A 10 Tourney Seeding

https://www.a10talk.com/a-10-tournament-bracketology-entering-the-final-week/

Yeah, another new thread.  The great discussion on A10 tourney seeding is buried in several other threads. Hence the vital need to start a new one.

This article discusses the chaos that is 2-7 in the A10 today and how it may or may not break out.  Worth a read, but then these games have not been played.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In some of the other threads, I've been surprised to hear a lot of people dissing Duquesne -- I'm not sure why; they were the best team against us, outside of Dayton, both times in fact.I even took a look at their schedule -- they have a few bad losses, for sure, including one vs. GW. But just last week they went to Olean and beat St. Bonnie, so they seem pretty tough to me.  To be honest, I thought both URI and VCU were disappointing, and we also hammered Richmond. So DuQ might beat VCU tomorrow.  Other than Dayton -- they seem to be the toughest matchup for us right now.  Spoiler alert: after all the talk about URI & Richmond, what if the Dukes win it all???  Spoiler alert #2: we may face them first, as the #4 vs. 5 match.  YIKES!  But it's pretty tough losing 3 in a row in one season, so look out Dukes and Flyers...

16 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

In some of the other threads, I've been surprised to hear a lot of people dissing Duquesne -- I'm not sure why; they were the best team against us, outside of Dayton, both times in fact.I even took a look at their schedule -- they have a few bad losses, for sure, including one @ Fordham. But just last week they went to Olean and beat St. Bonnie, so they seem pretty tough to me.  To be honest, I thought both URI and VCU were disappointing, and we also hammered Richmond. So DuQ might beat VCU tomorrow.  Other than Dayton -- they seem to be the toughest matchup for us right now.  Spoiler alert: after all the talk about URI & Richmond, what if the Dukes win it all???  Spoiler alert #2: we may face them first, as the #4 vs. 5 match.  YIKES!  But it's pretty tough losing 3 in a row in one season, so look out Dukes and Flyers...

Imagine saying the first part of the bolded text and then including a but

12 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

In some of the other threads, I've been surprised to hear a lot of people dissing Duquesne -- I'm not sure why; they were the best team against us, outside of Dayton, both times in fact.I even took a look at their schedule -- they have a few bad losses, for sure, including one @ Fordham. But just last week they went to Olean and beat St. Bonnie, so they seem pretty tough to me.  To be honest, I thought both URI and VCU were disappointing, and we also hammered Richmond. So DuQ might beat VCU tomorrow.  Other than Dayton -- they seem to be the toughest matchup for us right now.  Spoiler alert: after all the talk about URI & Richmond, what if the Dukes win it all???  Spoiler alert #2: we may face them first, as the #4 vs. 5 match.  YIKES!  But it's pretty tough losing 3 in a row in one season, so look out Dukes and Flyers...

I was looking at that very same matchup, meeting up with the Dukes in the 4/5 game.

I'm not sure if it is a match-up issue or what, but we have not played well against Duquesne.  I believe there were a handful of MBM's who earlier this season were dissing the Dukes. 

VCU was preseason top dog in the A10. That didn't work out so well.

10 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Imagine saying the first part of the bolded text and then including a but

Duq didn't lose at Fordham though, so the bolded text is counter-factual and also sort of crazy to include with a but.

Edit: They have a pretty awful home loss to GW so maybe that's what he was talking about?

Edited by RUBillsFan
SLU_Nick likes this

23 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

It's more the optics. Duquense is a very tough matchup for SLU...that said, "we lost to Duquense" doesn't lead to much traction in bubble talks. 

5 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Duq didn't lose at Fordham though, so the bolded text is counter-factual and also sort of crazy to include with a but.

Edit: They have a pretty awful home loss to GW so maybe that's what he was talking about?

I thought I was going crazy, I didn't remember that - apparently not everything you read on the internet is true

39 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Once Duquesne loses at VCU tomorrow, SLU will fully control it's own path to the double bye. We own the head to head against teams 2 and 3, so in case one of them goes 0-2 this week, SLU can move up to a 3 seed. Just win out! 

VCU's kind of sucks right now. Dambrot's a good coach, so I wouldn't chalk this up as a sure loss for the Dukes. I don't know why they kicked our butts twice but it happened. Enough about them. Let's do it one game at a time. Take down the Patriots, then those fouckers from Olean in those shite brown unis.  

23 minutes ago, slu72 said:

VCU's kind of sucks right now. Dambrot's a good coach, so I wouldn't chalk this up as a sure loss for the Dukes.

