All A-10

I am assuming the A10 will make it's final announcements tomorrow, the day before the games start.  This will allow announcers doing games to note who on what team is all-Xth team going into tournament broadcasts.  As for tomorrow, I can't help but wonder is the A10's leading scorer, Daly, will end up anywhere.  My guess MIGHT be a third team selection if any.  Can you leave your leading scorer off the list despite his team having a 6 and 25 record?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I am assuming the A10 will make it's final announcements tomorrow, the day before the games start.  This will allow announcers doing games to note who on what team is all-Xth team going into tournament broadcasts.  As for tomorrow, I can't help but wonder is the A10's leading scorer, Daly, will end up anywhere.  My guess MIGHT be a third team selection if any.  Can you leave your leading scorer off the list despite his team having a 6 and 25 record?

That is when they were announced last season.

3 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

-in conf play only, per A10 site, scoring is:

Toppin - 20.2

Mitchell-19.6 (how can he become? wow)

Ryan-19.5

Fatts-18.3

JPerk-18.2

-in conf Ryan's slash is .418/.317/.722, 5.8 boards with 64 assists to 46 to's, but sure he torched us in the first game

I have to believe JGood will be a first teamer, French and Perkins third teamers. Perkins 6th man of the year. French and possibly JGood make all D team. Yuri all rookie team. Not too shabby, or as Larry David would say, :Pretty, pretty, good. 

Zink likes this

Just my best guess:

1st team: Toppin and Crutcher for sure. Mitchell could replace any of the last 3. 

Toppin (POY), Crutcher , Goodwin, Fatts, Gilyard

2nd: Mitchell, Golden and Weathers probably a lock for atleast 2nd team

Mitchell, Golden, Weathers, Grady, MSS

3rd: I think one of French and Perkins for sure makes 3rd team. Wouldn't have an issue with it either way. Landers probably gets on as the 3rd most important piece on an 18-0 team.

Dowtin, French, Lofton, JAG, Landers 

Others in consideration:

Perkins, Potter, Daly, Langevine, Francis, Carry

All-Defensive: AJ Wilson could sneak on here with 90 (!) blocks. Goodwin could too, for sure.

French, Langevine, Gilyard (DPOY), Fatts, Hughes

COY: Grant

6MOY: (Perkins)

One thing I have no sense for how it'll go is Blake Francis. I could see him being 1st team just because he led the 2nd best team in scoring by a wide margin, but I kind of feel like Gilyard is the straw that stirs the drink. No way to leave Golden off too and I doubt we see 3 spiders on all - conference teams

20 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Just my best guess:

1st team: Toppin and Crutcher for sure. Mitchell could replace any of the last 3. 

Toppin (POY), Crutcher , Goodwin, Fatts, Gilyard

2nd: Mitchell, Golden and Weathers probably a lock for atleast 2nd team

Mitchell, Golden, Weathers, Grady, MSS

3rd: I think one of French and Perkins for sure makes 3rd team. Wouldn't have an issue with it either way. Landers probably gets on as the 3rd most important piece on an 18-0 team.

Dowtin, French, Lofton, JAG, Landers 

Others in consideration:

Perkins, Potter, Daly, Langevine, Francis, Carry

All-Defensive: AJ Wilson could sneak on here with 90 (!) blocks. Goodwin could too, for sure.

French, Langevine, Gilyard (DPOY), Fatts, Hughes

COY: Grant

6MOY: (Perkins)

One thing I have no sense for how it'll go is Blake Francis. I could see him being 1st team just because he led the 2nd best team in scoring by a wide margin, but I kind of feel like Gilyard is the straw that stirs the drink. No way to leave Golden off too and I doubt we see 3 spiders on all - conference teams

Just curious. I don't get the love for Crutcher except for he plays for Dayton

21 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

And kills us every game. He’s a Billiken assassin.

23 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Partially he will be 1st team because Dayton is so much better than anyone else. He’s got really good #s too for what it’s worth. 15 and 5 assists per game on 42% from 3 and 87% from FT line and like 53% from 2. Arguably best PG in the conference.

4 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

And kills us every game. He’s a Billiken assassin.

I'm not sure perception is exactly reality. He scored 17 and 21 pts in the 2 games but he was 11/30 from the field with 4/13 from 3. He was perfect from the line though in the 2 games at 12/12.  He did hit the big shot though and I guess that alone makes him a Billiken assassin. 

2 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Partially he will be 1st team because Dayton is so much better than anyone else. He’s got really good #s too for what it’s worth. 15 and 5 assists per game on 42% from 3 and 87% from FT line and like 53% from 2. Arguably best PG in the conference.

I guess I can see that. His totals don't really stand out but he was very efficient. 

6 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I'm not sure perception is exactly reality. He scored 17 and 21 pts in the 2 games but he was 11/30 from the field with 4/13 from 3. He was perfect from the line though in the 2 games at 12/12.  He did hit the big shot though and I guess that alone makes him a Billiken assassin. 

The game in Dayton last year, he stopped every rally with a three. Takes the big shot and makes it.

59 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

It will be interesting to see how Crutcher (and others plus Dayton in general) does next year without Toppin and to a lesser extent Landers and Mikesell.

Toppin rightfully gets a lot of attention from the defense.  Dayton's offense is based on a ton of ball screens.  We complain about a lot of these being illegal, but Toppin & those seniors are very good at setting them / rolling out of them in such a way to make it a difficult call.  They're big, but also fairly athletic / nimble on their feet and they all can finish at the rim very well (all shooting over 70% on close 2s).  Further, a ball screen set by Toppin requires the defense to pick their poison and most teams are going to focus on preventing Toppin from having an open lane to the basket over giving up an open look from 3 to Crutcher.  Screens set by Jordy Tshimanga aren't going to be the same.

Bottom line, I can't see Crutcher getting nearly as many open looks and he'll likely be the focus of the defense next year.  Whether he rises to the occasion and can maintain his efficiency numbers while likely increasing his workload and drawing more attention from the D will dictate what kind of season Dayton has.

billikenbill likes this

Dayton will essentially be four guards ---- Crutcher, Watson, Chatman and Cohill if he progresses.  The college game is a guard's game.  I expect they will be above the mean but below the top level.

4 hours ago, slufanskip said:

he's going to play in the nba skip.   you are wrong on this one.    might be the second best player in the league