GDT: @ George Mason

37 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Ford has a tolerance for 2 3pt shots a game from most everyone...if they are good shots. Naturally, if you make one, or two, keep going until you are underwater, or you take bad 3s.

The rookies are getting their feet wet, and doing well. Bell made a good midrange set shot. Hargrove made his bullet 3. 
We defended well, played good step up help defense, and once again survived the touch fouls while we couldn’t buy a foul on GMs Christmas tree defense in the paint(having at least one or two defenders draped on our bigs.)

Agree - Ford is OK with a player taking a 3 unless it is early in the shot clock and he is not wide open.  I did not see Hargrove's shot but from how it was described on the board it was definitely was a good shot in Ford's book.  Making the shot should not be the only factor in encouraging a player.  

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

Agree - Ford is OK with a player taking a 3 unless it is early in the shot clock and he is not wide open.  I did not see Hargrove's shot but from how it was described on the board it was definitely was a good shot in Ford's book.  Making the shot should not be the only factor in encouraging a player.  

It was an open look deep in the clock. We all said that it was a ballsy shot to take last night when it happened, but I don't think Coach Ford would have been upset with it either way.

28 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Man, when TJ shoots in rhythm it looks pure.  The one last night and the 3 pointer from the game before looked as good as anyone's outside shot has all season.  Dude is going to be an absolute monster by his Jr. year.  I could actually see him in the league at some point assuming he keeps this trajectory going.  He's got all the attributes to be a dominating player. 

Also, how about that assist from Bell to TJ last night?  That was a thing of beauty. And the long 2 pointer? We're just scratching to surface of what Jimmy can do.  

I’ve talked myself into like half this roster in the league at various points in the year. This group is a ton of fun and has potential to spare. 

Be careful, John, a league player does it all the time. 
We were all salivating back in the day, when Larry Hughes made Matt Baniak a virtual lock on the all conference freshmen team. Sophomore season rolled around, with Larry gone, and suddenly Baniak was a mere mortal.

Flashes of brilliance is divergent from brilliance, game after game.

The team that has two potential NBA players is undefeated in league play.

I realize I'm the MBM's worry wart, but our dilemma going into the tourney is what to do w/Has in the final 3-4 minutes of a tight game or one where the opponent is making a run to catch us like when Mason got within 4. 

Obviously, the opponent will do everything to send Has to the FT line. In their minds, Has at the line is as good as forcing a turn over in the closing minutes. On the one hand, we need his D and board work, but on O he becomes something of a liability. He can't do damage around the rim, because he will be hacked mercilessly and immediately.  Last night I think he was pulled with about 4 minutes left, and Jimmy Bell did a good job. You have to think this may be the strategy going forward. 

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I realize I'm the MBM's worry wart, but our dilemma going into the tourney is what to do w/Has in the final 3-4 minutes of a tight game or one where the opponent is making a run to catch us like when Mason got within 4. 

Obviously, the opponent will do everything to send Has to the FT line. In their minds, Has at the line is as good as forcing a turn over in the closing minutes. On the one hand, we need his D and board work, but on O he becomes something of a liability. He can't do damage around the rim, because he will be hacked mercilessly and immediately.  Last night I think he was pulled with about 4 minutes left, and Jimmy Bell did a good job. You have to think this may be the strategy going forward. 

Survey SAYS!  JBJr

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Every team has this problem to a certain extent with their big men. Ours is just worse.

-Rammer brought it up post-game with CFord but how about the agility JBJr showed late in the game guarding the Mason player on the perimeter? his footwork enabled him to stay in front and not allow a drive to the basket, that was great for any big

2 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Man, when TJ shoots in rhythm it looks pure.  The one last night and the 3 pointer from the game before looked as good as anyone's outside shot has all season.  Dude is going to be an absolute monster by his Jr. year.  I could actually see him in the league at some point assuming he keeps this trajectory going.  He's got all the attributes to be a dominating player. 

Also, how about that assist from Bell to TJ last night?  That was a thing of beauty. And the long 2 pointer? We're just scratching to surface of what Jimmy can do.  

I really like Jimmy at the top of the three point line.  He's found French several times over the top where French is boxing his man away from the basket.  He finds guys slashing to the basket, like that Perkins pass.  When he's out there, the lane is wide open.  Let's keep doing that more.

Reinert310 likes this

Looking at big men in the league at the line:

French ....................... 32.2%

Toppin ....................... 70.1%

Landers ..................... 60.7%

Tshimanga ................ 56.0%

Golden ....................... 71.1%

Cayo............................ 80.0%

Langevine .................. 48.6%

Weathers ................... 69.4%

Hughes ...................... 65.6%

Osunniyi ..................... 57.6%

Brajkovic .................... 70.9%

Santos-Silva ............... 54.9%

Douglas ...................... 58.3%

Mitchell ....................... 71.7%

Toro ............................. 54.0%

Paar .............................. 51.9%

Croswell ....................... 55.2%

Wilson .......................... 60.0%

Mar ............................... 75.0%

Calixte .......................... 31.6%

Oduro ............................ 58.3%

Ohams ........................... 42.3%

Soriano .......................... 64.5%

Only Calixte, a part-time, non integral offensive guy shoots worse than Hasahn.  Andno one, with the exception of Santos-Silva means as much for their team as Hasahn does.

