Transfers and grad transfers - 2020

ACE

15 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Do we even know if Stockard even is considering leaving K State?

What's unusual this year is that every college student (including basketball players) are back in their homes/home towns -- and have been there for this past month. Usually, they would not head home from school until after school is over and long after most transfers have transferred.  Now, these kids (Stockard) are back home, yes going to school on-line, but are away from their (K State) friends, teammates and coaches -- and likely are more subject than normal - to pressures to leave their existing schools and transfer. Not surprised Stockard is hanging out with 2 SLU players.   Our out of town players are likely doing the same.   

I don't think he is in the portal.

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I really don’t see this as being a big issue, it’ll hurt a lot of the lower 200 teams, and benefit the top 40 yearly, but anyone in between it’s not much changed.  

14 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

I disagree. I think things will get very down and dirty if this passes. 

Agree, this would be awful for us.  As soon as Goodwin shows he is a stud Sophomore year, Coach Cal comes and tells him to come play his last 2 at Kentucky and he will become a top 15 draft pick.  All first team conference players in every conference would move up a tier in competition every year and leave their previous team high and dry.

willie and cgeldmacher like this

11 hours ago, wgstl said:

I really don’t see this as being a big issue, it’ll hurt a lot of the lower 200 teams, and benefit the top 40 yearly, but anyone in between it’s not much changed.  

26 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

I disagree. I think things will get very down and dirty if this passes. 

7 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Agree, this would be awful for us.  As soon as Goodwin shows he is a stud Sophomore year, Coach Cal comes and tells him to come play his last 2 at Kentucky and he will become a top 15 draft pick.  All first team conference players in every conference would move up a tier in competition every year and leave their previous team high and dry.

I'm kind of a glass half empty guy on this.  I'll give it three years and see how it has impacted the mids. I'm not sure we want to make our living based on P5 rejects.

If you look at the portal today, there are a large number of quality mid major players who are intent on transferring.  So in that aspect, the door is already open.  I've made up this scenario before, but Jimerson could be ripe for picking if he has a great next season for us.  Take your pick of ACC schools closer to VA that would put on their poaching hat and talk to him.  When the NIL gets passed, yikes.  Chaifetz can only hire so many interns each year. 

12 hours ago, Coach314 said:

😣 this was my pick...the more time passes tho I don't think it will happen.  Hope I am wrong.  He would be a great fit with this group.

Okay, I only saw Stockard play twice on the tube this past season. So I don't know his game that well.  

I'm not sure why there is so much excitement about his possible interest in SLU.  Sure he is local and is a Vashon grad, but his resume isn't strong.  Last season he averaged 3.7 ppg and 1.9 rpg in 16.6 mpg on a not so good team.  I hope we could do better.

Please give me something to chew on.  Thanks.

billiken_roy likes this

59 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Keep winning and we'll be one of those teams that would benefit. easy fix. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Okay, I only saw Stockard play twice on the tube this past season. So I don't know his game that well.  

I'm not sure why there is so much excitement about his possible interest in SLU.  Sure he is local and is a Vashon grad, but his resume isn't strong.  Last season he averaged 3.7 ppg and 1.9 rpg in 16.6 mpg on a not so good team.  I hope we could do better.

Please give me something to chew on.  Thanks.

That's understandable to have that viewpoint.  Especially without any background information and Levi not being in the transfer portal.  

Levi had the highest FG%  (50) and third highest FT % on the team.  Weber gave two freshmen forwards more minutes.  One shot 40%...the other 39%.  Levi is a solid big who can score in the low post with good footwork.  K State's offense revolves around perimeter shooting....and they didn't have any lol.  The bigs jobs were to set high screens and rebound.  Hard to rebound when you are running 4-out 1-in and your perimeter player jacks up a shot as soon as he rolls of the high pick.  Weber has been recruiting players with different skillsets than what he actually wants. He wanted Makol Mawein (PF) to be a back to the basket center.  He had no moves and bad hands.  He wanted Stockard to be a rebounding machine/shot blocker.  He wanted David Sloan to walk the ball up and play great defense.  He wanted Shaun Williams (a scorer who played off the ball most of his high school career) to be a playmaker.

Having said all that....I was hinting at Levi because of things I heard recently.  Last Friday there was a very good opportunity his name would go in the portal.  I thought he would make the move.  Looks like I was wrong.  Let's move on to those who have been offered or are available.  

19 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

That's understandable to have that viewpoint.  Especially without any background information and Levi not being in the transfer portal.  

