Transfers and grad transfers - 2020

ACE

Grad transfers are starting to hit the market  and will continue over the next several weeks as the season concludes for more teams. One of the first to hit the market - Kobe Webster, a guard from Indy who played for Western Illinois, averaged 17 ppg.

As it stands now, we don't seem to have an obvious need for a grad transfer like the prior two off-seasons, but circumstances can change and Ford has proven that he will explore a variety of avenues to add players - Jucos, sit one transfers, grad transfers, prep school and the foreign market. 

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Coach Ford will be less likely to accept a grad transfer going forward.  He has stated that he's just gotten things stabilized with regard to his recruiting flow (I'm paraphrasing), so I think he'll want to get four-year players much more than one-year grad-transfer rentals.

Won't this be the last off-season for grad transfers, pretty much?  Will the NCAA keep that rule on the books if they're going to adopt the one-time no-penalty transfer rule?

27 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I think Coach Ford will be less likely to accept a grad transfer going forward.  He has stated that he's just gotten things stabilized with regard to his recruiting flow (I'm paraphrasing), so I think he'll want to get four-year players much more than one-year grad-transfer rentals.

Won't this be the last off-season for grad transfers, pretty much?  Will the NCAA keep that rule on the books if they're going to adopt the one-time no-penalty transfer rule?

The thing about grad transfers is they don't really disrupt your recruiting flow, since they take a scholarship for one year and occur after high school recruiting has finished.

13 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Can't wait to read through 40 pages about players we have no interest in in the coming weeks and months.  Are the streets talking about any grad transfers?

Please don't - stick to women's basketball.

41 minutes ago, ACE said:

Interesting grad transfer just hit the market - a 7-3 Swede who averaged 10 ppg and 6 rpg for Loyola Marymount.

Sign him up, Travis!!

52 minutes ago, ACE said:

Interesting grad transfer just hit the market - a 7-3 Swede who averaged 10 ppg and 6 rpg for Loyola Marymount.

Mattias Markusson - Didnt play this year.

His numbers from last year are the kind of numbers I think we will see from Bell this year.  We could use an insurance policy, but most grad transfers want to walk into a position where they are likely to be the primary player at their position.  Personally, if a scholarship opens up, I would prefer to see a freshman rebounder who can be groomed to take major minutes when French graduates and pick up backup minutes this coming year. That said the following 247 Sports article listed Mattias as the 25th best center prior to the beginning of this season.

25. MATTIAS MARKUSSON, LOYOLA MARYMOUNT

9287395.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs (Photo: Victor Decolongon, Getty)

A 7-foot-3 center from Sweden, Markusson had a strong junior season with 10.2 points and 6.3 rebounds per game. Markusson’s shot-blocking was at its best against the Lions’ best competition, and if he carries that over into all games, he could help Loyola Marymount win more than the 22 games the Lions took in 2018-19.

Not sure if we've discussed it or not (and i'm too lazy to look), but up until recently I didn't know the Ivy league doesn't allow redshirts nor permit grad students to play.  Consequently, certain seniors get recruited by D-1 coaches almost the entire season. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28673063/is-ivy-league-transfer-policy-helping-players-hurting-them

On 3/4/2020 at 4:11 PM, ACE said:

Grad transfers are starting to hit the market  and will continue over the next several weeks as the season concludes for more teams. One of the first to hit the market - Kobe Webster, a guard from Indy who played for Western Illinois, averaged 17 ppg.

As it stands now, we don't seem to have an obvious need for a grad transfer like the prior two off-seasons, but circumstances can change and Ford has proven that he will explore a variety of avenues to add players - Jucos, sit one transfers, grad transfers, prep school and the foreign market. 

SLU72 read my mind, I was about ready to follow up on this and expand it to all transfers, so we can keep it all in one thread.

Due to corona, transfers are spreading like wildfire now - earlier than normal due to every team's season ending. Syracuse and Wichita State losing four each - WSU in particular losing two very good players. It seems there is some drama there with Marshall, who I always thought was a bit of an oddball.

In the A-10, Toro is leaving. Regarding how transfer additions could happen for SLU this spring... I think this could be a good opportunity to land a high caliber sit one transfer who can wait in the wings for a year and then make an impact following the graduation of the big three. Let's find the next Javon Bess. Another option that could make sense, considering we only have two in the junior class DJ and KCH, adding a JUCO could be a good fit.

