Transfers and grad transfers - 2020

ACE

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

skip, if they are good enough to get drafted they would be good enough to play in the G league imo.  if they wont get drafted, the G League for high schoolers isnt going to happen imo.  

Obviously I know if they're good enough to get drafted, they are good enough to play in the G league.  Just a guess but I doubt there would be more than 10-15 players a year go from HS to the NBA or the G League. I would guess the G League still wants to be a developmental league for the NBA. If they don't think you have NBA potential, I'd guess they won't want you and I believe plenty of NBA potentials would still rather go to college. What would a fringe HS player that will take 4 years to make the NBA make in the G League? 20k? 

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

Boy, WSU losing 7 players is a shocker. Have to wonder what the problem is there. Marshall's always seemed to have the respect of his players. But something's gone haywire. 

I have been in Wichita several times it is flat, windy and no trees.  The people are the friendly Midwest type of folks.  There is not enough money that could be paid to me to live in Wichita.

3 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I have been in Wichita several times it is flat, windy and no trees.  The people are the friendly Midwest type of folks.  There is not enough money that could be paid to me to live in Wichita.

Just wait until you see Salina...

-this might provide a bit of perspective, according to that bastion of information, Wikipedia, from 1975 to 1994 one player (Shawn Kemp) went from high school to NBA, in 1995 Kevin Garnett went from high school to the draft, from 1995 through 2005,  when the NBA said at least one year out of high school,  40 players went from high school to NBA draft

22 minutes ago, CBFan said:

-I went to the SLU game there, didn't know Kansas produced oil

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

The G league paying 500k is what’s going to kill colleges. $500k to sit out a year and just practice? I’d rather that than a 2 year 1m Overseas

-kill colleges? I disagree

58 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I was there 2 day after bad tornado close by back in late 80's. not a fair time to judge but it did look like awful place to live.

2 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Just looked at his freshman year stats. If his brother didn’t win the national POY award this year, there’s no chance that Kentucky even knows who he is, let alone signs him to a scholarship, right?

-that's my thought, Cal must expect an Obi-Summer

1 minute ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Just looked at his freshman year stats. If his brother didn’t win the national POY award this year, there’s no chance that Kentucky even knows who he is, let alone signs him to a scholarship, right?

I have to agree. The kid has talent, but no way he shows up on Kentucky's radar if his last name isn’t Toppin.

TheChosenOne likes this

23 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Guys... Rhody was in a complete MELTDOWN when not obi left. This isn’t the same as jimerson or anyone here.

Yeah I really wasn't suggesting that. My point was a healthy Jimmerson was well on his way to having a much better season than Obi Jr, and now UK wants him. I was not suggesting GJ will transfer and there is no indication he will. My point is we are in a pretty good situation for next season if Cal is spending a scholarship on a kid who averaged 5 a game in the A10.

2 minutes ago, mdscott24 said:

Yeah I really wasn't suggesting that. My point was a healthy Jimmerson was well on his way to having a much better season than Obi Jr, and now UK wants him. I was not suggesting GJ will transfer and there is no indication he will. My point is we are in a pretty good situation for next season if Cal is spending a scholarship on a kid who averaged 5 a game in the A10.

That wasnt really towards you, a few people have been saying that about jimerson.  UK also lost like 7 players from last year.  3 of those in the last 4 days, they had  to grab ppl quick.

Also, does he have to sit out or no?

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

That wasnt really towards you, a few people have been saying that about jimerson.  UK also lost like 7 players from last year.  3 of those in the last 4 days, they had  to grab ppl quick.

Also, does he have to sit out or no?

Right now he'd have to sit a year. Now the NCAA is supposed to vote on that later this month. They could reverse that which could throw the summer into a free for all in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, mdscott24 said:

Right now he'd have to sit a year. Now the NCAA is supposed to vote on that later this month. They could reverse that which could throw the summer into a free for all in my opinion. 

sounding like Coach cal seems confident in the rule change 

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-I went to the SLU game there, didn't know Kansas produced oil

-kill colleges? I disagree

Wichita is just a couple hours or less from Oklahoma and there is lots of oil in OK.

Most of my work in KS is in cattle and there are a lot of cattle in KS.

Lots of wind farms in that state too.

I am really surprised Marshall has stayed so long, maybe too long

4 hours ago, CBFan said:

Sounds like Omaha

6 hours ago, NH said:

Yes, schools are getting rich off of D1 Football Players and some D1 Basketball Players. That is why they can afford to pay coaches such outlandish salaries. There is perhaps no other industry in the United States with such a lucrative compensation structure. That is why the NCAA is in front of congress. That is why they are paying hundreds of millions in lawsuits over what amounts to unfair compensation practices. The reason that athletes can’t make that much money doing other things is because they are not operating in an open market.

NH   That's life though.  Approximately 10 majors cater to and education to most students at an entire university and yet all students are suppose to pay the same tuition and then the schools take this money to subsidize the other less popular majors.  It has to be so much cheaper to educate a business major than a science or engineering student.  Music and drama departments and dance recitals are money drains. Many schools fund entire departments upon government funded research. Within the pharmaceutical industry, a handful of money making drugs provide most of the revenue for and subsidize all the other hundreds of drugs and research which arguably are equally important. Airlines (prior to COVID 19) made most of their money on certain lucrative flights/routes which subsidize flights to less popular cities and more remote areas.  I could go on but life is full of examples of the few generate the most.