10 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Looking at big men in the league at the line:

French ....................... 32.2%

Toppin ....................... 70.1%

Landers ..................... 60.7%

Tshimanga ................ 56.0%

Golden ....................... 71.1%

Cayo............................ 80.0%

Langevine .................. 48.6%

Weathers ................... 69.4%

Hughes ...................... 65.6%

Osunniyi ..................... 57.6%

Brajkovic .................... 70.9%

Santos-Silva ............... 54.9%

Douglas ...................... 58.3%

Mitchell ....................... 71.7%

Toro ............................. 54.0%

Paar .............................. 51.9%

Croswell ....................... 55.2%

Wilson .......................... 60.0%

Mar ............................... 75.0%

Calixte .......................... 31.6%

Oduro ............................ 58.3%

Ohams ........................... 42.3%

Soriano .......................... 64.5%

Only Calixte, a part-time, non integral offensive guy shoots worse than Hasahn.  Andno one, with the exception of Santos-Silva means as much for their team as Hasahn does.

I kind of assumed Has was last in the NCAA so I’m taking the above post as very positive news!

moytoy12 and brianstl like this

Pitiful.  All on Has. Shame we have to wish our guy could be be 50%.  He was not like this as either a Freshman or Sophomore. His form is worse now than ever.  Worse as the year goes on. Time for a jump shot at the line before an offseason overhaul. If not, agree, he must ride the bench. 

39 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Pitiful.  All on Has. Shame we have to wish our guy could be be 50%.  He was not like this as either a Freshman or Sophomore. His form is worse now than ever.  Worse as the year goes on. Time for a jump shot at the line before an offseason overhaul. If not, agree, he must ride the bench. 

With all his free throw woes benching him is not in our best interest.  When he sits for long periods we generally suffer on defense and offense.  Forget about it this year - that ship has sailed.  Now for the future I agree he needs to start from scratch.

Some of us have observed Has in warmups shooting about 10-15 FTs and, surprisingly, he makes a lot of them. His form is different in warmups than in the game. It looks fluid in the pregame, but in the game he's forcing and pushing the shot. His misses aren't even close and downright ugly. Get him to a shrink. 

24 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Some of us have observed Has in warmups shooting about 10-15 FTs and, surprisingly, he makes a lot of them. His form is different in warmups than in the game. It looks fluid in the pregame, but in the game he's forcing and pushing the shot. His misses aren't even close and downright ugly. Get him to a shrink. 

Actually he’s flicking his shot at the rim. Not using his whole body.

DirtyRican likes this

37 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

With all his free throw woes benching him is not in our best interest.  When he sits for long periods we generally suffer on defense and offense.  Forget about it this year - that ship has sailed.  Now for the future I agree he needs to start from scratch.

My comments, like the others i believe, are directed at the end if a game.  

29 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Yes. This is very odd. And must really be frustrating with the coaches. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Taj's list didn't include Bell. Isn't he somewhere near 60% from the line? 

Not sure what the context is here, but just checked and Mr. Bell is hitting 70.4% FT in 17 conference games.  19 out of 27.  I'll take that.

Yes, Bell is better.  Smaller sample size but i don't seem to sweat the same bullets when Bell, Hargrove and Perkins go to the line late as I dowith Goodwin, Hasahn and Collins.

Free throws are a matter of repetition.  French doesn't have a repeatable style.  When the first misses he goes to Plan B. And f05 is right, he is flicking the ball at the rim. All one has to do is watch Perkins for repeated style and form.  This season is done ..... he is what he is.  Embrace the horror.  But at least Ford has realized to get him out of there down the stretch.  That's not going to work all the time but at least it seems we know.

8 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

French’s form is the worst I have ever seen. I do blame Ford for not demanding he shoot it differently. 

And you know that Ford is not demanding?  Demanding and player execution are not the same. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

slu72 and I were at the Davidson game and his comment here is spot on. I watched him shoot 20 or so FTs in warm-ups and he made at least 70% with either 8 or 9 in a row going in at one point. His shot then looks nothing like it does in a game. He looked a basketball player shooting those shots with some lower body motion and coordination between the upper and lower body movements. In a game, he looks like he's lobbing a shot put with a wrist flick at the end. No leg motion and his body is frozen in place. One of the oddest things I've seen is the difference in his form in practice vs. a game.

Having worked with some aspiring young golfers over the years, I've seen players who can't duplicate their practice swing when hitting a shot, but there's no difference between the swings they strike the ball with on the range or the course. Has' situation is unusual and has to be very frustrating for everyone involved.