VCU played last game against George Washington without Evans, Jenkins, Douglas and Williams. The Rams still went 9 deep. 

If they are down these four again, particularly Evans and Jenkins, the odds may tilt a little to the Dukes, which isn't good.  This game is our best shot at shedding Duquesne off our backs for the Top 4 seed.  Hughes and Weathers will be a tough matchup for Santos-Silva and Vann.  Douglas has played inside, so his loss would hurt.

Kind of sad to say that our immediate Top 4 seed destiny is in the hands of VCU tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I was looking at that very same matchup, meeting up with the Dukes in the 4/5 game.

I'm not sure if it is a match-up issue or what, but we have not played well against Duquesne.  I believe there were a handful of MBM's who earlier this season were dissing the Dukes. 

VCU was preseason top dog in the A10. That didn't work out so well.

Duquesne has a shotblocking 5, an athletic four man who can score inside and out who also blocks shots, and two quick guards who han handle and shoot.  They nullify our natural advantage in the paint both offensively and defensively and are a tough cover for our guards.  Absolutely hate this matchup.  Other teams who are more potent from the perimeter can just fire away from the outside against the Dukes.

TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
Wednesday, March 11 at Barclays Center, Brooklyn, NY
Game 1: 12. George Mason (4-12) vs 13. Saint Joseph's (2-14) 1:00 PM ESPN+
Game 2: 11. La Salle (5-11) vs 14. Fordham (1-15) 3:30 PM ESPN+

Thursday, March 12 at Barclays Center, Brooklyn, NY
Game 3: 8. Massachusetts (7-9) vs 9. VCU (8-8) 12:00 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 4: 5. St. Bonaventure (10-6) vs Game 1 Winner 2:30 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 5: 7. Davidson (9-7) vs 10. George Washington (6-10) 6:00 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 6: 6. Saint Louis (10-6) vs Game 2 Winner 8:30 PM NBC Sports Network

Friday, March 13 at Barclays Center, Brooklyn, NY
Game 7: 1. Dayton (16-0) vs Game 3 Winner 12:00 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 8: 4. Duquesne (10-6) vs Game 4 Winner 2:30 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 9: 2. Richmond (12-4) vs Game 5 Winner 6:00 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 10: 3. Rhode Island (12-4) vs Game 6 Winner 8:30 PM NBC Sports Network

Saturday, March 14 at Barclays Center, Brooklyn, NY
Game 11: Game 7 Winner vs Game 8 Winner 1:00 PM CBS Sports Network
Game 12: Game 9 Winner vs Game 10 Winner 3:30 PM CBS Sports Network

Sunday, March 15 at Barclays Center, Brooklyn, NY
Game 13: Championship Game 1:00 PM CBS

SEEDS
1. Dayton 16-0 (@URI, GW)
2. Richmond** 12-4 (Davidson, @Duquesne)
3. Rhode Island** 12-4 (Dayton, @UMass)
4. Duquesne* 10-6 (@VCU, Richmond)
5. St. Bonaventure* 10-6 (St Joes, @SLU)
6. Saint Louis* 10-6 (]@GM[/USER], SBU)
7. Davidson 9-7 (@Richmond, VCU)
8. VCU 8-8 (Duquesne, @Davidson)
9. Massachusetts 7-9 (@LAS, URI)
10. George Washington 6-10 (Fordham, @Dayton)
11. George Mason 4-12 (SLU, @Fordham)
12. La Salle 5-11 (UMass, @ST Joes)
13. Saint Joseph’s 2-14 (@SBU, LAS)
14. Fordham 1-15 (@GW, GM)

* Duq 2-1, Bona 1-1, SLU 0-2 vs group
** Richmond beat Rhode Island
----------------------

The following tiebreaker format is utilized for determining the seeding in the Atlantic 10 Men’s Basketball Championship:

Two-Team Tie
1. Head-to-head competition.

2. Conference record of the tied teams based on winning percentage versus the highest
common opponent and proceeding down to the lowest common opponent, if necessary, until
one team gains an advantage.

a. All ties are broken in descending order.
b. When arriving at another pair of tied teams, use each team’s record against the tied teams
as a group. When comparing records against a group of teams, the higher winning
percentage will prevail. In case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of 1.000 or
.000, the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.

