Transfers and grad transfers - 2020

ACE

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Exactly.  Getting a transfer from a high-major that didn't work out is how a lot of mid-majors get better. SLU, Dayton, San Diego State, Nevada and Rhode Island have all benefitted from that arrangement the last 5 years

Well said.

And which is why I am hopeful we still get a transfer. Two great years of success have made both the representations of SLU and Coach Ford go up and alot of minutes will soon be available next year with the graduations of Goodwin, French and Perkins.

Maybe the chance of NCAAA changing its rules and not having to sit out a year is working against us - no room this year but plenty next year.

Josh Pierre-Louis is another former SLU offer transferring. Leaving Temple after his freshman year. Averaged 12.7 MPG in 27 games, scoring 3.8 PPG and dishing out 1.3 APG. Slashline was .429/.378/.467 so only the 3-point shooting is attractive there, but it's a fairly limited sample size on the others. Sit one, play three.

We tracked Brendon Gooch in HS at Althoff but I don't have any interest in a guy who hasn't done much at SIUC in three seasons and has to sit one to play one.

Landers Nolley had a SLU offer once and is leaving Virginia Tech but he's already released a list and we're not on it.

Marcedus Leech is leaving Iowa State to go the JUCO route for a season.

Tyler Bertram is leaving Charlotte for Binghamton, close to home.

Only other former SLU offer I'm seeing out there right now who we haven't already discussed is Alex O'Connell, who we offered early but who went to Duke and is now leaving. I haven't seen a list from him yet.

I thought scouring the whole transfer list for familiar names today would be more fruitful. Oh well.

15 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Josh Pierre-Louis is another former SLU offer transferring. Leaving Temple after his freshman year. Averaged 12.7 MPG in 27 games, scoring 3.8 PPG and dishing out 1.3 APG. Slashline was .429/.378/.467 so only the 3-point shooting is attractive there, but it's a fairly limited sample size on the others. Sit one, play three.

We tracked Brendon Gooch in HS at Althoff but I don't have any interest in a guy who hasn't done much at SIUC in three seasons and has to sit one to play one.

Landers Nolley had a SLU offer once and is leaving Virginia Tech but he's already released a list and we're not on it.

Tyler Bertram is leaving Charlotte for Binghamton, close to home.

Only other former SLU offer I'm seeing out there right now who we haven't already discussed is Alex O'Connell, who we offered early but who went to Duke and is now leaving. I haven't seen a list from him yet.

I thought scouring the whole transfer list for familiar names today would be more fruitful. Oh well.

Count me in for Josh Pierre-Louis.

Cameron Mack is leaving Nebraska after one season "due to family circumstances" but he's leaving his name in the NBA draft and keeping his eligibility.

He's from the Austin area, played part of one season at Stephen F. Austin before going to Salt Lake CC to wrap up his freshman year. Then he redshirted for a year and played this past season at Nebraska. He started 25 of 28 games, averaged 34.8 MPG, 12.0 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 6.4 APG, and 1.3 SPG. Wasn't a particularly efficient scorer - .386/.339/.569 - and also averaged 2.6 turnovers but he's intriguing.

I'm guessing he's looking to go closer to home based on his statement but he was one of the first recruits Ford reached out to after taking the SLU job back in 2016.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Is he the former 5* from PB? If so, what a weird career so far.

13 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Is he the former 5* from PB? If so, what a weird career so far.

Yeah, Leech technically left back in November. He's now going to Iowa Western (not sure when he decided to go there, or started, or will start). He had some off-court issues and injuries in HS. We offered early on in HS but his situation has been a mess for a few years now.

Cordell Pemsl is a guy we recruited back when Crews was coaching. Grad transfer leaving Iowa. Minutes and points have decreased each year he's been there, which I believe is called the "Crews Curve". Probably no relationship with the existing staff but his size (6-9, 248) and experience makes him at least somewhat intriguing.

He served two short suspensions this season - the first was 2 games to start the season after a DUI and the second in February because he got caught driving despite a suspended license from the first incident.

32 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Cordell Pemsl is a guy we recruited back when Crews was coaching. Grad transfer leaving Iowa. Minutes and points have decreased each year he's been there, which I believe is called the "Crews Curve". Probably no relationship with the existing staff but his size (6-9, 248) and experience makes him at least somewhat intriguing.

He served two short suspensions this season - the first was 2 games to start the season after a DUI and the second in February because he got caught driving despite a suspended license from the first incident.

He's a lunch pail kind of player.  Excellent body control in the post (think Dwayne Evans) and great defender/rebounder.  He is not a gunner because of his knees and the current Hawkeyes love to run (top offensive in B1G).  So, the minutes weren't there and won't be next year.  He would fit in well with the Billikens-truly.  He is probably looking to catch on somewhere where he can get 20 minutes a game.  I don't know that it is something we can offer him.  He can hang with B1G post players and he's a great passer.  I'd like to have him but it depends on who else we could get.

31 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

He's a lunch pail kind of player.  Excellent body control in the post (think Dwayne Evans) and great defender/rebounder.  He is not a gunner because of his knees and the current Hawkeyes love to run (top offensive in B1G).  So, the minutes weren't there and won't be next year.  He would fit in well with the Billikens-truly.  He is probably looking to catch on somewhere where he can get 20 minutes a game.  I don't know that it is something we can offer him.  He can hang with B1G post players and he's a great passer.  I'd like to have him but it depends on who else we could get.

Pemsl could play the 4 or the 5 in our conference.  He's a more skilled DJ Foreman and would cut into Jimmy Bell's minutes.  I'd rather continue Bell's improvement than postpone it for a year and possibly lose him as a transfer. 

The big kid out of Coppin State is a better fit for our situation, IMO.  We'd have him for two years after French graduates.  Pemsl would leave with French.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Sounds like exactly what we need.

https://watchstadium.com/college-basketballs-2019-20-midseason-transfer-list-10-31-2019/

List by conference and team.  Good up through about 24 hours ago.  Interesting that Sean East from UMass is heading to Bradley.

Without counting, it appears that the A10 has a high number of transfers compared to other leagues.  The SEC is getting hit pretty hard also.

Rapolas Ivanauskas (6-10, 230) is a guy we recruited out of HS (under Crews) and who is leaving Colgate as a grad transfer. He started his college career at Northwestern and wound up taking medical redshirts both his freshman and sophomore years.

He started all 69 games he appeared in over two seasons at Colgate, averaging 13.9 PPG, 7.4 RPG, and 1.8 APG on a slashline of .473/.341/.702. His shooting percentages and basically all stats dipped across the board this past season from the prior year, when he was Patriot League POY.

He'd be instantly eligible and I'm not sure if he'd have just one or two seasons remaining.

19 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

What a psycho this guy is

Blue font, maybe little Bill but he may have netted another 10k from Coach K to recommit.

3 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Blue font, maybe little Bill but he may have netted another 10k from Coach K to recommit.

now now, duke doesnt pay their players.   they do have a history of getting the players parents undeserved over paid employment and housing situations, but never the proverbial bag o money.