Levi had the highest FG%  (50) and third highest FT % on the team.  Weber gave two freshmen forwards more minutes.  One shot 40%...the other 39%.  Levi is a solid big who can score in the low post with good footwork.  K State's offense revolves around perimeter shooting....and they didn't have any lol.  The bigs jobs were to set high screens and rebound.  Hard to rebound when you are running 4-out 1-in and your perimeter player jacks up a shot as soon as he rolls of the high pick.  Weber has been recruiting players with different skillsets than what he actually wants. He wanted Makol Mawein (PF) to be a back to the basket center.  He had no moves and bad hands.  He wanted Stockard to be a rebounding machine/shot blocker.  He wanted David Sloan to walk the ball up and play great defense.  He wanted Shaun Williams (a scorer who played off the ball most of his high school career) to be a playmaker.

Having said all that....I was hinting at Levi because of things I heard recently.  Last Friday there was a very good opportunity his name would go in the portal.  I thought he would make the move.  Looks like I was wrong.  Let's move on to those who have been offered or are available.  

Any chance he’s waiting to see the status of the proposed transfer rule change?

47 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Any word on if schools would have any say in where the player could transfer?  For example, could they transfer to a different school in same conference? 

The NCAA already allows players to transfer and become eligible immediately in some sports. Currently, it's up to each conference on weather they allow a player to transfer in conference and be eilgible without sitting a year. 

Mid majors will get hammered by this don't sit one out rule. It makes the whole mid major universe a new recruiting field for the P5 elites and even non elites. You take a kid like Perkins who only had offers from La Tech and SLU coming out of JUCO, a P5 needs a scorer. Knock knock is Javonte home this is coach Scumbag from big time P5 University, I have a spot open that's ideal for him. And remember we have a big poach coach living right up the road. You don't think he'd like to snag Yuri or Jimerson. I do worry about a kid like Jimerson being hunted down by the ACC. He probably grew up an ACC fan. Let UVA, Duke, UNC suddenly appear at this doorstep what's he gonna do? That's got to be tempting for a kid who probably grew up shooting hoops in his driveway imagining himself as a Cavalier or a Blue Devil. 

This basically sucks and very much favors the P5 as they inch their way towards taking over the dance. 

cgeldmacher likes this

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm kind of a glass half empty guy on this.  I'll give it three years and see how it has impacted the mids. I'm not sure we want to make our living based on P5 rejects.

If you look at the portal today, there are a large number of quality mid major players who are intent on transferring.  So in that aspect, the door is already open.  I've made up this scenario before, but Jimerson could be ripe for picking if he has a great next season for us.  Take your pick of ACC schools closer to VA that would put on their poaching hat and talk to him.  When the NIL gets passed, yikes.  Chaifetz can only hire so many interns each year. 

Once it's a rule for 3 years, it will be almost impossible to take it back.  The non Power 5 conferences need to reject this now.

47 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Thanks for the informative response.  Bottom line for me, whomever Coach Ford gets, I'm with him.  If the ESPN report is correct, and there is a possibility of a no sit-out rule for this upcoming season, does that put Levi back into play?

Add this potential new rule to the NBA likely postponing their draft until late summer, and next season in college basketball will be, well, different. Coaches could be looking for players after school starts.

48 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Doesn't mean you were wrong a week ago, thanks for posting what you are hearing even it some of it doesn't come to fruition as recruiting is always a dynamic situation.

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

Keep winning and we'll be one of those teams that would benefit. easy fix. 

Even it we keep our players and keep winning, almost every other team in the conference would get wiped out every year.  That will decrease our value since we're playing in a much weaker conference.  Do you think Obi Toppin would have stayed at Dayton if he could have transferred to a top program?

If this passes, I would feel pretty confident in saying that Jimerson would leave at some point.  Maybe Bell too.  The problem is, every diamond in the rough recruit that Ford finds will be recruited away.

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

Bruh if you think East Jesus College has the same voting power as Duke or UNC, you’re crazy. One Duke is worth fifty smaller schools in the NCAA’s eyes

Bruh, it's a fact.   My understanding is that the voting is done by conference.  Each conference gets one vote.  There are many more non-Power 5 conferences than Power 5 conferences.  The problem will be mid major and lesser conferences being pressured to "do the right thing."  Although, I'm still not sure why allowing free transferring is the right thing for kids that are supposed to be getting an education.

On 4/8/2020 at 4:49 PM, wgstl said:

I believe someone noted that he actually may be a traditional transfer, sit one and play either 1 or 2

He may be a traditional transfer, but with him already playing 3 full seasons at K State, he won't be here more than a season, unless you meant something different by "1 or 2". Do we know where the rumor started that he is even thinking about leaving K State?