Transfers and grad transfers - 2020

ACE

2 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I haven't seen anything beyond Carter's tweet, but this makes a lot of sense from my perspective. He has a history with Ford, and he's just a 1 year guy. 

And that one year bridge is enough to see if Diarra needs to be recruited over, or if he'll have a key role his last two years. 

Gok sounds like a defensive player, which Id rather have of the 2 skill options in a GT big.  We'll have enough scorers. 

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

He played 11 minutes last year.  Too many if's.

Also - a few weeks ago I was talking to some family members who live in and are big Florida gator fans, apparently the players are starting to really despise him, and they were guessing coach Whites time there is very limited.  Could be one of the reasons he left.

19 hours ago, Pistol said:

Help me out - why are people talking about Stockard? Just a rumor?

K-State has 4 outgoing transfers and 3 graduating players. There's a big coming in from UTEP but he has to sit a year. I don't think the incoming bigs - Lewis and Bradford - are already better than Stockard. Seems like it would be foolish of Stockard to transfer at this point. He finally has a chance to get some big minutes there. He'd also be sitting a year to play one. Doesn't seem worth it.

A few reasons. 

1) could have to do with playing in front of family more on his last year

2) If he knows basketball is over after this year, what does it matter if he gets a ton of PT.  Some players would rather less PT for a chance for a special season ie weaver

3) Kstate will still be in the cellar next year. Not exactly a fun party for seniors.

To me, it wouldn't be surprising. 

1 hour ago, ACE said:

I would certainly have interest. He provides two things that Bell does not - rebounding and shot-blocking. I think a big who can do this two things to prepare for the departure of HF is our biggest need.

Could Bell pull down 9 rebounds a game as a 27 min a game starter in the SWAC?  Probably. If you project his current stats out to 27 min in the much tougher A-10, you get 6 rebounds a game.  

41 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Im starting to get on the Gok train.  Its risky, hes injury prone, but if he can stay healthy and log 6-10 min a game im happy. 

Read Carter's tweet carefully - he is totally spit balling. There is no report, like the Coppin State kid, that we have even reach out to Gok. I mentioned this kid as a possibility for us when Ford was hired and considering the connection, but after seeing how his career has played out, I'm not interested. 

1 minute ago, ACE said:

Read Carter's tweet carefully - he is totally spit balling. There is no report, like the Coppin State kid, that we have even reach out to Gok. I mentioned this kid as a possibility for us when Ford was hired and considering the connection, but after seeing how his career has played out, I'm not interested. 

I know there's nothing there.  Im just saying for players out there on the market right now, im starting to open up to Gok because there are connections to be had. 

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Could Bell pull down 9 rebounds a game as a 27 min a game starter in the SWAC?  Probably. If you project his current stats out to 27 min in the much tougher A-10, you get 6 rebounds a game.  

We'll see. Bell's rebounds are sure to go up when HF and JG graduate. I don't think Bell could get 2 bpg in the SWAC. Ford possibly likes the idea of rolling a bunch of bigs out there the way the Hall was able to this past year.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

A few reasons. 

2) If he knows basketball is over after this year, what does it matter if he gets a ton of PT.  Some players would rather less PT for a chance for a special season ie weaver

3) Kstate will still be in the cellar next year. Not exactly a fun party for seniors.

I think @Coach314 has subtly hinted at it being a possibility too.  

1 hour ago, ACE said:

We'll see. Bell's rebounds are sure to go up when HF and JG graduate. I don't think Bell could get 2 bpg in the SWAC. Ford possibly likes the idea of rolling a bunch of bigs out there the way the Hall was able to this past year.

With french and goodwin around not a lot of rebounds left to get. Bell did a lot of blocking out walling off that allowed others to get the rebound. he will get better numbers when french is gone

4 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

With french and goodwin around not a lot of rebounds left to get. Bell did a lot of blocking out walling off that allowed others to get the rebound. he will get better numbers when french is gone

Good point.   And as good as Goodwin is at getting rebounds, you're right, he might actually make a good rebounder appear otherwise.  There are only so many rebounds to get !!

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

A few reasons. 

All solid points.  I have reason to believe David Sloan might not be coming back ...to add to the list of reasons.

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

I think @Coach314 has subtly hinted at it being a possibility too.  

It is a possibility.  They want another big.  Be it Stockard or someone else.

3 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

All solid points.  I have reason to believe David Sloan might not be coming back ...to add to the list of reasons.

It is a possibility.  They want another big.  Be it Stockard or someone else.

