Transfers and grad transfers - 2020

ACE

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OSU, sophomore, shot blocking, Center, Yor Anei,from KC, transferring after school is banned from postseason.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/oklahoma-state-center-yor-anei-transferring-after-cowboys-postseason-ban/

• 3 months later...
On 4/16/2020 at 12:45 PM, slu72 said:

Boy, WSU losing 7 players is a shocker. Have to wonder what the problem is there. Marshall's always seemed to have the respect of his players. But something's gone haywire. 

I think this pretty much explains it. Ongoing investigation. Article about on both ESPN and the Athletic. I don’t know what “Stadium” is. Not good. Not good at all.

CD72CAB1-11AC-4359-B96D-55C493C989AD.png

3star_recruit likes this

I'm always angry has been Marshall's strategy for years now.  Looks like he started taking it literally.  This is an article from 2014:

https://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/99385/playing-angry-the-marshall-way

Wichita State’s Gregg Marshall will continue to implore his team to “play angry” simply because he’s always coached that way.

“We had this thing before play angry,” Tyson Waterman said. “It was called the Marshall Law.”

----

“His biggest thing was nobody respects you, he made you feel like you’re not respected no matter what,” Waterman said. “We won [12] straight and he was still like 'nobody respects you.' He’ll find a stat that makes you keep from being complacent. He’ll find a reason to make you think that you’re not doing nothing.”

5 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

I think this pretty much explains it. Ongoing investigation. Article about on both ESPN and the Athletic. I don’t know what “Stadium” is. Not good. Not good at all.

CD72CAB1-11AC-4359-B96D-55C493C989AD.png

Hard to see how Marshall survives this. I know he's incredibly popular in Wichita but in this day and age you simply can't hit a player and expect to get away with it. 

25 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Hard to see how Marshall survives this. I know he's incredibly popular in Wichita but in this day and age you simply can't hit a player and expect to get away with it. 

Completely agree. I never followed him or that program overly closely, was it fairly well known that he was a jerk? Like will folks in Wichita not be overly surprised to read this stuff?

2 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Completely agree. I never followed him or that program overly closely, was it fairly well known that he was a jerk? Like will folks in Wichita not be overly surprised to read this stuff?

Yes, he's a nut. Not surprising.

I'm looking forward to the day when this kind of coaching becomes extinct. I don't get why more college coaches aren't looking at the guys having the most success in the NBA and seeing that they're getting more out of their players by appealing to their intellect, connecting with them as people, and working closely with each player to build out skill sets and get the most out of them. And yet college and HS coaching ranks are still jammed full of guys who think Bob Knight is the model for coaching, as if their players are unaware of what's going on in the NBA and elsewhere.

rgbilliken likes this

Stadium is a lower level channel here on the East Coast.  They do a lot of A10 games and had Dr. John Giannini,former La Salle coach, astheir main color guy.  I actually like Giannini as a broadcaster; hated him as a coach.  Constant whiner.  Hell if Seth Greenberg, Dick Vitale, and Dan Dakich can get national gigs,  Giannini is funny and articulate and self-depreciating as well.  Can he be far behind?

Stadium is like Fox Sports Midwest in that they will broadcast games that end up on ESPN+ which is great for us out-of-towners and A10 followers.

34 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'm looking forward to the day when this kind of coaching becomes extinct. I don't get why more college coaches aren't looking at the guys having the most success in the NBA and seeing that they're getting more out of their players by appealing to their intellect, connecting with them as people, and working closely with each player to build out skill sets and get the most out of them. And yet college and HS coaching ranks are still jammed full of guys who think Bob Knight is the model for coaching, as if their players are unaware of what's going on in the NBA and elsewhere.

College always lags industry by many years.  Many of the elder statesmen in the college game modeled their approach after Bob Knight and until fairly recently, those were the guys making most of the Final Fours.  More stoic personalities like Jay Wright and Tony Bennett are winning big now.  Maybe the worm is turning.

Pistol likes this

I agree with everyone above that the tough guy persona doesn't work these days.

That said, Wichita St just needs to look at GW over the past ~5 years to see their future if they decide to can Marshall.  This article reads exactly like the Mike Lonergan Washington Post article.  

It is a little harder to take a stand and fire him when you know that if you do, you are staring at minimum 5 year rebuild and a chance that you never make it back to a top 20 program at all.