BTW, Regarding the player from Western Illinois who got this thread rolling... He is going to Nebraska. That's a big jump from Western to the Big 10, but Nebraska is a dumpster fire at this point. 

32 minutes ago, ACE said:

BTW, Regarding the player from Western Illinois who got this thread rolling... He is going to Nebraska. That's a big jump from Western to the Big 10, but Nebraska is a dumpster fire at this point. 

I look at what Hoiberg did at Iowa State and predict Nebraska will be an upper tier Big 10 team in a year or two.  He took a 3-13 (Big 12) Iowa State team and took them to the NCAA the next season.  Nebraska was decimated with injuries and suspensions this season. They had two football players on the bench as players #8 and #9 in the Big Ten tourney.

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I look at what Hoiberg did at Iowa State and predict Nebraska will be an upper tier Big 10 team in a year or two.  He took a 3-13 (Big 12) Iowa State team and took them to the NCAA the next season.  Nebraska was decimated with injuries and suspensions this season. They had two football players on the bench as players #8 and #9 in the Big Ten tourney.

Good point. Hoiberg went heavy on transfers in building Iowa State, so it would make sense he would do it at Nebraska. That would be his quickest route for a rebuild. He had a track record of success doing it, so I'm sure that will be his sales pitch.

Today Verbal Commits lists 351 who have entered the Transfer Portal.  http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2020

Some of these were a mid season.  There are 13 from A10 schools, none of them high profile - except maybe Croswell if you want to count him as high profile.  The count will grow

Duquesne -1

GW - 4

LaSalle - 1

UMass - 3

Rhode Island - 2

Richmond - 1

St. Joe -1

In the Durando tweets with Travis, Ford indicated in talks with players no one has expressed an interest in exiting. Could be coach speak, but if that's the case we are what you see for right now. The transfer and GT portal for SLU might well be closed. Also, no room for Russell either. Glad everyone's content, but I was kind of hoping one would check out. 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

In the Durando tweets with Travis, Ford indicated in talks with players no one has expressed an interest in exiting. Could be coach speak, but if that's the case we are what you see for right now. The transfer and GT portal for SLU might well be closed. Also, no room for Russell either. Glad everyone's content, but I was kind of hoping one would check out. 

Here's what Stu said: "Ford would normally be having individual meetings with players when the season ends but that’s not happening. However, he said at this point he is of the belief that everyone will be returning for next season."

To me, it's unclear whether Ford has actually had these season ending meetings yet or not.  If not, then he can accurately say that he believes everyone is coming back. 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

very good chance that what coach said was true to this point.  Now that a player has been away, at home, with family for a long time.  This is when I feel a player could be looking into transferring. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

Here's what Stu said: "Ford would normally be having individual meetings with players when the season ends but that’s not happening. However, he said at this point he is of the belief that everyone will be returning for next season."

To me, it's unclear whether Ford has actually had these season ending meetings yet or not.  If not, then he can accurately say that he believes everyone is coming back. 

The way I read as he hasn't had any talks. The team dispersed from NY, each going his own way.....French staying there?....Hankton heading to NC....Jacobs to Chicago....Diarra to wherever he went.  Perhaps he had some time on the flight home to talk to the STL based players, but I'm guessing he never had the 'end of season' talks. The way I read this is that no one said to him, prior to the tourney, of any alternate plans.  I could be wrong.....it won't be the first time.

And I am with Billiken Roy in the belief that only if a player decides on his own to leave should he do so.  No running off players who commited to you, the coach, during recruiting.  I have no problem with a coach telling a player his playing time is questionable, but end the conversation there.

billiken_roy likes this

4 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Don't know where to put this but Wichita State is now up to SEVEN (7)!!!! transfers. 

Noah Fernandez also committed to UMass, so there is some relevancy for a10 basketball 

Noah Fernandez is a player from Woodstock, same prep school as Mitchell, Santos, Weeks and Walker (and Coach Bergeron.)  Let's hope this is all per NCAA protocol.

We apparently offered him out of Woodstock. 

UMass offered Fernandes in high school, as did Rhode Island, Fordham, DePaul, East Carolina, St. Louis and St. Bonaventure. He signed with Wichita State in Nov. 2018.

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

Sounded like he hasn't. But one would think if a player had leaving on his mind the staff would know it. Would not want to say it publicly at this point, in any event.