How good a FT shooter are YOU?

How good a FT shooter are YOU?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What % do you shoot for at least 25 FTs?

• 90-100%
    • 80-89%
    • 70-79%
    • 60-69%
    • 50-59%
    • 40-49%
    • 0-29%

I realize that French, Goodwin and even Collins to an extent have the yips.  But they're also D1 players.  French especially shoots an inexplicable %.  I think if you look at how far each shot is from an ideal trajectory, French is the worst FT shooter I've ever seen and it's not close.

So I was at the gym the other day (haven't been to just shoot hoops alone in over 5 years).  I shot around for close to two hours and took four sets of 25 free throws throughout.

I made the following:

- 20/25

- 12/25

- 20/25

- 20/25

72% total.

I pretty much know that given 25 FTs, I can't make more than 21 or 22, ever.  I was an average high school player at best.  Granted, I wasn't sprinting around and then shooting 1 or 2 FTs in a D1 game in front of a ton of fans, but I know I shot every shot the exact same way, and rarely missed badly, mostly just short because of tired legs.

This post isn't to brag, but to point out how crazy our situation is, and how good our team has been in spite of the FT woes. I do have a 20-22 inch standing vertical leap, still, though.  And last time I measured balls to helmet, I was cranking out a hair over 7 inches.  So there's that.

Sooooo, what's your FT?  How well does an MBM shoot?  Could we make the team?  Or at least hang our balls out the inseam like Ford?

CBFan likes this

I am a grandfather who threw away my hoop when I found it laying on my car 5 years ago.  I think because I work hard to stay in shape I could make 4 of 10.

Disclosure, I did not play any high school ball and I was the person that was picked last, awarded to a team by default, for all gym teams in school so I might be too optimistic.

jimbofive likes this

When you shoot 25 in a row you get in a rhythm. Easy. Plus there's not the pressure of having every eye in the house on you with crazed students yelling "hey, I did your mom last night.",  waving those pool styrofoam sticks, or giving you a moonshot. And there may well be the game on the line, which is like us having to make a 3 foot putt to win the $5 Nassau. 

Shooting x number of FTs in a row and making a lot of them is why it's been reported Has hits a bunch of them. He's not thinking just shooting. It's when he thinks about them with all The hullabaloo going on around him that it all goes south for him. That's why I think he needs some professional to give him some concentration tips to consider when he goes to the line. Focus on those then pull the trigger. 

GoSluBills likes this

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

When you shoot 25 in a row you get in a rhythm. Easy. Plus there's not the pressure of having every eye in the house on you with crazed students yelling "hey, I did your mom last night.",  waving those pool styrofoam sticks, or giving you a moonshot. And there may well be the game on the line, which is like us having to make a 3 foot putt to win the $5 Nassau. 

Shooting x number of FTs in a row and making a lot of them is why it's been reported Has hits a bunch of them. He's not thinking just shooting. It's when he thinks about them with all The hullabaloo going on around him that it all goes south for him. That's why I think he needs some professional to give him some concentration tips to consider when he goes to the line. Focus on those then pull the trigger. 

Definitely.  I had the one block of 12/25 where I was tired distracted and frustrated with myself.  I can only imagine how French feels.  And to be fair, I probably only shot 50% in high school games.  I would guess almost anyone shoots lower in-game than out.

I know that I benefit from doing the same thing every time.

Put your right toe on the nail, feet shoulder-width apart, left foot slightly back.  3 quick dribbles.  Find the rim.  Shoot it almost immediately.

Bizziken likes this

The rhythm thing is a key.  If I warm up I can hit probably 16-20 or somewhere in there.  sounds good right?  But in games, working it up, sweating, tired, all those eyeballs and pressure--very different.

But I gotta say: French can and must do better, for next year, but for the life of me, he seems to be getting worse. I really hate being negative on here, but: who are the worst free throw shooters in  Div. I history? Just by the looks of their shots, and someone who took a lot of attempts?  Hard to think of anyone much worse... 

My first thought was Shaquille, but I went back and found he shot 57.5% at LSU; then 53% in the NBA.  Wilt was terrible, but shot 51% in NBA.  Ben Wallace was the worst ever pro: 41%. At the moment, HF stands at 32% for this season.  WOW.  Obviously this is affecting our endgame strategy...

Not sure who came up with the recent ever evolving French FT technique.. but you cannot lean over and flick the ball with your wrists from low trajectory, and not do or use anything else with your body and have consistent success.

FT's are repetitive, rythm shots that begin with your feet, legs, waist, all the way to finger tips. Shots are just over the front rim focused with consistent arc. Feet set, take a breath, same dribble number, fingers under ball for back spin, elbow tuck. 

slufanskip likes this

When I first paid close attention to his technique/ form, it appeared he was pushing the ball almost like a shotput. Then he changed again to wrist flick w/no body movement. I'm gonna watch closely today to see if he's following any consistent  pre shot routine. Watch Perkins. He follows the same pre shot routine on every attempt. Great technique, and swish. Great results. Jimmy Bell follows a routine. I think Has blanks out and just wants to get off the line. 

