Transfers and grad transfers - 2020

ACE

On 4/8/2020 at 4:44 PM, moytoy12 said:

I know others aren't quite sold, but if Stockard wants and is able to come to SLU as a grad transfer then i think it's the perfect addition.  Fills a need, likely won't demand or expect 20+ minutes, allows JBJ to continue to grow as a player, St. Louis native from a H.S. that we'd like to make inroads with, friends on the team.  I absolutely love this possibility. 

No interest at all. Does anyone ever look at his stats? Averaging 2.4 points and 1.9 rebound per game for his career. Way more interested in obtaining Phillip Russell.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/levi-stockardiii-1.html

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, billikentim said:

46 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Looks like a sit one, play 2 years (assuming old rules apply).  Not overwhelming stats at WSU. 

At-the-basket big man from Houston. Would indeed sit one, play two. Listed at 6-8, 240. Per WSU's website, he's a "Big bruiser… High-energy rebounder and a forceful scorer underneath the basket… Working his way back from a February shoulder surgery that cut his freshman season short after a promising start.... Has a 7-foot wingspan."

He started 5 games this season but mostly wasn't in the rotation, averaging 10.5 MPG. Played bigger minutes in November, had a quiet December, found the end of the rotation again in January, and his minutes diminished again after that.

He's a good finisher - .613 from the field, nothing outside - and a bad FT shooter - .482, going roughly 1-2 per appearance. He's foul prone, averaging 2.4 in his limited minutes. Solid rebounder at both ends.

Played for the Houston Defenders AAU program, and we've talked to a couple guys who have played for them at one point. He did a prep year at Montverde so he may have briefly crossed paths with Jimerson. Chose WSU over Ohio State, Butler, LSU, and TCU.

Looks like Butler is back in the mix with us and Arizona. A few weeks ago, he said that Butler, Minnesota, and Arizona State were working the hardest but heard from Texas A&M, South Carolina, Georgia State, Xavier, Illinois, Oregon State, Washington State, Boise State, Seton Hall, New Mexico State, and Grand Canyon early on. He's one of seven leaving WSU this year. Says he doesn't mind this process being constrained by the pandemic this year because when you're taking visits, the process is a little more rushed. Now he can sit there and evaluate every school in one place.

CBFan and JohnnyJumpUp like this

Josh Pierre-Louis (Temple) to UC-Santa Barbara.

Ricky Lindo (Maryland) to George Washington. Staying home. GW is getting better through the transfer market, even if they lost Toro.

On 4/10/2020 at 12:43 PM, cgeldmacher said:

Even it we keep our players and keep winning, almost every other team in the conference would get wiped out every year.  That will decrease our value since we're playing in a much weaker conference.  Do you think Obi Toppin would have stayed at Dayton if he could have transferred to a top program?

If this passes, I would feel pretty confident in saying that Jimerson would leave at some point.  Maybe Bell too.  The problem is, every diamond in the rough recruit that Ford finds will be recruited away.

No. Obi would not, and will not, transfer.  NBA ?  Likely. Still small chance he returns.  Zero chance he transfers to a P5.  Loves his coach, teammates and school.  I suspect (and hope) the same with Jimerson.  Relationships matter more. 

With that said, mid majors risk being devastated when a coach leaves or is fired.  As long as Ford is at the helm, we will win and our players (Jimerson) will stay. 

Players being able to transfer without sitting is bad for mid majors. Yet another nail in their coffin after P5s refusing to schedule/play mid majors, increased conference games by P5s, rigging of NCAA Tournament qualifications, unfair Tournament seedings to make mid majors play each other... but the chance to make the Tourney keeps hope alive... and is what keeps Gonzaga battling and this year allowed UD to be UD. 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

The Mitchell twins mom is a friggin psycho. 

5 minutes ago, almaman said:

Elaborate 

Agreed. Looking for new entertainment during this shutdown.

15 minutes ago, almaman said:

Elaborate 

She's all over twitter. Basically live tweeting her every thought during this roster turnover at URI. She is gushing about how good this team will be, etc. She tweets like a college girl who split with her boyfriend and is now posting all over social media about how green the grass is on the other side.

https://twitter.com/Basketballmom2t

11 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

She's all over twitter. Basically live tweeting her every thought during this roster turnover at URI. She is gushing about how good this team will be, etc. She tweets like a college girl who split with her boyfriend and is now posting all over social media about how green the grass is on the other side.

