At Large Talk

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Because there are ten teams in their conference with 18-11 records or better.  It's almost impossible to get a bad loss in that conference and very easy to get Q1 wins.

Exactly. St Johns is 4-12 (with 2 of those wins against last place DePaul)  in the Big East and has lost 6 of their last 8, yet they have a NET of 64. But in a league where the last place team has a NET of 81 and 5 of the teams have a NET of 25 or better, where would the bad losses come from?   

Utah State (Considered last 4in): 

21-8 record— 2-4 Q1 , 2-2 Q2 , 7-2 Q3 , 10-0 Q4, SOS: 121 , Away: 4-6

Billikens (Not even considered for bubble):

20-8 record— 2-5 Q1 , 2-1 Q2 , 9-2 Q3 , 7-0 Q4, SOS: 93, Away: 6-4

Please explain to me how Utah St is on the right side of the bubble and we aren’t even being considered right now

8 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Please explain to me how Utah St is on the right side of the bubble and we aren’t even being considered right now

There is no legitimate explanation.  I look at those teams considered IN, knowing that SLU is better than a number of them.

20 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

It must have something to do with margin of victory.

9 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

It must have something to do with margin of victory.

In their wins, their margin of victory is 8.71, ours is 8.05 (if you cap it at 10 points).

in losses they lose by an average of 7.25, we also lose by an average of 7.25.

not too big of a difference

Teams ahead of us in NET with fewer Quad 1 wins: 

VCU

Alabama

ETSU

UNI

Houston, with a NET of 19, also has two Q1 wins: 45 (Wichita St) away and 65 (Southern Carolina) away. SLU's are 48 (Richmond) away and 51 (URI) away. It makes no sense.

Clear that UMass loss has kicked us out of that bubble tax bracket though. 

7 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Their two Q1 wins are against #32 Florida and #33 LSU.

slufan13 and billiken_roy like this

7 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

In their wins, their margin of victory is 8.71, ours is 8.05 (if you cap it at 10 points).

in losses they lose by an average of 7.25, we also lose by an average of 7.25.

not too big of a difference

That's actually a considerable difference: 0.66 points.  Think about how all 351 teams are compressed into a range between 1 and 10.  If there were an even distribution, the difference between each team is 0.02849.  0.66 represents a difference of 23 spots.

RUBillsFan likes this

Just win the next 5 and they will be in.

Our team is capable of this they way they playing now.

If we see Duquesne again the third time will be a charm.

Albany, Spokane, or Sacramento... HERE WE COME

First Four: March 17-18 -- Dayton | Tickets

First/Second Rounds: March 19, 21 -- Albany, St. Louis, Spokane, Tampa | Tickets
First/Second Rounds: March 20, 22 -- Cleveland, Greensboro, Omaha, Sacramento | Tickets

I’m not sure why a team going 2-5 against Q1 is worse than a team going 1-2 or 2-4 etc. should that Contradict at the very least some sort of strength of schedule?

Not sure this has been posted yet, but here’s the rough outline of what goes into NET. A common misconception is that winning by up to 10 points is all that matters. That’s partially true. For Part 1, it’s capped at 10 pts, but for efficiency margins, it is not capped. You can also see road games and neutral site games are very important. As someone said earlier, this is just a whole bunch of words and calculations to allow the committee to have the freedom to choose who they want 

3B34224D-7FD5-4F7B-A342-4F852926B784.jpeg

RUBillsFan likes this

I posted this before.  It is from the NCAA website.  The selection committee uses more than the NET to select At Large Teams.

Selection Criteria

The NCAA Evaluation Tool, known as the NET, is in its second year of existence and is one of many factors used by NCAA sports committees when evaluating team selection, seeding and bracketing.

The components of the NET include the Team Value Index, which is based on game results and factors game location, the opponent and outcome, as well as net efficiency, winning percentage, adjusted winning percentage and a capped scoring margin.

Other criteria the committee considers in the selections process:

• An extensive season-long evaluation of teams through watching games, conference monitoring calls and regional advisory committee rankings.
  • Complete box scores and results.
  • Head-to-head results and results versus common opponents.
  • Imbalanced conference schedules and results.
  • Overall and nonconference strength of schedule.
  • The quality of wins and losses.
  • Road record.
  • Player and coach availability.
  • Various computer metrics.

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I posted this before.  It is from the NCAA website.  The selection committee uses more than the NET to select At Large Teams.

Selection Criteria

The NCAA Evaluation Tool, known as the NET, is in its second year of existence and is one of many factors used by NCAA sports committees when evaluating team selection, seeding and bracketing.

The components of the NET include the Team Value Index, which is based on game results and factors game location, the opponent and outcome, as well as net efficiency, winning percentage, adjusted winning percentage and a capped scoring margin.

Other criteria the committee considers in the selections process:

• An extensive season-long evaluation of teams through watching games, conference monitoring calls and regional advisory committee rankings.
  • Complete box scores and results.
  • Head-to-head results and results versus common opponents.
  • Imbalanced conference schedules and results.
  • Overall and nonconference strength of schedule.
  • The quality of wins and losses.
  • Road record.
  • Player and coach availability.
  • Various computer metrics.

The best on is the last. Various computer metrics=whatever we want

billiken_roy likes this

10 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

-only thing I can see is that their conference has a  #1 seed at the moment with the thought it should have a second team, an argument I would make for the A10 is if SVU gets a #1 seed the conference should get another team

-but we will see on the 15th how corrupt or legit the process to select the field is

I try to be a moderate voice on this stuff, but can't believe ESPN's Bubble Watcher, Jon Gasaway, is still profiling Georgetown. They were a likely tournament team, but lost 2 starters due to suspension in December. They're 5-11 in the Big East, and 15-14 overall. As good as the Big East is, that's a joke profile. They've lost 4 in a row and 8 of 11. Why profile them and not SLU?

28 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

I try to be a moderate voice on this stuff, but can't believe ESPN's Bubble Watcher, Jon Gasaway, is still profiling Georgetown. They were a likely tournament team, but lost 2 starters due to suspension in December. They're 5-11 in the Big East, and 15-14 overall. As good as the Big East is, that's a joke profile. They've lost 4 in a row and 8 of 11. Why profile them and not SLU?

ESPN's old Bubble Watch guy went over to The Athletic. He's always pretty reasonable: https://theathletic.com/1648733/2020/03/03/bubble-watch-weve-never-seen-anything-quite-like-this-ucla-season/?article_source=search&search_query=eamonn

Crewsorlose likes this

20 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Eamonn Brennan is the ESPN guy who wrote the hit piece on SLU when Jared Drew left.  I don't want to link it.  I'll maintain my dislike for him even if he is more reasonable about bubble teams than another guy.

54 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Agree - he does a good job and responds to comments frequently.

32 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Eamonn Brennan is the ESPN guy who wrote the hit piece on SLU when Jared Drew left.  I don't want to link it.  I'll maintain my dislike for him even if he is more reasonable about bubble teams than another guy.

It's not just about being reasonable about bubble teams - it's about being open to critique and different opinions from subscribers. He does a nice job.

...and Jared Drew left in 2013 during the Crews era. Might be time to move on.

5 hours ago, CBFan said:

Just win the next 5 and they will be in.

Our team is capable of this they way they playing now.

If we see Duquesne again the third time will be a charm.

It’s hard to beat a good team 3 times in a row.  Dayton & Duquesne are well scouted & have no surprises for us & we are trending well.  I’m optimistic about any future meetings 🤔👍🏀🎉

Billiken Rich and Bills71 like this