A 10 Tourney Seeding

Duquesne is still alive for a 3 or 4 seed.  They lost to Rhode Island, so 2 is out of their reach.  They win out, and Richmond loses out, #3 is the Dukes.  There is a lot on the line tonight for the Dukes as well as for us. Even with a loss, Duquesne is still very still alive for a 4 seed.

This is from a VCU message board, but it looks like VCU will be short again tonight.  Jenkins appears to be done for the year.

Morale is low because of injuries and health issues. Two of the seniors will be out for senior night. Marcus Evans is hurt and De'Riante Jenkins, a fan favorite, has left the team due to health issues.

So tonight--Marcus Evans is out. De'Riante Jenkins is out. Corey Douglas is out. Vince Williams is out. Maybe you should take the Dukes and the points. That is unless you think the VCU players and fans can will the team to victory.

I think Rhoades will hold Evans and Williams out until the tournament in Brooklyn and play lots of the young guys these last two games.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Richmond secured a second double bye for the A10 tourney.  Two remain.  Rhode Island controls their own fate, as now does Duquesne.  So we need help from Richmond over Duquesne, and/or Rhode Island losing at home to Dayton and then losing at UMass.  If we don't win out, then none of this matters.  Seeds 3 to 7 still possible for the Bills.

Pistol likes this

5 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Odds will go way up with a win tonight and a URI loss. I'm personally hoping URI wins to get more A-10 teams in the tourney

sounding like you're rooting more for A10 and bids than slu making it. 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

sounding like you're rooting more for A10 and bids than slu making it. 

Oh, I'm 100% rooting for SLU to make it. URI win over Dayton also strengthens our best win of the season. I'd rather the path be Richmond beating Duquesne on Friday. If VCU didn't choke last night, that would have been great. I also don't think it's the worst thing in the world to play the 12/13 team on Thursday, and get that one game under the belt as the 5 seed before the 4/5 game. I like the revenge tour rolling through Duquesne and Dayton. 

10 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

ABC1A762-7EDA-4F51-B8E5-A87177C841D0.png

So St. Bona has a ceiling of 4th.  Didn't know that.  Richmond is playing for an NCAA tourney bid, so that game v Duquesne will be full throttle for both teams.

Even if Duquesne beats Richmond, we still have the possibility of Rhode Island losing to UMass for 4th.  And even with a W, Duquesne could still lose out if St. Bonnie wins.   This is an excellent posting.

TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE with one game to go.

If the Tourney started today:
Wednesday, March 11 at Barclays Center, Brooklyn, NY
Game 1: 12. George Mason (4-13) vs 13. Saint Joseph's (2-15) 1:00 PM ESPN+
Game 2: 11. La Salle (5-12) vs 14. Fordham (2-15) 3:30 PM ESPN+

Thursday, March 12 at Barclays Center, Brooklyn, NY
Game 3: 8. Massachusetts (8-9) vs 9. VCU (8-9) 12:00 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 4: 5. St. Bonaventure (11-6) vs Game 1 Winner 2:30 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 5: 7. Davidson (9-8) vs 10. George Washington (6-11) 6:00 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 6: 6. Saint Louis (11-6) vs Game 2 Winner 8:30 PM NBC Sports Network

Friday, March 13 at Barclays Center, Brooklyn, NY
Game 7: 1. Dayton (17-0) vs Game 3 Winner 12:00 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 8: 4. Duquesne (11-6) vs Game 4 Winner 2:30 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 9: 2. Richmond (13-4) vs Game 5 Winner 6:00 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 10: 3. Rhode Island (12-5) vs Game 6 Winner 8:30 PM NBC Sports Network

Saturday, March 14 at Barclays Center, Brooklyn, NY
Game 11: Game 7 Winner vs Game 8 Winner 1:00 PM CBS Sports Network
Game 12: Game 9 Winner vs Game 10 Winner 3:30 PM CBS Sports Network

Sunday, March 15 at Barclays Center, Brooklyn, NY
Game 13: Championship Game 1:00 PM CBS