Definitely living vicariously through her sons. She’s no Lavar Ball though. Lol

The Mitchell twins were bad news at UMd.  Mark Turgeon expressed no remorse to see them leave.  I get the feeling one is okay, the other not so much.  But if Mommy Dearest is any indication of their entourage, good luck.  I suspect David Cox won't be long for the URI job at this rate.  He has had 11 players transfer outin three years and I'm still waiting for Jermaine Harris to pull the trigger too.

21 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-thanks for the link, interesting article

I know there are a couple posters who believe that players should have an unrestricted right to transfer without having to sit one year, but this article presents a rational alternative.  That is, no requirement to sit out if your coach is fired or moves on to another school  (I would add one restriction to this-if the coach moves based on a decision he makes, in other words isn't fired, you could transfer to any school except the school that coach goes to.  This would prevent the hiring of Coach A if he can bring Player A along with him)  We have seen up close and personal how this no-sit-out-rule could be abused by looking 120 miles west at Coach Poacher hiring an unqualified AC at a ridiculous salary to secure a recruit, or two!

If that no-sit transfer rule was in place for next year consider its potential impact on SLU!  French, Goodwin and Perkins gone for sure and possibly Jimerson and Collins joining them.  In effect, we would never see a roster that we planned on.  Might as well eliminate all speculation on how well the team will do next year until that next school year has begun because up until that point we won't know for sure who we will have.  Talk about the rich getting richer.  No longer would the Duke's, UK's or KU's need to look solely to one and done high schoolers.  They would be able to recruit players from schools like SLU, VCU, Xavier who have shown that they can excel in the college ranks.

If you love chaos you would love this!

2 minutes ago, bauman said:

I know there are a couple posters who believe that players should have an unrestricted right to transfer without having to sit one year, but this article presents a rational alternative.  That is, no requirement to sit out if your coach is fired or moves on to another school  (I would add one restriction to this-if the coach moves based on a decision he makes, in other words isn't fired, you could transfer to any school except the school that coach goes to.  This would prevent the hiring of Coach A if he can bring Player A along with him)  We have seen up close and personal how this no-sit-out-rule could be abused by looking 120 miles west at Coach Poacher hiring an unqualified AC at a ridiculous salary to secure a recruit, or two!

If that no-sit transfer rule was in place for next year consider its potential impact on SLU!  French, Goodwin and Perkins gone for sure and possibly Jimerson and Collins joining them.  In effect, we would never see a roster that we planned on.  Might as well eliminate all speculation on how well the team will do next year until that next school year has begun because up until that point we won't know for sure who we will have.  Talk about the rich getting richer.  No longer would the Duke's, UK's or KU's need to look solely to one and done high schoolers.  They would be able to recruit players from schools like SLU, VCU, Xavier who have shown that they can excel in the college ranks.

This is a massive overreaction. Goodwin is not going to leave to be a backup at Kentucky. It is not as if there is a massive barrier to transferring right now.

I totally understand why some people don’t like this rule. The number of kids who transfer even under the current system is ludicrous. But to think it would be a disaster for schools like SLU / VCU / Dayton is completely unfounded IMO.

Littlebill likes this

Later Rothstein added these two additionai effects.

1. Non blue blood programs in power conferences and most mid-majors will aim to primarily recruit transfers in an effort to preserve roster continuity

2. Fewer scholarships will be given to high school kids

I am going to modify his second point to fewer high school athletes will be signed in the early signing period.  If I'm a coach, I am saving schollies for the transfer window.  The same number of scholarships will be available before and after this comes into effect.  How and when they are offered will change.  In November a coach will have not have a good idea what he will be losing in the transfer window or what he will need for the next season.

I agree @bauman on any preseason speculation being more moot than it is today.  We will be rooting for uniforms rather than who is in them.

ACE likes this

27 minutes ago, bauman said:

Huh?  This seems a tad over the top.