.  I think we've actually played better in hostile environments (@ Rhody, @ Dayton, @ Richmond, vs K-State in KC) than we have in relatively empty gyms / arenas (@ DUQ, @ LaSalle, @St. Joes).  Therefore, I'm not ready to say that a playing in an empty arena would benefit us.

I agree. We feed off the energy. Positive or negative.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

No fans would make for a very very weird atmosphere.

The Grand Sumo tournament in Japan, one of the biggest sporting events of the year, is currently taking place with no fans in the stadium.  [check it out on Youtube @ Kintamayama and elsewhere...]. Very weird to say the least; hauntingly silent besides the yelling of the refs.  Academic and other conferences are being canceled or relocated into the fall or 2021.  I'm not into making this political but I do wonder about all this hysteria.  And what's the deal with toilet paper?? My colleague in the northern UK just reported to me this morning that they are also having runs on toilet paper...

This is all so ridiculous.  I've spoken with three friends that are doctors.  They all told me that no matter what sort of quarantining we do, the virus will continue to spread.  These sorts of efforts aren't going to stop it.  What we will do is destroy our economy all in the false hope of containing this thing when it cannot really be contained.  Then, when the world economy is crap, we won't have nearly the resources to fight it the way we should be.  Government officials should be out there telling folks and sports leagues to continue on as scheduled since canceling events won't really do anything.

CBFan, BilliKat and JohnnyJumpUp like this

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

those have one thing in common, we play to other teams level. 

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The goal isn't to totally prevent the spread of the virus.  The goal is to slow the spread enough to stop the healthcare system from collapsing by being overwhelmed with too many patients at one time.  If you don't slow down the spread you will look like Italy right now where people are not only dying from the virus, but dying because they can't get proper treatment for other issues because the system is overwhelmed.  The biggest issue with COVID-19 isn't the amount of people that die from it, it is the massive percentage of people who have it that need to be hospitalized.

I get that.  I just am not sure that canceling events is going to stop or slow the spread of this disease.  The doctors I have spoken with have all said that it won't.  So, if it's not going to slow it down, then why do more damage to the economies of the world that will be relied upon to help folks afflicted with the virus.

As further back up for what I am saying, Iran is one of the hardest hit nations.  Half of their population wears garments which cover the mouth.  Despite this, its spreading like wildfire there.  If it cannot be controlled in Iran, cancelling big events here is not going to slow it down either.

One of the doctors I spoke with basically told me that everyone's going to get it within the next two years no matter what we do.  All of us carry versions of the cold and versions of influenza (the flu) with us all the time.  We also carry versions of coronavirus that isn't number 19.  We're all getting it eventually.

27 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The goal isn't to totally prevent the spread of the virus.  The goal is to slow the spread enough to stop the healthcare system from collapsing by being overwhelmed with too many patients at one time.  If you don't slow down the spread you will look like Italy right now where people are not only dying from the virus, but dying because they can't get proper treatment for other issues because the system is overwhelmed.  The biggest issue with COVID-19 isn't the amount of people that die from it, it is the massive percentage of people who have it that need to be hospitalized.

This is a great post. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/nyregion/coronavirus-new-rochelle-pneumonia.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

brianstl likes this

17 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I get that.  I just am not sure that canceling events is going to stop or slow the spread of this disease.  The doctors I have spoken with have all said that it won't.  So, if it's not going to slow it down, then why do more damage to the economies of the world that will be relied upon to help folks afflicted with the virus.

Clearly there isn't an overwhelming consensus either way in the medical community about how effective these measures are so the decision-makers will continue to err on the side of caution.  Even if these measures are only 5% effective, that can be the difference between hospitals being able to serve the public or grinding to a standstill.

brianstl likes this