Transfers and grad transfers - 2020

ACE

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

the original triple double machine and get to the basket guy.  

thanks for reminding me i am old.

I watched him at Crispus Attucks HS in Indy.  His triple double season in the NBA was the GOAT.  It was much tougher to do in 1962 than it is today.

brianstl likes this

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Is this becoming a competition to see who is the oldest among us? I qualify to enter in this contest, although I have no doubt someone else will prove to be older than me.

old guy i have met you.   you are older than me.   since i have met all three of you,  i am thinking it is you, willie and slu72 competing for the title.  😉  j/k guys

Goodwin reminds me of former Syracuse point forward Paul Harris, a 6-5 230 lb specimen who excelled at bully ball.  He played from 2006-2009 when the Big East was arguably the deepest league in college basketball.  His best season was 14.5 ppg 8.2 rpg 3.3 apg 1.7 spg as a sophomore.  Was invited to Utah Jazz preseason camp as an undrafted free agent but got injured the week before camp.

brianstl likes this

old guy i have met you.   you are older than me.   since i have met all three of you,  i am thinking it is you, willie and slu72 competing for the title.  😉  j/k guys

I think I take this as a compliment. I didn’t see him in high school but I did see him play Louisville in college. 

I really did not see anyone doing much of anything throughout a big chunk of my life.  We did not have a TV after I was 15. I got my first TV in 1979, but by then I had no habit of watching TV and just didn't, my ex and my kids did. It was not until after my divorce and meeting my second wife that I developed a taste for basketball and TV shows. I am glad to concede the crown of oldest and longest term basketball fan to Willie or Slu72.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I watched him at Crispus Attucks HS in Indy.  His triple double season in the NBA was the GOAT.  It was much tougher to do in 1962 than it is today.

I lived in Ohio so went to a couple of games in 62 as an 8 year old falling in love with basketball. Met Oscar on the floor during warm-ups and that same year was able to stand next to Wilt to see how tall he was... different times then. 

HoosierPal likes this

Graduated from high school in 1969.  Do I win?  Or at least top 3?  I have @billikenblue beat.

1 hour ago, Billikenbooster said:

HS grad in 65

mhg

I would not have guessed that.   You have aged very well!

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I would not have guessed that.   You have aged very well!

When I was at SLU, I was able to take a school sponsored bus trip to Cincinnati to see the Billikens play the Bearcats with Oscar.  That was a thrill.  The place was packed.  I think the final score was about 70-40, Bearcats.

I might add that the drinking age in Ohio was 18 at the time, so I took advantage of the opportunity.

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Goodwin reminds me of former Syracuse point forward Paul Harris, a 6-5 230 lb specimen who excelled at bully ball.  He played from 2006-2009 when the Big East was arguably the deepest league in college basketball.  His best season was 14.5 ppg 8.2 rpg 3.3 apg 1.7 spg as a sophomore.  Was invited to Utah Jazz preseason camp as an undrafted free agent but got injured the week before camp.

That's a good comp. J-Good is one of the weirdest and most enjoyable players I remember watching. I think of a kid from BC named Ryan Sidney who played alongside Troy Bell. Great rebounder, great off-the-ball defender. Shot a set shot from the outside. Was unbelievable as a post-player and open court player. A power guard. 

Goodwin's greatest strength is his motor. He never seems tired. Preternatural on the offensive boards. His mid-range game has been solid this season. His shot does not look great. Laterally he doesn't move that well, and 1-on-1 he takes a lot of risks and his guy gets by him, but rarely scores. As a ball-handler he seems a little shaky, but makes a lot of good passes and sees the floor well. Strange combo of a total winner and okay decision-maker. There's something Westbrook about him, as you'd never want to curtail that ferocity even though in a few games you want to bang your head. I'd go to war with Goodwin every day of the week and 2x on Sunday. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Wow, maybe only Top 5 for me??  Impressive. I'm feeling younger by the minute.  We need @willie and @slu72 to weigh in (or maybe age in.)

Same here Booster. Class o' 65 rocks. 3 year hitch in the Navy postponed my college plans. But if I hadn't done it, I'd of been a BC or Seton Hall grad. So all's well that ends well. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Agreed.  We could have an entire thread on how it was to grow up in the 1940's, 50's and 60's before it got.......well you know.

Probably should avoid that. We know and that's good enough for me. 

43 minutes ago, papal said:

I started following the Bills on the radio- listening to Harry Carry  describe Oscar Roberstson score 50 against the Bills whose name player wasthe late Bevo Nordmann.  By the way, I am class of 62, SLUH.  

You may be the new "winner".