GDT: @ George Mason

1 minute ago, Clock_Tower said:

And you know that Ford is not demanding?  Demanding and player execution are not the same. 

Do you like to fight about everything or what? 

I know he's not demanding because French hasn't changed his behavior at all. 

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Do you like to fight about everything or what? 

I know he's not demanding because French hasn't changed his behavior at all. 

Must everything be someone else’s fault?

Ford has benched him at end of games.  French does not shoot this way in practice or in warm-ups. What more do you want Ford to do?

Just now, Clock_Tower said:

Must everything be someone else’s fault?

Ford has benched him at end of games.  French does not shoot this way in practice or in warm-ups. What more do you want Ford to do?

How do you know? The practices I've attended he has sucked as well. 

2 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Coach Ford has said so and other posters have confirmed. Now, it’s hard for me to believe that French is as accurate as coach had made French out to be but that is another issue.

do you really believe that he shoots in practice like he does in games but that his warm-ups are the only time he shoots differently? Doesn’t it seem more likely that he is having mental issues during the game And that his shooting in practice and warm-ups are similar? 

5 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

The pre-game shoot around he goes through the same motions and hits and looks good but in team practices he sucks, this is really strange.

I yell out on his free throws think shoot around or go to your happy place.

As bad as his free throws are you would think he would decide keep doing what he does at the shoot around, what does he have to lose?

What is helping now that Jimmy Bell comes in as the closer for French and it has worked well the last 2 games.  Bell’s free throw percentage is 63 percent and on the rise.

As frustrating as French’s free throws are a shot blocker and a double double player is not going to sit on the bench until closing out a lead in the last 4 minutes.

Happy Friday

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

With all his free throw woes benching him is not in our best interest.  When he sits for long periods we generally suffer on defense and offense.  Forget about it this year - that ship has sailed.  Now for the future I agree he needs to start from scratch.

Cheese, I don't think anyone's asking that he sit for long periods of the game due to his poor FT shooting. It's at the end of a tight game, say tied or a spread of only 2-3 points,  or a team making a run from say 7-10 pts down w/ 3-4 minutes left. In both scenarios they're working hard to create TO's and stops. They're not necessarily looking to put someone on the FT line who can add points.  However, if you have a guy on the floor that hits 3 out of 10 FTs you're going to target that guy every time he touches the ball. Odds are pretty good he'll miss. It makes no sense to have Has in there for offense at the end because the defenders will hack attack him the second he touches the ball. By fouling him you extend the clock and also get a TO. You really can't even have him in there for D, because the coach is going to tell his guys to foul him if he pulls down a defensive board immediately. Make the long walk, get him to miss, and you get the ball back and denied your opponent a chance at even attempting a 2 or 3 pointer. It's a bad situation, but it is what it is for Has. I think he even understands why he's got to be pulled in these situations. 

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Cheese, I don't think anyone's asking that he sit for long periods of the game due to his poor FT shooting. It's at the end of a tight game, say tied or a spread of only 2-3 points,  or a team making a run from say 7-10 pts down w/ 3-4 minutes left. In both scenarios they're working hard to create TO's and stops. You're not necessarily looking to put someone on the FT line who can add points.  However, if you have a guy on the floor that hits 3 out of 10 FTs you're going to target that guy every time he touches the ball. Odds are pretty good he'll miss. It makes no sense to have Has in there for offense at the end because the defenders will hack attack him the second he touches the ball. By fouling him you extend the clock and also get a TO. You really can't even have him in there for D, because the coach is going to tell his guys to foul him if he pulls down a defensive board immediately. Make the long walk, get him to miss, and you get the ball back and denied your opponent a chance at even attempting a 2 or 3 pointer. It's a bad situation, but it is what it is for Has. I think he even understands why he's got to be pulled in these situations. 

Obviously it also depends on foul trouble etc, but Im starting to feel more and more comfortable with having TJ and Jimmy play in the final 1:30 of a game to avoid having Has in.  For several reasons too. I like having TJ in when we see a lot of press, or if we know they plan on fouling or trapping on an inbound pass. We're 22-8 on a season in which other teams have known he cant shoot. Dont change anything up now. We know who we are. 

46 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Coach Ford has said so and other posters have confirmed. Now, it’s hard for me to believe that French is as accurate as coach had made French out to be but that is another issue.

do you really believe that he shoots in practice like he does in games but that his warm-ups are the only time he shoots differently? Doesn’t it seem more likely that he is having mental issues during the game And that his shooting in practice and warm-ups are similar? 