SEEDS
1. Dayton 17-0 (GW)
2. Richmond 13-4 (@Duquesne)
3. Rhode Island 12-5 (@UMass)
4. Duquesne* 11-6 (Richmond)
5. St. Bonaventure* 11-6 (@SLU)
6. Saint Louis* 11-6 (SBU)
7. Davidson 9-8 (VCU)
8. Massachusetts 8-9** (URI)
9. VCU 8-9** (@Davidson)
10. George Washington 6-11 (@Dayton)
11. La Salle 5-12 (@ST Joes)
12. George Mason 4-13 (@Fordham)
13. Saint Joseph’s 2-15*** (LAS)
14. Fordham 2-15*** (GM)

* Duq 2-1, Bona 1-1, SLU 0-2 vs group
** UMass beat VCU
*** St Joes beat Fordham
----------------------

The following tiebreaker format is utilized for determining the seeding in the Atlantic 10 Men’s Basketball Championship:

Two-Team Tie
1. Head-to-head competition.

2. Conference record of the tied teams based on winning percentage versus the highest
common opponent and proceeding down to the lowest common opponent, if necessary, until
one team gains an advantage.

a. All ties are broken in descending order.
b. When arriving at another pair of tied teams, use each team’s record against the tied teams
as a group. When comparing records against a group of teams, the higher winning
percentage will prevail. In case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of 1.000 or
.000, the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.

3. Coin toss.

Three or More-Team Tie

1. Head-to-head competition.

a. Use each team’s record against the tied teams as a group rather than performance
against individual teams. When comparing records against a group of teams, the higher
winning percentage will prevail. In case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of
1.000 or .000, the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.

2. If the above results in two teams remaining, the two-team tiebreaker is used.

3. If more than two teams still remain, use the Conference record of the tied teams based on
winning percentage versus the highest common opponent and proceeding down to the
lowest common opponent, if necessary, until one team gains an advantage.

a. All ties are broken in descending order.
b. When arriving at another pair of tied teams, use each team’s record against the tied teams
as a group. When comparing records against a group of teams, the higher winning
percentage will prevail. In case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of 1.000 or .000,
the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.

4. Draw lots.

NOTE: All ties will be broken in descending order. When arriving at another pair of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the tied teams as a group rather than the performance against individual teams. Once ties are broken, they remain broken throughout the tie-breaker process.

SLU_Lax, Pistol and billiken_roy like this

Best case: Richmond, UMass, and SLU win this weekend. That 3-seed would be sweet.

The only outcome I don't like is us at the 5 and Duquesne at the 4 - which means that Duquesne, UMass, and SLU win. Richmond and Duquesne play on Friday night and UMass and Rhody tip an hour before us on Saturday. If Duquesne and UMass win, I might be pulling for us to tank the second half.

Let's just pull really hard for Richmond tomorrow night.

7 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

I'm not opposed to an A10 Tourney "Revenge Tour". Us taking down 4 or 5 seed Duq & 1 seed Dayton in the quarters and semis to avenge 4 of our 8 total losses is a nice talking point come selection Sunday. Plus I'd just love to beat the crp out of both of them.

There is also something to be said about having to beat a team 3 times and how incredibly difficult it is.

30 minutes ago, 2010andBeyond said:

I want the four seed and Dayton in the semis. I think if we lose to Dayton in the final, we aren’t getting in. But if we beat Dayton in the semis and lose to someone like Richmond in the final, we might get in anyway. 

I’d rather beat a 2/3 and then beat Dayton in the finals. That would mean we made the tournament AND have a decent seed 

1 hour ago, glazedandconfused said:

Most definitely. I also think matchup-wise, Hargrove's emergence probably gives us more defensive options in a matchup with Weathers. 

Hargrove was manhandled by Weathers in our first matchup with Duquesne. Ford failed to provide him with help throughout that game, although he did reduce Hargrove's minutes greatly in the second matchup. Of course, Weathers still ate us alive in the second matchup. Our inability to contain Weathers is the main reason Duquesne is our worst matchup in the A10.

1 minute ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Hargrove was manhandled by Weathers in our first matchup with Duquesne. Ford failed to provide him with help throughout that game, although he did reduce Hargrove's minutes greatly in the second matchup. Of course, Weathers still ate us alive in the second matchup. Our inability to contain Weathers is the main reason Duquesne is our worst matchup in the A10.

If possibly I’d like to avoid umass too