Transfers and grad transfers - 2020

ACE

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

That's a very fast turnaround. I was talking with @TheChosenOne last night about who might have an inside track. He mentioned Illinois State as the hometown team. Illinois and Purdue were his other two finalists out of HS. If he's choosing this quickly (he entered the portal a week ago), I am guessing it's somewhere that's already well known to him. Without any spots on paper for SLU currently, I have a hard time believing it's us.

Hey Pistol, not doubting you, you know way more than I do, but with everything going on right now, wouldn’t it be pretty hard to get to know SLU any better than he does now...even if he waited a month, would it help all that much? These are strange times.

9 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Damn it, I thought I was bringing exciting news. I really hate myself. At least if its Illinois State it wouldn’t be Illinois.

Way to ruin our Friday! Why don't you get back to your online Normal Brand shopping spree.

4 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Agree.

Maybe I’m being overly optimistic, but if Okoro called/texted Ford and said, “Coach, I’m coming to SLU. So excited to be a part of Team Blue.” Is gonna respond, “Wait! You can’t announce it yet. My other kid hasn’t announced he’s leaving yet!” Of course not. We’ll see this evening, but let’s be positive!

1 minute ago, Reinert310 said:

Hey Pistol, not doubting you, you know way more than I do, but with everything going on right now, wouldn’t it be pretty hard to get to know SLU any better than he does now...even if he waited a month, would it help all that much? These are strange times.

These are the schools we know he heard from: Saint Louis, Marquette, Seton Hall, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Missouri, Houston, San Diego State, SIU-Carbondale, Illinois State, Drake, Western Kentucky.

Without going back through his recruitment timeline from 2-4 years ago, his finalists were Oregon, Purdue, and Illinois. So we know the latter two are places he took official visits to, they aren't far from Normal, and he knows both well. Illinois State is the hometown team and he's been there a bunch. He ran with BBE in AAU, so he's been in STL a lot and I know he's seen SLU and knows the staff and a lot of the players. Northwestern offered him in HS and was in the mix for a while, so did Western Kentucky, and same with Mizzou, but we just saw that they seem to think it's not going to be them.

I don't know which of the other schools are places he's been or has connections to - maybe he's been to Carbondale but I don't see the draw of another Valley school over the one where his family lives, and not many others from this new list were on him out of HS. Some may have reached out but appear to be mostly new.

I guess I should've been more clear in my initial post - I think we're familiar to him, albeit maybe not as much as the other three, but I don't think we get a commitment tonight unless someone publicly vacates a space this afternoon. Have we ever been oversubscribed? Not that I can remember. If he announced a top five, I would not at all be surprised to see SLU in it. I just don't expect a commitment tonight. I'm always happy to be wrong if it's good news.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

These are the schools we know he heard from: Saint Louis, Marquette, Seton Hall, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Missouri, Houston, San Diego State, SIU-Carbondale, Illinois State, Drake, Western Kentucky.

Without going back through his recruitment timeline from 2-4 years ago, his finalists were Oregon, Purdue, and Illinois. So we know the latter two are places he took official visits to, they aren't far from Normal, and he knows both well. Illinois State is the hometown team and he's been there a bunch. He ran with BBE in AAU, so he's been in STL a lot and I know he's seen SLU and knows the staff and a lot of the players. Northwestern offered him in HS and was in the mix for a while, so did Western Kentucky, and same with Mizzou, but we just saw that they seem to think it's not going to be them.

I don't know which of the other schools are places he's been or has connections to - maybe he's been to Carbondale but I don't see the draw of another Valley school over the one where his family lives, and not many others from this new list were on him out of HS. Some may have reached out but appear to be mostly new.

I guess I should've been more clear in my initial post - I think we're familiar to him, albeit maybe not as much as the other three, but I don't think we get a commitment tonight unless someone publicly vacates a space this afternoon. Have we ever been oversubscribed? Not that I can remember. If he announced a top five, I would not at all be surprised to see SLU in it. I just don't expect a commitment tonight. I'm always happy to be wrong if it's good news.

I guess my point is: if, hypothetically, Okoro wants to commit to SLU, is Ford really gonna tell him he can’t announce it until whoever announces they’re leaving? I wouldn’t think so.

5 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Driving Chris Farley GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Such a good gif (and movie), but I trust fan message boards about as far as I can throw them (present company excluded, of course). We’ll find out tonight.

15 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

ISU message board thinks it is a done deal from them. Okoro also apparently snapchatted a picture of himself in an ISU jersey.

Dang, that's a bummer. I was really hopeful for this one.

What at all is enticing about ISU right now? They won nine games last year. They're 150ish in Torvik's 2021 ranks. Why wouldn't Bradley be the choice if you're trying to stay really close? Illinois? 

I understand the wanting to stay home, but ISU is such a wild choice considering his options, especially those within three hours of Normal.

Is Illinois State a top five program in the state?

They won NINE GAMES in that dumpster fire of a conference.

4 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Okoro's not coming. I take that as good news that Diarra is staying. 

Maybe. Even if Okoro doesn’t come, Stockard and Russell are still realistic options. I like Diarra...but a long way to go.

18 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I understand the wanting to stay home, but ISU is such a wild choice considering his options, especially those within three hours of Normal.

Maybe he just really wants to get back to home and his family given the loss of his father who died unexpectedly in December back home in Nigeria. Between the loss of a parent and the injuries, that is a lot on a kid especially being so far from home and his support. Someone posted that he has family that teaches at Illinois State.

Hopefully he surprises us and commits to SLU though!

4 hours ago, NH said:

I don't think this is correct. Bishop has received one redshirt year, which I'm assuming was the year he sat out. He then had to burn a year after transferring. I'm not sure whether he has officially been granted another year of eligibility yet, but would presume he will. At best, Bishop will play 3 full seasons of college basketball.

In at least 2 decades 

1 minute ago, A10Ref said:

A fool would pick Illinois State over Saint Louis University. I have faith in people not being foolish, but I am proven otherwise all the time.

Maybe if we’re just talking about basketball. But the kid has obviously been through a lot. He might different motivation when making his commitment. I hope it’s SLU, but who knows.

TheChosenOne likes this