Yikes. Weber has obviously done a great job at KSU, but sounds like the program might be on life support a bit if all the above is true. Losing over half your squad from an 11-win team. Looks like they have a strong recruiting class coming in at least. Should be plenty of minutes available for Bradford/Kasubke.

15 minutes ago, NH said:

Yikes. Weber has obviously done a great job at KSU, but sounds like the program might be on life support a bit if all the above is true. Losing over half your squad from an 11-win team. Looks like they have a strong recruiting class coming in at least. Should be plenty of minutes available for Bradford/Kasubke.

1 hour ago, NH said:

Yeah.  Crazy year up there.  It will be interesting to see what kind of minutes Luke gets.  Wing players had the green light to shoot last year....whether they were good shooters or not 😂.  

Drew Peterson is transferring from Rice. SLU recruited him in HS (Libertyville, IL). 6-8 wing who averaged 11.1 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 3.5 APG. Not as efficient as you'd like to see but had a reputation as a deadeye shooter in HS and could possibly boost his 32.8% 3FG% in another system/program. Sit one, play two.

Ricky Lindo out of Maryland is another kid we recruited. DMV area kid who stayed home but never made much of an impact. Minutes and production actually went down as a sophomore. He had planned to do a prep year but Maryland was in need of depth two years ago and he decided to jump. Got his minutes as a defender and rebounder and at 6-8, 220, could probably be a solid 4 in the A10. Sit one, play two.

Just throwing these out there as I'm focusing on guys where there was a previous recruiting relationship.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Drew Peterson is transferring from Rice. SLU recruited him in HS (Libertyville, IL). 6-8 wing who averaged 11.1 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 3.5 APG. Not as efficient as you'd like to see but had a reputation as a deadeye shooter in HS and could possibly boost his 32.8% 3FG% in another system/program. Sit one, play two.

Ricky Lindo out of Maryland is another kid we recruited. DMV area kid who stayed home but never made much of an impact. Minutes and production actually went down as a sophomore. He had planned to do a prep year but Maryland was in need of depth two years ago and he decided to jump. Got his minutes as a defender and rebounder and at 6-8, 220, could probably be a solid 4 in the A10. Sit one, play two.

Just throwing these out there as I'm focusing on guys where there was a previous recruiting relationship.

I would be more excited about both of these guys than many of the names we’ve seen on here so far.

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

i am intrigued by both.   cant teach 6'8"  espcially Lindo which fits my want of a real power forward.   i think our bigs is the only area that is glaringly short handed next year.  

41 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i am intrigued by both.   cant teach 6'8"  espcially Lindo which fits my want of a real power forward.   i think our bigs is the only area that is glaringly short handed next year.  

Yep.  Intrigued as well.  So hard to tell   With regular, sit out 1 years transfers, now comes yet another iimportant aspect of a head coach -- connections among your fellow coaches/piers.  The coaches of these players know exactly what these kids are like.  Will they tell the truth?  and to whom?

Not all transfers work out.  Some need a new environment, different teammates, a different coach/schemes and/or an opportunity (no longer being in the shadow of someone else) ... but is still a good player, good teammate, a coachable kid and would be a great addition to our team. Javon Bess left MSU b/c he was recruited over.  My gut reaction has always been to not take other team's guys who did not work out, but then again, we give our own bigs (Diarra...) a "pass" b/c bigs develop slower, are not all expected to contribute early on, need to put on weight, gain strength, recover from injuries,  learn defense/footwork  which had been lacking/not taught in high school.  If so, then why judge a kid only on his Freshman and/or Sophomore stats?

At the same time, if a kid fails at another school, maybe he simply is not good enough at the high D1 level, may lack the work ethic to improve, is not really coachable b/c he continues to things "his way", continues to rely upon his own athleticism as opposed to team play/team defense.

Thankfully, Travis and staff not only have excellent player evaluation skills but also have extensive contacts among fellow coaches/piers.

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

My gut reaction has always been to not take other team's guys who did not work out

Tremaine Isabell is an interesting case study in someone who didn't work out for a team - Mizzou, did work out for a team - Drexel, then worked out for yet another team as a grad transfer - SLU. 

Just shows how someone not "working out" can be dependent on so many different factors.  

Clock_Tower likes this

17 minutes ago, Compton said:

Tremaine Isabell is an interesting case study in someone who didn't work out for a team - Mizzou, did work out for a team - Drexel, then worked out for yet another team as a grad transfer - SLU. 

Just shows how someone not "working out" can be dependent on so many different factors.  

Javon Bess, DJ Foreman, the list goes on