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

My in laws live in Wichita ... while they’ve been happy with the success he brought, they’ve never liked him as a person and have complained about him basically every time a WSU game is on. Westy said above that his wife is a piece of work; this is definitely the consensus. I think most people in Wichita can’t stand her. When I asked the family group text if they had seen the news about him the first thing everyone said was they weren’t surprised. 

TheChosenOne likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I totally agree with you Pistol, but I can’t help but laugh when (Obviously ignorant) members of social media, watching from the outside looking in and overreact when a great coach like Izzo screams at a kid on the sideline and they all freak out. I got chewed out just like that when I was 12. I think there’s a line that all the best coaches walk where they’re able to scream at a kid to light a fire under him, because you know he’s got more in there, versus being a d!ck for being a d!ck’s sake. I think Ford does an excellent job of it. He’s much harder on Goodwin than anyone else, because he knows JGood can handle it and JGood knows, without a doubt, how much support he has from coach Ford. But when you starting putting your hands on kids, that’s a HUGE, HUGE problem!

AGB91 likes this

26 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I totally agree with you Pistol, but I can’t help but laugh when (Obviously ignorant) members of social media, watching from the outside looking in and overreact when a great coach like Izzo screams at a kid on the sideline and they all freak out. I got chewed out just like that when I was 12. I think there’s a line that all the best coaches walk where they’re able to scream at a kid to light a fire under him, because you know he’s got more in there, versus being a d!ck for being a d!ck’s sake. I think Ford does an excellent job of it. He’s much harder on Goodwin than anyone else, because he knows JGood can handle it and JGood knows, without a doubt, how much support he has from coach Ford. But when you starting putting your hands on kids, that’s a HUGE, HUGE problem!

Yeah, there's a difference between really getting into it in a moment during a game (although again, you don't really see it from Spoelstra, Kerr, Pop, Stevens, Rivers, et al) and crossing into abusive behavior in practice. Izzo isn't hitting dudes in practice or attacking them personally.

45 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Marshall's wife is a piece of work as well.  

39 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

My in laws live in Wichita ... while they’ve been happy with the success he brought, they’ve never liked him as a person and have complained about him basically every time a WSU game is on. Westy said above that his wife is a piece of work; this is definitely the consensus. I think most people in Wichita can’t stand her. When I asked the family group text if they had seen the news about him the first thing everyone said was they weren’t surprised. 

Ha, I completely forgot about her. She's insane during games, screaming, getting into it with opposing fans, taunting, etc. She's even been kicked out of the stands. I'm sure she's a peach outside of basketball, as well.

37 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

I agree with everyone above that the tough guy persona doesn't work these days.

That said, Wichita St just needs to look at GW over the past ~5 years to see their future if they decide to can Marshall.  This article reads exactly like the Mike Lonergan Washington Post article.  

It is a little harder to take a stand and fire him when you know that if you do, you are staring at minimum 5 year rebuild and a chance that you never make it back to a top 20 program at all.

It was just a couple of years ago when WSU thought they were too good for the MVC.  Their new home in the AAC thought they were adding a powerhouse to their conference-a team that went to the NCAA every year.  I guess they thought wrong.

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, there's a difference between really getting into it in a moment during a game (although again, you don't really see it from Spoelstra, Kerr, Pop, Stevens, Rivers, et al) and crossing into abusive behavior in practice. Izzo isn't hitting dudes in practice or attacking them personally.

Yeah, for sure. But I’d be willing to bet Spoelstra and Kerr and Pop really get into some guys at practice from time to time, just less so in games. Maybe I’m wrong. I’m not a huge NBA guy. But you’re point is valid. 

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Well said. Agree with it all. 

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

There is a difference between a hard nose demanding coach who won't always have the most pleasant conversation with players and a coach that assaults his players.  I still think there is a need for coaches like Majerus and Tom Thibodeau.  Different coaching styles get through to different players.  

I don't think the college and high school ranks are jammed with guys physically assaulting players and assistant coaches.

Reinert310 and SLU_Lax like this

26 minutes ago, brianstl said:

There is a difference between a hard nose demanding coach who won't always have the most pleasant conversation with players and a coach that assaults his players.  I still think there is a need for coaches like Majerus and Tom Thibodeau.  Different coaching styles get through to different players.  

I don't think the college and high school ranks are jammed with guys physically assaulting players and assistant coaches.

Agreed, but the distribution of overtly tough guys to the more measured personalities is still out of proportion to how most young men actually learn today.  IMO, the major reason the Bob Knight archetype has been so influential in college basketball is because of the high visibility of the coaches.  College basketball is a coach's game.  And theatrical tough guys make for more compelling TV.