Transfers and grad transfers - 2020

ACE

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I saw this on the front page and had a good chuckle (would be detrimental to the kids - again we are talking about them being able to transfer one time freely without having to sit out a year):

Dick Vitale Just spoke with HoFer Tom Izzo and he is furious with the possibility that the @NCAA would pass a rule allowing players to transfer w/o sitting out 1 yr. Many coaches agree with Tom that it would be detrimental to the kids as well as the game . COACHES SHOULD UNITE!

I agree with Izzo,it would be bad for the game and ultimately bad for the kids. 

AGB91 likes this

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to close the loop on a couple former SLU recruits who transferred to other schools, Landers Nolley (VT) is going to Memphis and Cordell Pemsl (Iowa) is going to VT.

To be clear, our 2020 class is full on paper. I'm continuing to track the Phillip Russell and Francis Okoro stories to see if there's any smoke there, there is always a chance for more outgoing transfers, and in this era coaches never stop recruiting. But the number of new transfers entering the portal seems to be slowing as we near the 800 mark and unless we have another player who suddenly decides to leave, most of my attention is shifting to 2021 and beyond.

Reinert310 likes this

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

Just to close the loop on a couple former SLU recruits who transferred to other schools, Landers Nolley (VT) is going to Memphis and Cordell Pemsl (Iowa) is going to VT.

To be clear, our 2020 class is full on paper. I'm continuing to track the Phillip Russell and Francis Okoro stories to see if there's any smoke there, there is always a chance for more outgoing transfers, and in this era coaches never stop recruiting. But the number of new transfers entering the portal seems to be slowing as we near the 800 mark and unless we have another player who suddenly decides to leave, most of my attention is shifting to 2021 and beyond.

I think if we were going to have another transfer out, it would have happened. Then again, u just never know when you’re dealing w/ young guys. 

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

-does it seem to be about the same number as last year in the portal?

-is the timing of when players entered the portal about the same as prior years? wondering if this virus has impacted timing of players declaring their intent to transfer

13 hours ago, slu72 said:

I think if we were going to have another transfer out, it would have happened. Then again, u just never know when you’re dealing w/ young guys. 

13 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-does it seem to be about the same number as last year in the portal?

-is the timing of when players entered the portal about the same as prior years? wondering if this virus has impacted timing of players declaring their intent to transfer

Last year was just over 1,000. The portal will likely hit 800 today. We might still get to 1,000 this season but it'll be a slower trickle. Commitments are rolling in fast now but new transfer announcements have definitely slowed. Last night was just the A10 stunner, Marcus Santos-Silva.

Between the cancellation of the season, the closing of the schools, and the disruption all of this has caused to  most sports related processes including the NBA draft, this is definitely not a normal year. I find it hard to believe that the cycle of recruiting and training will not be disturbed prior to next season.

almaman likes this

15 hours ago, slu72 said:

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Last year was just over 1,000. The portal will likely hit 800 today. We might still get to 1,000 this season but it'll be a slower trickle. Commitments are rolling in fast now but new transfer announcements have definitely slowed. Last night was just the A10 stunner, Marcus Santos-Silva.

Pure speculation on my part, but a handful of players may be waiting to see if the free transfer rule comes into play.  It's been written that there may be an NCAA vote next month.   If it comes into play, then some may jump in and be immediately eligible.  If not, perhaps those players don't want to sit out a year and will continue with their current school.

Pistol and bauman like this

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Stockard just entered the transfer pool.  I don't think SLU is an option for him any longer.

Weber's statement said Stockard is "on track to graduate on time" which suggests he will have to sit a year assuming no rule change. 

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

Maybe it’s time for our whole Board to crash VCU and just be “friendly” and not leave like they have done to us?   Pester them about their head coach.... ask why Santos-Silva left... ask why their team failed to show up mentally... console them on their end of season losing streak...😂.  Sounds like a alot of dissension

8 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Maybe it’s time for our whole Board to crash VCU and just be “friendly” and not leave like they have done to us?   Pester them about their head coach.... ask why Santos-Silva left... ask why their team failed to show up mentally... console them on their end of season losing streak...😂.  Sounds like a alot of dissension

As fun as that might sound, you never want to talk to people in a cult.  Those people in Virginia have legit issues. 

4 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Somethings not right at VCU. They looked like dog doo doo at the end of last season and Silvos leaving indicates the ship is taking on water. Don’t know what’s happening, but it’s in the conference’s best interest for them to continue to be a strong program. Same for us, UD, URI, and others. We got enough weak sisters dragging us down. 

Clock_Tower likes this

30 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Yep.  He heard from someone today.

Thanks coach always appreciate the info. If nothing else it’s good to stay on the look out for guys just in case you have a surprise departure. Do you know where he stands academically? Could he graduate over the summer and be a graduate transfer? That is assuming the immediate transfer ruling doesn’t go through of course. 

6 hours ago, billikentim said:

Thanks coach always appreciate the info. If nothing else it’s good to stay on the look out for guys just in case you have a surprise departure. Do you know where he stands academically? Could he graduate over the summer and be a graduate transfer? That is assuming the immediate transfer ruling doesn’t go through of course. 

?   russell is still in high school