In 8th grade, I was about the only one who could score on our team, so shot 144 free throws in 18 games. I missed the last one I shot that year which took my season percentage to 69.4%. After riding the bench for the next three years, I had some success my Senior year, and once again, missed the last FT I shot which again took my percentage one made FT below 70%. So, I'll say I am a 69.4% FT shooter. It's like being 1/8" short of being of 6'0. That and not being a legit 70% FT shooter are some personal disappointments that have bugged me ever since.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

When I first paid close attention to his technique/ form, it appeared he was pushing the ball almost like a shotput. Then he changed again to wrist flick w/no body movement. I'm gonna watch closely today to see if he's following any consistent  pre shot routine. Watch Perkins. He follows the same pre shot routine on every attempt. Great technique, and swish. Great results. Jimmy Bell follows a routine. I think Has blanks out and just wants to get off the line. 

Perkins is like a machine when he goes to the line same exact thing every time.

He takes so long sometimes I worry he’s going to get hit with a 10 second call.

i would be willing to bet he takes the same amount of time every time he steps to the line.

25 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

In 8th grade, I was about the only one who could score on our team, so shot 144 free throws in 18 games. I missed the last one I shot that year which took my season percentage to 69.4%. After riding the bench for the next three years, I had some success my Senior year, and once again, missed the last FT I shot which again took my percentage one made FT below 70%. So, I'll say I am a 69.4% FT shooter. It's like being 1/8" short of being of 6'0. That and not being a legit 70% FT shooter are some personal disappointments that have bugged me ever since.

I hear ya with the 6 foot thing.

I was a tad under 6 but never actually made it. Now I’m starting to get shorter.

Playing days in the USAF base level, I generally hit 75-80% over 3 years with accurate stats kept. Hit 56 in a row at practice once. Today I rarely shoot with a guys ball (coach girls lol) and routinely still make 8/10.  For a trick for the kids I can hit about 7/10 one handed and can consistently hit 2-3/10 with my eyes closed. We have contests 20 shots, I have to shoot 10 1 handed and 10 eyes closed and I'm generally about 50% combining the 2. 

I would give anything to have about 4-5 30 min sessions with Has. 

12 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I hear ya with the 6 foot thing.

I was a tad under 6 but never actually made it. Now I’m starting to get shorter.

I was 5'9 in 8th grade and was sure I'd wind up over 6'. My dad was 6'2 but my mom only 5'1 so I wound up the tallest between me and my three brothers. My dad had this spot where I would get him to measure me from the time I was in third grade and I was crushed when despite numerous remeasures, I never made it to a legit 6'. After two back surgeries and more years than I want to count, I've shrunk to 5'10. 😡

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Playing days in the USAF base level, I generally hit 75-80% over 3 years with accurate stats kept. Hit 56 in a row at practice once. Today I rarely shoot with a guys ball (coach girls lol) and routinely still make 8/10.  For a trick for the kids I can hit about 7/10 one handed and can consistently hit 2-3/10 with my eyes closed. We have contests 20 shots, I have to shoot 10 1 handed and 10 eyes closed and I'm generally about 50% combining the 2. 

I would give anything to have about 4-5 30 min sessions with Has. 

Not to knock your coaching, Skip, but our HC was a 92% FT shooter at the D1 level. Pretty sure he's coached Has on techniques. Has needs a sports psychologist. 

Just now, slu72 said:

Not to knock your coaching, Skip, but our HC was a 92% FT shooter at the D1 level. Pretty sure he's coached Has on techniques. Has needs a sports psychologist. 

No doubt, I've said that before lol. However, when you've taught 5th grade girls to shoot better than him, it's hard not to believe you can't teach Has. And I'm not saying I can but I'd love to have the chance. Also by your logic, Michael Jordan should be the worlds greatest basketball coach. There are some things I use with kids that I believe might help. They may have already been tried and I'm a complete idiot. I don't know. 

It may be in his mind but with his technique a sports psychologist can't make him a good free throw shooter. 

I made 27-29 my senior year in HS. I had more made fts than minutes played. I'd shoot for injuries, and late game situations and a couple techs when my coach had the foresight to get me to the scorers table when things were getting heated.  On lower level teams where I played more I shot nearly 90. Despite my best efforts at trying to teach teammates to shoot like me our team shot 59 my Sr year.

4 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

I went 1 for 10 a few weeks ago. (33yr old male, good shape, great hand eye coordination, competitive tennis player)

My girlfriend went 0 for 10. (knockout stunner)

Dump her. She's way worse than Has. 😎

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

No doubt, I've said that before lol. However, when you've taught 5th grade girls to shoot better than him, it's hard not to believe you can't teach Has. And I'm not saying I can but I'd love to have the chance. Also by your logic, Michael Jordan should be the worlds greatest basketball coach. There are some things I use with kids that I believe might help. They may have already been tried and I'm a complete idiot. I don't know. 

It may be in his mind but with his technique a sports psychologist can't make him a good free throw shooter. 

Skip

At this point, nothing to lose. If you could help him get back to 50%, this Board would all join me in buying you beer after beer.  But if you did not succeed, I would hope we would not blame you either. 

Frankly, the biggest problem French has is that he does things different each time. The most basic tip anyone could give (and I am certain have given) Is develop a routine and repeat the same every time - but as we have seen that this has not happened.  He shoots differently in pregame warmups than he does during the games.  No coach has taught him this latest technique- a one armed, leaning flick.  
Again, if he doesn't want to shoot underhand then I suggest a jumpshot - so he doesn’t think. Instinct.