Transfers and grad transfers - 2020

ACE

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

The way I read as he hasn't had any talks. The team dispersed from NY, each going his own way.....French staying there?....Hankton heading to NC....Jacobs to Chicago....Diarra to wherever he went.  Perhaps he had some time on the flight home to talk to the STL based players, but I'm guessing he never had the 'end of season' talks. The way I read this is that no one said to him, prior to the tourney, of any alternate plans.  I could be wrong.....it won't be the first time.

And I am with Billiken Roy in the belief that only if a player decides on his own to leave should he do so.  No running off players who commited to you, the coach, during recruiting.  I have no problem with a coach telling a player his playing time is questionable, but end the conversation there.

French staying in NY? What's that supposed to imply? 

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, wgstl said:

That’s, where he lives ? 

24 minutes ago, wgstl said:

That’s, where he lives ? 

I know that. Your post seemed to imply he might not come back. And with Pitino in that zip code it scared me. Color me paranoid. 

Bonner getting drafted didn’t help us one iota. Pretty much ditto for Jimmy Irving(Bulls,) Harry Rogers(Spirits,) Robin Jones(Blazers,) Maurice Jeffers, and Larry Hughes.

The first step is the team getting to the Sweet Sixteen, and THEN having one or two players drafted, and then playing minutes in the NBA.

One year flashes can catch young kids’ attention, but they mainly want to play at a school that makes the dance routinely. The branding combination that reinforces successful programs are a winning program, extensive tv exposure, and a beaten path to the NBA.

11 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

He is here unless he is going to be a first round pick in the NBA draft.

Agree.

So he will be back.

No team is going to draft a 6’6” forward who only scores within 4 feet of the basket. 
I love French. He’s the perfect A-10 power forward but if he plans on getting drafted he has a lot of work to do.

TheChosenOne likes this

dennis rodman was/is a couple of inches taller than french, but is in the basketball hall of fame with no game beyond putbacks and layups.  

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

dennis rodman was/is a couple of inches taller than french, but is in the basketball hall of fame with no game beyond putbacks and layups.  

That’s true he was also a once in a generation player when it came to rebounding.

He also played 4 years in college and was a second round pick after averaging 25 and 15. 
Rodman number one priority was rebounding but he occasionally put up shots. He went 82 of 355 from 3 in his career not good but just enough to make you guard him. He also had a year with the Pistons that he hit 32 of 100 from 3.  So he could shoot a little.

brianstl likes this

5 minutes ago, dlarry said:

That’s true he was also a once in a generation player when it came to rebounding.

He also played 4 years in college and was a second round pick after averaging 25 and 15. 
Rodman number one priority was rebounding but he occasionally put up shots. He went 82 of 355 from 3 in his career not good but just enough to make you guard him. He also had a year with the Pistons that he hit 32 of 100 from 3.  So he could shoot a little.

Rodman, also, was the best defender in the NBA during most of his time with the Pistons.  He wasn't as strong defensively after leaving the Pistons, but while playing with the Pistons he was head and shoulders better than anyone else in the NBA when it came to one on one defense.  

my best in person memory of rodman (with jordan and pippen) i attended a bulls game in chicago and i noticed that EVERY possession, the three of them were the first ones down the floor every time.   they so obviously worked harder than anyone else on the floor.   

you never see that stuff on tv as the camera focuses on the ball not the floor.  

larry thanks for the 3 point shooting stats on rodman.  that really surprised me as i did not remember him doing anything but defense and rebounds and running the floor. 

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Rodman, also, was the best defender in the NBA during most of his time with the Pistons.  He wasn't as strong defensively after leaving the Pistons, but while playing with the Pistons he was head and shoulders better than anyone else in the NBA when it came to one on one defense.  

Shows how young I am, and how little interest I have in the NBA. Had no clue he ever played in Detroit. 

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

my best in person memory of rodman (with jordan and pippen) i attended a bulls game in chicago and i noticed that EVERY possession, the three of them were the first ones down the floor every time.   they so obviously worked harder than anyone else on the floor.   

you never see that stuff on tv as the camera focuses on the ball not the floor.  

larry thanks for the 3 point shooting stats on rodman.  that really surprised me as i did not remember him doing anything but defense and rebounds and running the floor. 

It’s awesome you saw that team live. Might be one of the best sports teams ever. The NBA talks a lot about “big 3’s” now but you will never have a big 3 that matches the defensive intensity those guys had.
I saw Jordan play with the Wizards in Memphis but by that time he wasn’t Jordan anymore. 

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Shows how young I am, and how little interest I have in the NBA. Had no clue he ever played in Detroit. 

Those Detroit teams were great....I hated them!

The bad boys. If you drove the lane against them you were going to end up on your backside. 
If you are looking for something to watch while quarantined check out the 30 for 30 “Bad Boys.” 
It’s amazing to see the difference in physicality between the game then and the game now.

JohnnyJumpUp and wgstl like this

I like Ben Wallace as a comp better than Dennis Rodman. Similar build, although I think Wallace was an inch or two taller and probably has him beat on wingspan, as well. Not an offensive threat away from the basket, horrible FT shooter (.414 career), and one of the best shot blockers and rebounders in the NBA in the early 00s.

I'm not sure how successful either Wallace or Rodman would be in today's game but both had such exceptional skills in a few areas that I'm sure they'd be playing - just maybe not quite the careers they had.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I like Ben Wallace as a comp better than Dennis Rodman. Similar build, although I think Wallace was an inch or two taller and probably has him beat on wingspan, as well. Not an offensive threat away from the basket, horrible FT shooter (.414 career), and one of the best shot blockers and rebounders in the NBA in the early 00s.

Names like Thomas Robinson, Patrick Patterson, and Derrick Williams come to mind as relatively recent comps. It is difficult to think of too many comps of late because a lot of guys who have similar strengths and limitations who have made it in the NBA are probably more in the 6'9-6'11 range as opposed to 6'6-6'7. Hard to imagine him getting a look without developing some sort of perimeter game (a few of those comps have far different offensive capabilities as do the Morris twins who are another comp that came to mind, but those guys can really stretch the floor). Grant Williams is another name that comes to my mind because of the lack of desirable length for the position yet still getting drafted in the 1st round after three years in college, but someone else would have to weigh in on how comparable their games are as I didn't watch a lot of Williams in college. I have no doubt French will make a living playing the game, but with his current offensive limitations and being undersized for what he is (at least for the NBA) I think it is going to be tough for that to be in the NBA. None of this is meant as a shot at the kid, I absolutely love the guy. I thought similar about Jordair Jett when Frank was talking about him being a NBA player and Jett is one of my favorite Billikens of all time.

22 minutes ago, NH said:

Montrezl Harrell feels like the best comp to me

Good play. I think Harrell has a crazy wing-span, but is listed at 6'7 and that relentless effort level which we see from French. Quick search of Harrell bring Ike Diogu, Kenneth Faried, JJ Hickson, and Bo Outlaw as other comps.