For anyone who's ever played golf and suffered the putting yips or chipdipsia (which I've fought for the last 2-3 years), you actually dread having to hit these shots. That is not the way to approach those shots. You need to do it with confidence. I seriously think Has is frightened to death of going to the line, and that's going to take some to time conquer, if he ever does.  

willie likes this

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Obviously it also depends on foul trouble etc, but Im starting to feel more and more comfortable with having TJ and Jimmy play in the final 1:30 of a game to avoid having Has in.  For several reasons too. I like having TJ in when we see a lot of press, or if we know they plan on fouling or trapping on an inbound pass. We're 22-8 on a season in which other teams have known he cant shoot. Dont change anything up now. We know who we are. 

I hate to say this about Has, because he's such a vital part of this team,  but he's basically dead weight on offense at the end of a tight game. Guys know not to get him the ball, because he'll be targeted. At that point, you're playing 4 on 5. 

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

For anyone who's ever played golf and suffered the putting yips or chipdipsia (which I've fought for the last 2-3 years), you actually dread having to hit these shots. That is not the way to approach those shots. You need to do it with confidence. I seriously think Has is frightened to death of going to the line, and that's going to take some time fix, if he ever does.  

The real story is yet another post-grad House that Rick Built podcast I'm looking forward to.  In the meantime, I salute coach Ford for working around our inexperience, free throw shooting, outside shooting and depth issues.  It's one of the best management jobs I've seen by a Billiken coach.

17 minutes ago, slu72 said:

For anyone who's ever played golf and suffered the putting yips or chipdipsia (which I've fought for the last 2-3 years), you actually dread having to hit these shots. That is not the way to approach those shots. You need to do it with confidence. I seriously think Has is frightened to death of going to the line, and that's going to take some to time conquer, if he ever does.  

There's a difference between someone who has the yips and someone who just doesn't have touch around the green, aka French FTs

13 minutes ago, slu72 said:

My dad is a ~5 handicap golfer and suffered with the yips a few years back when he was going through some health issues that were stressing him out. There was some book that he read that really helped him but I can't remember the title of the top of my head....if you are still having issues and are interested, I can find out.

46 minutes ago, CBFan said:

The pre-game shoot around he goes through the same motions and hits and looks good but in team practices he sucks, this is really strange.

I yell out on his free throws think shoot around or go to your happy place.

As bad as his free throws are you would think he would decide keep doing what he does at the shoot around, what does he have to lose?

What is helping now that Jimmy Bell comes in as the closer for French and it has worked well the last 2 games.  Bell’s free throw percentage is 63 percent and on the rise.

As frustrating as French’s free throws are a shot blocker and a double double player is not going to sit on the bench until closing out a lead in the last 4 minutes.

Happy Friday

CB

I truly believe you.  If you went to practices and saw bad FT shooting I believe you.   At the same time, other have good/decent/better FT shooting.  Maybe he is streaky as well.  As per 72's gold analogy, many guys are great on the practice range but terrible on the first tee.   Now, I don't believe that French hits 10 in a row every practice and that statements made by Coach Ford about him being good in practice may be both true at times, made to build confidence and made to state that he and the program and are of the same and working on it.  

Mental case during games?  Yes, I believe that.   Some mental issues during some practices?  Also believe that.   Nothing can truly be fixed during the season.

I believe Clock Tower in that nothing can really be fixed in a season.  Having said that, Goodwin seems to have gotten better while French continues in decline.  Hasahn could be a draft reach next year ---- make free throws and its the NBA; continue this route and it's tight end in the NFL.

1 minute ago, Taj79 said:

I believe Clock Tower in that nothing can really be fixed in a season.  Having said that, Goodwin seems to have gotten better while French continues in decline.  Hasahn could be a draft reach next year ---- make free throws and its the NBA; continue this route and it's tight end in the NFL.

except last game. Big step back at the GMU game. 

@wgstltrue .... but at least his shot rotation and release look so much better.  And having said that, I still sweat bullets with him.  Perkins,Bell and Hargrove miss and I am stunned most times.

8 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Am I crazy to think that French's ceiling was PJ Tucker? How much Blue Koolaid did I drink?

2 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@wgstltrue .... but at least his shot rotation and release look so much better.  And having said that, I still sweat bullets with him.  Perkins,Bell and Hargrove miss and I am stunned most times.

That was a weird FT shooting game in general. Perkins was struggling too. hoping it was a fluke from here out. 

2 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

In other FT news, Jgood and JBJ look much more consistent at the line.  Our season %age is what it is, but maybe we can strive for a post season %age around 70%.

I am not sure if this has always been the case but Goodwin seems to be shooting off his finger tips. Whatever he is shooting them better. 

2 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Am I crazy to think that French's ceiling was PJ Tucker? How much Blue Koolaid did I drink?

Poor man's Ben Wallace would be my submission for his ceiling*

*I'm not saying he will by any means be in NBA, just saying the player profile fits better.

35 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Poor man's Ben Wallace would be my submission for his ceiling*

*I'm not saying he will by any means be in NBA, just saying the player profile fits better.

Oh that is a good call. I was thinking more along my *wishful* think that Has ever developed any sort of offensive game.