Transfers and grad transfers - 2020

ACE

32 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Aaron Cook is transferring from SIU-C and is a grad transfer. 6'2 guard from Westminster Christian Academy. For those who see a need to replace Weaver, this could possibly be that from a position stand point, but some different skill sets.

i look at weaver's body of work this past year, and while i admit at times he was the best we had for the situation he was in, i am in the boat we can do a lot better.   in no way do i want to replicate weaver for a roster position.  

i also agree with taj that another small guard while might be sufficient for the a-10 isnt going to cut it when we meet up with big 5 conference lineups.    

right now our roster is pretty good imo.   if we add to it, we should not take "the best we can get".   we should look for the next french, or even better french with a shot beyond 5 feet.   or we should look for the next goodwin or even better the next goodwin that can make near 40% of this 3's and shoot close to 70% free throws.   we should look for another perkins who also has an additional 15 lbs of muscle and can indeed guard other teams second big.    we should look for a bigger yuri that isnt afraid to shoot and make 3's.   

if we cant find one of those 4 unicorns, let's pocket the scholarship and keep looking through the current high school juniors.  

bauman likes this

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i look at weaver's body of work this past year, and while i admit at times he was the best we had for the situation he was in, i am in the boat we can do a lot better.   in no way do i want to replicate weaver for a roster position.  

i also agree with taj that another small guard while might be sufficient for the a-10 isnt going to cut it when we meet up with big 5 conference lineups.    

right now our roster is pretty good imo.   if we add to it, we should not take "the best we can get".   we should look for the next french, or even better french with a shot beyond 5 feet.   or we should look for the next goodwin or even better the next goodwin that can make near 40% of this 3's and shoot close to 70% free throws.   we should look for another perkins who also has an additional 15 lbs of muscle and can indeed guard other teams second big.    we should look for a bigger yuri that isnt afraid to shoot and make 3's.   

if we cant find one of those 4 unicorns, let's pocket the scholarship and keep looking through the current high school juniors.  

But if it is between "saving the scholarship" and taking a grad transfer like Cook, you always take the grad transfer instead of leaving that roster spot open. Once FT and later GJ went down, we would have been screwed if Weaver weren't on the roster.

1 minute ago, ACE said:

But if it is between "saving the scholarship" and taking a grad transfer like Cook, you always take the grad transfer instead of leaving that roster spot open. Once FT and later GJ went down, we would have been screwed if Weaver weren't on the roster.

i think this is an ok move.   i think that is kind of what we did with weaver last year.    if the spot is open and a grad transfer only ties that spot for the one year, i agree that is acceptable.   i just dont want to settle for a lesser player just because we have spot and then tie the spot up for 4 years.  

1 minute ago, ACE said:

I agree in not saving the scholarship as we have seen how injuries can affect a team. For example, Weaver became much needed when Fred and GJ went down. That being said, Cook would be a nice addition for one year to provide depth in that same situation. However, he might be looking to go somewhere and play 30 minutes a game as well. 

19 minutes ago, mdscott24 said:

I agree in not saving the scholarship as we have seen how injuries can affect a team. For example, Weaver became much needed when Fred and GJ went down. That being said, Cook would be a nice addition for one year to provide depth in that same situation. However, he might be looking to go somewhere and play 30 minutes a game as well. 

Not sure if he will play 30 min a game wherever he's going, but he will definitely get some high major offers.  If Miles Reynolds could play major minutes at Oklahoma, this kid's a no-brainer.

almaman likes this

Aaron Cook would be an awesome Grad Transfer for us. That said, I think I would prefer a big like Stockard (if he ends up transferring) or an underclassmen like Alan Griffin (who I know we are out of the running for). If those options aren't available, would love to add a guy like Cook for a season. 

6 minutes ago, NH said:

Aaron Cook would be an awesome Grad Transfer for us. That said, I think I would prefer a big like Stockard (if he ends up transferring) or an underclassmen like Alan Griffin (who I know we are out of the running for). If those options aren't available, would love to add a guy like Cook for a season. 

Cook could play 25min a game for a Big 12 or an SEC team.  Why would he come be a backup here?

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Cook could play 25min a game for a Big 12 or an SEC team.  Why would he come be a backup here?

That's basically my point. Could he help us and play here, yes. But is he going to take minutes away from Yuri, JG, GJ, DJ, and possibly FT? Probably not, and you know Yuri and JG are taking 30 minutes a game at least, and GJ will get his share assuming he returns to full health. DJ did as a soph this season basically what Cook did as a soph at SIU. For one season, the timing many not be right for him. Now on to Stockard: He's had 3 years at KSU. Would he be a grad transfer? Otherwise, under the current transfer rules he'd have to sit a year, right?

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I want Russell because I like his attitude, he's local, and he's Yuri's cousin - or a big. 

I should have clarified, just talking GT.  Fixed it. 

1 hour ago, mdscott24 said:

That's basically my point. Could he help us and play here, yes. But is he going to take minutes away from Yuri, JG, GJ, DJ, and possibly FT? Probably not, and you know Yuri and JG are taking 30 minutes a game at least, and GJ will get his share assuming he returns to full health. DJ did as a soph this season basically what Cook did as a soph at SIU. For one season, the timing many not be right for him. Now on to Stockard: He's had 3 years at KSU. Would he be a grad transfer? Otherwise, under the current transfer rules he'd have to sit a year, right?

Stockard would not be a grad transfer.  

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I agree with you, especially the part about Weaver. Only problem with trying to find those unicorns is they are typically 5 star players who won't be coming to SLU.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I'll take a player  equivalent to any of French, Goodwin, Perkins, Yuri, Jimerson, or Bell 

Help me out - why are people talking about Stockard? Just a rumor?

K-State has 4 outgoing transfers and 3 graduating players. There's a big coming in from UTEP but he has to sit a year. I don't think the incoming bigs - Lewis and Bradford - are already better than Stockard. Seems like it would be foolish of Stockard to transfer at this point. He finally has a chance to get some big minutes there. He'd also be sitting a year to play one. Doesn't seem worth it.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

K-State has 4 outgoing transfers and 3 graduating players. There's a big coming in from UTEP but he has to sit a year. I don't think the incoming bigs - Lewis and Bradford - are already better than Stockard. Seems like it would be foolish of Stockard to transfer at this point. He finally has a chance to get some big minutes there. He'd also be sitting a year to play one. Doesn't seem worth it.

Agree

9 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Agree. If Stockard is not a grad transfer, makes little sense for us to take him if he even wants to transfer. Good news about Fred.