3. Coin toss.

Three or More-Team Tie

1. Head-to-head competition.

a. Use each team’s record against the tied teams as a group rather than performance
against individual teams. When comparing records against a group of teams, the higher
winning percentage will prevail. In case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of
1.000 or .000, the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.

2. If the above results in two teams remaining, the two-team tiebreaker is used.

3. If more than two teams still remain, use the Conference record of the tied teams based on
winning percentage versus the highest common opponent and proceeding down to the
lowest common opponent, if necessary, until one team gains an advantage.

a. All ties are broken in descending order.
b. When arriving at another pair of tied teams, use each team’s record against the tied teams
as a group. When comparing records against a group of teams, the higher winning
percentage will prevail. In case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of 1.000 or .000,
the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.

4. Draw lots.

NOTE: All ties will be broken in descending order. When arriving at another pair of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the tied teams as a group rather than the performance against individual teams. Once ties are broken, they remain broken throughout the tie-breaker process.

3 hours ago, JettFlight5 said:

It's more the optics. Duquense is a very tough matchup for SLU...that said, "we lost to Duquense" doesn't lead to much traction in bubble talks. 

I’ll take every other team in Brooklyn besides the Dukes.

I'll be the first MBM in line to say I dissed the Dukes .... and I still do.  I will also be the first MBM to say I learned a valuable lesson this year from three-star regarding matchups and how the Dukes seem to have our number.

My scouting review on the Dukes has no changed since January:  Weathers is a decent four and Carry is a control-the-ball point.  Hughes is a shot-blocking center and Austin shows promise as a freshman.  Dunn-Martin is a midget who shoots the three.  Norman, Steele, Rotroff and Buckley are nothing to write home about.

What happens in games:  we turn Weathers into all-world.  He has averaged 26 ppg and 6.5 rpg in the two games against us.  This i don't understand because we have Hasahn.  At best I see that as a push.  Hughes looks to block everything and we have a decent spaceeater in Jimmy Bell.  Again another push maybe a minor advantage to Hughes.  Carry always has the ball but I think the arsenal of Goodwin, Jacobs, Collins and even Hargrove can answer that.  Weaver can negate Dunn-Martin.  I'd also take Hargrove, Jacobs and Collins over Austin and Norman every day of the week.  And no one they have can measure up to Perks.  Yet Duquesne killed us twice by a total of 28 points.  

I get losing at Duquesne; I really am more confused losing by the same score/margin at home.

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I'll be the first MBM in line to say I dissed the Dukes .... and I still do.  I will also be the first MBM to say I learned a valuable lesson this year from three-star regarding matchups and how the Dukes seem to have our number.

My scouting review on the Dukes has no changed since January:  Weathers is a decent four and Carry is a control-the-ball point.  Hughes is a shot-blocking center and Austin shows promise as a freshman.  Dunn-Martin is a midget who shoots the three.  Norman, Steele, Rotroff and Buckley are nothing to write home about.

What happens in games:  we turn Weathers into all-world.  He has averaged 26 ppg and 6.5 rpg in the two games against us.  This i don't understand because we have Hasahn.  At best I see that as a push.  Hughes looks to block everything and we have a decent spaceeater in Jimmy Bell.  Again another push maybe a minor advantage to Hughes.  Carry always has the ball but I think the arsenal of Goodwin, Jacobs, Collins and even Hargrove can answer that.  Weaver can negate Dunn-Martin.  I'd also take Hargrove, Jacobs and Collins over Austin and Norman every day of the week.  And no one they have can measure up to Perks.  Yet Duquesne killed us twice by a total of 28 points.  

I get losing at Duquesne; I really am more confused losing by the same score/margin at home.

SLU will win a 3rd Meeting. I “ain’t afraid of no” Dukes ...

10 hours ago, slu72 said:

What do ya think about the Bonnie's. Hell, I'm worried about them. 

I hate to tell you slu72, you worry too much. Just concentrate your worries upon George Mason, then after the game is over move your worries onto the Bonnies. I think we will win both games, but I am a glass half full guy.

Duq's play at VCU and Richmond.   2 tough games remaining.   Our other 4 seed competition St. Bonaventure, has St. Joe and us.  Need a little help with Duq and we handle business vs the welders and GMU we get top 4 seed. 

A10 tournament last 5 years, 5 different champions.  That's conference parity.  SLU trying to be the first to repeat since Temple 2008, 2009, 2010.

we keep talking about RI losing their last 2, Richmond is in a similar boat. If Davidson gets the upset @ Richmond, Richmond has to follow up with a W @duquesne